As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pre/Post PAX Maryland Meetup

• Options
    nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Thanks to all the Cylons who came and played today. I don't believe we have an official date set for February and as the football season will be over come February 6th (this matters to some), I have no problem with starting to meet on Sundays. For me Saturdays are still preferable, but whatever more people can do because more people are always better.

Also, if anyone can think of a way for us to get more people from the forums or the surrounding areas out I am very open to ideas. It's kind of hard with just the forum post and I am worried about this post getting lost in all the Pre-Pax festivities. Spread the word to all your friends and it was great seeing some new faces to go with the familiar faces we had today.

Lastly, and I don't know how often I have to make this point just because we are super awesome and beat Arkham Horror does not mean we were playing it wrong. I have no doubt we played it wrong but not because we won.

nevermore13 on
  • Options
    MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Wow. Did I hit a nerve? I never actually said anything to that effect in my post, but since you brought it up anyway, I wonder if you have some doubts... =)

Anyways, either Saturday or Sunday is fine with me, given some notice. Also, so do we want to just start alternating between DW and G&S?

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular
    gespo89 wrote:
    Now I can go read about how we are undoubtedly still playing arkham horror wrong.

Biggest thing I could find is that we weren't moving the monsters properly, they have different speeds, and the blue ones fly, and immediately attack the nearest investigator in a street. Not big, but we definitely would have had less time to prepare for fighting the monsters with them moving properly.

• Options
    Exodus1 wrote:
    gespo89 wrote:
    Now I can go read about how we are undoubtedly still playing arkham horror wrong.

Biggest thing I could find is that we weren't moving the monsters properly, they have different speeds, and the blue ones fly, and immediately attack the nearest investigator in a street. Not big, but we definitely would have had less time to prepare for fighting the monsters with them moving properly.

More importantly, when are you gonna get us some of those nifty looking expansions I see rules for?

1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    adastraadastra Registered User regular
    gespo89 wrote:
    Also, I know it came up as a topic today, just because we have an "official" meet once a month doesn't mean there has to be some arbitrary restriction on that. I know some of us are getting a side thing going with D&D as it is. If you have some free time to kill on an upcoming weekend or something, don't hesitate to throw something up here and/or in the google group (http://groups.google.com/group/mdpaxmeetup) and see if you get some bites (I know some people expressed interest in meeting a bit more at the meet tonight). It might also be a good opportunity to catch some of the people who have expressed interest but haven't been able to make one of our "official" meets (I count 4 on this page alone, and 2 more that have only been able to make one). In short, if you want to do some gaming, or anything else you think people might be interested in for that matter, don't hesitate to speak up.

Depending on availability, we Sara(h)s may have one or two more in tow next time. There are a few other boardgamers that I know, but we can barely ever get them to play with our little group... ;)

There are a lot of other gaming groups that meet around the DC-Balto area, and perhaps that's something that we can tap into on the quest for new members. The Games Club of Maryland has a bunch of weekly groups that meet all over the area (including a group that meets on Tuesday at Games and Stuff). Not only is that an opportunity to play more games more often... if we meet some of those folks, maybe they'd be interested in joining us! I'd also mentioned Meetup, which is a way for people to advertise opportunities to get together in their local area. There are piles of tabletop groups on there, and some with hundreds of members apiece. If we wanted to put our group on Meetup and advertise events from there, we would almost certainly get a bunch of people (possibly more than we can handle, which I've seen happen on there, so we'd need a plan for that). There is a monthly fee for running a group on Meetup, $12-19/month, which I think we could probably afford if we think it's worthwhile.
    gespo89 wrote:
    Also, holy crap that's a big list of games. I may have to poke through that list and makes some requests if that's cool with you.

Sure! As long as one of us is available, we can bring some games along! They're split among us, so we might need a day or two notice if someone wants a game that belongs to someone who isn't coming. I'd say that we've played about half of what we've got, since we tend to accumulate faster than we have game nights, so I'd love to play through some of the new ones.
    gespo89 wrote:
    Oh, wow. When you mentioned that rules site, I thought it would be cool but I didn't realize how well done everything would be. The rules like they could be an official rulebook if printed on the right paper. I was expecting something that looked more like a text document or something. Now I can go read about how we are undoubtedly still playing arkham horror wrong.

I'd expected the same thing, but the designer has really gone the distance to match the look and feel of the game (and violate copyright at every turn, but who's counting?). I printed on shiny paper and they look very nice in the game boxes! However, they are often much smaller than the boxes, especially when you're looking at the bigger games. This also means that the text is sometimes really tiny.

