As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre/Post PAX Maryland Meetup

• MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    Changing locations is fine with me. Games and Stuff would actually be a hair closer for me so, while I certainly can't speak for anyone else, if more people can make it there, I'd be all for it.

1tLJUH2O.png
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    If you guys were going for a MAGFest group registration, get that submitted soon, because the plug is being pulled on December 16th.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I am running wicked late today, I'll prolly be up there 545 or 6 took so long to move

• mactromactro Registered User regular
    Hey,
    A little late to this discussion - but I'm definitely interested in meeting up with some PAX East-ers from the area and those who are going to Magfest! I live in the DC/Bethesda area.

When/where is the next meet up?

You can't spell assassin without sin, and twice the ass!
  • mactromactro Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Exodus1 wrote:
    Yes, I believe we'll keep Jan 14th as our normal meet-up, but anyone interested in going to MAGFest, we can definitely get a group going. I've been thinking about going myself, but I could only make the weekend, and not too sure I could afford a hotel room to stay for both days =/

I think the Magfest idea is perfect. I'll be there all 4 days. I'll be rooming at Hyatt Regency in Crystal City...a 20 min drive so if you need a cheap hotel room you can join us!

mactro on
    You can't spell assassin without sin, and twice the ass!
    edited December 2011
    Glad to have you on board. The more the merrier.
    I think are currently shooting for 1/14@Noon for the next meetup. I don't know if the location is quite decided yet but It will most likely be at either Dream Wizards in Rockville or Games and Stuff up in Glen Burnie, depending on who all can commit to coming.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
  • MaximumMagic87MaximumMagic87 Registered User new member
    I want to go to this and also am a gamer from the Rockville, MD area. I am dying to try Pandemic, and I also want to find more people who play Ascension. I am a Magic the gathering gamer and I do enjoy FPS/Third person action video games. If anyone is looking for a game I am typically at Dream Wizards on Fridays and for big events. I also am open to travelling to somewhere else like someone's house to game. I went to GenCon last year for the first time and had a blast. I want to do PAX this year and possibly GenCon.

• Sentient6Sentient6 Mad Grad Student Registered User regular
    I'm down for wherever for the next meetup assuming I can arrange some way to get there.

On a somewhat different note, I just picked up the Battlestar Galactica board game. Would anyone be interested in playing that next time?

Sentient6 wrote:
    I'm down for wherever for the next meetup assuming I can arrange some way to get there.

On a somewhat different note, I just picked up the Battlestar Galactica board game. Would anyone be interested in playing that next time?
    Where are you coming from?

• nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    If I can come I'll give anything a shot I hear Battlestar Galactica takes a long while though

If I can come I'll give anything a shot I hear Battlestar Galactica takes a long while though

Supposedly it takes 2-3 hours. I haven't actually gotten together enough people to play it yet so I don't know though.

Sentient6 wrote:

Supposedly it takes 2-3 hours. I haven't actually gotten together enough people to play it yet so I don't know though.
    looks awesome, but you didn't answer my question, what area are you in, if your on the way I'll give you a ride.

zepherin wrote:
    Sentient6 wrote:

looks awesome, but you didn't answer my question, what area are you in, if your on the way I'll give you a ride.

Oh wow. I somehow totally missed both your posts. I'm in College Park.

• Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular
    Sentient6, Battlestar Galactica looks cool, I'd be down to play. I myself got Mystery Express and Arkham Horror for x-mas, so we have some new stuff to try out in Jan. !

Please, everyone start posting if you are available to come to the Jan. 14th meetup. Hope everyone had a great holiday =D

Exodus1 wrote:
    Sentient6, Battlestar Galactica looks cool, I'd be down to play. I myself got Mystery Express and Arkham Horror for x-mas, so we have some new stuff to try out in Jan. !

Please, everyone start posting if you are available to come to the Jan. 14th meetup. Hope everyone had a great holiday =D

Multiple hours games for everyone!

I'll be there, with some new dominion expansions too.

1tLJUH2O.png
    I'm good the 14th. I'm stoked, if we are going to games and things I can give you a ride sentient because I pretty much drive through college park going up there. If someone could grab him if we decide on dream wizards that would make things optimal.

zepherin wrote:
    I'm good the 14th. I'm stoked, if we are going to games and things I can give you a ride sentient because I pretty much drive through college park going up there. If someone could grab him if we decide on dream wizards that would make things optimal.

