As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The highly classy [Tea and Cake] thread

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Aghhhh I steeped flower tea and grapefruit zest in sugar and water and added the grapefruit juice and looked at the ice cream maker instructions and oooh nooo I was supposed to leave the container in the freezer til solid before doing anything

NEW KITCHEN TOY FAIL

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Furthermore, scales based upon electric resistance, which digital scales function from are still based of gravity, which is a function of d^2 between the masses which means different elavations have differing weights further messing up your measurements.

Moral of the story. Nothing is ever accurate. Cook from your heart!

Moral of the story - calibrate your transducers!

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    One, kitchen scales are fantastic and ever since I got one, I love using it.

Two, you people are nuts. Who cares about thermostat numbers? Especially when you need to make sure all the lines in the screws holding the light switch and power outlet covers to the wall must be all horizontal.

• Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    A pleasant surprise: I found a Christmas tin of Danish butter cookies buried behind a few boxes in the pantry. It may have survived the holiday snacking frenzy, but its days are numbered.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Just surmounted a hefty pile of German red tape and am celebrating with a nice tall glass of chai in an Egyptian cafe while outside it rains miserably.

This is the nicest day I've had all year.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I do the whole ending in 5 or 0 thing with volumes too!

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    What makes the cafe Egyptian?

• Options
    edited January 2012
    It's ... got Egyptian food and is owned by an Egyptian guy?
    Although the decor leans Moroccan and the drinks menu is almost pure German so I guess it's just a cafe. I was trying to imply somw kind of opulence in my surroundings. For example, I'm sitting on an embroidered cushion.

tynic on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    That is pretty decadent.

• Options
    I actually thought you were in Egypt what with the talk of German red tape!

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote:
    Furthermore, scales based upon electric resistance, which digital scales function from are still based of gravity, which is a function of d^2 between the masses which means different elavations have differing weights further messing up your measurements.

Moral of the story. Nothing is ever accurate. Cook from your heart!

ABC Family movie of the year.

• Options

Haha
    I want to go to Egypt one day but at the same time I'm not sure I'd enjoy it. I mean, history, food, desert, culture = great, but crowds, pollution and civil insurrection = less awesome.

I have some friends who decided to go diving near alexandria right when the riots were happening. Crazy Germans.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    I apparently need to infuse some gin with jasmine tea for a drink recipe I have

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    My friend used to infuse vodka all the time

Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries... Even rosemary once

• Options
    tynic wrote:

Haha
    I want to go to Egypt one day but at the same time I'm not sure I'd enjoy it. I mean, history, food, desert, culture = great, but crowds, pollution and civil insurrection = less awesome.

I have some friends who decided to go diving near alexandria right when the riots were happening. Crazy Germans.

A guy I work with is Egyptian and went home for 3 weeks and was telling me all sorts of ridiculous shit.

He owns a camel and can get it to spit at people on command. He's a funny guy.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Speaking of German bureaucracy, I just heard from my friend who is a diplomat stationed in Saudi and has dual Australian/German citizenship. She was trying to fly into Munich and the passport control were giving her a hard time, and eventually he told her tgat since she had saudi residency, she needed a signature from the Australian embassy in Riyadh before she could enter. She leaned across, looked him in the eye, and said " I AM the embassy. Where do I sign."

tynic on
  • Options
    You have cool friends.

• Options
    tynic wrote:
    Speaking of German bureaucracy, I just heard from my friend who is a diplomat stationed in Saudi and has dual Australian/German citizenship. She was trying to fly into Munich and the passport control were giving her a hard time, and eventually he told her tgat since she had saudi residency, she needed a signature from the Australian embassy in Riyadh before she could enter. She leaned across, looked him in the eye, and said " I AM the embassy. Where do I sign."

This is awesome.

• Options
    My friends are pretty rad, it's true.

Also, they all drink copious amounts of tea. Coincidence???!?

• Options
    I'm surprised tea is big in Germany.

• Options
    Since it is a plant steeped in hot liquid, are we allowed to ask about herbal brews in this thread? (I refuse to call them herbal teas, because there is no actual Camellia Sinensis in them.)

If so, there are some that are very yummy.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    The French love their tea. You get tea shops everywhere. It makes the fact that they are shit at making it all the more confusing.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Well, I was thinking of the general set of all my friends, most of whom are Australian or British. But tea is pretty big in Germany, although very little of it is technically tea. Mostly people drink fruit or herbal teas, so more like infusions really.

The little coffee bar at work does a great Turkish chai (I don't think it's spelled chai actually but that's how you say it)

tynic on
  • Options
    There is a great tea place that I frequent that is all fair trade and makes the best wraps and guava croissants

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Syphyre wrote:
    Since it is a plant steeped in hot liquid, are we allowed to ask about herbal brews in this thread? (I refuse to call them herbal teas, because there is no actual Camellia Sinensis in them.)

