As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wrestling 2012: SET THE FUNKASAURUS FREE

• LuxLux Registered User regular
    I wonder if the "YOU ARE A BASTARD!" line was supposed to be a Big Bossman burn. Maybe in the story, all the emotion of having just crushed this delicate tiny angel combined with the reminder of the trauma of his father's funeral all came rushing back to him and that's why he was crying.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Mike Johnson from PWInsider wrote a very nice article regarding the end of wrestling events at the ECW Arena after today (January 14, 2012). Spoiled for length:
    By the time you read this, I'll likely be preparing to head to the final ever scheduled pro wrestling shows being held at the ECW Arena. Now, I don't care what they have renamed the building and what they will rename the venue, it's the friggin' ECW Arena. Now that we have gotten that out of the way, this will likely end up being a freeflowing piece and will likely range from personal memories to historical notes, so if it's a little self-centered in your eyes, I apologize in advance.
    It's strange to me to think of a world with no ECW Arena. For a dilapidated warehouse turned bingo hall turned Mummers parade float headquarters turned legendary wrestling venue, the place has seen its share of changes, incidents, riots and of course, phenomenal wrestling.

It's been a running joke on this website the last few weeks about whether I will be shedding a tear or two tonight at the final shows. While I really don't see that happening, I absolutely can't go to that venue without knowing in my heart that it was the most important building I ever walked into in my entire life.

When I was invited to my first show at the venue (Thank you Paul), I was going for one show, to see four of my favorites team up - Terry Funk and Arn Anderson vs. Sabu and Bobby Eaton. I knew of ECW and watched the TV via tape trading and enjoyed it, but the idea of going all the way to Philadelphia to watch wrestling seemed a little, well, strange to me. Mind you, I have probably spent more time in Philly than any other city beyond NYC in the subsequent years, but back then when I was 19 years old, it took a lot to make me want to go alllllll that way.

But, I went and I was glad I did. It was ECW in its prime with smart fans who were smart enough to be smart asses but also smart enough to know when to draw the line and enjoy themselves and be part of the show without detracting from it. There were guys who had worked in WCW and fallen out of favor there, guys who were established on the independent scene in New York and guys who were known from Tri-State, topped with Sabu, who was the most incredibly over, self destructive aerial brawler I had ever seen. Sabu changed lives when people saw him work in 1993. He was that good and that inspirational. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either an idiot or didn't live through that era. The booking was great, the work was great (although admittedly, some of it doesn't hold up today in 2012, but again, it was written and booked for 1994) and the building was well, the most perfect building ECW ever could have asked for.

They could rip it apart, brawl all over, fall off stages, destroy furniture, have fans throw chairs, battled out the front door, rip the front door off its hinges on the way back, whatever the hell they wanted. I had been to CBGBs in New York City all through High School and within an hour of seeing the action, the fans, the intimacy and yes, the disgusting bathrooms, this place was indeed the CBGBs of pro wrestling.

Well, just like you went to CBGBs to basically feel like you were mentally and emotionally drained from the rush of a great show with people literally landing on you from the stage, that's how a great show in ECW felt during that time period. It was like being hopped up on pure electricity when the shows were great and you didn't come down emotionally for a long time during the prime years where ECW was carving its legend. It was something I've never seen before or since, not from another tiny indy or a company with millions backing it. You can't replicate greatness, you can only stumble upon it - and we all stumbled upon it during that era.

I can remember the exact moment I truly fell in love with ECW and with pro wrestling and it was that first show. Terry Funk was turned on by Arn Anderson and beaten with a chair over his bad knees. Funk couldn't stand anymore, much less defend himself, doing the wobble wobble and finally Sabu locked him in a one legged crab. Funk screamed for help, even screaming for fans to hop the rail (imagine if a poor soul actually had?) and finally gave up. Right there was the brutal, dirty, gritty, kickass soul of pro wrestling and its emotions laid there in front of me. I was totally, absolutely in love and until the end of ECW, I can only think of a handful of shows I missed and a big part of it was that venue. If it was going down in the Arena, it was an event.

