As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

more noob questions

postermonkeypostermonkey Registered User regular
edited July 2006 in PAX Archive
for those of you who went last year or are locals ..

whats the area surrounding the convention center / hotels like? are there any stores / mini marts? restraunts ? BARS??

will snack / beer runs be a pain without a car?

has anyone stayed at the extanded stay america ? is it a dive?

anyone else thinking about staying there?

postermonkey on

• JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    From what I can remember, theres a couple grocery stores not too far from the maydenbauer. Ive walked to the QFC the last two PAXs, but it is pretty far and might be preferable to drive.

Theres a Denny's right across the freeway, a Dairy Queen right on the other side of the Maydenbauer, and a Subway pretty close too.

Downtown Bellevue is pretty compact, so it is possible to get practically anywhere walking.

They always have a little map in the programs anyway, so don't worry about being lost.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    JoahW wrote:
    Theres a Denny's right across the freeway, a Dairy Queen right on the other side of the Maydenbauer, and a Subway pretty close too.

Note:

Both that subway and dairyqueen have been demolished.

Theres another subway but its like 4-5 blocks away and not next to the mbc.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Holy shit they knocked down the Dairy Queen? Who are we gonna run out of ice cream now?

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    ctishman wrote:
    Holy shit they knocked down the Dairy Queen? Who are we gonna run out of ice cream now?

Yeah, I know. I knew they knocked down the Subway, but I just found out about the DQ not too long ago.

Those fuckers will pay!

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
    edited July 2006
    ctishman wrote:

Yup, that whole corner block has been torn down and dug up (including the old lanwerks building). I heard from ze rumor mill that the MBC is expanding.
    Either that or another highrise is going in.

The office building I beleive is completed on the block where that subway was at.

BigRed on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    There is a Subway two blocks from the Maydenbauer right underneath my dentists office.

Also a Safeway and many many resturants are within a four block radius of the convention center.

Weaver on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    Weaver wrote:
    There is a Subway two blocks from the Maydenbauer right underneath my dentists office.

Also a Safeway and many many resturants are within a four block radius of the convention center.

Yes, but that's not one block.

And it's more like three blocks.

Legacy on
    edited July 2006
    and bellevue city blocks arent like normal city blocks. They are like 1/4-1/2 mile each.

The double tree is *only* 3 blocks away whch somehow turns out to be 1 mile.

BigRed on
    edited July 2006
    BigRed wrote:
    and bellevue city blocks arent like normal city blocks. They are like 1/4-1/2 mile each.

The double tree is *only* 3 blocks away whch somehow turns out to be 1 mile.

Exactly.

Legacy on
  • TherosTheros Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Bellevue Blocks are the same as Richmond Blocks!

Half mile to a side squares... >.>

Theros on
  • flatrabbitflatrabbit King of Toast That place, over there.Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    BigRed wrote:
    Yup, that whole corner block has been torn down and dug up (including the old lanwerks building). I heard from ze rumor mill that the MBC is expanding.
    Either that or another highrise is going in.

The office building I beleive is completed on the block where that subway was at.
    Actually it's a two building development (one 13 floors & the other 23 floors) with a retail and restaurant "village" on the ground levels and office space above. To be completed in '08

Check their site for concept renderings and site plans.

The Bravern

flatrabbit on
    --"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
  • David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited July 2006
    I read an article in the paper that said some fancy-pants uber-expensive-supreme store was taking over the DQ lot. The kind of thing where you can blow a couple thousand dollars on a sweater, or something.

In the same lot a Dairy Queen was in before.

Hah. Hah. Hah hah. Hah.

David Coffman on
    edited July 2006
    This will not do. We must talk to the local confectioners and have a vendor come out to satisfy our unending need for blizzards!

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    edited July 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    ctishman wrote:

Yeah, I know. I knew they knocked down the Subway, but I just found out about the DQ not too long ago.

Those fuckers will pay!
    I live in Seattle, but theres really no reason to go to Bellevue besides PAX, so i haven't heard of these demolitions. :P

The Dairy Queen was pretty useless except for frozen treats anyway, wasn't it? Their fryer or grill or something was broken.

Anyway, there appears to be a Burger King, a Wendy's, a McDonalds, an Arby's, a Jack-in-the-Box, and a KFC all within a mile of the maydenbauer.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • NephirijNephirij Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    yes, but that isn't right across the parking lot.

