As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA comic: Friday January 13, 2012 - I Put Some News In Your News

BogeyBogey I'm back, baby!Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
edited January 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
i-SM4zL2V-XL.jpg

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
PSN: Bogestrom
Bogey on

• KagnarosKagnaros Registered User regular
    i went to this kotakucore hoping it would sport the old page design, but alas. :(

fss.png
  • EvilRedEyeEvilRedEye Registered User regular
    I literally don't know how to use Kotaku these days. I just end up looking at it going "Uh... how do I make this go?"

It's like I'm my gran or something.

Gone.
  • Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    Kotaku is pretty awful for a variety of reasons, but as someone who pops over there now and again, I think this'll make it a lot more bearable.

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    The funniest part of this strip is the basket full of the exact same outfit.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Loopy1492Loopy1492 Registered User regular
    So when they talk about how posting a link to someone's website on the P.A. news post is like "focusing the eye of Sauron" on said website, they are talking about Gabe's dong?

• IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    facetious wrote:

Does that mean he has a ton of underwear just like in the last panel? And wears it every day? D:

• kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    Nit pick of the moment: The "yo dawg" feels shoehorned in.

• J-mentalJ-mental Registered User regular
    kingworks wrote:

But it's still funny considering it's grammatically correct. Who puts a semi-colon in front of slang? Tycho that's who.

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Is that the eye of sauron?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    I thought it was either the Eye of Sauron (most likely) or the Darkmoon Faire logo from WoW (not very likely).

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Definitely the Eye of Sauron. Also, I see this complaint on every "news" blog. If it's not factual news, someone has to make a post about how this isn't news and you shouldn't post it.

But they're wrong. Not wrong because whatever cosplay post isn't news, but that kotaku isn't a news site. It's a video game blog. That releases news-like info from time to time, but the site's main goal is to generate page views by posting content. Full stop. They'll post anything to generate traffic.

• IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    kingworks wrote:

It's not shoehorned in when they explicitly mention the reference they're making with the title

• AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    I totally thought it was the Darkmoon Faire eye. The Faire seems like the kind of joint that would sell thongs with its logo right on the moneyspot. The Eye of Sauron is much funnier though, so I happily change my mind.

• NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Loopy1492 wrote:
    So when they talk about how posting a link to someone's website on the P.A. news post is like "focusing the eye of Sauron" on said website, they are talking about Gabe's dong?

We don't call it "wanged" for nothin'.
    http://wanged.urbanup.com/303781

brDe918.jpg
    edited January 2012
    Ivar wrote:
    kingworks wrote:

It's not shoehorned in when they explicitly mention the reference they're making with the title
    I don't see where 'yo dawg' and the title are explicitly connected but my (admittedly very minor) point of contention is that 'yo' is what you lead with, not something that you say after you have greeted and/or begun discourse.

Hi Ivar, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

kingworks on
  • Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    I can see why they are doing this.

Years ago I used to visit Kotaku everyday and spend much time there. Nowadays I might pop in once every few weeks.

I just don't have a desire to read articles on infants beaten to death with video game controllers, Japanese idols who happen to play video games, the latest Fox News panel extolling the horrors of video games because "Wife Beater 7" was released, feminism and LBGT articles on how gaming is terribly terribly politically incorrect, and whatever other random garbage or memes lifted straight out of 4chan they decide to post.

I just want to know about video games themselves.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't have much patience for all the extra bullshit they throw in on Kotaku. I go there for gaming news. I spend about 10 minutes scrolling news about once a week and that's good enough for me. Well, actually I don't do that anymore. Not since the site redesign. And if the core site uses the same format as the main site, I still won't use it, even if its a condensed news-only site.

Google reader is the only means by which I visit Kotaku.

• POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    kingworks wrote:
    Ivar wrote:
    kingworks wrote:

I don't see where 'yo dawg' and the title are explicitly connected
    http://www.knowyourmeme.com/memes/xzibit-yo-dawg

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Birthday comic!

• AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Grats! The Eye is watching you today.

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Will they be selling that thong in the PA store?

