As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hyberbole and a [chat]

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Pony wrote:
    Also thank god most of my friends are atheists. No one has told me god has a plan yet.

god these people are infuriating when you are suffering a loss

my sympathies, duder

Yeah I mean

I'm just really glad my mom and sister are awesome. And like, I am reminding myself that I don't have any unfinished business with my dad or anything. My mom's employed and has a pension, my sister and I are adults and can take care of ourselves.

It's a damn sight better than several people I know who lost their parents in middle school. At least I can definitely see the way forward.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • thehumandignitythehumandignity Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote:
    Sarksus I have Alpha Centauri installed.

Let's settle, and then destroy, the next frontier.

Well I'm at work now but of multiplayer works I will be up for that once I understand how the game works. Right now I have a governor doing everything so shit just happens by itself and it's really confusing. I have to learn how to do it myself.

It's actually really simple. For each citizen in a base, you can work one tile from the land nearby. Each tile provides an amount (Which may be zero) of minerals, nutrients, and energy. Minerals are used for building things. Nutrients are used for growth of population. Energy is the game's currency. So if you increase one, your base will make things faster, increasing another will make it grow, and the last will stimulate your economy, allowing you to use money to rush production, to buy research or even entire bases from other factions, or to bribe them into various other agreements.

You get a general indication of what a tile will give you from the map. Lush, green tiles will get you nutrients. Rocky tiles will get you minerals. Energy collection is done with solar panels, so higher-altitude areas will get you more energy.

Other things add new layers to it, like for example with a mid-game tech you can raise altitude of land to create mountains which will provide more energy to solar panels... but will also affect weather patterns in other areas, shifting rainfall and potentially starving or flooding other settlements.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote:
    Winky wrote:
    Chanus wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    Winky wrote:
    So I made a new "business" gmail account that forwards to my "personal" gmail account, and I set it up so that my "personal" gmail account forwards to the "business" gmail account as well.

But what would happen, then, if I used one of my accounts to e-mail the other account?

E M A I L P A R A D O X

what was the point of that

if you're forwarding all of a to b why do you need to forward all of b to a

He just wants you to explain all the ways in which he's wrong so he can learn!

:bz

The point is that I want what is essentially one e-mail account with two gmail addresses, and this was a simple way to do it.

You could make a third account and have both forward to it, and then you won't get duplicate emails.

I actually love this idea, because then I'll have a secret third e-mail address that no one but me will know about. Like it is my true name that I must keep secret because if you know it you can use it to control me.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    my fiancee's grandmother, who she was extremely close to, passed away recently

in telling my mother about this, she asked if my fiancee believed in god and i was like "No and if you do any of that 'god has a plan' or 'she's in a better place' now shit to her both of us will get really mad at you" and she was like "okay nevermind"

When my friend got raped by a cab driver while drunk, her mom's first response was to weave up some bullshit about how this was God's way to cure her of her drinking problem.

We cut that shit in the bud really fucking quick.

I assume by popping her in the mouth and informing her that if more stupid shit came out of it there would be repeat?

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Pony wrote:
    alright so

here's the story of what happened:
    okay so, SE++ had an Omegle chatlog thread

Omegle's like chat roulette minus the video and audio, it's you + random stranger paired anonymously to chat

so people were using it for all kinds of trolling and gags

i did the whole "fake murder confession" thing, where i went on, said i murdered so-and-so and this was how and when, and they'll never catch me and you'll know and they'll never believe you, ho ho ho ho!

so to make the joke work i chose a random name off a website

then i post a log of that conversation on here

unbeknownst to me at the time, this so happened to also be the name of a lawyer with ties to the DoJ and the republican party. she found out about this somehow, presumably through googling her own name (as google places an absurdly high priority on this forum) and freaked out.

she decided to swing her weight around and get the FBI involved, claiming this is a death threat (legally speaking, it isn't), which led to the DoJ badgering Tube, getting all my posts, tracking me down, finding out I'm Canadian, contacting the RCMP, and the RCMP showing up at my door.

the RCMP heard me out, listened to me explain the situation, got pretty angry that they came all that way over stupid bullshit, and were like "alright, listen, just like... write her a letter, explaining what happened and that you're sorry if you upset her or whatever"

so, i wrote a carefully worded letter doing just that, gave that to them, and that was the end of it

part of me hopes the DoJ turned on her and gave her shit for wasting everyone's time

Awesome.

