As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] PAX East Tabletop Freeplay Thread

Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right NowDrives a BuickModerator mod
edited January 2012 in PAX Archive
Since there's a huge number of threads relating to tabletop threads, and in the interest of keeping the forum nice and tidy, I'm opening up this thread for all discussion of tabletop games. Since the guys who run the tabletop tournaments will inevetably create a thread for tournaments once details for those are hammered out, this thread will be primarily for freeplay discussion, but feel free to talk about what tournaments may potentially be like until such thread is created. Below are quotes from the previous threads created in order of facilitating discussion from those threads into this one, but feel free to talk about whatever tabletop games excite you.
Cards Against Humanity. We will be bringing it, with expansions. Anyone interested in a meetup?
Just wondering if there are any players of Warlord that will be attending PAX East 2011?
Vampire 20th edition PnP game. I am looking to run a one to two session (2-4 hrs each) chronicle at PAX East using the V20 rule set. The setting will be, ironically, Boston and will be a cammy based game. I am looking for 3-4 players. All new characters. If interested get in touch here or my site www.wodnews.net

Or if you are just a Vampire fan would love to meet you as well and talk shop over a burger or drink. Look forward to seeing you all there!
Drain wrote:
If anyone is on Twitter and looking for a group during PAX (East or Prime) they can use the #ttlfg (table top looking for group) hashtag. Include game, number of players and location, like this:

@Attendee1 Need 2 more for Fury of Dracula, at the table across from SJ Games #ttlfg

or

@Attendee2 Solo player looking for any group in TT but Munchkin #ttlfg

Also the official un-official PAX official TableTop twitter account is @TT_HQ.

E6LkoFK.png

Moe Fwacky on

• Options
    sarge1445sarge1445 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I was wondering I know people play games in line and was wondering how big the Yu-Gi-Oh TCG don't want to bring a deck or 2 to find that there is no one to play with.

sarge1445 on
    I AM THE VAMPIRE
  • Options
    S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    I have some decks

hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    sarge1445sarge1445 Registered User regular
    well that 1 in 69000 alright hope to see you in line man

I AM THE VAMPIRE
  • Options
    TheMidnightEntityTheMidnightEntity Registered User new member
    I have a deck, hoping to find someone to play with

• Options
    deflatermau5deflatermau5 CanadaRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have any of the games for DS or PSP? I don't have a TCG deck but i own all the games and would love to link up and play against anyone down there

• Options
    BeerNgamingBeerNgaming Registered User regular
    I'll jump onto this one.
    I'm interested in getting together people for tabletop RPGs such as (but not limited to):
    Burning Wheel
    Paranoia
    Dread
    Fiasco
    Monsters & Other Childish Things
    And quite a few more that sit on my shelves for far too long.

Also, if you're wanting to run a game, especially one I've never played before, I'm probably interested in playing.

• Options
    KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    Never played Paranoia or Burning Wheel, so I'd be interested in giving those a shot. I will almost definitely be doing a couple games of the old West End Games Star Wars RPG (not the D20 WotC one that came later). It's a nice, quick, action-oriented system with good pre-written quests. I'm already bringing a few friends, so we'll probably be looking for about 2-3 additional players.

• Options
    adastraadastra Registered User regular
    I'd love to coordinate some opportunities to play some of the recent Kickstarter-funded tabletop games - I suspect there won't be many (any?) in the lending library, since they're new and pretty rare. I've got a copy of Carnival, and perhaps there will be some others floating around? I know some of the designers will have playtest copies at the more tabletop-oriented cons this year, maybe we can see if there will be any to demo at PAX for games that aren't shipping yet?

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Tuesday evening we'll have Cards Against Humanity + Expansions at the JJ Foley's meetup.

Let me know if you want to schedule a meetup to play at any other time during the week.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    WodrithWodrith Registered User regular
    My wife and I are very interested in getting involved with some table top games. So far Ive got her to play munchkin and zombies!!! Any Im very willing to pick up any new games as well. Havent got to play any DnD stye tabletops since college started. If you need players during the event, just let us know :D.

• Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Depending on the car space I might bring 7 Wonders and Last Night on Earth (w/ all expansions). Hopefully Cryptozotic will be smart and have the new PA deckbuilding expansion/stand alone for sale there so I can buy a copy.

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    griff6659griff6659 Syracuse , NYRegistered User regular
    Any Warhammer 40k players? What is the most common army size people play with at PAX?

