As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Magic: the Gathering: Cardboard Crack

• WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    Must ... have ... Havengul Lich .... for ... UB Zombie Mill ....

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Also it seems like they're printing quite a few multicoloured cards for this.
    We've already got more multicoloured cards than all of Innistrad, which was 100 cards larger overall.

Sir Fabulous on
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Thalia is mai waifu

jCyyTSo.png
  • peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    i dont like the werewolves that are bad in their human form, 1/2 for 3 bleh

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure Thalia will replace a couple of the Grand Abolishers in my white human deck.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited January 2012
    gonna run her and the white chancellor lol

then somehow destroy lands. w/g or w/r deck agogo

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    I'm gonna nickname Lambholt Elder "Granny's Payback".

And I missed that Séance was each upkeep. You're right: still junk, but at least now it has an actual use.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Vyolynce wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Yep, looks like Sorin is preordering at $50.

$55 on SCG, so yeah.

...bumped to $60 on SCG, $59 on CFB, and $57 on CSI...

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote:
    Vyolynce wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Yep, looks like Sorin is preordering at $50.

$55 on SCG, so yeah.

...bumped to $60 on SCG, $59 on CFB, and $57 on CSI...

Silliness. Which annoys me, because I want a playset of Sorin's.

oh h*ck
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Scorned Villager's gonna be pretty sweet in draft, I think. I could be wrong, but it just smacks of that "unexpectedly annoying" vibe.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    edited January 2012
    Beguiler of Wills 3UU
    Human Wizard - (M)
    T: Gain control of target creature with power less than or equal to the number of creatures you control.
    1/1

Note: this control change does not expire.

EDIT: A turn 2 Scored Villager makes it REALLY painful for your opponent to not have a turn 2/3 play. Fortunately there will never be more than 8 (realistically 3 or 4) of them in any given 8-man draft.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    All the mythics revealed so far are so bad... which is good news for my wallet.

V0Gug2h.png
    Chen wrote:

Unless you want Sorins. :P

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote:
    Chen wrote:

Really at 60 dollars might as well just buy a booster box. Which I already did, along with a fat pack and the five intro packs. 50 damn boosters. Better draw at least 1 of him.

JJ wrote:
    Really at 60 dollars might as well just buy a booster box. Which I already did, along with a fat pack and the five intro packs. 50 damn boosters. Better draw at least 1 of him.

Assuming a truly random distribution of cards at the understood rarities, 50 boosters should net you just over 60% chance of getting a Sorin. (This assumes that there are 10 mythics in the set just like Besieged.)

I had done the math already since I'm getting a booster and my and my son will be doing the release Limited tournament: 48 packs.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    JJ wrote:
    Vyolynce wrote:
    Chen wrote:

Presuming the set has 10 Mythics, and none of them are double-sided, your chances of pulling a Sorin are about 47%.

If one of the Mythics is double-sided, that increases your chances to about 50% (since a double-sided Mythic rare won't take up a normal Mythic rare slot).

This doesn't include foil slots, BTW, just because those chances are negligible if you're not a dealer opening cases.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

There should be 11 mythics with 1 double-sided (legendary Werewolf) if it holds up to the same pattern as Innistrad; Garruk was mythic 16 of 15. For Sorin's purposes, there are 10 mythics.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    @Feral - Okay, where is my math wrong? He should pull 6 mythics out of 48 packs, assuming 1 mythic per 8 packs.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

edited January 2012
    WuShock wrote:
    @Feral - Okay, where is my math wrong? He should pull 6 mythics out of 48 packs, assuming 1 mythic per 8 packs.

Well, I'm not sure I'm right, but here's how I work these things out.

1 Mythic out of 8 packs, and 1 out of 10 mythics is Sorin. That means 1/80 probability of getting Sorin in a given booster.

That means the probability of not getting a Sorin in a single booster is 79/80.

The probability of not getting a Sorin across 50 boosters is (79/80)^50, which is 0.533.

Subtract that from 1 and you get 0.467.

Feral on

That's what I get for being lazy with my math. You're right.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    Goddammit math! Why do you work against me? Well, ow I have an understanding of the probability of pulling mythics.

equip a few phantom dancers and you'll be fine. with 3 PDs you can probably get 14 sorins per pack.

jCyyTSo.png
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hell, I just want one Sorin, but there's no way I'm paying anything near that for the privilege.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    well gee after you guys told me how cool it was to buy singles, I'm reading posts here and once again debating buying a box.

so it's currently fat pack + singles, or fat pack + box + singles... my get some/all the intro sets too.

jCyyTSo.png
    Unless you're planning to draft a lot, I would hold off until the full spoiler is released. The number of chase rares so far is abysmal.

V0Gug2h.png
    chase rare = rare you have to chase for, because it's likee the only good rare with the other 15 rares being shit?

also, my friend just told me something that implies no flip pw this set.... was this confirmed anywhere?

jCyyTSo.png
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    So far the set looks a lot like Worldwake 2.0. One good Mythic and then a bunch of rares worth $4. Hopefully this will change as spoiler season moves forward.