Pony wrote:
    alright so

here's the story of what happened:
    okay so, SE++ had an Omegle chatlog thread

Omegle's like chat roulette minus the video and audio, it's you + random stranger paired anonymously to chat

so people were using it for all kinds of trolling and gags

i did the whole "fake murder confession" thing, where i went on, said i murdered so-and-so and this was how and when, and they'll never catch me and you'll know and they'll never believe you, ho ho ho ho!

so to make the joke work i chose a random name off a website

then i post a log of that conversation on here

unbeknownst to me at the time, this so happened to also be the name of a lawyer with ties to the DoJ and the republican party. she found out about this somehow, presumably through googling her own name (as google places an absurdly high priority on this forum) and freaked out.

she decided to swing her weight around and get the FBI involved, claiming this is a death threat (legally speaking, it isn't), which led to the DoJ badgering Tube, getting all my posts, tracking me down, finding out I'm Canadian, contacting the RCMP, and the RCMP showing up at my door.

the RCMP heard me out, listened to me explain the situation, got pretty angry that they came all that way over stupid bullshit, and were like "alright, listen, just like... write her a letter, explaining what happened and that you're sorry if you upset her or whatever"

so, i wrote a carefully worded letter doing just that, gave that to them, and that was the end of it

part of me hopes the DoJ turned on her and gave her shit for wasting everyone's time

This is kind of an amazing story.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Pony wrote:

in telling my mother about this, she asked if my fiancee believed in god and i was like "No and if you do any of that 'god has a plan' or 'she's in a better place' now shit to her both of us will get really mad at you" and she was like "okay nevermind"

When my friend got raped by a cab driver while drunk, her mom's first response was to weave up some bullshit about how this was God's way to cure her of her drinking problem.

I assume by popping her in the mouth and informing her that if more stupid shit came out of it there would be repeat?

Violence was not involved. Just a lot of "what the fuck? jesus fucking christ."

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Winky wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    oh winky i just sort of assumed you used a client with support for multiple accounts and not a web based, protocol-specific interface like some sort of troglodyte

I've considered it, but this seems far too scary and adult.

Outlook and similar programs have always been things that grown ups use for me. If I start using them, then I am become the grown up.

use thunderbird. it's young and hip and lacks all the old style, corporate connotations of outlook and exchange.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    oh i was hoping it was going to involve more gunfights and carchases

still is acceptable

a conspiracy that reaches all the way... INTO THE HALLS OF POWER

DUND UN DUN

obF2Wuw.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Haha, do you know what the french title for Hobo with a shotgun is?

"Homeless, Merciless."

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    That's what I never understood, cant handle the traffic? PA probably doesn't even have at the most peak days half of what NeoGAF's load on its slowest day.

The only issue there ever really is with GAF is when they disable avatars during E3

My understanding is that vbulletin doesn't scale very well, and the other organizations deal with it just by piling more hardware on, which is pretty expensive, and is the reason why NeoGAF and SA have interstitial ads.

The biggest difference is that the PA forums have one dedicated guy to keep them running smoothly, while a site like NeoGAF might have half a dozen techies running around herding vBulletin to work exactly like they want it to. PA is so small, they kinda need a solution that allows one guy to keep it running indefinitely.

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Pony wrote:
    oh wait what the fuck

now it's gone again

what the hell, forum

this has been happening to other people too, right?

i think spool was complaining about it

Yeah, it's happened to me a few times. The best thing is that it seems like this would be the time for drafts to shine. But of course they don't.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote:
    Chanus wrote:
    Winky wrote:
    Chanus wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    Winky wrote:
    So I made a new "business" gmail account that forwards to my "personal" gmail account, and I set it up so that my "personal" gmail account forwards to the "business" gmail account as well.