• Options
    gespo89 wrote:
    More importantly, when are you gonna get us some of those nifty looking expansions I see rules for?

Wait. You want the game to be longer and more complicated? :D

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    adastra wrote:
    gespo89 wrote:

It's about ramping up the difficulty.
    :twisted:

• Options
    adastra wrote:
    gespo89 wrote:

Hah, I'm sure I'll start acquiring them shortly. In speaking with someone who'd played many of the expansions, I was told they actually make the game shorter (if not more complicated), since you tend to die faster lol.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    zepherin wrote:
    adastra wrote:
    gespo89 wrote:

It's about ramping up the difficulty.
    :twisted:

Exactly. They won. We can't have that.

I've poked through the gaming groups on meetup before, never heard of before Games Club of Maryland though. May have to check it out some time.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    gespo89 wrote:
    I've poked through the gaming groups on meetup before, never heard of before Games Club of Maryland though. May have to check it out some time.

We first heard about them at Intervention last fall and have intended to hit one of the weekly Friday night events at the Tastee in Silver Spring. It hasn't happened yet, we really should do it.

• Options
    adastra wrote:
    gespo89 wrote:

We first heard about them at Intervention last fall and have intended to hit one of the weekly Friday night events at the Tastee in Silver Spring. It hasn't happened yet, we really should do it.
    Interesting, gamers meeting in a vintage style diner. It always seems to come down to that.

• Options
    shadowfaeshadowfae Registered User regular
    Nice to meet you all yesterday! I was there with adastra, and I see she's already shared our list of games that we could hypothetically bring with us.

• Options
    fyeahckingfyeahcking Registered User regular
    Back from vacation! Glad you all had fun at the last one. Looking forward to the one in Feb for sure.

• Options
    PsykusPsykus Registered User regular
    When/where is the next meetup? Sorry, new to this thread and can't find all the relevant info.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Psykus wrote:
    When/where is the next meetup? Sorry, new to this thread and can't find all the relevant info.
    I've been trying to shoot for the second weekend of every month. Taboo has asked if we can do a Sunday meet, so that'd put us at Feb. 12th back at Dream Wizards (the plan is to alternate shops each meet). Football will be over with, so I don't think Sunday should be an issue for most. Post your availability for Feb. 12th and I'll put up another roster. =D

P.S. Also post what games you'd like to play, adastra and shadowfae have graciously offered up their library for requests, so be sure to ask if you see something interesting!

I know I'd like to get a shot at Battlestar Galactica since I was busy last meet running Akrham Horror.

Exodus1 on
  • Options
    fyeahckingfyeahcking Registered User regular
    Awesome! Count me in. I'm happy to play anything/bring along my copies of Catan/Seafarers if anyone wants to play them.

• Options
    TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    I will put in a request for this day off!

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Unless something unexpected comes up, I'll be there, with the usual stuff.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    gespo89 wrote:
    Unless something unexpected comes up, I'll be there, with the usual stuff.

I just realized our last meet we didn't play a single game of dominion D: I feel ashamed, lol.

• Options
    cyanosauruscyanosaurus Registered User regular
    I would love to make it to one of these! Shame on me for not knowing about this before.

rawr.
  • Options
    You know I'm in.

• Options
    FartmancerFartmancer Registered User regular
    I'll see about making it to the next one. Sounds like fun. I've probably never played any of the games!

• Options
    I would love to make it to one of these! Shame on me for not knowing about this before.

Hey, you know now, hope you can make it to the next one!
    Fartmancer wrote:
    I'll see about making it to the next one. Sounds like fun. I've probably never played any of the games!

Great, we're always happy to get some new people, we usually have enough to run a couple games at once, and are always happy to teach (and sometimes learn) new games.

• Options
    PsykusPsykus Registered User regular
    Count me in. I'm a tabletop noob so I'm up for any type of games. Anything but Monopoly really.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Psykus wrote:
    Count me in. I'm a tabletop noob so I'm up for any type of games. Anything but Monopoly really.

Oh don't worry the cruelty of our board games will make you think fondly of the halcyon days of Monopoly

Nah they are really fun.

zepherin on
  • Options
    inkybrushesinkybrushes Registered User regular
    Hey, so I just stumbled upon this thread...I attended PAX East last year with my boyfriend. I had no idea there were so many gamer people in Maryland, and all the meetups and stuff.

I actually work at Games & Stuff in Glen Burnie, MD. We have about 2000 sq. ft. of open gaming space, and if anyone was interested, we could host some sort of Pre-PAX event/meetup thing. Ed (the store owner and my boss) is a super cool dude and would probably be happy to put something on the schedule.