Please go ahead! They're mostly what I drink these days, anyway. :)

• Options
    tynic wrote:
    Well, I was thinking of the general set of all my friends, most of whom are Australian or British. But tea is pretty big in Germany, although very little of it is technically tea. Mostly people drink fruit or herbal teas, so more like infusions really.

The little coffee bar at work does a great Turkish chai (I don't think it's spelled chai actually but that's how you say it)

oh yeh, that makes more sense.

I enjoy tea buy don't drink it nearly enough.

• Options
    Janson wrote:
    Syphyre wrote:

Well to be honest, I mostly have nothing. I'm more a fan of "fruit" teas than of mint, root, or other types (Chamomile is like drinking a cup of ground wheat) but I'm certainly open to suggestions.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Syphyre wrote:
    Janson wrote:
    Syphyre wrote:

Well to be honest, I mostly have nothing. I'm more a fan of "fruit" teas than of mint, root, or other types (Chamomile is like drinking a cup of ground wheat) but I'm certainly open to suggestions.

I like to call them tisanes because it's a cool word. And I'm a fan of the mint, root, and flower teas (like chamomile is one of my favorites, just smelling it reminds me of fields of flowers here in the summer). I'm not a fan of tisanes with spices in them, I tried this one with cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, black pepper, nutmeg, and some other stuff in it and it was pretty terrible.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    i have a friend who is obsessed with egypt and goes like 3 times a year she is insane

• Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    favorite tea experience - hanging out in teterias in granada, spain. tea and tapas-bar hopping were how I spent the majority of my weekends. I wish I could do it again!

• Options
    I do not like teas that taste like flowers, ick

I prefer fruity ones, like blueberry or strawberry

Tisane is the word my local tea shop uses

Their tea of the day today is: "China Gunpowder Temple of Heaven" Green Tea

• Options
    Beasteh wrote:
    i have a friend who is obsessed with egypt and goes like 3 times a year she is insane

egyptian money is so disgusting because most people don't have pockets so they keep it in their socks/underwear!

this is what you learn from working in foreign exchange

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    yeah, tisanes aren't really tea but so what? everyone understands what you mean by herbal tea.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    My favorite tisane is this stuff, though I have yet to try it iced the pear and orange peel make it super delicious hot.

Usagi on
  • Options
    Druhim wrote:
    yeah, tisanes aren't really tea but so what? everyone understands what you mean by herbal tea.

I know, I'm just being ridiculous :P
    Usagi wrote:
    My favorite tisane is this stuff, though I have yet to try it iced the pear and orange peel make it super delicious hot.

This sounds pretty good. I'm going to have to look through this.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Their cranberry orange rooibos is really good also

• Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote:
    Druhim wrote:
    Green tea should be steeped in water that's about 170-180 degrees for 3-4 minutes.

I was taught that with really good green teas, you're looking at no hotter than 70 degrees C (which is 158 F) and 60 seconds of brewing time... and with some of the REALLY fancy green teas, like Longjing, you don't need much more than 30 seconds.

That said, you should be steeping them multiple times. My grandmother would insist on no more than 2 times while my father was taught (by a tea expert, no less) to do it 3 times, no more, no less. But this is with pretty good quality stuff, so really it's about not overheating the leaves to the point where the tanins (I think they are called?) are drawn out and make the tea bitter, so you use short brewing times and multiple steepings to bring the flavour out instead.

Medium quality green teas are typically brewed between 70 and 80 C (so 158 to 176 F) and for no longer than 120 seconds.

Lower quality green teas will need hotter water and longer brewing times... something like up to 90 C for 2 to 3 minutes.

You never want to brew a green tea (even low quality stuff) for longer than 3 minutes, because then it doesn't matter WHAT quality tea you started out with, it will all basically taste the same.

Like, unless it came in a teabag and was made by I dunno Lipton or someone. Then it probably doesn't matter what temperature or for how long you brew it, it will still be bitter as SHIT.

My god, thank you for telling me this. I feel like an idiot for never taking the multiple short brewings approach before, but it has made a noticeable difference even with this kinda crappy green tea I have.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Usagi wrote:
    Their cranberry orange rooibos is really good also

What you linked looks great, and that rooibos sounds amazing.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Egypt is a beautiful place but yes, if you don't like crowds it's probably not the place for you. If you can get out of the urban areas you would probably be fine

Morocco is fantastic too and I wonder what Libya is going to be like in a decade

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    God I really want to go to Turkey. Someone tell me about how awesome Turkey is

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke