As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Magic: the Gathering: Cardboard Crack

• Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Really hope we see some impressive Undying cards though. More and more I want to build an EDH deck full of those creatures, Persist creatures and reusable methods of handing out +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters to creatures (my own and others).

Hex Parasite sez hai 2 u.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Really hope we see some impressive Undying cards though. More and more I want to build an EDH deck full of those creatures, Persist creatures and reusable methods of handing out +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters to creatures (my own and others).

Hex Parasite sez hai 2 u.

If he's got black in the deck, sure. But I think he'd get more mileage out of something like Power Conduit or even Ferropede. A lot of effects the eat counters off other permanents are pretty specific, though; they usually just apply to charge, time, +1/+1, or -1/-1. Being able to bestow counters, like he suggested, is probably the better way to go.

Although Sage of Fables and undying guys seems like a stupid, stupid combo.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Hex Parasite and Ferropede are looking good. Power Conduit could be amazing (remove a +1/+1 from an Undying creature, put a +1/+1 on a Persist creature that also died, bam, both are now back to square one again). I do like that HP and PC can be used as combat tricks though.

Of course, of the 3 Undying creatures revealed so far, 2 are red (one is a 1/1 for 3, the other is a 4/1 for 5) and the other is a green 2/1 for 2.

If I go GWB, I could do Doran (though there don't seem to be many Persist creatures with higher toughness than Power to make use of that), Guru (for efficient +1/+1 counter placement/removal) or Karador for recursion.

Hrm, maybe instead of a new deck I'll just try to insert them into Guru as a sub-theme if I can find the cards to remove to make space.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote:
    Yeah, Hex Parasite and Ferropede are looking good. Power Conduit could be amazing (remove a +1/+1 from an Undying creature, put a +1/+1 on a Persist creature that also died, bam, both are now back to square one again). I do like that HP and PC can be used as combat tricks though.

Of course, of the 3 Undying creatures revealed so far, 2 are red (one is a 1/1 for 3, the other is a 4/1 for 5) and the other is a green 2/1 for 2.

If I go GWB, I could do Doran (though there don't seem to be many Persist creatures with higher toughness than Power to make use of that), Guru (for efficient +1/+1 counter placement/removal) or Karador for recursion.

Hrm, maybe instead of a new deck I'll just try to insert them into Guru as a sub-theme if I can find the cards to remove to make space.

Yeah, Ghave seems like it's by far the best shell for this deck concept.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    so tomorrow i get to help my friend who gave me the 4x FoW sort through his older cards to sell them finally. I sent him here (http://ark42.com/mtg/pricelist.php) to get a rough idea for older commons/uncommons to pull out of his boxes. he replies with "oh, wastelands? I've got 6 of those". This should be fun.

• WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    So here's my current incarnation of UB Zombie Mill. It's straight-up control right now, but it might shift to a more creature-based approach after DKA comes out. I haven't playtested it at all yet, and this is my first real foray into Control, so what do you think?

(Edited for grammar derp)
    WuShock's (First) UB Zombie Mill - "Zombie Nation"
    Lands:
    4x Darkslick Shores
    3x Drowned Catacombs (I only have 3)
    4x Nephalia Drownyard
    7x Swamp
    7x Island

PW:
    4x Jace, Memory Adept

Creatures:
    4x Undead Alchemist
    4x Cemetery Reaper
    1x Grave Titan (if I had two, I'd swap a CR for it, but alas)

Other:
    4x Mana Leak
    2x Endless Ranks of the Dead
    2x Moan of the Unhallowed
    3x Doom Blade
    3x Despise
    4x Ponder
    3x Forbidden Alchemy
    1x Army of the Damned

Sideboard:
    3x Geth's Verdict
    2x Silent Departure
    3x Life's Finale - (safety valve for WW/Token decks, or maybe Curse of Death's Hold here?)
    3x Unbreathing Horde
    1x Grimoire of the Dead
    3x GFTT

WuShock on
    Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    So has anyone been checking out the infinite mana combos for Havengul Lich? I've seen at least 5.