It's crazy to look back on all the amazing wrestling I saw during the time period where ECW was this nexus where anyone from Steve Williams to Doug Furnas to Great Sasuke to Brian Pillman and on and on could show up. Even more important was that beyond those great wrestlers and wrestling, there was an audience there that was pretty much the Mos Eisley Cantina of wrestling fans, with all these strange and wacky people (and I am sure to them, I was one of those strange and wacky people as well) that I watched with amazement as they seemed zany and unique yet passionate and smart. It was this uncanny collection of goofballs, tough guys, locals, nerds and every other stereotype you could pick out of a thesaurus but the one thing they all had in common was that they all loved their wrestling and for the most part, everyone got along. It really was a magic time, even if it was spent in a facility where you absolutely were dying for a shower after a few hours of being there.

I mentioned that it was the most important place I ever went and that's the truth. It's not me being a mark or me being really nostalgic, it's just the truth. My best friendships were forged in the trips to that place and I know for a fact that I wouldn't have any of those friendships to begin with had I not been going to that Arena. These are great people who enriched my life and were there for me during the worst times of it and saw me through and one day, if I am blessed enough, will see me through the bad times again. I don't need to name names but you know who you are and you know what you mean to me.

Hell, none of you would be reading this had it not been a pretty inebriated Mike Johnson wandering up to a probably equally if not more enebriated Dave Scherer, telling him I was a pretty good writer, so I was going to write for him. The only thing more staggering than my arrogance in doing so was that Dave took a shot that I wasn't lying and here we are today. Even when I was younger and well, dopier, he always took it in stride and gave me another chance, even when others didn't agree with him. Had it not been for that exact moment in that venue, right in front of the concession stand, I don't know where the helll my life would be and what the hell I'd be doing for a living.

I am not alone in that. There are probably hundreds, if not thousands of fans who were equally touched, making friends, possibly even spouses in that dirty corner on Swanson and Rittner. There are kids running around today simply because their parents met in that building. There were fans who were inspired and got into the business. That venue launched the careers of wrestlers, commentators, managers and even WWE Creative Team members. It was the epicenter for the lives and loves of a lot of people. Every restaurant, every club, every entertainment outlet will have a similar history, but when you look at the fact that we are talking about a tin building that was always too hot or too cold or too crowded or too hard to find, it's pretty damn amazing.

Even when ECW closed, while there are some who will say the place was never the same and that it was whored out by other promotions and that they were trading on the past success, that's only partially true. I believe in my heart of hearts that there is NO WAY that place would be getting re-tooled and remodeled into a concert venue had it not been for the popularity of ECW. They took what was another dime a dozen warehouse and morphed into a destination point that was so popular, management opted to turn it into a legitimate entertainment arena. If you are going to try and tell me that the RUSSIAN CIRCUS would have run the place had ECW never run there, I'd tell you that you out of your mind.

At the same time, why shouldn't groups have run the venue? Just because the Ramones moved on from CBGBs didn't mean Living Colour didn't deserve to break out there. Just as it was the emotion that made ECW so great and the building was a big part of that, the venue was evolved and once ECW went away, it had to or it would have closed down over a decade ago - and what a disservice that would have been.

Just as ECW hang their hat on the door and used the Arena as their central base of operations, CZW did the same. When they came into the venue in 2001, they turned hundreds of people away from the first show. It was a different style of product with a different audience and it's own positives and negatives but they provided a completely different brand of crazy wrestling action and violence that not even ECW would have likely tackled on a regular basis. Just as Taz, Tommy Dreamer, Sandman, JT Smith and others forged their names at the venue, now it was acts like The Backseat Boyz, Nick Gage, Wifebeater and Nick Mondo making their own legend within their own niche.

Was it for everyone? Nope, but neither was ECW.

I know there are some who will discount the years post-ECW, but to me, they were every bit as much of a nexus as the ECW era. We had everyone from Manami Toyota to Johnny Saint to Jushin Liger to Kensuke Sasaki on down the line appearing in the building. 3PW provided a place for Joey Matthews/Mercury to break out as a star. CHIKARA provided some of the most unique and fun multi-day events I can think of with the King of Trios. CZW brought the thunder and the violence with the Cage of Death. Hardcore Homecoming brought back the feeling of an ECW Arena show in its prime. TNA ran there. WWE's ECW had its first house show there. DGUSA debuted there. Hell, even XPW drew a sellout house for their first show in the building.

Was the facility always as full? No. Was it always as electric? No. but how could it? People grow up and move on and as I've said before, ECW was the home team for a LOT of people in the Northeast. When it went kaput, so did they. They returned for the reunion shows and probably keep an eye on what's going on but their days of going to shows are over.

