As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Thinking about joining the military

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The day we have power armor is the day I join the military.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    Drano wrote: »
    85% of video games involve killing people.
    theres got to be some fun to it.

89% of all statistics are made up on the spot

i feel bad when i kill people in games

Their digital families don't care about your remorse, Keith.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

This is so hilarious drano, I've never heard this little spark of brilliance before, please, continue with your gut busting humor.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Believe it or not, join the reserve or national guard.

The S.F. guard units see just as much, if not more action then the regular units, and hey, you don't have half the bullshit.

Until you mobilize that is. Then it's bullshit allupins.

http://www.groups.sfahq.com/20th/

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • DranoDrano __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007

me too, i think of their families and remind myself its just a game.
    you feel bad because deep down you like it very much.

Drano on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Gafoto wrote: »

This is so hilarious drano, I've never heard this little spark of brilliance before, please, continue with your gut busting humor.

Don't encourage him

Me Too! on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2007

me too, i think of their families and remind myself its just a game.
    you feel bad because deep down you like it very much.

no, i just feel bad if i'm being a dick in a game

like in pokemon, this guy's all "the people in this town are so nice they showed me where the contest hall was it was so nice of them do you want to know where it is" and i say "no" and he's all "oh, well, okay"

and i'm :(

Garlic Bread on
  • DranoDrano __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007

dude, leave me alone, i never quote shit I've heard before and this one time i do i get called out on it?
    i'm going to crash my car into you.

Drano on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2007

man, it must've been quite hilarious if it busted your gut

Garlic Bread on
  • Ol' SparkyOl' Sparky Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    claxton wrote: »
    To some it may sound sillly, but I really want to see just how good I can be, and I'm thinking about joining special forces. Does anyone know how you join one of the special forces groups, what all special forces groups are out there, or just any information on the subject. I'm interested in how fit I should be before I sign up, as well as how you join them (Do I tell my officer I want to go special forces after I've had combat experience or when I'm enlisting.)

Ugh.

Special forces for the strategical lose.

But you want combat experience.

Ol' Sparky on
  • AirAir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    dammit when is my new internet plan gonna kick in

moving from 30gb limit to 150gb for $10 extra

should be done now

im capped atm and it is annoying

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • claxtonclaxton ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    But yeah, OP...

Are you actually in a branch of the military right now?

I'm in college right now, but I'm considing ROTC or just enlisting and finishing college when I'm done. While we're on the subject, lets say I have 2 years of college and want to go ROTC. Can I be in ROTC for just two years and then I'm an officer or what?

claxton on
    Its not enough to win. You want nothing left of your enemy but a skull nailed to a fence post so everybody understands the cost of crossing you. -Durga
    edited July 2007
    It would be important to find out these things from, say, an army recruiter rather than...you know...people on PA. Considering you're signing your life away

Ol' Sparky on
    edited July 2007
    But yeah, OP...

Are you actually in a branch of the military right now?

I'm in college right now, but I'm considing ROTC or just enlisting and finishing college when I'm done. While we're on the subject, lets say I have 2 years of college and want to go ROTC. Can I be in ROTC for just two years and then I'm an officer or what?

Dunno. I'd seriously reconsider, were I in your position.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Killing people has a cost. There is a reason Marines come back all fucked up, if they weren't already fucked up to begin with. Make sure you're willing to pay it.

FreddyD on
    edited July 2007
    Calamity Jane on
    edited July 2007
    Ol' Sparky wrote: »
    It would be important to find out these things from, say, an army recruiter rather than...you know...people on PA. Considering you're signing your life away

Recruiters will say what it takes to get you to enlist for the most part.

claxton on
    Its not enough to win. You want nothing left of your enemy but a skull nailed to a fence post so everybody understands the cost of crossing you. -Durga
    edited July 2007
    claxton on
  • Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Join the navy, you can sing

"In the Navy, Life is so Free" while dancing with the Village people.

Katchem_ash on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Really your best bet is to find someone who really knows the ins and outs of a military branch. If you're just running through basic or whatever like every other new recruit you're going to miss a lot of opportunities. A lot of times optional training is offered that most people shrug off, but that training can easily open up different "career" paths in the military. The only way you'll find out about these is by talking to something who has spent years in the service.

Basically you want to be as well informed as possible, if you plan on doing this. Talking to a recruiter is a great way to get basic information, but the Army at least is still pretty much an old boy's club. People with years and years of experience are going to be able to explain how to set up a path to get better pay, different positions, that sort of thing. It's nothing hush hush secret or anything, just stuff that most people, I understand, will shrug off as a waste of their time and miss out on shit.

Cilla Black on
  • MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Some of the stuff they have listed as a requirement isn't that rough.

For instance
    12. Prepare yourself for the Special Forces application requirements. For example, a candidate must make a 12-mile road march carrying a 55-lb rucksack and a weapon in 4.5 hours.

