As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

YIPPY-KAI-YAY MOTHERFUCKER (Die Hard)

• Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Did they ever explain how they snuck C-4 charges, clearly labeled as such, into 10 computer nerd's transparent cases?

I don't know what the fuck was up with that.
    First of all, they "uploaded" the virus onto the hackers' computers, right? But the C-4 charges were already on there.

But even though they haxxored into the computer, there was nothing they could do if the hacker didn't hit delete? Why would they assume a hacker WOULD hit delete? Ctrl-alt-delete, maybe, but not delete.

If you're going to the trouble of setting all that shit up, at least set it up so that you can detonate it when you're sure the guy is at the computer.

If you can't, what the fuck is the point of "uploading the virus" from your unmarked van, anyway? You already had access to the computer to put the C-4 in there; just put the virus or whatever on the thing then.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    RubycurseRubycurse Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I saw it this weekend, really good action movie. It did get pretty unbelievable towards the end, but you get what you came for. I'll pick it up.

Rubycurse on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah and screen flickering is a well known symptom of a virus. But still, good movie. I approved of the high levels of smack talk, explosions and hard hits.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    aquabat wrote: »
    Since when is hacking ever remotely good in the movies?

::chuckle::

PF_979925~Hackers-Posters.jpg

It was so realistic, the escalators had little streaming flashy lights.

Flashy lights.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    MikeMan445 wrote: »
    Did they ever explain how they snuck C-4 charges, clearly labeled as such, into 10 computer nerd's transparent cases?

I don't know what the fuck was up with that.

First of all, they "uploaded" the virus onto the hackers' computers, right? But the C-4 charges were already on there.

But even though they haxxored into the computer, there was nothing they could do if the hacker didn't hit delete? Why would they assume a hacker WOULD hit delete? Ctrl-alt-delete, maybe, but not delete.

If you're going to the trouble of setting all that shit up, at least set it up so that you can detonate it when you're sure the guy is at the computer.

If you can't, what the fuck is the point of "uploading the virus" from your unmarked van, anyway? You already had access to the computer to put the C-4 in there; just put the virus or whatever on the thing then.
    On top of all that, I know I look inside my case at least once a day to admire my handiwork. There is no way I wouldn't notice a PSU-sized bundle of gray stuff labeled "C-4 EXPLOSIVES."
    [edit] good movie, though!

Dance Commander on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Guys.

Hot ninja bitch.

amirite?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    aquabataquabat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    spoilers, motherfuckers. do you know how to use them?

aquabat on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    spoilers, motherfuckers. do you know how to use them?
    Dude, it's Hackers and The Core. Enthralling Plots they ain't.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Sorry aqua.

But if you're going to this movie for the plot, you're going to the wrong movie.

Turn off the old brain, and enjoy.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Cantido wrote: »
    Guys.

Hot ninja bitch.

amirite?

Maggie Q is super-duper hot.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Guys.

Hot ninja bitch.

amirite?

OH MY GOD YES

MikeMan on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    MikeMan445 wrote: »
    Guys.

Hot ninja bitch.

amirite?

OH MY GOD YES

I first fell in love during MI:III.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    so what's the feeling here? because all I read was the first post, and then I went to see the movie.

and I wanted to fucking kill myself. I thought it was awful. a complete waste.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Holy fuck, Im so glad you guys love this so much. I dont give a shit about anybody's review. You guys are my barometer

me too man, normally.

they're wrong.

... don't worry I won't go through the whole thread quoting everything, just this is exactly how I feel about this place.

Variable on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hey guys, I only read the first post, what's the feeling here?

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    are you making fun of me?

Variable on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Saw it Saturday with my wife. I thought it was pretty awesome, although still not as good as number one. I'm torn as to whether I liked it more than 3 or not, because they're very different.

I fucking loved how Bruce talks to himself and laughs when people die. That shit was great.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I thought it was awesome. Great action, Olyphant was awesome as the main villain

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited July 2007
    Saw it Saturday with my wife. I thought it was pretty awesome, although still not as good as number one. I'm torn as to whether I liked it more than 3 or not, because they're very different.

I fucking loved how Bruce talks to himself and laughs when people die. That shit was great.

Oh, man, when the French dude falls in the big industrial fan? And Bruce is all chuckling "oh, no" to himself? Funny shit.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    mugginns wrote: »
    I thought it was awesome. Great action, Olyphant was awesome as the main villain

No he wasn't. He wasn't threatening in the least, and at time his acting was painful.