But what would happen, then, if I used one of my accounts to e-mail the other account?

E M A I L P A R A D O X

what was the point of that

if you're forwarding all of a to b why do you need to forward all of b to a

He just wants you to explain all the ways in which he's wrong so he can learn!

:bz

The point is that I want what is essentially one e-mail account with two gmail addresses, and this was a simple way to do it.

You could make a third account and have both forward to it, and then you won't get duplicate emails.

I actually love this idea, because then I'll have a secret third e-mail address that no one but me will know about. Like it is my true name that I must keep secret because if you know it you can use it to control me.

OH MAN

Get a fourth email you never check that just forwards everything from the third email to a fifth email!

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Man before my mom knew that I had been raped we were having an argument, I was like thirteen, and I tearfully yelled "Maybe there's something wrong with me, okay?" and she said "Yeah, maybe there is."

That was pretty bad

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012

"Homeless, Merciless."

...INCREDIBLE

bloodyroarxx on
    Thomamelas wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Pony wrote:

That is pretty horrific of a way for her mom to react.

Like that is seriously disgusting.

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    when i had friends going through rough times i was simultaneously always trying to be there as a shoulder and fucking terrified because i'm a retard with no life experience what the fuck do i say

I don't think anybody ever fucking knows what to say in those situations so you have try and be as supportive while saying as little as possible.

sig.gif
    Organichu wrote:
    Winky wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    oh winky i just sort of assumed you used a client with support for multiple accounts and not a web based, protocol-specific interface like some sort of troglodyte

Outlook and similar programs have always been things that grown ups use for me. If I start using them, then I am become the grown up.

use thunderbird. it's young and hip and lacks all the old style, corporate connotations of outlook and exchange.

But if I use Thunderbird then I have to use Firefox as well just because I have a dire need to complete sets.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    No I got the base and tile management stuff because it's kind of like Civ V anyway. My problem is the tech development and unit creation. Like I go in the library or data link thing and what the fuck look at all this shit there's like twelve dozen tabs to go through and what does this tech do and what is my base building, there's nothing in the queue but more shit keeps popping out god damn governor.

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote:
    when i had friends going through rough times i was simultaneously always trying to be there as a shoulder and fucking terrified because i'm a retard with no life experience what the fuck do i say

I don't think anybody ever fucking knows what to say in those situations so you have try and be as supportive while saying as little as possible.
    i think the most universal response I got was "that fuckin' sucks"

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    So the researcher who published that red wine is good for you apparently falsified much of his data.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

"Homeless, Merciless."

...INCROYABLE

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    this was the apology I wrote to the person in question:
    It has recently been brought to my attention by the RCMP that an unfortunate misunderstanding has occurred which has led to the erroneous belief that I have issued a threatening remark directed at you personally.
    The remark in question, a posting on an internet chat forum, was in no way intended to be a threatening remark issued towards you, and I will attempt to explain this circumstance and apologize for any distress this may have caused you.

The post itself was a log of an anonymously-held one-on-one chat conducted on the website Omegle.com. Given Omegle's intentionally anonymous nature and intentional function to obfuscate the identities of any involved, the website and those who use it are the frequent subject of practical jokes and ribald humor.
    In this particular instance, the chat was designed to emulate an anonymous (but fictional) murder confession. The idea being that such a confession, if true, would horrify the recepient but would leave them unable to do anything about it, as the chat itself is anonymous and the site prides itself on its reluctance to co-operate with federal law enforcement authorities.
    In order for the prank to function, a name would be required in order to lend believablity to the fictional confession. As a result, a name and location that is coincidentally identical to yours was chosen using an internet search engine.

This was not an intentional attempt on anyone's part to be issued towards you, or for any of it to affect you personally. It was simply a random selection of name and location, the digital equivalent of opening a phone book to a random page, dropping one's finger blindly on a name, and using that name regardless of who it may be.