Thanks a lot. I bummed a ride with Emporium last time, but I'm not sure if he's coming. Guess I should check with him too.

I'll post whether I can come or not when I know

Well, I was planning on Games and Stuff for our Jan 14th meet, to accommodate anyone from more northern reaches, @OccamsRZR or @Onmitsu, will you be able to join us?

FYI, impromptu meet-up today 12/31 at 11:30 at Dream Wizards, so far there's 4 of us, meeting up to play Mystery Express and Arkham Horror if anyone is in the area and wants to join!

edited January 2012
    Next Meet-up: January 14th at Games and Stuff at 11am

Attending:
    Exodus
    Gespo89
    Zepherin
    Sentient6
    Murdoc
    TabooPhantasy
    Nevermore13
    Adastra +1

If you plan on coming, let me know and I'll add your name to the list!

Games and Stuff is a great shop, lots of space, and friendly staff. They even have a nice little back room I will try to procure for our meet-up.

So far, we have a nice influx of new games to try out, Sentient6 is planning to bring Battlestar Galactica, and I will be bringing Arkham Horror and Mystery Express. I hope to see you all there!

Events Calendar

Exodus1 on
    I'm disappointed I missed the last one this date is going to work I will be there but Exodus might want to push it back to 12? I mean I know we have no official time just thinking 11 might be a bit early isn't that right when they open? We want to give them a little time, and if I have when they open wrong disregard that part of the message.

I'm disappointed I missed the last one this date is going to work I will be there but Exodus might want to push it back to 12? I mean I know we have no official time just thinking 11 might be a bit early isn't that right when they open? We want to give them a little time, and if I have when they open wrong disregard that part of the message.

Yea, that's when they open. I'm gonna get there at 11am, the games we want to play this meet-up are on the longer side (Galactica and Arkham), and Arkham Horror takes about 30min just to set up, and then rules have to be explained, so I'd like to start things on the earlier side that way the games can progress in a relaxed fashion. I've spoken to the staff at Games and Stuff, they're really nice, and will be more than ready for us at 11am when they open, that said, you could prolly get there around 11:30 and still get in on a game being set up.

If they are fine with us getting there at 11:00 I can get there around then I was more worried about the staff being ready for our arrival. Yea I have heard Arkham Horror takes awhile to set up.

If they are fine with us getting there at 11:00 I can get there around then I was more worried about the staff being ready for our arrival. Yea I have heard Arkham Horror takes awhile to set up.

Great, you can help me set up if you're there =D

• EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    Hey fellas, sorry I'm terrible at the whole "hey I'm coming/not coming" thing, but it looks as though I probably won't be able to make it this month. It dawned on me very recently that I'll be having some school orientation bullshit to deal with that day, so that will probably take up the vast majority of the 14th.

Emporium wrote:
    Hey fellas, sorry I'm terrible at the whole "hey I'm coming/not coming" thing, but it looks as though I probably won't be able to make it this month. It dawned on me very recently that I'll be having some school orientation bullshit to deal with that day, so that will probably take up the vast majority of the 14th.
    Good luck with your orientation stuff, I know that's usually somewhat of a bore lol, hope to see you at the next one!

Hey everyone, PAX East question, is anyone from the meet-ups going to be in the BYOC? I have a group of 5 so far, if we get at least 1 more we can do group seating, so let me know if you're interested.

edited January 2012
    Also a few weeks before we go to Pax we should have a safety meetup so we know who is going and such, just so we have a contact in Boston should something go wrong, I don't think anything will Pax is a chill place but you know just in case an emergency having an emergency contact in the area can prove useful. And also I would be willing to do a phone tag head count before I leave Sunday if anyone wants me to so that everyone is accounted for Sunday.

zepherin on
  • adastraadastra Registered User regular
    I'm in for the 14th, plus one (and possibly two, though it looks unlikely). We've played Arkham Horror, though it's been a little while. Battlestar Galactica and Mystery Express have both been tentatively on my wishlist for a while, so I'd love to give them a play and see if I want to acquire copies for myself!