Thats roughly 25kg and 19.5 kms in 4.5 hours. In Australia we frequently do 15km with more weight in about 2 hours (we aren't allowed to finish faster than this due to ohs rules).

There is very little in the way of concrete information, but then again all spec ops like to keep their requirements somewhat under wraps.

Don't do it just challenge yourself mate. I've met, and worked with green berets. The guys are tough and are there cos thats where they want to be. If you are doing it for the wrong reasons forget it, they will kick you out so fast and you will not be able to cope with pressures and difficulties. It will be "FUCK THIS SHIT, I HAD A GOOD LIFE BACK HOME" and off you will storm. I've seen it a number of times with people who didn't really want to be in the military but thought it would make a man of them or something.

If you have a good look inside and decide its the path you want, you still have a long way to go - before any spec ops group in the world will look at you, you need basic military combat training, and the more advanced stuff if you can help get it. You need to have an innate understanding of not only your country, but every other, their military groups and militias and how it all interacts.

You need to prove yourself an effective soldier and garner praise from superiors, go above and beyond so often that you can be relied on to do so. Languages in demand can help as well. Be exceptionally fit, and not just gym fit, I mean out there climbing trees, mountains and all the stuff which focuses more on other areas. Believe it or not, skydiving and white water rafting are highly regarded by SAS here, as is dirt biking and rally car driving.

MrIamMe on
    edited July 2007
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    Some of the stuff they have listed as a requirement isn't that rough.

For instance
    12. Prepare yourself for the Special Forces application requirements. For example, a candidate must make a 12-mile road march carrying a 55-lb rucksack and a weapon in 4.5 hours.

Thats roughly 25kg and 19.5 kms in 4.5 hours. In Australia we frequently do 15km with more weight in about 2 hours (we aren't allowed to finish faster than this due to ohs rules).

There is very little in the way of concrete information, but then again all spec ops like to keep their requirements somewhat under wraps.

Don't do it just challenge yourself mate. I've met, and worked with green berets. The guys are tough and are there cos thats where they want to be. If you are doing it for the wrong reasons forget it, they will kick you out so fast and you will not be able to cope with pressures and difficulties. It will be "FUCK THIS SHIT, I HAD A GOOD LIFE BACK HOME" and off you will storm. I've seen it a number of times with people who didn't really want to be in the military but thought it would make a man of them or something.

If you have a good look inside and decide its the path you want, you still have a long way to go - before any spec ops group in the world will look at you, you need basic military combat training, and the more advanced stuff if you can help get it. You need to have an innate understanding of not only your country, but every other, their military groups and militias and how it all interacts.

You need to prove yourself an effective soldier and garner praise from superiors, go above and beyond so often that you can be relied on to do so. Languages in demand can help as well. Be exceptionally fit, and not just gym fit, I mean out there climbing trees, mountains and all the stuff which focuses more on other areas. Believe it or not, skydiving and white water rafting are highly regarded by SAS here, as is dirt biking and rally car driving.

I've wanted to get into martial arts (before wanting to be a SEAL) but I live in a small town. Can you recommend a martial arts program?

claxton on
    edited July 2007
    I did min chien kung fu, its a martial art based around soft defence, hard attack.

But really, most have a free lesson, so go along and find out what works best for you since everyones body works differently. For me, I prefer to flow my defence and use their own attacks to distract and put them off balance.

We had one guy who did judo and ninjitsu and man no one could beat that fucker.

But really, if its getting to close combat, you are in trouble. Knives, crossbows and pistols are made for close in work, and I've only ever used martial arts as a last resort, and never in actual combat.

MrIamMe on
    edited July 2007
    If you're really in it just to challenge yourself, no patriotic motives or anything...

French Foreign Legion.

Ol' Sparky on
    edited July 2007
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    I did min chien kung fu, its a martial art based around soft defence, hard attack.

But really, most have a free lesson, so go along and find out what works best for you since everyones body works differently. For me, I prefer to flow my defence and use their own attacks to distract and put them off balance.

We had one guy who did judo and ninjitsu and man no one could beat that fucker.

But really, if its getting to close combat, you are in trouble. Knives, crossbows and pistols are made for close in work, and I've only ever used martial arts as a last resort, and never in actual combat.

The SAS uses crossbows?

claxton on
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    To some it may sound sillly, but I really want to see just how good I can be, and I'm thinking about joining special forces. Does anyone know how you join one of the special forces groups, what all special forces groups are out there, or just any information on the subject. I'm interested in how fit I should be before I sign up, as well as how you join them (Do I tell my officer I want to go special forces after I've had combat experience or when I'm enlisting.)

This doesn't sound silly so much as naive. If you really are patriotic to the point where you want to fight for this country, go ahead. I'm not telling you not to join the military.

But please don't think of it as badass summer camp.

For the record, I am not and never have been in any military. I just think that it needs to be taken very seriously.