Well, that is a thing!

PAX East 2014:
    Hotel [x] Transportaion [Driving] Passes [x] Challenge Coin [Soon]

• Options
    KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    griff6659 wrote:
    Any Warhammer 40k players? What is the most common army size people play with at PAX?

You might want to check this thread.

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Options
    FruhmannFruhmann Registered User regular
    look at me avatar. i'm the short wookie. if you see me, invite me to game!

• Options
    jaded_realityjaded_reality Registered User regular
    adastra wrote:
    I'd love to coordinate some opportunities to play some of the recent Kickstarter-funded tabletop games - I suspect there won't be many (any?) in the lending library, since they're new and pretty rare. I've got a copy of Carnival, and perhaps there will be some others floating around? I know some of the designers will have playtest copies at the more tabletop-oriented cons this year, maybe we can see if there will be any to demo at PAX for games that aren't shipping yet?

Myself and my friend will be arriving in Boston on Thursday and would love to meet up before PAX and play some Cards Against Humanity. As this is my first PAX I'm not sure where we would do it but if we could get enough people that are interested I'm sure we could meet up at a hotel or a restaraunt somewhere. What do you think?

3 Day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Travel [ ] 3DS [X] Alcohol Tolerance [X]
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Chorazin wrote:
    Hopefully Cryptozotic will be smart and have the new PA deckbuilding expansion/stand alone for sale there so I can buy a copy.

This. Is it supposed to be released around then?

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    Myself and my friend will be arriving in Boston on Thursday and would love to meet up before PAX and play some Cards Against Humanity. As this is my first PAX I'm not sure where we would do it but if we could get enough people that are interested I'm sure we could meet up at a hotel or a restaraunt somewhere. What do you think?

We're bringing it, with expansions and are looking for folks who want to meet up before or during PAX to play. We're staying at the Westin.

• Options
    DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    Moe, can you add to your OP that if anyone is on Twitter and looking for a group during PAX (East or Prime) they can use the #ttlfg (table top looking for group) hashtag. Include game, number of players and location, like this:

@Attendee1 Need 2 more for Fury of Dracula, at the table across from SJ Games #ttlfg

or

@Attendee2 Solo player looking for any group in TT but Munchkin #ttlfg

Also the official un-official PAX official TableTop twitter account is @TT_HQ.

N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho
  • Options

We're bringing it, with expansions and are looking for folks who want to meet up before or during PAX to play. We're staying at the Westin.

If you're going to bring them I'll be there to play. I wasn't one of the lucky souls to get the Westin but I'm only about a mile or so away from the hotel and I'll have a car so meeting up won't be a problem at all.

• Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    redfield85 wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:
    Hopefully Cryptozotic will be smart and have the new PA deckbuilding expansion/stand alone for sale there so I can buy a copy.

This. Is it supposed to be released around then?

"Spring" is listed as the release date, so it should be for sale at PAX East. The base set is a great game, but man is the replay value low because of the lack of variety of the bosses and characters.

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    King of MarsKing of Mars A freak among weirdos A city in my mindRegistered User regular
    Is chess considered a tabletop game? I never see it mentioned anywhere, so last year I wasn't sure whether or not I should bring a board.

Writhe your naked ass to the mindless groove.
    twitter //
    3DS: 2492-5478-6311 // Steam & WiiU: kingofmars2099
  • Options
    DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    Is chess considered a tabletop game? I never see it mentioned anywhere, so last year I wasn't sure whether or not I should bring a board.

We had a set of Transformers Chess in the Library last year, but we retired it because it never got checked out. Technically yes it's a TableTop game, spiritually no it's not. If you really want to get your checkmate on then bring your own board to make sure you can.

N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    There is an incredibly slim chance, but a chance nonetheless, that I'll have a new (unpublished) system to playtest come PAX East. I can't give details yet, but would anyone be interested in playing a new and probably buggy system?

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    There is an incredibly slim chance, but a chance nonetheless, that I'll have a new (unpublished) system to playtest come PAX East. I can't give details yet, but would anyone be interested in playing a new and probably buggy system?
    Sure! In fact, we'd probably be up for testing it at game night either the week before or the Tuesday before, if you want to bring it . . .

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Options
    Fruhmann wrote:
    look at me avatar. i'm the short wookie. if you see me, invite me to game!

How will I recognize you with a shirt and without a Wookie?