• KnaraKnara Registered User regular
    Definitely the Eye of Sauron. Also, I see this complaint on every "news" blog. If it's not factual news, someone has to make a post about how this isn't news and you shouldn't post it.

But they're wrong. Not wrong because whatever cosplay post isn't news, but that kotaku isn't a news site is a Gawker website, and they carefully formulate every article post in order to generate the most comments possible in order to achieve as many ad-view impressions as possible, with no real regard for quality or accuracy.

Though we may be saying the same thing, there.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I am trying to figure out why Tycho looks shocked in the last panel. At first I was thinking that maybe he was shocked to see an intimate item of Gabe's wife, or the implications of Eye of Sauron panties.

But then it dawned on me:

214681853_LpqC6-L-2.jpg

They belong to Tycho.

• Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    Gabe's expressions look more and more like those of Jughead Jones with the passing of each comic.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I like the idea that Gabe separates his laundry into "darks" and "yellows and oranges"

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Ivar wrote:
    facetious wrote:

Does that mean he has a ton of underwear just like in the last panel? And wears it every day? D:

No, just that pair.

That's the only pair he has.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular

Years ago I used to visit Kotaku everyday and spend much time there. Nowadays I might pop in once every few weeks.

I just don't have a desire to read articles on infants beaten to death with video game controllers, Japanese idols who happen to play video games, the latest Fox News panel extolling the horrors of video games because "Wife Beater 7" was released, feminism and LBGT articles on how gaming is terribly terribly politically incorrect, and whatever other random garbage or memes lifted straight out of 4chan they decide to post.

:\

i can understand just wanting video game news but some of this stuff you said here is pretty questionable.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:

i can understand just wanting video game news but some of this stuff you said here is pretty questionable.

For me it's not that I don't want to read about any of those things, it's that I don't want to read what kotaku has to say about any of those things. You can pretty much extend that opinion across the entire range of "serious" Gawker content, tbh.

• ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    Peccavi wrote: »
    Will they be selling that thong in the PA store?

Yes. That's what Khoo was hinting at for the Big News in February in his Reddit IAmA

EyQGd.jpg
  • ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    Wasn't MTV doing this with MTV2?

And then they just filled THAT with inane bullshit, too.

EyQGd.jpg
  • LuDuxLuDux Registered User regular
    Who else thinks we should add three further subforms to this subforum, each subforum explicitly for on-topic discussion of individual panels 1, 2, or 3? With further subforums for multiple panel conversations, for example a subforum for conversation about panels 1 and 2, 2 and 3, or 1 and 3? /Possibly/ we should keep this subforum for conversation about all three panels at once.

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    LuDux wrote:
    Who else thinks we should add three further subforms to this subforum, each subforum explicitly for on-topic discussion of individual panels 1, 2, or 3? With further subforums for multiple panel conversations, for example a subforum for conversation about panels 1 and 2, 2 and 3, or 1 and 3? /Possibly/ we should keep this subforum for conversation about all three panels at once.

You should probably have touched on those points in individual subposts.

• Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    admanb wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:

For me it's not that I don't want to read about any of those things, it's that I don't want to read what kotaku has to say about any of those things. You can pretty much extend that opinion across the entire range of "serious" Gawker content, tbh.

My beef at least with Kotaku is you can't have it both ways. You can't post anything and everything for page views and then turn around and act like you are a serious journalistic outlet. It's like The National Enquirer wanting to be compared to The New Yorker.

Shady3011 on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    That basically describes Gawker in its entirety.

• GalacticGalactic Registered User regular
    Kotaku doesn't even know what it wants to be yet. Some of the headlining articles are hilarious. "Why Feminists Hate Gamers" right under "Top 10 Jiggliest Video Game Boobies"

^_-;

Too Galactic for you.
  • Good Looking Fat GuyGood Looking Fat Guy West Hartford, CTRegistered User regular
    If Gabe's underwear indicates his wang is anything like the Eye of Sauron, he may want to visit the nearest walk-in clinic as soon as possible.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    If Gabe's underwear indicates his wang is anything like the Eye of Sauron, he may want to visit the nearest walk-in clinic as soon as possible.
    boromireye.jpg
    There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand men could you do this. It is folly.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • FiskavFiskav Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png