As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Magic: the Gathering: Cardboard Crack

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Vorapede is nice. I could see playing it. It's competing with Garruk, Primal Hunter for slots at exactly the same mana cost, but I still like it.

Edit: man, I fucking loved Scute Mob. Great card.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    I'm just glad the crazy green mythic that comes back from the dead doesn't have haste like last time.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote:
    I'm just glad the crazy green mythic that comes back from the dead doesn't have haste like last time.

>.< I so wanted a playset of Vengevines. But for some reason it stayed at $30 until after Zendikar rotated.

oh h*ck
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    with vorapede, you could almost drop wolf run and ramp from that deck

just go for greenbeats.dec

• WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/178 Mikeaus the Unhallowed.

Mythic Rare
    3BBB
    Zombie Cleric
    Intimidate
    Whenever a human deals damage to you, destroy it.
    Other non-human creatures you control get +1/+1 and have undying.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/mm/178

Also, Flayer of the Hatebound sounds very intriguing. 5R for a 4/2 undying with, essentially, Warstorm Surge built-in.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

By my count, seven of the Mythics have been previewed.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    wow thats a limited gamewinner right there that flayer

also does that mean if you have black mikeaus out casting the white will legendary him? im not sure how it works with names

I know it works that way with Planeswalkers (you can't have both JTMS and JMA out at the same time), but I'm not sure about this case.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    For the legend rule, only the name matters. They have different names, so they can coexist. Just like Mirri, Cat Warrior and Mirri the Cursed, and Kamahl, Pit Fighter and Kamahl, Fist of Krosa.

Edit: Also Rorix Bladewing and Bladewing the Risen, and Akroma, Angel of Wrath and Akroma, Angel of Fury. I'm sure there are more that I've missed because I haven't paid much attention in the last three years (or just forgot).

Edit #2: Ertai, Wizard Adept and Ertai, the Corrupted. Yeah, they've done this a lot. I wonder if there's a complete list somewhere...

Edit #3: Like some guy's EDH deck.

blahmcblah on
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    Guessing the last mythic is going to be the 7 mana tranforming artifact card, Elbrus. Hoping it's completely bonkers.

edited January 2012
    JJ wrote:
    Guessing the last mythic is going to be the 7 mana tranforming artifact card, Elbrus. Hoping it's completely bonkers.

Not likely. We've already seen a/the transforming mythic. I don't think the print process can accurately support more than one.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    WOOOO CONLEY WOOOOOOOODS

Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
    vault.jpg

i dont know about this

I like it, and I want some for my commander decks. As for constructed, I'm not so sure.

oh h*ck
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Mikaeus the Unhallowed = GB Pod is a go?

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    Look at your land
    Now back to me
    Now back at your land
    YOUR CREATURES ARE NOW WURMCOIL ENGINES

Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yup, I'll definitely be getting some of those. Might even splurge for a playset, as I've got at least 3 decks that can definitely run it off the top of my head (Ghave, Doran, that W/B Lifelink Vampire guy), and I could probably justify pulling some random land to fit it into a fourth (Slivers comes to mind).

Great for late game in EDH when I pull a 'meh creature' and have a giant pile of mana to use, such as post wrath (theirs, mine, etc).

Sure, there's equipment that does it a lot cheaper, but our crew doesn't run more than token land destruction. Also, I can run this in decks with Basilisk Collar already in place for twice the chances of making my shit that much uglier.

I continue to love this block and set.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I like the implication here that "angel" is Innistrad's BW tribe.

Especially since Avacyn herself looks kinda gothy (and Sorin-y, obviously):
    864_unhbhpaqaq.jpg

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    EDH would only allow one of those lands, correct? You can't have multiples in edh?

jCyyTSo.png
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote:
    EDH would only allow one of those lands, correct? You can't have multiples in edh?

Correct.

Speaking of EDH and multiples, the new Mikeus would make a hilarious general for a Relentless Rats deck.

vault.jpg

i dont know about this

I'm in favor, although I'm not that wild about the possibility of five more lands junking up rare slots.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    Speaking of EDH and multiples, the new Mikeus would make a hilarious general for a Relentless Rats deck.
    what's the ratio for that? I never played edh. 30 swamp, 70 rats, 1 mikeus?

jCyyTSo.png
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Feral wrote:
    I like the implication here that "angel" is Innistrad's BW tribe.

Especially since Avacyn herself looks kinda gothy (and Sorin-y, obviously):
    864_unhbhpaqaq.jpg
    Cleric has also made a strong showing in B/W.

So maybe it's a wider "religion" metatribe.

Edit: Just saw Ravenous Demon. That guy is going to slot right into my Church of Skirsdag deck.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    The rats are cheap, but I'd probably start around 39 swamps, 60 rats, 1 Mikeus.

The vast majority of my EDH decks run 40 land, and as someone who used to struggle to play 21-24 land in 60 card decks, adhering to that (plus mana fixing/acceleration/searching) has served me pretty well.

Also, if the lands we see for each friendly colour pair are on par with this one, I wouldn't mind seeing 4 more.

• ChenChen Registered User regular
    I bet the U/R land is going to have the words 'copy', 'instant' and/or 'sorcery' in the text. I swear Wizards cannot design a U/R mechanic that fits the colour pie and is somewhat playable.

V0Gug2h.png
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Chen wrote:
    I bet the U/R land is going to have the words 'copy', 'instant' and/or 'sorcery' in the text. I swear Wizards cannot design a U/R mechanic that fits the colour pie and is somewhat playable.