And today, it will be over for everyone else too. That's not even a bad thing. Life changes with time and so do people and circumstances. The Arena was a crutch for a lot of people and promotions and this forces them to find new places to run and new opportunities. That only opens new doors and in a perfect world, better doors. We will see, but to me, I am beyond blessed that I walked into that Bingo Hall and I'll be blessed to be there today. That place helped me and much more importantly, it helped all of pro wrestling.

That place never should have been anything. It never should have been this incredible venue compared to Korakuen Hall and the Sportatorium, but it was. It was due to the people, the timing, the work of the wrestlers and the revolution that was ECW, but it was also due to the building. There are a lot of ghosts and memories that will always hang in that structure, even long after the banners and the walls are ripped out. It will always be the place where local kids doing moonsaults off bleachers began their journey to being pro wrestlers. It will always be the place where a facepainted Tazmaniac began his journey to becoming the Human Suplex Machine, Brother. It will always be where an exiled WCW manager went on to become one of the all time greatest bookers. It will be where Tommy Dreamer went from happy armdragging babyface to the heart and soul of ECW. It will be where Terry Funk made stars. It will be the place where a PPV that changed the business forever was broadcast (and almost didn't make it to the end of the broadcast). It will be where barbed wire and blood forged a legacy of insanity alongside some of the best, most intimate scientific wrestling seen in North America. It will be where Singapore Canes, chants, "Enter Sandman", World title belts and chairs flying through the air will always reign supreme.

It will be where men walked in and legends walked out.

It will be yet another gift Tod Gordon, who never seems to get the credit he should get, provided for the business, just by booking it for wrestling when it never should have worked on paper.

And it, above all else, no matter what and no matter what anyone ever tells you, will always be the house that sits on the corner of Swanson and Ritner - the House The Public Enemy motherf***ing built.

Thanks to everyone who had any part in making that place so special, wrestlers, promoters and fans alike.

And most of all, thank you to the Arena for even existing. You did good old girl. Now go enjoy your well deserved rest.

ECW Arena. 1993 - 2012.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Spears only look as good as the person selling them.

BLM - ACAB
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Pretty much the same with any non- power bomb or lucha move, isn't it?

edited January 2012
    Also here's the link if you want to watch the finaly ECW Arena wrestling show. It's $14.95 and airs tonight, January 14, at 8 EST:

http://wwnlive.com/event-evolve-01-14-12.html

wirehead26 on
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    All this talk of the ECW Arena has reminded me of what is, in my opinion, the greatest match ever recorded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzQn1pj5zhU

Mwx884o.jpg
    edited January 2012
    Here's an interesting result from a WWE House show yesterday in Washington:
    Daniel Bryan defeated Jamie Noble

wirehead26 on
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    yesssss

I love Jamie Noble

7656367.jpg
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    As much as I like Wade Barret for some reason I don't like his Winds Of Change signature he started using. Its basically a Black Hole Slam and it just doesn't look right coming from a guy of Barret's build. Works for huge guys like Abyss because it seems they engulf the dude before driving him to the floor. Or maybe its cause Wade hasn't found someone he can properly sell it to. Wheres one of the Lucha guys? They can fling them selves around him to complete a full rotation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T8maLeC7F4

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Basically what Smackdown needs is a decent tournament. Given all the random guys that are "feuding" a real reason to go at each other and give a bit of tension to the results of the matches.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I think Noble's been working as a producer/road agent for a bit for WWE, and probably stepped up when they needed somebody for Bryan to go over.

I do not care why, Jaime Noble wrestling again is fantastic news

• KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    The problem also with winds of change is that, just like his other finisher, it can't be used on anyone really bigger than him. He barely got Wasteland off on Henry once, but that was with a lot of help from the top rope. At least in TNA, I don't think there is a single person Abyss couldn't Black Hole Slam.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Fun fact: Jaime Noble is who Bryan beat to win the ROH title.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    KurnDerak wrote:
    The problem also with winds of change is that, just like his other finisher, it can't be used on anyone really bigger than him. He barely got Wasteland off on Henry once, but that was with a lot of help from the top rope. At least in TNA, I don't think there is a single person Abyss couldn't Black Hole Slam.

