As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] PAX East registration is live! - 3 Day, Friday and Saturday Passes Sold Out

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Alęx wrote:
    Oh my god... hotel and travel paid for and now the passes are sold out.
    You can always buy 3 single day passes.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    Alęx wrote:
    You can always buy 3 single day passes.

3 single days is also going to be cheaper than a scalped pass or anything of the sort, and you know you it's legit!

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    MasterRokkuMasterRokku Registered User regular
    Won't say were I saw them because I don't want to get hit with an infraction, but someone is selling PAX East 3 day badges for $300.00 per badge! Kind of makes me sick that someone would take the opportunity away from someone who really wants to go just to make a cheap buck.

PAX South Status: [x] Room @ The Marriot - [x] 3 day pass - [x] Vacation scheduled
  • Options
    v1ralv1ral Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    A week before the convention, those $250-$300 3 day badges will be all bought up..

It's also awesome that business licenses are now required for Media badges. It should definitely weed out the fakes! All my Media stuff has been submitted, just waiting for approval!

v1ral on
  • Options
    arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    Alęx wrote:

I'd feel bad, but you've apparently been to PAX East twice already ...

Best get on 3 One-Days in a hurry

I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • Options
    jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote:
    zerzhul wrote:
    They usually announce when they're down around 1000 badges or so left. This year they announced 10% (which is probably more than 1000). PAX is popular. It's going to sell out faster and faster every year. They DO care about people getting to go, but they can't exactly help that the convention is popular and that the popularity is increasing.
    True, but 10% left which is about 5k-6k lasted 2 days. Where as last year that last 10% lasted a couple weeks and Pax didn't sell out until about 3 weeks beforeish.
    10% is probably under 2000 badges, assuming attendance is similar to last year. PAX East 2011 was sold out and had 23,167 attendees/day (data from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35775710/PAX Scales 2.1 10percent.jpg).

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    zepherin wrote:
    zerzhul wrote:
    They usually announce when they're down around 1000 badges or so left. This year they announced 10% (which is probably more than 1000). PAX is popular. It's going to sell out faster and faster every year. They DO care about people getting to go, but they can't exactly help that the convention is popular and that the popularity is increasing.
    True, but 10% left which is about 5k-6k lasted 2 days. Where as last year that last 10% lasted a couple weeks and Pax didn't sell out until about 3 weeks beforeish.
    10% is probably under 2000 badges, assuming attendance is similar to last year. PAX East 2011 was sold out and had 23,167 attendees/day (data from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35775710/PAX Scales 2.1 10percent.jpg).

I believe it was stated back when badges went on sale that they added capacity for this year. I *think* it was 20% additional capacity, but I don't have a source to quote off hand to validate that number. I think that zepherin likely didn't know that the "attendance" numbers that are quoted are turnstile and not badge count.

Edit: ah, here's the tweet I was referencing
    cwgabriel wrote:
    a couple people have asked. Yes we have increased the size of PAX East this year. I think by about 20%

I guess that doesn't necessarily mean a badge count increase, but I think that's what he was referring to.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    v1ral wrote:
    A week before the convention, those $250-$300 3 day badges will be all bought up..

It's also awesome that business licenses are now required for Media badges. It should definitely weed out the fakes! All my Media stuff has been submitted, just waiting for approval!

I'm not going this year, but I would like to say this is a great change. I got bumped in lines for demos several times last year by media members that I would say were dubious at best - twice in the same line to play Gunstringer actually. They clog the aisle with cameras and tend to hog the time of the exhibitors.

Frankly, I'd like to see the media badges go away entirely and have everyone just have a regular badge because it tempts exhibitors to let people line jump or take up all their time.

• Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Alęx wrote:

I'm not sure why you would have had to pay for a hotel before checking in...

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Chorazin wrote:
    Alęx wrote:

I'm not sure why you would have had to pay for a hotel before checking in...