Defender on
    edited July 2007
    Oh my god "ninjitsu" somehow got mentioned.

Defender on
    edited July 2007
    If you're really in it just to challenge yourself, no patriotic motives or anything...

French Foreign Legion.

There are a number of reasons I want to join. I've had a friend die in Iraq, a grandfather (that I never met) was special forces, another grandfather was in the military, I like backpacking/rockclimbing, I don't want to end up like my friends who are in the process of dropping out and becoming full out drug addicts et cetera

claxton on
    edited July 2007
    Yep, I have a few friends who got past barrier and the course and got in. They also use shotguns, stun guns and whatever the hell they need/want to get the job done.

The foreign legion is a shadow of what it used to be. March or die is long gone, and now its more like a branch of the french army that foreigners can join as a way of getting french citizenship. They don't even hide crims anymore, and there are only about 15 000 of them now too.

Still, if you are fit enough and they think they can use you, the FFL isn't a bad way to go, and most militarys respect them, so you will be more likely to get promoted etc.

MrIamMe on
    edited July 2007
    Your friend died in Iraq and this makes you want to join up because you don't want to waste your life.

OK. No disrespect to your fallen friend, but I don't see the logic.

Also if you don't want to drop out and be a druggie, stay the fuck in school and don't use illegal substances. Get a job and try to be good at it. Maybe move to a bigger town.

Defender on
    edited July 2007
    Wiggin wrote: »
    OP played SOCOM too fucking much.

Weird thing is, a lot of applicants to SEALS in recent years have mentioned that game a shitton.

My mom's friend's nephew, David, is a SEAL. I guess a few years back, she asked him what he did, and he said "I could tell you but I'd have to kill you." She starts laughing, and he goes, "No, seriously. If I told you, I'd have to kill you. You can't know what I do."
    I was like, "Whoa. Awesome."

what a tool

What a HILARIOUS tool.

I'm also not sure what to make of this IAmMe guy. I mean I see somebody mention "ninjitsu" and kung fu and then say he likes to "flow his defense and use his opponent's attacks to distract them and get them off balance." I mean that just sounds like bullshit from someone who watched American Ninja and maybe Enter The Dragon.

Defender on
    edited July 2007
    Defender wrote: »
    Your friend died in Iraq and this makes you want to join up because you don't want to waste your life.

Also if you don't want to drop out and be a druggie, stay the fuck in school and don't use illegal substances. Get a job and try to be good at it. Maybe move to a bigger town.

Those are my high school friends that started doing drugs in college. I don't really do anything with them anymore. They're just an example of what I don't want to be.

And I don't see how having a friend that died not a valid reason to join. If our country falls then he will have died in vain and I don't want that.

Anyways I'm going to bed.

claxton on
    edited July 2007

Those are my high school friends that started doing drugs in college. I don't really do anything with them anymore. They're just an example of what I don't want to be.

And I don't see how having a friend that died not a valid reason to join. If our country falls then he will have died in vain and I don't want that.

Well I mean you'd usually join a military force because you believe in their cause or love the country they're defending or something. "My friend joined them and got killed" is usually not a glowing recommendation.

Anyway, my point is that if you just want to avoid being a drugged-out loser, all you really have to do is not use drugs.

Defender on
    edited July 2007

If the country falls? What?

I think worth isn't determined by joining a branch of the military. You don't have to get shot at to honor his life is all Defender is trying to get at. Or at least that's what I think.

Calamity Jane on
    edited July 2007
    I just think that it needs to be taken very seriously.

If I knew how to lime, Id lime this so fucking hard, it would form a giant boner.

Ive seen WAY too many people hit basic and realise, OH SHIT. Its a waste of time and money cos they will do their basic period then get out, and they never make good soldiers.

Seriously, I want to serve my country is a bullshit reason. If you want to serve your country, become a police officer, or a fireman, or an ambo or doctor. Hell even a politician. They help the country. They serve.

A soldier FIGHTS. He puts it all on the line for what he knows is right in his gut. Its the most demanding, difficult and draining job I have ever done. Low pay too. Guess what? Its where I belong. Thats why Im going back.

If you don't have this desire, then sure, you might make a passable soldier. But spec ops? Not a hope.

MrIamMe on
    edited July 2007

Recruiters will say what it takes to get you to enlist for the most part.

Talk to Weaver.

Defender on
    edited July 2007
    Jesus christ everyone here is a faggot I'm just trying to see if I have a fucking shot quit assuming I'm not motived and that I'm some faggot who played Socom too much. I don't know what I'm going to do with my life yet, just considering my options.

edit: Rant not directed at MrIamMe. Thanks for all the information.

claxton on
    edited July 2007
    Well, good luck asshole.

Calamity Jane on
    edited July 2007
    In their defense

H/A

Ol' Sparky on
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think you should join.

Chicks dig traumatized war veterans.

ChicoBlue on