This is a false belief because he performed the Wasteland on Big Show

At least twice

In the middle of the ring

Once was on a house show, in a cage match too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyGO6dGL40A

You're right, I guess I completely forgot about that even happening. Though I still hold that I don't think he could do Winds of Change that well on say, Show or Henry, but would be very entertained if proven wrong.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    If it wasn't for the Cobra the Wasteland would be my least favorite finisher in the WWE.

edited January 2012
    Well, yeah that should go without saying Kurn

Wasteland was impressive, mainly because he lifted people up, held them up, sometimes even walking around with them there, then slammed them

With Winds of Change, you have to grab them and spin them around

Even attempting that with Show or Henry would not end well

Sweeney Tom on
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I wonder if AJ's going to come back from her injury all evil. She'll be known as Sparkplug.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I think Kane doing a mandible claw thingy is kinda lame.

BLM - ACAB
    edited January 2012
    If AJ turns heel who is going to feud with The Canadian Ninjas when all our fantasy bookings come true?

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The cobra is a joke finisher though. Wasteland is a joke instead.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    Kharma will come back and eat them

Problem solved

Cobra isn't a wrestling finisher. The Cobra is pure wrestling theatrics that just happens to sometimes end matches. Kind of like the People's Elbow.

• ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    Cobra and People's Elbow are ok finishes to matches because both Rock and Santino are outlandish characters in their own special way. On top of that, they're both theater.

Barrett, however, is neither theatrical nor outlandish. He can talk well, but his in-ring style is pretty straightforward and he's not very flashy in general. Also, Wasteland looks like it wouldn't hurt a 2 year old.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I will not stand for this anti Wasteland nonsense. It's a perfectly fine move.

ZD98Zka.png
    Honestly, the finisher I dislike the most right now is the Rough Ryder. As awesome as Zack Ryder is, I have never liked his finisher. I would normally complain about someone using a basic cross body as a finisher too, but when you're as large as The Funkasaurus, a basic cross body believably puts someone down for the count.

Rough Ryder is looking better now that Ryder remembers it's a leg lariat, not a flying teabag.

My mind just went weird places at that comment. First, I thought that a flying teabag would have fit when he started in ECW pretty. Then I picture him yelling "Rough Ryder!", throwing a teabag at someone and watching them sell it like they got shot, and not at any point seeing that be out of character.

edited January 2012
    The best thing about Wasteland and Barret's gimmick in general is his subtle obsession with dystopia.

It's like he's looking forward to it.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
    edited January 2012
    So the very last match at the ECW Arena sadly didn't live up to the hype. It was a DGUSA title match between Johnny Gargano and Ricochet and while the match was fine the fans turned on it by the end due to them being exhausted after 8 hours or wrestling. Can't say I blame them.

Edit: Oops, spoke too soon, the final ECW Arena match was Justin Credible vs. Sabu. It was really good despite my dislike for Credible.

wirehead26 on
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    The best thing about Wasteland and Barret's gimmick in general is his subtle obsession with dystopia.

It's like he's looking forward to it.

Yeah I like that too, especially because it is subtle. I wish there was more subtlety in wrestling. (Although over-the-top can be awesome in its own way. See: Clay, "Funkasaurus" Brodus.)

I like the Rough Ryder but I certainly can't argue that it looks like a devastating move. At least when delivered to anyone not Ziggler.

Ziggler should sell every finisher.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    5 second squash matches aren't going to help the Funkasaurus

Matches like the one with Hawkins help because it lets Clay show some personality with like "Should I get him" and such

more entertaining

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Now if the Funkasarus goes on a Samoa Joe undefeated streak with out even making a huge deal of it then we could have something. Next Wrestlemania they are talking who should take the belt and he is like...well since last year no one has beaten me....ooops my bad did I say that outloud?

• Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote:
    I will not stand for this anti Wasteland nonsense. It's a perfectly fine move.
    It's perfectly fine as a transition move, since it's basically the lucha equivalent of a bodyslam. As a credible finisher? I'm not so sure.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    Now if the Funkasarus goes on a Samoa Joe undefeated streak with out even making a huge deal of it then we could have something. Next Wrestlemania they are talking who should take the belt and he is like...well since last year no one has beaten me....ooops my bad did I say that outloud?

Watching that clip of him coming down to the ring and beating that guy in one move was enjoyable to me, because he looked like he was having a fantastic time. Almost reminded me of watching Foley during the Dude Love stuff.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    brodus is kind of surreal to watch because in comparison to the rest of the big men one the roster, he moves really well

it's like going back and watching young kane run around

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    also watching the show/bryan match, show actually sold the whole being distraught thing really well

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
This discussion has been closed.