Well, it's not like any of these lands are dramatically pushing expectations, so the fact that the U/R one might just explore the typical U/R tropes shouldn't be considered a greater strike against R&D than Gavony Township and company.

But yeah, I can see something like "1UR, T: Copy target instant or sorcery that was cast from a graveyard. You may choose new targets for the copy."

• ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Well, I mean, every one of the ability lands except Stensia Bloodhall are played in their respective colours, Moorland Haunt and Kessig Wolf Run being the standouts. I just know the U/R land is going to be the crappiest of the five assuming they're a cycle.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited January 2012
    PikaPuff wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    what's the ratio for that? I never played edh. 30 swamp, 70 rats, 1 mikeus?

I'm not serious about building a Rats deck. It's just a thought I find funny.

If you're actually interested in EDH, the usual baseline number is 40 lands. (You have 100 cards including your general.)

However, what I usually end up doing is 35 lands, 10 non-land mana sources/land fetchers. More or less. There are no hard-and-fast rules, and you have a lot more wiggle room in EDH.

I recommend the following articles:
    http://www.kourtnie.net/2011/03/17/100-edh-budget-cards/
    http://www.kourtnie.net/2011/02/28/highlander-mana-acceleration-part-one-artifacts/

They're still mostly true.

Feral on

• KenjiBeastKenjiBeast Registered User new member
    I'm looking for a cheapish way to get into MTG and I stumbled upon the Deckbuilder's Toolkit- is it a good investment?

TBH I just want to learn to play and maybe do some casual games w. friends.

KenjiBeast wrote:
    I'm looking for a cheapish way to get into MTG and I stumbled upon the Deckbuilder's Toolkit- is it a good investment?

TBH I just want to learn to play and maybe do some casual games w. friends.

Deckbuilder's toolkit is more of a good second step. If you're wanting to learn how to play without the pressure of building your own deck there are preconstructed decks you can buy. That way you can focus on mechanics rather than worrying about the quality of the cards in the deck.

The pre-con decks won't win you many tournaments, but they're typically quite solid and cohesive. With good play you should hold your own against most decks.

Just my $0.02.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    The event decks are generally decent as far as power goes. and can definitely win a few fnm or casual games with a bit of tweaking.
    http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/productarticle.aspx?x=mtg/tcg/innistrad/eventdecks are the 2 current Innistrad event decks, either is fun and well built.
    and the 2012 decks: http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/productarticle.aspx?x=mtg/tcg/magic2012/eventdecks

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    Foomy wrote:
    The event decks are generally decent as far as power goes. and can definitely win a few fnm or casual games with a bit of tweaking.
    http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/productarticle.aspx?x=mtg/tcg/innistrad/eventdecks are the 2 current Innistrad event decks, either is fun and well built.
    and the 2012 decks: http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/productarticle.aspx?x=mtg/tcg/magic2012/eventdecks

Just as a heads up, the 2012 Vampire Event deck is not standard/type 2 legal. If you're going to a FNM, ask for a judge to look at your deck before the event starts.

oh h*ck
    edited January 2012
    He... he just wants to play with friends. Unless those friends are going to FNM regularly, I don't think worrying about his deck being "standard legal" is a big consideration.

Kenji, if you have Steam, the Duel of the Planeswalkers game isn't a terrible way to cheaply learn about the game, especially since it goes on sale fairly regularly. Aside from that, I'd recommend borrowing decks from your friends to start. Even getting in cost effectively, Magic is not a cheap hobby, especially if you have friends who have been playing for years and/or are willing to put significant resources into it.

If they're into "EDH" (Elder Dragon Highlander, a variant with 100 card decks, no duplicate cards other than basic lands) there were some "Commander" (WOTC's name for EDH) decks released not too long ago that are pretty solid out of the box and can be upgraded/focused without breaking the bank.

Either way, any deck you buy/build right from the start (especially cost effectively) may well face several uphill battles towards your first victory. I'd ask your friends for some guidance. Do they play often? Multiplayer or one on one? Do they have a bunch of decks for using, or just one or a handful they've honed to a razor's edge? Do they go to tournaments? Pre-releases, Friday Night Magic, Pro Tour?

Magic isn't really one game for a million people, it's a million games for a million people, so before you buy much to expand your collection, I'd suggest talking to your friends about the matter.

Forar on
    Second (third?) the Innistrad event decks, particularly Hold the Line, are great for beginners.

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Deckbuilder's Toolkit contains 125 JANKY-ASS CARDBOARD RECTANGLES, 4 WEIRD OLD PACKS, and enough basic land for almost any deck.

As an FNM player, I was disappoint. If I didn't have much of a collection, though, it would pad it out considerably at little expense.

feg8n97pby_en.jpgffiyt3mbdx_en.jpgqadgexl1s8_en.jpgllbchv4xcu_en.jpg8lnya30yr2_en.jpg81apno1nrw_en.jpg

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Holy shit at Gravedigger's Cage.

Completely blanks dredge, reanimator, Natural Order, Tinker, Snapcaster Mage, Past in Flames, Green Sun's Zenith...

Is there any other hate card that kills so many strategies? I mean, damn, I can't believe they're printing that card.

Also tutorable with Enlightened Tutor and only costs one mana holy fuck...

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
    Predator Ooze may be replacing, or at least sharing time with Dungrove Elder in my RG deck.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png