As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

haters only

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    The hate is swelling in you now. Give in to your anger. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you.

• Options
    B_RB_R Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I hate stutent Burschenschaften.

These things are basically corrupt right wing organisations.

B_R on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    B_R wrote:
    I hate stutent Burschenschaften.

These things are basically corrupt organisations.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Gotta say, "shut up what do you know?", is highly presumptuous and rarely excusable. It relies on privilege as much as any other thing.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Gotta say, "shut up what do you know?", is highly presumptuous and rarely excusable. It relies on privilege as much as any other thing.

Oh shut up
    What do you know anyway

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I hate people.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    ya'll ain't know nuttin'

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    oh, i know nuttin'

very intimately

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Yeah, this is the last place you accuse anyone of not knowing about that.

• Options
    I regret no posts

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    if my roommate hadn't come back tonight i'd be nuttin' right now

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    If I weren't at work, I'd be nuttin' right now too.

• Options
    Cause, you know, celebrating Martin Luther King Jr.'s life.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I am nuttin' right now

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Pharezon wrote:
    Blake T wrote:
    Pharezon wrote:
    Blake T wrote:
    You could try not missing the point.

Everyone knows the more you say something, the more important it is!

There were people conversing about it and you're both free to join in on the conversation rather than whine about an info dump.

Or, perhaps you've been reading this website: http://derailingfordummies.com/

The people who were, which there were very few, are already aware of privilege. I mean shit, if you want to participate in a circle jerk and celebrate how you and all of your friends are fine people who know all about privilege go ahead. You can then be aware that you're better than other people too.

But if you actually want to help change people's perception on things, you might not want to tell someone to suck a bag of geese when they offer some critiscm.

Why is it so difficult to read a helpful primer written in a very non confrontational way, though? It's easier to carry out a conversation once you've read that because of all the concrete examples it offers. What would you say to promote discussion? What are your criticisms?

There is nothing wrong with the article. It's a good article. It's written for someone who wants to have the beliefs challenged (or confirmed). My point is that if you want to change someone, who isn't yet interested in changing their views, dropping a few pages worth of text isn't going to work. And as knob said, if you keep doing it, they'd find it annoying so why would they be open to an idea that is being obnoxious.

Like i said something bite sized, like a paragraph from people talking or something is easily accessible. They can look at it, pick up an idea and move on. They might not relate to it, but you are getting them to at least consider a new idea.

• Options
    power to the people

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    if i wasn't a puss i might call up this girl and be like

"hey, let's nut"

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I am nuttin' right now

sendkeithamessage.jpg
    Kadith wrote:
    if i wasn't a puss i might call up this girl and be like

"hey, let's nut"

sendkeithatextmessage.jpg

godmode on
  • Options
    I'd be careful about sending this keith person messages

the line between ironically having cyber sex and actually having cyber sex is so much thinner than you think

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote:
    I'd be careful about sending this keith person messages

the line between ironically having cyber sex and actually having cyber sex is so much thinner than you think

I have never ironically had cyber sex

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Or ironic regular sex

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote:
    Or sex

• Options
    Darmak wrote:
    Or sex

Oh snap.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote:

Oh shut up
    What do you know anyway

Thumbwrestlin'

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote:
    Pharezon wrote:
    Blake T wrote:
    Pharezon wrote:
    Blake T wrote:

There were people conversing about it and you're both free to join in on the conversation rather than whine about an info dump.

The people who were, which there were very few, are already aware of privilege. I mean shit, if you want to participate in a circle jerk and celebrate how you and all of your friends are fine people who know all about privilege go ahead. You can then be aware that you're better than other people too.

But if you actually want to help change people's perception on things, you might not want to tell someone to suck a bag of geese when they offer some critiscm.

Why is it so difficult to read a helpful primer written in a very non confrontational way, though? It's easier to carry out a conversation once you've read that because of all the concrete examples it offers. What would you say to promote discussion? What are your criticisms?

There is nothing wrong with the article. It's a good article. It's written for someone who wants to have the beliefs challenged (or confirmed). My point is that if you want to change someone, who isn't yet interested in changing their views, dropping a few pages worth of text isn't going to work. And as knob said, if you keep doing it, they'd find it annoying so why would they be open to an idea that is being obnoxious.

Like i said something bite sized, like a paragraph from people talking or something is easily accessible. They can look at it, pick up an idea and move on. They might not relate to it, but you are getting them to at least consider a new idea.

You're doing the tone argument derail. Nice!

For reference: Tone Argument As Logical Fallacy
    Generally speaking, the person who is saying, “I would agree with you/support you/support your cause if you were nicer about it” has no intention of ever agreeing or supporting in any way. Admittedly, getting into motive is tricky, and I hate to say, “you know it when you see it,” but this is obviously going to be subject to interpretation. However, this argument often comes down not to, “I agree with you, but I think you could have phrased it better,” but, “I would agree with you if you phrased it better.” The fallacy is not objecting to wording but putting a price on agreement or support.

http://queerdictionary.tumblr.com/post/3970478063/tone-argument

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Um

I'd read that paragraph you just quoted more closely. Specifically this part:
    However, this argument...comes down not to, “I agree with you, but I think you could have phrased it better,” but, “I would agree with you if you phrased it better.” The fallacy is not objecting to wording but putting a price on agreement or support.

wandering on
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Hey Pharezon I guess I'm doing the tone argument derail because right now you a goose

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Thanks wandering.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Nsfw language ( probably obvious from the title) ( edit: or not since I fail at embedding)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulIOrQasR18

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    What did I miss?

Did anyone hate me?

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    homer cries in every fucking episode of the simpsons now, they use it for comedic effect constantly,

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Pharezon wrote:
    Blake T wrote:
    Pharezon wrote:
    Blake T wrote:

Dude, can't you see how the wording of that article is very condescending? "Congratulations, you have privilege!" It basically drips with mockery of those who aren't educated on the subject (most people) and therefore is pretty shit when it comes to actually making people want to read it and digest it and so on. If the purpose of that primer is to explain and persuade people that they have privilege, then it sucks hard. This is already a subject that many people are uncomfortable with because nobody likes being told that they are some sort of privileged oppressor. Sneering it at them doesn't help one bit.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Tonkka wrote:
    What did I miss?

Did anyone hate me?

I hate you.
    Because you never hang out with me.

• Options
    Pharezon sorry but you've made too many questionable posts in a row. Nothing you can do now but create a new account, move to a new house so you have a new IP address, and start fresh

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I hate double posts

wandering on
  • Options
    Solar wrote:
    Pharezon wrote:
    Blake T wrote:
    Pharezon wrote:
    Blake T wrote:

Dude, can't you see how the wording of that article is very condescending? "Congratulations, you have privilege!" It basically drips with mockery of those who aren't educated on the subject (most people) and therefore is pretty shit when it comes to actually making people want to read it and digest it and so on. If the purpose of that primer is to explain and persuade people that they have privilege, then it sucks hard. This is already a subject that many people are uncomfortable with because nobody likes being told that they are some sort of privileged oppressor. Sneering it at them doesn't help one bit.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/21832502#Comment_21832502

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    I hate how I read the whole thread to not double post a video, then it got posted barely 1 page behind me as I was posting it! ( but I screwed up my embed anyway)

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    you screwed up tobes, now get the hell out of here

• Options
    Embed Racists! or Something!

This discussion has been closed.