This is a far better villain. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGfmfPYiO1w

Bloods End on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »

No he wasn't. He wasn't threatening in the least, and at time his acting was painful.

He was pretty threatening and I didn't find his acting painful at all.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    He wasn't badass or anything, but I genuinely liked the way he was always utterly furious and frustrated with McClane.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »

Is the juice worth the squeeze?

He was good. Not like Phillip Seymour Hoffman awesome, but at no point did I think he did a bad job.

geckahn on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I enjoyed the picture they took of him to send to the FBI, it looked like he was about to be hit by a bus.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The only explanation I have for the exploding computers is that hackers put explosives in them so they can detonate their "gear" and thus destroy evidence if the feds come a knocking. The virus that was uploaded triggered this explosion while the hackers were in the room (by pressing DEL. Why DEL? I have no idea), rather than the hacker setting a quick timer and leaving like he originally intended.

Overall, this movie had amazing action sequences. A+

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Or perhaps the company supplied them the computers for the purpose of what they wanted? (Thus insuring each hacker had the bombs and the ability to do the coding work they required and in the right format?). I figure the key was just a film element like anything else they wanted the "oh no don't press the bomb button".

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yea, though I did like how the C4 has helpfully labeled.

I mean, can't we assume people sit a big brick of grey clay with wires coming out of it will understand it goes boom? Do we really need to label it as well?

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Bruce laughing at deaths and explosions was my favorite part. He was like, amazed at what happened and what he did, and so amused at himself. It was great. Like the fan thing mentioned above.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I liked his taunting in 4, it reminded me of his interactions with Grubber in 1. In both die hard 2 and 3 the villain didn't have as much interaction and stayed more hidden in those films. It was a nice return to form such as the constant taunting over
    Killing Maggie Q's character, he was relentless about that

I also like how the drive was mostly on McClanes part in this movie, in 2 his wife was in danger, and in 3 Simon was just fucking with him, here he has multiple chances to walk away, but just keeps going.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    If I hear one more person say "this isn't a Die Hard movie" I'm going to strangle them. The only thing that really defines the first 3 is McClane getting this shit kicked out of him but still winning, which is exactly what happens here.

Some guy I was talking to complained that there was no continuity from the other movies, despite the fact that Lucy was in it. He was mad because they barely talked about Holly, even though she wasn't in the third one at all and it was barely mentioned. This is like 10 years later, I doubt McClane wants to talk about his ex-wife.

He also proposed that one of the hackers should have been Theo from the first movie, which I find ridiculous.

I hate people.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I loved this movie.

However, the friends I went with criticized the movie on the basis that it was unrealistic.

Guess what? It's an action movie.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Gooey wrote: »
    I loved this movie.

However, the friends I went with criticized the movie on the basis that it was unrealistic.

You have terrible friends.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    YodaTuna wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    I loved this movie.

You have terrible friends.
    I agree. If you pay me, I will be your friend... and I will be better than them.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    YodaTuna wrote: »
    If I hear one more person say "this isn't a Die Hard movie" I'm going to strangle them. The only thing that really defines the first 3 is McClane getting this shit kicked out of him but still winning, which is exactly what happens here.

Some guy I was talking to complained that there was no continuity from the other movies, despite the fact that Lucy was in it. He was mad because they barely talked about Holly, even though she wasn't in the third one at all and it was barely mentioned. This is like 10 years later, I doubt McClane wants to talk about his ex-wife.

He also proposed that one of the hackers should have been Theo from the first movie, which I find ridiculous.

I hate people.
    It's enough that they use Ode to Joy and Ants go Marching.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I hate to burst people's bubble, but watch the opening credits closely.
    Movie is adapted from "A Farewell to Arms."
    Says so right before is "based on characters created by..."

EDIT: Not the book, a magazine article from Wired back in 97.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I was under the impression the basis for the movie was the scenario not the story, I could be mistaken though.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Last I checked Wired didn't print action fiction.... I'd be fairly confident that they took the concept of a "fire sale" from there.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    Oh my God, we're having a fire! ... sale.

I couldn't stop giggling every time someone said fire sale.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Nocren wrote: »
    I hate to burst people's bubble, but watch the opening credits closely.
    Movie is adapted from "A Farewell to Arms."

So? How would that burst anyone's bubble? O_o

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I enjoyed this movie more than I thought I would. Too much invincible hero syndrome, and too many scenes where the bad guy comes up behind McClane with a gun and just chats until McClane has a chance to disarm him, rather than just shooting the guy. That's to be expected from this kind of movie, I guess.

Kaputa on