• Options
    Lol, I feel retarded that I didn't even realise you guys were there last week...I wasn't working that Saturday. *facepalm*

• Options
    Hey, so I just stumbled upon this thread...I attended PAX East last year with my boyfriend. I had no idea there were so many gamer people in Maryland, and all the meetups and stuff.

I actually work at Games & Stuff in Glen Burnie, MD. We have about 2000 sq. ft. of open gaming space, and if anyone was interested, we could host some sort of Pre-PAX event/meetup thing. Ed (the store owner and my boss) is a super cool dude and would probably be happy to put something on the schedule.

Haha, yea I found Games & Stuff a couple weeks back, I've been telling everyone how nice the staff was! If you wanted to help us do a more official event on the Games & Stuff schedule I think that'd be great, we were definitely planning on coming back.

• Options
    nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    Yea as Exodus said definitely planning on coming back there and I have to say that I love the store especially all the open space upstairs. I think the plan will be to go back there in March. If you could help us get the word out or something that would be awesome.

Oh and as far as I know the February date works for me because as was mentioned no more football so I can do sundays.

• Options
    Yeah, I have to say, I was a customer there for years before working there...the staff are all super awesome. As for getting an official event, that should be no problem, as event planning and coordination is one of the things I do anyway. XD I'll see what I can get in March. What sort of things do you guys want to do?

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Yeah, I have to say, I was a customer there for years before working there...the staff are all super awesome. As for getting an official event, that should be no problem, as event planning and coordination is one of the things I do anyway. XD I'll see what I can get in March. What sort of things do you guys want to do?

Well, so far we've had about 10 or so people each meet usually Noon till around 7pm, then go to dinner. I don't know the store's feeling on food, but maybe we could combine the two and do some sort of pax tabletop pizza party? I was also thinking maybe we could do a game that is large group friendly, like Wolves or something, but I don't know of many. Any ideas or suggestions you have are most welcome.

Exodus1 on
  • Options
    Lol, I feel retarded that I didn't even realise you guys were there last week...I wasn't working that Saturday. *facepalm*
    We succeeded in our stealth roll.

• Options
    We are thinking of doing an impromptu meet up at Games & Stuff Saturday the 28th.

• Options
    Sentient6Sentient6 Mad Grad Student Registered User regular
    I'm most likely in for next February assuming my plans don't change and I can somehow bum a ride from and to College Park.

I'd be in for next Saturday if I didn't already have other plans.
    Exodus1 wrote:
    I know I'd like to get a shot at Battlestar Galactica since I was busy last meet running Akrham Horror.

As long as I can make it, I'll bring BSG again.

• Options
    zepherin wrote:
    We are thinking of doing an impromptu meet up at Games & Stuff Saturday the 28th.

I may be headed up to PA sometime next weekend. If I'm here on Saturday, I'd be up for this.

1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Since there hasn't been any traction on meeting this Saturday I think it's probably not going to happen, especially if it's just exodus, maybe gespo and me. So I guess it's not going to be a go, at least unless we get another person or two. On the plus side I picked up Talisman 4th edition, which is a bad ass game.

zepherin on
  • Options
    seanmadiseanmadi Registered User new member
    I wouldn't be able to make it tomorrow (Saturday), but I would love to play some games in Glen Burnie on another day.

On a side note: is anyone looking to share a hotel or ride up to Boston? I have a party of 3 and I'm trying to make the 16 tolls on the way there cheaper... Or has anyone gotten plane/train tickets for less than $90 each way?

• Options
    HuskyDorkHuskyDork Registered User regular
    seanmadi wrote:
    I wouldn't be able to make it tomorrow (Saturday), but I would love to play some games in Glen Burnie on another day.

On a side note: is anyone looking to share a hotel or ride up to Boston? I have a party of 3 and I'm trying to make the 16 tolls on the way there cheaper... Or has anyone gotten plane/train tickets for less than $90 each way?

Amtrak tickets for the PAX train (176 Northeast Regional @ 12:02p on 4/5) are going for $70 one way. JOIN US.

LQckybu.png
  • Options
    seanmadi wrote:

Great, I'll let you know the next time we are up at Games and Stuff. Man, airfare has really gone up, I booked tickets back in October for $99.50 round-trip. Driving with a group is probably the cheapest route now.

• Options
    mcslantymcslanty Registered User regular
    jumping in to keep track of this. I'm in silver spring. i have a group of friends out in VA that usually do a weekly game day of 40k/D&D and occasionally mix in other stuff.