As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: December's done, time for the next one

1939495969799»

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Pier Solar, the Sega Genesis indie RPG released last year, apparently sold well enough that they just reprinted a new run of the game (the game has been sold out for months and was fetching high prices on ebay).

http://www.magicalgamefactory.com/en/shop/

I wish I still had a functioning genesis. Id buy this in a heartbeat.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Pier Solar, the Sega Genesis indie RPG released last year, apparently sold well enough that they just reprinted a new run of the game (the game has been sold out for months and was fetching high prices on ebay).

http://www.magicalgamefactory.com/en/shop/

I wish I still had a functioning genesis. Id buy this in a heartbeat.

From the look of things, you can pick up a Genesis for pretty cheap on Amazon. That's what I'm planning on doing.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I have a working 2nd gen Genesis!
    Not sure if it's worth buying a $60 game for it though.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    that thing on QUBE last page was really cool, i'm glad that partnerships like that can happen in this industry, when every other news story is some horrible, shitty thing happening to devs :thumbsup:

• Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    Hasn't there been a variety of 'semi-official' portable and mini plug-in Mega Drives released recently? Catering to the retro market?

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I just don't get making a Genesis game in this day and age. Why not release it on a good console like the SNES?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    ValleoValleo Registered User regular
    Hasn't there been a variety of 'semi-official' portable and mini plug-in Mega Drives released recently? Catering to the retro market?

http://www.amazon.com/Genesis-Gaming-System-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B001LVH80M

• Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote:
    I just don't get making a Genesis game in this day and age. Why not release it on a good console like the SNES?

Because Genesis does what Nintendon't.

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote:

Maybe the Genesis is easier to make games for?

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    And now, news I think will delight you jaded folk: (some) social game players are horrible people.
    A new study from PopCap Games finds that those who cheat while playing social games are nearly 3.5 times more likely to be dishonest in the real world than non-cheaters, with offenses ranging from cheating on taxes to illegally parking in handicapped spaces.

PopCap Games, along with Information Solutions Group, surveyed more than 1,200 adult consumers across the U.S. and the UK, and found that 48 percent of players who admit to using a hack, bot, or cheat in a social game also admit to cheating in some way in real life -- for non-cheaters, that number drops to just 14 percent.

PopCap revealed that among those who admit to cheating in social games, 53 percent admit to cheating on tests at school, 51 percent report illegally parking in handicapped spaces, and 49 percent claimed to have cheated within a committed relationship.

In addition, 58 percent of social game cheaters in the UK admitted to cheating on their taxes, compared to just 33 percent for U.S. cheaters.

The report also said that 118 million people play social games regularly across the U.S. and the UK, and 7 percent of U.S. players admitted to cheating while playing these games, while 11 percent admit to doing so in the UK.

"It's not surprising that online cheating parallels real-world cheating, even if people are just experimenting with the possibilities," said Dr. Mia Consalvo of Concordia University. "With more of our daily systems and processes moving online, and being divorced from human contact (downloading music, filing taxes online) the risks either appear to be lesser, or they don't feel like crimes."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/39588/Half_of_social_game_cheaters_cheat_in_real_life_too_says_study.php

Also, the PS2 continues to exist.
    While Sony has since turned its spotlight away from the long-running PlayStation 2, the console is still going strong. So strong, in fact, that its worldwide holiday sales equaled those of the just-launched PlayStation Vita.

During the tail end of 2011, the PlayStation 2 sold 500,000 units worldwide, and Sony said the console "continues its sales momentum and remains robust sales especially in emerging counties and regions such as Eastern Europe, the Middle East, Southeast Asia and South America."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/39575/PlayStation_2_is_still_selling_10_years_later.php

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    cloudeagle on
  • Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    If i was still working i would buy Pier Solar in a heartbeat. (still tempted though)

I wonder if you could use the CD/Cart combo with a CDX.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    And now, news I think will delight you jaded folk: (some) social game players are horrible people.

Yeah, I posted that, like, last week. You even responded to the post. :D

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:

Yeah, I posted that, like, last week. You even responded to the post. :D

Cut me some slack man, I'm recovering from the flu. :P

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    edit: Whoops, wrong thread.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Talking about retro homebrew games, I'm looking forward to Battle Kid 2 to come out this year. The first one was a lot of fun and I'm glad I bought one of those cheap ripoff NES systems to play it on because it also plays SNES games (should have gotten the one that ALSO played Genesis games).

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote:
    Talking about retro homebrew games, I'm looking forward to Battle Kid 2 to come out this year. The first one was a lot of fun and I'm glad I bought one of those cheap ripoff NES systems to play it on because it also plays SNES games (should have gotten the one that ALSO played Genesis games).

This thread is dead (I found it while searching if news of the Pier Solar reprint had been posted) but I replied to you in the other thread.