It was just as possible that such a method could've led to the utilization of a fictional name, or a combination of name and location that does not in any way describe a real person. It is unfortunate but completely accidental that the choice in this instance led to be a combination that also happens to apply to you personally.
    If further research had been conducted by those involved in this prank, it would've been revealed that the name chosen is one that is directly linked to a real individual and that another name should have been chosen for this purpose, if not the joke itself been abandoned entirely due to its poor taste and capacity for misunderstanding as clearly exemplified by this incident.

After the joke was conducted, a log of the chat was posted to the discussion forum of Penny-Arcade.com, an internet humor and gaming website of which I am a member. The purpose of this posting was to share in the off-color and juvenile humor of the prank with other individuals.

It was never the intention of anyone involved in this material or its posting to contact or alarm you personally. I am unsure of the method by which you or law enforcement authorities became aware of this log, but it appears that method did not take into account the expressly fictional and intended humorous nature of the posting. Devoid of the context that was necessary for the posting to make sense, it is easy to comprehend how it could have been misconstrued as a threatening remark issued towards you personally.

I sincerely apologize for this misunderstanding and the method by which it occurred. I understand the serious and disturbing nature of the comment as presented without context and that this irresponsible application of juvenile humor may have caused you personal distress. I emphatically express to you and to any law enforcement authorities that may have become involved in this matter that it was at no point the intention of anyone involved to threaten or upset you personally.

The log and the comments related to it have been removed from the website so that this does not cause you any further distress or any additional misunderstandings at a future date.
    I thank you for the opportunity to explain this circumstance in detail and issue this apology, and I wish to extend my sympathy for any difficulties these events may have caused you.

you will notice i never actually apologize for anything i did personally or admit to having done anything myself

i wasn't having this thing used as a backdoor confession to get me in shit

i know better

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

"Homeless, Merciless."

...INCREDIBLE

It's almost like a tagline.

Almost translated literally, it's "no home, no mercy".

HerrCron wrote:

Yeah, you just kind of have to face the fact that you have no idea what to say to help them out and really just express that you're very empathetic to the shitty fucking time they're going through.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Winky wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    Winky wrote:
    Organichu wrote:

But if I use Thunderbird then I have to use Firefox as well just because I have a dire need to complete sets.

you have no idea how much it pain me that i use mail, ichat, pages, garageband... and google chrome

i just can't go back to safari after getting used to chrome's ui for a while + my favorite plugins

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    Man before my mom knew that I had been raped we were having an argument, I was like thirteen, and I tearfully yelled "Maybe there's something wrong with me, okay?" and she said "Yeah, maybe there is."

That was pretty bad

i am of the belief that your mom has been as much a destructive influence in your self-esteem problems as any other thing in your life

HerrCron wrote:

You listen and try offer what comfort you can. Mostly by listening or simply being there.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

"Homeless, Merciless."

The French often give movies a new English title, because the original one is tough to pronounce for Frenchies. Any Frenchman would have trouble pronouncing "shotgun".

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Winky wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    Winky wrote:
    Organichu wrote:

Well that's certainly true. Your halfassed email access does match your

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    Another recruiter call, but this one is INSANELY promising. The cynic in me knows it won't pan out, but I can't help but hope.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote:

Yeah, luckily what matters in those situations isn't what you say, it's just that you are willing to be there for them. Often saying nothing at all can be for the best.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    yami y u b so mandelbrot set

obF2Wuw.png
    Aldo wrote:

"Homeless, Merciless."

The French often give movies a new English title, because the original one is tough to pronounce for Frenchies. Any Frenchman would have trouble pronouncing "shotgun".

dude, what?

When dubbing a movie for a foreign country, they very frequently translate the title...

also, i can totally pronounce shotgun, it's the "th" syllable i have trouble with.

The title is actually "Sans abris, sans merci", which means "Homeless, Merciless".

Thomamelas wrote:
    So the researcher who published that red wine is good for you apparently falsified much of his data.

If I ever snap and start shooting people, it will likely have something to do with scientific dishonesty.