Things like: Havengul Lich, Heartless Summoning, Priest of Urabrask.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    I just realized Havengul Lich allows you to target shit in your opponent's graveyard too.

That's...delightfully horrifying.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    edited January 2012
    Oh. Havengul Lich allows you to cast target creature spell. It doesn't bring the creature back itself, only let's you pay the mana cost for it. Still good, but not as powerful as I was thinking for a while there.

This also makes it less terrifying for enemy decks. They're still not going to be able to gain control of your super-dragon if they don't have some way of getting red mana.

Sir Fabulous on

Also can we have all the revealed cards in the OP?

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Also can we have all the revealed cards in the OP?

... No.

Not to be a dick, but why try to keep that updated when people can just go to MTGS or Wizards.com for the whole list with all their info/images?

I'll include a link specifically to the DA spoiler/s but it seems like a waste of time and effort when there are 2 sites (one official, one not) that already do so.

Edit: further hilarity: Feral posted the Wizard's one. It's the second post in the thread. >.<

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I just added the MTGSalvation link to that post, too.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    cobra43.jpg

Poor Liliana.

V0Gug2h.png
    Her name is literally an anagram of "A Villainess". The odds of her being a heroine were slim.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited January 2012
    Well, in the novels, she is quite a flirt and got it going with Jace at some point, who she helped to mind rape Tezzeret. The latter eventually became an agent of Bolas, while Jace sort of casually confessed to her. The reason she left is because she's made a pact with a quartet of demons (she's searching for Griselbrand in Innistrad) to retain her youth and she's hunting them down to reclaim her soul again. Garruk meanwhile got cursed by her veil and is now hunting her down to also lift his curse. Of course, Sorin stole the spotlight by being the chief of Innistrad, looking for his creation. How did he even create an angel with divine power out of thin air? He's just a good-looking vampire!

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    he's magic's drzzt?

jCyyTSo.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote:
    Her name is literally an anagram of "A Villainess".

tumblr_lnvvueuSsj1qcj56b.png

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

Chen wrote:
    Well, in the novels, she is quite a flirt and got it going with Jace at some point, who she helped to mind rape Tezzeret. The latter eventually became an agent of Bolas, while Jace sort of casually confessed to her. The reason she left is because she's made a pact with a quartet of demons (she's searching for Griselbrand in Innistrad) to retain her youth and she's hunting them down to reclaim her soul again. Garruk meanwhile got cursed by her veil and is now hunting her down to also lift his curse. Of course, Sorin stole the spotlight by being the chief of Innistrad, looking for his creation. How did he even create an angel with divine power out of thin air? He's just a good-looking vampire!

He's a Planeswalker.

• TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    The only thing more silly than planeswalkers are their stories.

oh h*ck
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    I really don't like Planeswalkers and I hope one day we will move past them.

JKKaAGp.png
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I doubt I'll ever play with one since they are so expensive and if I ever draft one I'll probably trade it for playsets to continue drafting.

• yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    I like the concept of Planeswalkers. I've never used them in play, so I'm not sure how well they work on the field, but they're cool.

edited January 2012
    Yeah, the way they explain how their sparks ignite is often times kind of dumb. Like, Sorin became a planeswalker because he became a vampire. Literally. The trauma of his vampiric transformation led to his ascension. It's something you'd more likely read on fanfiction.net. And that still doesn't explain how he can magically conjure divine, sentient beings. Chandra is a pyromancer and therefore chucks fireballs at people; she can't suddenly raise the undead because she's a planeswalker! Same thing with Garruk who's a druid and Jace who's a wallet slayer. /neeeerdraaaage

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    8 for the LGS draft again tonight, we played m12 (no idea why) ive never played it before but i won playing black/white! in the rare redraft i picked up gideons avenger first there wasn't very much to choose from.