PikaPuff wrote:
    chase rare = rare you have to chase for, because it's likee the only good rare with the other 15 rares being shit?

also, my friend just told me something that implies no flip pw this set.... was this confirmed anywhere?

ssepsalaz5_en.jpg

None of those look like Planeswalkers to me.

PikaPuff wrote: »
    well gee after you guys told me how cool it was to buy singles, I'm reading posts here and once again debating buying a box.

so it's currently fat pack + singles, or fat pack + box + singles... my get some/all the intro sets too.

I stand behind the general advice to buy singles. I want a Sorin, but there's no fucking way I'm paying $60 + S&H.

Look at the last "big fucking deal" planeswalkers: Liliana and Garruk. Both were pushing absurd numbers at release and for weeks afterwards. Right now I can buy each for $25 and $22 apiece, respectively. Which is still high, but makes me think that unless another card/combo comes to blow them right the fuck up with the 2nd/3rd set, I might be able to snag one of each for ~$10-15 or less, which is pretty much my limit for an individual single, and then only in extremely rare occasions.

edited January 2012
    Forar wrote:
    PikaPuff wrote: »

I stand behind the general advice to buy singles. I want a Sorin, but there's no fucking way I'm paying $60 + S&H.

Look at the last "big fucking deal" planeswalkers: Liliana and Garruk. Both were pushing absurd numbers at release and for weeks afterwards. Right now I can buy each for $25 and $22 apiece, respectively. Which is still high, but makes me think that unless another card/combo comes to blow them right the fuck up with the 2nd/3rd set, I might be able to snag one of each for ~$10-15 or less, which is pretty much my limit for an individual single, and then only in extremely rare occasions.

Liliana has a lot of utility, so I wouldn't expect her to go much lower than $20 while she's standard-legal. She's more like an Elspeth or a Gideon in that you can put 2 of her in any deck of the appropriate color and she makes the deck better just by being there. The only things that could drive her lower are a core set reprint, which wouldn't happen until 2013 and that's getting close to the end of her standard lifecycle; or some big unpredictable metagame shakeup.

Feral on

Yeah, but I'm not lusting after one or anything. As I'm contractually obligated to note, I purely play casual EDH. If I have to wait a year to get a card for a reasonable rate, so be it. Having one is nice, being able to wait means I can try to avoid the early crush/premium, and sometimes I either bite the bullet and drop $20 on a mythic, or I see it climb higher than I'm willing to pay and do without.

I mean, I'm looking forward to buying up some DA in the coming weeks from my usual places, but I probably won't spend more than $5 on a card, and even those'll be infrequent rarities. These days I'm all about the cost effective cards, not the chase mythics that the better funded tournament players think are worth $200 a set. ... or are hoping are worth $200 a set and in a self fulfilling prophecy drive it up that high. :-P

edited January 2012
    Speaking of EDH and card affordability, I particularly like Jar of Eyeballs as a potential alternative to Sensei's Divining Top in creature-heavy EDH decks.

Because you need that scry+draw functionality in EDH, but at $10-15 a pop, I don't ever have enough to go around.

Feral on

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    They previewed the R/G werewolf, and boy is he a doozy.

• peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    yeah he's cool!

d0i0s12uwj_en.jpg81f20tdu7g_en.jpg

That's a lot of stuff going on for 4 mana.

Reckless Waif and Wolfbitten Captive at 1
    Mayor of Avabruck and Scorned Villager at 2
    Everwolf and Kruin Outlaw at 3
    Huntmaster of the Fells at 4

That's a deck.

I dunno if it's a good deck.

But it's a deck.

• B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    Right now I can see werewolves being taken two ways

Aggro: Both of the one drops, Both of the two drops, Everwolf, Kruin Outlaw, Moonmist, Burn
    Midrange: Mayor, Daybreak Ranger, Mondronen Shaman, Huntsmaster of the Fells, Moonmist, whipflare, burn

Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
    And they're both going to be awful.

Well, it's true!

V0Gug2h.png
    Werewolves do seem like more of a Limited play than a Constructed play. I could see drafting Everwolf and a couple of other good werewolves and giving people fits, but for constructed ... they're just too ... random, I think.

Then again, I'm still fairly new to this and I've been derpy all week, so there you go.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

I like the concept of the werewolf mechanic, but between the randomness involved and the often lacklustre numbers for power/toughness as their baseline, I can't see myself building a deck around them like I have with other mechanics.

Really hope we see some impressive Undying cards though. More and more I want to build an EDH deck full of those creatures, Persist creatures and reusable methods of handing out +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters to creatures (my own and others). In a creature heavy meta like my usual playgroup is, it'd practically be impervious to anything but a double wrath.

As I recall Persist showed up in all 5 colours to some degree, but I'd probably try to narrow it down to 2-3 at most, depending on what seemed best as a general and picking from the cards in those sets. Green/White definitely (Heartmender, Forgotten Ancient), probably not Blue, Black would give me access to more -1/-1's, but I've already got 2 GBW decks built (Doran Infect and Ghave Tokens) so that seems a bit redundant. I suppose I could make it another Doran deck to abuse easy buff equipment as I have with Infect.

Really I just need to wait and see what else we get in Undying. If the creatures there are strong enough, it might even swing my colour choices. Pretty sure Green and White are locked in unless we see something stellar in two others.