As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Caught my [chat] down

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:
    21st stop thinking so much about if you should or shouldn't do things and just do things.

But i need constant validation!

alternate post: But what will the neighbors think?

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    As a person who doesn't pay any attention to football, I don't get why Tebow is a thing for praying in public like everybody else who wants to look really holy does.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i like the idea that XCOM gets easier the worse you do

like there is an alien bureaucracy for the invasion of multiple planets, and they have a bunch of forms to fill out to dictate which planets get the competent, large invasion forces

"humans leveled an entire city block of their own residential buildings and then fled screaming at the sight of one of our ground troopers. reroute elite forces to Alpha Centauri, and bring in the reserve reserves for Earth. No, no, don't bother with ammunition, I'm sure it will be fine."

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote:
    Nelson was a stone cold badass.

In Trafalgar, it was 27 British ships of the line against 33 French/Spanish ships of the line. The British lost none of their ships.

Good Protestant ships always win out

//foolish theory of the day

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    sometimes i worry that the guy who makes whomp based the main character on himself

that's

profoundly distressing

I thought that was exactly the case, since his name is the main character's name?

http://www.whompcomic.com/cg_nav/characters.jpg

"This cartoon representation of the author is like the original in too many ways, and not dissimilar in by nearly enough."

wandering on
  • SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    iirc Nelson's last words were "Blow, blow, rub, rub"

As in he was lying and dying and had one person with a fan blowing air on him and another rubbing his chest or something to alleviate the pain

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Whomp is amazing.

• BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote:
    BobCesca wrote:
    Nova_C wrote:
    I was just reading, killing time at work, and did a bit of reading on Nelson, which led me to the battle of Trafalgar.

Good lord that must have been an insane battle, and the British had giant balls to head straight into a field of fire that they could not answer for over an hour.

Or a large number of poor people they could force into the army that the rich didn't really care if they lived or died...

(not completely the reason at all, but you didn't have to worry so much about sending large numbers of men to their deaths when the people back home who cared didn't have any way of voicing that concern, and the people listening didn't care at all).

Nelson was on the same boat as a couple hundred other people, though; he didn't really have a magic rich person force field. Which, y'know, is why he died.

Whatever the prevailing social conditions, I can respect people who led from the front.

Nah, I was being mostly evil with that post. Nelson was pretty awesome.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    sometimes i worry that the guy who makes whomp based the main character on himself

that's

profoundly distressing

I feel the same way about Mike and Jerry.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    Actually, the wiki page on Nelson has a better summary of his exploits at Cape St Vincent. Bear in mind that the Captain is a third rate ship of the line of 74 guns.
    Nelson joined Jervis's fleet off Cape St Vincent, and reported the Spanish movements.[97] Jervis decided to give battle and the two fleets met on 14 February. Nelson found himself towards the rear of the British line and realised that it would be a long time before he could bring Captain into action.[97] Instead of continuing to follow the line, Nelson disobeyed orders and wore ship, breaking from the line and heading to engage the Spanish van, which consisted of the 112-gun San Josef, the 80-gun San Nicolas and the 130-gun Santísima Trinidad. Captain engaged all three, assisted by HMS Culloden which had come to Nelson's aid. After an hour of exchanging broadsides which left both Captain and Culloden heavily damaged, Nelson found himself alongside the San Nicolas. He led a boarding party across, crying "Westminster Abbey! or, glorious victory!" and forced her surrender.[98] San Josef attempted to come to the San Nicolas’s aid, but became entangled with her compatriot and was left immobile. Nelson led his party from the deck of the San Nicolas onto the San Josef and captured her as well.

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote:
    BobCesca wrote:
    Nova_C wrote:
    I was just reading, killing time at work, and did a bit of reading on Nelson, which led me to the battle of Trafalgar.

Good lord that must have been an insane battle, and the British had giant balls to head straight into a field of fire that they could not answer for over an hour.

Or a large number of poor people they could force into the army that the rich didn't really care if they lived or died...

(not completely the reason at all, but you didn't have to worry so much about sending large numbers of men to their deaths when the people back home who cared didn't have any way of voicing that concern, and the people listening didn't care at all).

Well, this is true for all branches of the military, particular in an autocratic state, but to be fair, Nelson seemed to be pretty balsy anyway. Like, after losing an arm and being blinded in one eye, he was still cool with sailing headfirst into a larger armada. The Victory led one of the two columns, and Nelson was a Lord.

I love what he said when he got shot, though. "They finally killed me. I am dead."

That was on an episode of QI. Aparently there's a lot of bunk floating around about his last words. According to the show (and wikipedia) they were actually a kind of half delerious mumble as he bled out: "'fan, fan ... rub, rub ... drink, drink.'"

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Was Nelson the guy who wore all his military bling while commanding in the middle of a battle?

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I love our annual suits/jeans debates.