Chen wrote:
    Yeah, the way they explain how their sparks ignite is often times kind of dumb. Like, Sorin became a planeswalker because he became a vampire. Literally. The trauma of his vampiric transformation led to his ascension. It's something you'd more likely read on fanfiction.net. And that still doesn't explain how he can magically conjure divine, sentient beings. Chandra is a pyromancer and therefore chucks fireballs at people; she can't suddenly raise the undead because she's a planeswalker! Same thing with Garruk who's a druid and Jace who's a wallet slayer. /neeeerdraaaage

Sorin's been a PW for a loooooooooooong time. Like, before Teferi and the events of Time Spiral block caused all PWs to take a significant hit to their power. Look at the crap that Urza, Freyalise, and especially Serra (who literally created her own plane of existence) did in the older stories -- Sorin was on that level too for quite a while.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    edited January 2012
    Ah, if Sorin created Avacyn before the Mending, then that'd patch up inconsistencies. I hadn't considered that Innistrad existed millennia, since it's pretty much the Renaissance in a gothic horror setting, while Dominaria had all sorts of advanced technology. I suppose all the shenanigans from vampires, werewolves, demons and zombies had halted the advancement of humankind, but then what did Avacyn exactly do before she vanished? Sorin screwed the pooch on that one.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Avacyn maintained the status quo, because Sorin saw that maintaining the status quo was essential for the survival of the vampires, specifically himself, his old clan, and so forth.

Sorin isn't really "good," he's more of a purely self-interested neutral. Which makes sense, given the old planeswalkers and their nigh-infinite power.

Chen wrote:
    Ah, if Sorin created Avacyn before the Mending, then that'd patch up inconsistencies.

Yeah, he was one of the three PWs who sealed the Eldrazi away too (one of which has never been named). Dude was apparently responsible for some heavy shit.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Wee. I just won a case of sampler decks for about 50 bucks. LIttle pricey, but having 20 half-decks with which to introduce people to the game and get them started is going to be niiice.

• Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    I think that's a pretty cool teaching tool. I went the booster battle pack route to try and get them hooked on that "just opened a new booster... what's inside?" feeling. That way you can combine the playing and the collecting aspects at the same time.

steam_sig.png
    You can take two of those little intro decks, put them together, throw in a few rares, and have some workable casual decks.

That's one of the things I'm thinking, Feral. If someone gets super into it, I can give 'em one or two, point them at a starter deck that'd mesh with it, and let them tinker with deckbuilding.

I'm also playing around with the idea of those booster battle packs, since those do some pretty cool stuff and aren't exactly expensive.

• peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    scgs preview, another green fatty

ajGtJvFQJsFqhxDzsxcGKtwmGVc.jpg

• Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    yalborap wrote:
    That's one of the things I'm thinking, Feral. If someone gets super into it, I can give 'em one or two, point them at a starter deck that'd mesh with it, and let them tinker with deckbuilding.

I'm also playing around with the idea of those booster battle packs, since those do some pretty cool stuff and aren't exactly expensive.

*opens booster for first time*

"Uhhh, what's a plans-walker?"

"It's nothing. Junk. Probably best give it to me."

steam_sig.png
    That looks like it could be a serious pain in the ass for Limited. Maybe a bit too expensive for Constucted.

Oh I thought it cost 6 mana. 5 mana actually isn't bad at all, especially for a green deck.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Definitely have room for one of those in my Pod deck. sac it for Wurmcoil, get it back stronger? I'm in. The three green mana makes it a bit tough to hard cast, but that's pretty rare for 5 drops anyway in that deck.

Best part: I don't need a playset. Actually that's the best part about that deck. Only need 1 of any of the powerful fatties.

I also heartily support any insect tyoe creatures. ANY OF THEM.

Even Scavenging Scarab.

• TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I demand the reprinting of Scute Mob!

oh h*ck