Perhaps because I have this internal notion of the scientific community being the one institution that will always at least strive towards truth.

They are tainting the only pure thing I have!

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Winky wrote:
    Thomamelas wrote:

If I ever snap and start shooting people, it will likely have something to do with scientific dishonesty.

Perhaps because I have this internal notion of the scientific community being the one institution that will always at least strive towards truth.

They are tainting the only pure thing I have!

Oh, to be so young and naive. <3

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote:

"Homeless, Merciless."

is there no french translation for shotgun?

liars gonna lie

scientists gonna science

lying scientists gonna lie while sciencing

trufax

obF2Wuw.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote:
    this was the apology I wrote to the person in question:
    It has recently been brought to my attention by the RCMP that an unfortunate misunderstanding has occurred which has led to the erroneous belief that I have issued a threatening remark directed at you personally.
    The remark in question, a posting on an internet chat forum, was in no way intended to be a threatening remark issued towards you, and I will attempt to explain this circumstance and apologize for any distress this may have caused you.

The post itself was a log of an anonymously-held one-on-one chat conducted on the website Omegle.com. Given Omegle's intentionally anonymous nature and intentional function to obfuscate the identities of any involved, the website and those who use it are the frequent subject of practical jokes and ribald humor.
    In this particular instance, the chat was designed to emulate an anonymous (but fictional) murder confession. The idea being that such a confession, if true, would horrify the recepient but would leave them unable to do anything about it, as the chat itself is anonymous and the site prides itself on its reluctance to co-operate with federal law enforcement authorities.
    In order for the prank to function, a name would be required in order to lend believablity to the fictional confession. As a result, a name and location that is coincidentally identical to yours was chosen using an internet search engine.

This was not an intentional attempt on anyone's part to be issued towards you, or for any of it to affect you personally. It was simply a random selection of name and location, the digital equivalent of opening a phone book to a random page, dropping one's finger blindly on a name, and using that name regardless of who it may be.

It was just as possible that such a method could've led to the utilization of a fictional name, or a combination of name and location that does not in any way describe a real person. It is unfortunate but completely accidental that the choice in this instance led to be a combination that also happens to apply to you personally.
    If further research had been conducted by those involved in this prank, it would've been revealed that the name chosen is one that is directly linked to a real individual and that another name should have been chosen for this purpose, if not the joke itself been abandoned entirely due to its poor taste and capacity for misunderstanding as clearly exemplified by this incident.

After the joke was conducted, a log of the chat was posted to the discussion forum of Penny-Arcade.com, an internet humor and gaming website of which I am a member. The purpose of this posting was to share in the off-color and juvenile humor of the prank with other individuals.

It was never the intention of anyone involved in this material or its posting to contact or alarm you personally. I am unsure of the method by which you or law enforcement authorities became aware of this log, but it appears that method did not take into account the expressly fictional and intended humorous nature of the posting. Devoid of the context that was necessary for the posting to make sense, it is easy to comprehend how it could have been misconstrued as a threatening remark issued towards you personally.

I sincerely apologize for this misunderstanding and the method by which it occurred. I understand the serious and disturbing nature of the comment as presented without context and that this irresponsible application of juvenile humor may have caused you personal distress. I emphatically express to you and to any law enforcement authorities that may have become involved in this matter that it was at no point the intention of anyone involved to threaten or upset you personally.

The log and the comments related to it have been removed from the website so that this does not cause you any further distress or any additional misunderstandings at a future date.
    I thank you for the opportunity to explain this circumstance in detail and issue this apology, and I wish to extend my sympathy for any difficulties these events may have caused you.

you will notice i never actually apologize for anything i did personally or admit to having done anything myself

i wasn't having this thing used as a backdoor confession to get me in shit

i know better

Wow, Im surprised Tube didn't perma-ban you. Not that you deserved a perma-banning, but if someone ever got the FBI all up in my shit, right or wrong, they would be purged with fire.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    This has happened to me before (left ventrilo on)
    zvFLM.png

This discussion has been closed.