They are more predictable than a religion thread here, for some reason.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    emnmnme wrote:

that's

profoundly distressing

the characters in PA do things that are largely bizarre and obviously parodic, like beating each other to death with bats

ronnie is a character who is eerily believable

Sparvy wrote:
    iirc Nelson's last words were "Blow, blow, rub, rub"

As in he was lying and dying and had one person with a fan blowing air on him and another rubbing his chest or something to alleviate the pain

Fan, fan, rub, rub, drink, drink, I think.

Though there is also an accounts which claims that his last, last words were "thank god I did my duty."

syndalis wrote:

I am pleasantly surprised that there has been no "Tim Tebow is history's greatest monster" thread, yet.

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    BobCesca wrote:
    Nova_C wrote:

I thought the navy was an all-volunteer force that was quite popular as a career as it offered better food and pay than was available to the poor on land (which had a lot more to how bad things were outside of the navy of course but still).

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Nelson's tomb is really interesting too, in the crypt at St. Paul's. Kind of strange being able to just walk up to it.

nibXTE7.png
    emnmnme wrote:

that's

profoundly distressing

the characters in PA do things that are largely bizarre and obviously parodic, like beating each other to death with bats

How so? The only could-be-plausible comic I've read was when his cat was determined to disturb him while he was working.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    why would there be an argument about jeans or suits

both are excellent

in fact i'm wearing a denim suit right now

Canadian tuxedo yee haw!

nibXTE7.png

both are excellent

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular

both are excellent

Canadian Tuxedo?

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    BobCesca wrote:
    Nova_C wrote:

I thought the navy was an all-volunteer force that was quite popular as a career as it offered better food and pay than was available to the poor on land (which had a lot more to how bad things were outside of the navy of course but still).

It was a "volunteer" force. In that many were press ganged and woke up on ships.

syndalis wrote:

I'm never sure what to make of the often made assertion that a suit can be as comfortable as other, non-suit clothing.

I mean, I haven't owned a lot of suits, but I really struggle to see how that's possible. Specifically when it comes to suit jackets.

That said, I have lately become intrigued by tweed trousers. They seem to offer the practicality and hard-wearingness of jeans in a softer fabric.

japan wrote:
    syndalis wrote:

I'm never sure what to make of the often made assertion that a suit can be as comfortable as other, non-suit clothing.

I mean, I haven't owned a lot of suits, but I really struggle to see how that's possible. Specifically when it comes to suit jackets.

That said, I have lately become intrigued by tweed trousers. They seem to offer the practicality and hard-wearingness of jeans in a softer fabric.

I find suits very comfy. But you already thought I was odd anyway.

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    A well fitted suit can be very comfortable. The thing is taking to to a tailor to have the adjustments made that actually knows what they are doing.

Oh and making sure your shirt collar isn't too snug.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    I was thinking about buying some tweed the other day. If just to weird out my NZ friends and family when I go back in Feb for a holiday

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    emnmnme wrote:
    emnmnme wrote:

that's

profoundly distressing

How so? The only could-be-plausible comic I've read was when his cat was determined to disturb him while he was working.

http://www.whompcomic.com/comics/2012-01-06-Dunlap.jpg

http://www.whompcomic.com/comics/2012-01-09-Speaking-The-Shame-Language.jpg

http://www.whompcomic.com/comics/2011-12-16-Public-Display-of-Confection.jpg

http://www.whompcomic.com/comics/2011-12-14-Survivor-Jilt.jpg

http://www.whompcomic.com/comics/2011-12-05-The-Dumb-Of-All-Fears.jpg even this one

http://www.whompcomic.com/comics/2011-12-02-Pretty-Insecure.jpg

i think dress pants and suit pants are much more comfortable than jeans

Women with short black hair are 15% more attractive than women with another hair color. Wearing a black bob is 20%.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-fvFD2zN98

But that's a brunette emnmnme.

nibXTE7.png
    I don't get how suit jackets are supposed to work comfortably around the shoulder area, is the thing. The way they're constructed seems to involve way too much fabric for ease of movement, and because there's no give or cling in the fabric, if you move your arms they're going to bring the rest of the garment with them unless it's really baggy. Which presents its own problems around the midriff-waist area.

The drooping sock in the last panel sells the whole thing, imo.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    japan wrote:
    I don't get how suit jackets are supposed to work comfortably around the shoulder area, is the thing. The way they're constructed seems to involve way too much fabric for ease of movement, and because there's no give or cling in the fabric, if you move your arms they're going to bring the rest of the garment with them unless it's really baggy. Which presents its own problems around the midriff-waist area.

NANITES

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I fucking love whomp

• DrezDrez Registered User regular

Brunette and black are the same thing. Except one is brown.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar

Looks black to me.

Kalkino wrote:
    I was thinking about buying some tweed the other day. If just to weird out my NZ friends and family when I go back in Feb for a holiday

Get some plus fours.

And a gamekeepers cap.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Whomp scares me. I relate to the main character too much for my liking... Except about the good stuff.

This discussion has been closed.