Our gaming group collectively owns 120+ games (not counting expansions and derivative games), if there's anything anyone has been interested in playing at a future meetup.

adastra wrote:
    I'm in for the 14th, plus one (and possibly two, though it looks unlikely). We've played Arkham Horror, though it's been a little while. Battlestar Galactica and Mystery Express have both been tentatively on my wishlist for a while, so I'd love to give them a play and see if I want to acquire copies for myself!

Our gaming group collectively owns 120+ games (not counting expansions and derivative games), if there's anything anyone has been interested in playing at a future meetup.
    Great! Always glad to have some new faces, I actually played a game of Arkham Horror a couple weeks ago with some of the guys, it was actually pretty fun even the first time around, even if we were mostly laughing that the manual explains to you how to lose/die on page 15, then goes on for another 15 pages, kind of a "you got this far?" lol.

We'll definitely have to talk about games for future meets, looks like you have quite a library.

• mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    I am sad that I did not see this thread earlier. I have plans for each day of my three day weekend. but I will try to attend the next gathering.

Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
    @adastra As Exodus said we are always happy to see new people. Definitely excited to try Arkham Horror (might not be there til 11:45 but should be there earlier. We may need to talk about your game library for the February meetup and al future meetups.

@mentok1982 this is one of the reasons that meetups are monthly so that people who can't come to some will have a chance to come to others. Hopefully you can make the one in February or March.

Also as a general note under 3 months til PAX and we will have to decide if we want to do one in March, I would like to keep it monthly but I can see skipping the month before PAX with people getting prepared. We can discuss it later though.

In case anyone is checking here, we're leaving a bit later than expected - planning to hit Glen Burnie around 11:30-45.

We're on the second floor in the back room.

1tLJUH2O.png
  • TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    Sigh. It's been a rough morning for me, guys. One of my dogs got very ill overnight so I won't be able to make it today. I would like to make a request for the next meetup to be on a Sunday. It is much easier for me to get that day off.

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
    Fun group, a couple of epic games, and Cylon infiltration.

edited January 2012
    It was great to meet everyone today! We'll see if we can make it next month - we'll be out of town mid-month and that might be a conflict.

A few things that I wanted to mention:
    - The Great Brain Robbery is the game that I was trying to remember that is about zombies on a train.
    - This list contains the current list of games that my small tabletop gaming group collectively owns, as of today... before I purchased Kittens in a Blender this evening. We could bring pretty much any of these games to the events that one or more of us is able to attend. Questions are welcome, if you're curious about any of the games!
    - I'm pretty sure that I've figured out which ones of you are Cylons.

Oh! Edited to add:
    - Headless Hollow puts out very useful free condensed game rules for complicated boardgames like Arkham Horror or Battlestar Galactica. They distill multi-page rulebooks into a couple of pages of simply-worded rules, sometimes with nice reference cards as well. I've printed out the ones for all of the games that I own and find them really useful. If you need help getting some printed for your games, I have access to a color printer and sturdy paper.

adastra on
    edited January 2012
    Thanks everyone for the great games. See you all next month (or next week for some of you).

Also, I know it came up as a topic today, just because we have an "official" meet once a month doesn't mean there has to be some arbitrary restriction on that. I know some of us are getting a side thing going with D&D as it is. If you have some free time to kill on an upcoming weekend or something, don't hesitate to throw something up here and/or in the google group (http://groups.google.com/group/mdpaxmeetup) and see if you get some bites (I know some people expressed interest in meeting a bit more at the meet tonight). It might also be a good opportunity to catch some of the people who have expressed interest but haven't been able to make one of our "official" meets (I count 4 on this page alone, and 2 more that have only been able to make one). In short, if you want to do some gaming, or anything else you think people might be interested in for that matter, don't hesitate to speak up.

Also, holy crap that's a big list of games. I may have to poke through that list and makes some requests if that's cool with you.

Oh, wow. When you mentioned that rules site, I thought it would be cool but I didn't realize how well done everything would be. The rules like they could be an official rulebook if printed on the right paper. I was expecting something that looked more like a text document or something. Now I can go read about how we are undoubtedly still playing arkham horror wrong.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png