Sometimes hotels offer better/special rates if you pre pay for your hotel. They might not have booked via OnPeak

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    WodrithWodrith Registered User regular
    I generally always pre-pay because the rates can be very good that way. Bad thing is alot of pre-pay rates also come with no cancellations allowed 0.o.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Wodrith wrote:
    I generally always pre-pay because the rates can be very good that way. Bad thing is alot of pre-pay rates also come with no cancellations allowed 0.o.
    And sometimes they still walk you if they overbook, now you have some options, but if your at Seaport and you get walked, there is no place they are going to put you that makes it ok.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    zepherin wrote:
    zerzhul wrote:

That brings back some awesome memories. PAX 07 was the best PAX to date and will probably remain the best PAX of all time. It wad the first year in the Down Town Seattle Convention center, more than doubling the available space. Lines were almost non-existant for anything you wanted to see. It was also the year where Will Wheaten did the keynote. I wish evey PAX could be as awesome as 07.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    bushisprezbushisprez Registered User regular
    Yeah I tended to wonder how many people with media badges were legit cause I would think anyone with the simple means of having a youtube page that featured unboxing videos and their own reviews/opinions could have got in. I thought they were supposed to wait in line like everyone else but that was probably a myth since the exhibitor wants the publicity. I was fortunate enough to meet one of the guys from bitmob and his bro at the subway and hitched a ride with them back to the same hotel, one of the things that made PAX East memorable. Although G4TV will definitely return maybe I'll finally meet Sessler spotted him at the brink party along with a few others noticeable faces but he was surrounded...

[x] Hotel booked
    [x] Ride Booked
    [x] 3-day Pass
    Will be more prepared than ever for the show than the previous year. XP!!!!!
  • Options
    v1ralv1ral Registered User regular
    They would never get rid of Media badges, that would just be a stupid idea. Media have schedules. Which explains the line cutting.

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Exhibitor booths are different than the rest of PAX and typically run things their own way. Unfortunately, this means that some exhibitors will bump people off of machines for media appointments. Some booths, however, keep demo stations for media separate from others, which prevent them from having to bump people from machines, but also give the appearance of empty demo stations when there is no media present.

It's a delicate balance.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    bushisprez wrote:
    Yeah I tended to wonder how many people with media badges were legit...
    The requirements have gotten stricter over the years (see this year's requirements: http://east.paxsite.com/registration.php), but there has always been a "legit" bar that any Media badge holder needed to meet before getting their badge.

"We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • Options
    VilaptcaVilaptca Registered User new member
    This will be my first year going, I bought 3-day passes as soon as they were available. Just curious, do we receive these in the mail sometime before the event, or we pick them up at the event?

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Vilaptca wrote:
    This will be my first year going, I bought 3-day passes as soon as they were available. Just curious, do we receive these in the mail sometime before the event, or we pick them up at the event?
    • If you are in the USA, you will receive it in the mail a couple of weeks prior to PAX.
    • If you are not in the USA but selected and paid for fedex shipping, you will receive it along the same sort of schedule.
    • If you are not in the USA and did not pay for fedex shipping, you pick it up with proper ID and barcodes at the event.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    I snag the passes as soon as I see them go up. This is only my second Pax, but I learn fast. I watch the site everyday until the passes go up then follow up. I buy two just in case a friend of mine needs one and can't buy in time.
    Hotel and flight only happen once I'm fully committed. Passes come first.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I snag the passes as soon as I see them go up. This is only my second Pax, but I learn fast. I watch the site everyday until the passes go up then follow up. I buy two just in case a friend of mine needs one and can't buy in time.

The way everyone should do this.

Make sure you can get into an event first before booking travel/lodgings for said event.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    THE NINESTHE NINES Registered User regular
    "The way everyone should do this" . . . Yes every one buy one more pass then you need. That way they sell out even faster next year necessitating ebay, and the need ticket threat that is no longer allowed.

JUSSYIN!

"Edamame?! You know, Soy BEANS?! Well if you dont have it why is it ON THE BOARD?! TAKE IT OFF THE BOARD!!" -Edamame Enforcer
  • Options
    GooseyGooseGooseyGoose Registered User regular
    THE NINES wrote:
    "The way everyone should do this" . . . Yes every one buy one more pass then you need. That way they sell out even faster next year necessitating ebay, and the need ticket threat that is no longer allowed.

JUSSYIN!