Nephirij on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    JoahW wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    ctishman wrote:

Those fuckers will pay!
    I live in Seattle, but theres really no reason to go to Bellevue besides PAX, so i haven't heard of these demolitions. :P

The Dairy Queen was pretty useless except for frozen treats anyway, wasn't it? Their fryer or grill or something was broken.

Anyway, there appears to be a Burger King, a Wendy's, a McDonalds, an Arby's, a Jack-in-the-Box, and a KFC all within a mile of the maydenbauer.

For shame, you forgot the Fatburger.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited July 2006
    Raiden333 wrote:
    JoahW wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    ctishman wrote:

Those fuckers will pay!

Blame Google Earth for not including the Fatburger in the Fast Food Restaurants filter.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
    edited July 2006
    DiscoDave wrote:
    I read an article in the paper that said some fancy-pants uber-expensive-supreme store was taking over the DQ lot. The kind of thing where you can blow a couple thousand dollars on a sweater, or something.

In the same lot a Dairy Queen was in before.

Hah. Hah. Hah hah. Hah.

Oh yeah, I remember that article.

Fuck that store.
    Raiden333 wrote:

Fuck. My wallet hasn't forgotten the last time I went to Fatburger...

Legacy on
  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    There are two I Love Sushi's right across the highway next to one another, REALLY good suchi!

Shade on
  • postermonkeypostermonkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    yeah ive been informed ( by someone who currently live in this neighborhood ) that there are 2 or 3 good shushi places in a 4 or 5 block radius..

i hear one has a sushi conveyor belt ...... this could be dangerous ...

fish eggs and prawns YAY .. and cucumber salad !!!

postermonkey on
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Bah. I'm spoiled for sushi. In Vancouver there's a sushi place and a Starbucks on every corner, and oddly, the two go well together.

There's a Thai place in Seattle that I may be willing to trek to, but other than that, iunno. Oh right CPK is pretty tasty. Even tastier if someone else pays ;)

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • jenellejenelle Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I'm staying at the extended stay america - no idea how nice it is but according to the map its just across the highway from the hotels where everyone else is going to be staying. Also it was 1/2 the price and booked two days ago, whereas the others have been full for a while :D

I seem to remember a convenience store across the highway from the convention center, but there was a mall right up the street with a food court where we usually had lunch. The only liquor store was pretty far away (not walkable) but only a couple minutes driving.

If you need something just ask around, it took a couple tries to get liquor store directions when we were there last year but we finally made it

jenelle on
    cJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.png
    edited July 2006
    In '04 I got up around 7:00am the first day and went walking around to scope out the area. It's right across the highway from 112th. Here's a map of the locations of the major hotels:

hotels.jpg

The Paragon's not listed there because you can seriously spit from there to the Meydenbauer. Well, that and I cropped my screenshot wrong and didn't want to redo it.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2006
    ctishman wrote:
    In '04 I got up around 7:00am the first day and went walking around to scope out the area. It's right across the highway from 112th. Here's a map of the locations of the major hotels:

hotels.jpg

The Paragon's not listed there because you can seriously spit from there to the Meydenbauer. Well, that and I cropped my screenshot wrong and didn't want to redo it.

For shame, you forgot to include the Fatburger, Jack-in-the-Box and the Safeway.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited July 2006
    Moe_Fwacky wrote:
    ctishman wrote:

hotels.jpg

For shame, you forgot to include the Fatburger, Jack-in-the-Box and the Safeway.

Didn't know those were hotels...

Legacy on
  • JBob08JBob08 Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Trust me when I say that the liquor store IS within walking distance. That being said, its one hell of a trek to undertake in the dark wearing flip flops. First time I ever felt like I EARNED that jager.

JBob08 on
  • jenellejenelle Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    JBob08 wrote:
    Trust me when I say that the liquor store IS within walking distance. That being said, its one hell of a trek to undertake in the dark wearing flip flops. First time I ever felt like I EARNED that jager.

Be honest though, is there any distance you wouldn't walk in the dark in flip flops for jager?

jenelle on
    cJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.png
  • BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2006
    i remember the liquor store being quite a trek

but maybe we just went to one far away

PS: oh look another SOU person

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • postermonkeypostermonkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    ill have a car AND a designated driver so walking to the liquor store WONT be an issue ....

neither will getting to krispy kreme !

postermonkey on
  • JBob08JBob08 Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    You are right... i'd crawl through nails coated in salt to get to my lovely lady, Jager.

JBob08 on