• Options
    nataliepinataliepi Rogue Astronomer PARegistered User regular
    Definitely looking forward to playing some table top games! I'm eager to learn some new ones too since my table-top-gaming-knowledge is sort of lacking.

PAX East 2013 Checklist: 3-Day PAX Badge [x] Hotel [x] Travel [x] Time Off [x]
    t: @nataliepi | fb: fb.com/hernandeznlh
  • Options
    nataliepi wrote:
    Definitely looking forward to playing some table top games! I'm eager to learn some new ones too since my table-top-gaming-knowledge is sort of lacking.

Mine is too!

• Options
    nataliepi wrote:

Mine is too!
    Glad to know I am not the only one!

• Options
    nataliepi wrote:
    nataliepi wrote:

Mine is too!

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

• Options
    TrazmcnazTrazmcnaz Registered User new member
    I will be bring along Alhambra and Munchkin if there is interest. I know of at least 2 players for each!

• Options
    TrandescentTrandescent Registered User regular
    ..Its not exactly a card game, but I'm bringing along a copy of Settlers of Catan.

8elUgf9.png

PAX East 2018 4-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass [X] Hotel Reservation [X]

See y'all at PAX East 2018!
  • Options
    CreamsteakCreamsteak Thrall Registered User regular
    I may have some games on hand to run sessions, but it's too far out and up in the air at this point.

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    can anyone share some general info on how the tabletop freeplay library works? I only hit tabletop briefly with games I had just purchased last year, looking to spend a lot more time there this year and try some new stuff!

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    tvethiopia wrote:
    can anyone share some general info on how the tabletop freeplay library works? I only hit tabletop briefly with games I had just purchased last year, looking to spend a lot more time there this year and try some new stuff!

1) show up and look through games
    2) pick a game you want to play
    3) give them something as collateral (usually your photo ID), they give you the game.
    4) play game
    5) give game back, get your ID back.

This is pretty much standard procedure for any freeplay library at PAX.

Sometimes there are people hanging around the booth trying to get groups for games. You can also have an LFG flag or something of that nature to indicate you want to play something with folks.

• Options

I may or may not be available before PAX. My group hasn't figured out exactly when we'll arrive on Thursday - if we take the train, we'll get in around 8PM. If we drive, it could be earlier... but last year, we didn't get in until after midnight.

During PAX, however, I intend to spend countless hours in tabletop freeplay. It usually closes later than all of the scheduled events, so we could set up some times to play during the day or in the wee hours...

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Just to clarify - there are two different types of Tabletop Freeplay being discussed on this thread.

1) Official, Event-Sponsored Tabletop Freeplay (as explained by Zerzhul, above)
    - Happens inside BCEC
    - Is subject to convention hours and staffing
    - Has a huge library of games to check out

2) Individuals bringing personally-owned games (look through the threads)
    - Meetups could happen anywhere or any time
    - Meetups need to be scheduled in advance with the game's owner or check twitter for any impromptu postings
    - Meetups could potentially include alcohol or late-night walks back from bars or hotels

LexiconGrrl on
  • Options
    nataliepi wrote:
    nataliepi wrote:

Mine is too!

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

Now that that crucial step is out of the way, I plan on lurking around the table top gaming area and hope no one senses the newbie in me. I swear, I am a fast learner!

• Options
    adastra wrote:

I may or may not be available before PAX. My group hasn't figured out exactly when we'll arrive on Thursday - if we take the train, we'll get in around 8PM. If we drive, it could be earlier... but last year, we didn't get in until after midnight.

During PAX, however, I intend to spend countless hours in tabletop freeplay. It usually closes later than all of the scheduled events, so we could set up some times to play during the day or in the wee hours...

Sounds good. As we get closer to PAX feel free to hit me up and we'll see what we can do to get together and let the madness begin.

• Options
    ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular
    adastra wrote:

Sounds good. As we get closer to PAX feel free to hit me up and we'll see what we can do to get together and let the madness begin.

Never played it, but I'm interested in trying it out. I should be arriving in Boston around 2 on Thursday. Keep me posted!

PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
  • Options
    Drain wrote:
    Moe, can you add to your OP that if anyone is on Twitter and looking for a group during PAX (East or Prime) they can use the #ttlfg (table top looking for group) hashtag.

BTW, I really hope that this is more heavily utilized this year! I tried using the hashtag (both tweeting and watching for it), and never had any luck last year. It's such a powerful tool... if people are using it! I don't know if cell network issues were the biggest issue, or what.