I bought 127 of them to hand out as party favors for my wedding.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Based on the follow-on statement, I read that as an endorsement of buying your pass before travel/lodging. Which is intrinsically sensible.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Oops! Infraction!

Better not call anyone on the forum anymore. Expecially not the BYOC manager.

Assuming you did such a gesture, would all 127 of these people be going to PAX? Theres not the off chance that someone wont go and that's another pass out of the hands of someone who would otherwise?

"Edamame?! You know, Soy BEANS?! Well if you dont have it why is it ON THE BOARD?! TAKE IT OFF THE BOARD!!" -Edamame Enforcer
  • Options
    THE NINES wrote:
    Oops! Infraction!

Assuming you did such a gesture, would all 127 of these people be going to PAX? Theres not the off chance that someone wont go and that's another pass out of the hands of someone who would otherwise?

Nobody is advocating buying more than you need. People are advocating getting a pass before paying for hotel/travel. I'm not sure what's so hard about this.

• Options

"I buy two just in case.

Thats what I was getting at.

• Options
    WuzzelWuzzel CanadalandRegistered User new member

I bought 127 of them to hand out as party favors for my wedding.

Awesome! :D

• Options
    WUZZLE! We meet again.

• Options
    EvelynEvelyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    THE NINES wrote:

"I buy two just in case."

I always find myself with friends in need of passes, so I see nothing wrong with doing this. I still think that zerzhul is right, though. Everyone is referring to what BigRed was saying about buying passes first and thinking about the details afterward.

Evelyn on
  • Options
    THE NINES wrote:
    Oops! Infraction!

It was in jest. If I did do this, I'm sure almost nobody would go.

• Options
    lol i figured. . . also can i come to your wedding? Please.

. . . im so lonely . . .

• Options
    THE NINES wrote:
    lol i figured. . . also can i come to your wedding? Please.

. . . im so lonely . . .

haha it already happened awhile ago. Hey, maybe the next one!

• Options
    WuzzelWuzzel CanadalandRegistered User new member
    haha it already happened awhile ago. Hey, maybe the next one!

Nope, you only get proposed to one time.

• Options
    harrisjrharrisjr Registered User regular
    I'm in Canada, ordered my PAX East 3-day pass but forgot to select FEDEX option. I'm aware I can pick it up at will-call, but is there any way to pay to have it shipped after the fact?

• Options
    KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    THE NINES wrote:

"I buy two just in case.

If you had read a bit further you would have seen the rest of the sentence stating " a friend of mine needs one and can't buy in time."
    For your information I bought a pass for one friend last year, she couldn't make it, and that pass I gave to another friend in need.
    I don't go around hogging passes for sh*ts, grins, and giggles sake. :P

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Options
    MxWoodMxWood Registered User regular
    THE NINES wrote:

"I buy two just in case.

If you had read a bit further you would have seen the rest of the sentence stating " a friend of mine needs one and can't buy in time."
    For your information I bought a pass for one friend last year, she couldn't make it, and that pass I gave to another friend in need.
    I don't go around hogging passes for sh*ts, grins, and giggles sake. :P

I do, I horde all the passes and then I have a nice plastic bonfire before pax and laugh at all the people who missed out.

• Options
    harrisjr wrote:
    I'm in Canada, ordered my PAX East 3-day pass but forgot to select FEDEX option. I'm aware I can pick it up at will-call, but is there any way to pay to have it shipped after the fact?
    I don't think you can change this after the fact, but pax_questions@paxsite.com would know. Please let us know what they say so we can have clarity here.

• Options
    stregapezstregapez Registered User new member
    I may not be able to attend PAX this year, so I'd like to get a refund on my ticket if that's the case. I see we aren't allowed to sell tickets on this site, so hopefully a refund will be granted.

How do I go about getting a refund? I emailed pax_questions, but haven't had a response. Thanks!

• Options
    stregapez wrote:
    I may not be able to attend PAX this year, so I'd like to get a refund on my ticket if that's the case. I see we aren't allowed to sell tickets on this site, so hopefully a refund will be granted.

How do I go about getting a refund? I emailed pax_questions, but haven't had a response. Thanks!
    If you can get a refund (I'm not sure, but I think not), you've already emailed the only people that can help you.