As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX East 2012 Fitness Group! [Meetup Friday 4/6 1PM outside the Wyvern Theater]

• ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Stepped on the scale late last May at 325, stepped on it today at 274.4. Down 50 pounds and I feel great! I still have 75 to go but that's just a matter of time now. So happy today!

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Chorazin wrote:
    Stepped on the scale late last May at 325, stepped on it today at 274.4. Down 50 pounds and I feel great! I still have 75 to go but that's just a matter of time now. So happy today!

Good on you!

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    Chorazin wrote:

Congratulations! That is a HUGE accomplishment!

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    I think it's one of the hardest things ever to diet publicly. If you fail, everyone sees it and that's tough. But with that in mind, I've decided to bite the bullet anyway and join up. Somebody once said that you should do one thing every day that scares you. Since zombie runs are a bit out of my purvue, I created a fitocracy profile today and am putting this post here.

I've been doing a medically supervised weight loss program on and off over the past 6 months called Ideal Protein. I absolutely love it and it's super effective but really, really strict so it's hard to stay on. I lost 50 pounds last summer and just got back on it about 2 weeks ago - I'm trying to stick to it for 2 months (pre-PAX). I decided to set myself a timeframe instead of a weight goal this time - it seems easier to stay motivated when I know exactly when the end is.

So Hello! And please don't loose the zombies on me if I fail.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    OK, so it's 80 days till PAX. I'm thinking now that we're in the home stretch, maybe we could do a fitocracy group challenge? For some sort of dumb but much-coveted prize?

PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
    OK, so it's 80 days till PAX. I'm thinking now that we're in the home stretch, maybe we could do a fitocracy group challenge? For some sort of dumb but much-coveted prize?

Oh! Oh! I would totally be in for that! =)

Chorazin wrote:

Good on you!
    Chorazin wrote:

Congratulations! That is a HUGE accomplishment!

Thanks folks! :-)

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • DreamwishDreamwish Registered User regular

That could be fun. And if I'm honest with myself, I need more motivation to diet properly.

Dreamwish wrote:

That could be fun. And if I'm honest with myself, I need more motivation to diet properly.

Don't look at it as a diet, look at it as a lifestyle change! :)

I think a challenge is a good idea for you folks working out, but us diet change only folks get left out in the cold! :P

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    Chorazin wrote:

I think a challenge is a good idea for you folks working out, but us diet change only folks get left out in the cold! :P

Lifestyle change.. hmm. I confess I hadn't seen it as that. Thanks!

IMHO, if we do some sort of challenge, it should either be as inclusive as possible, or have a separate category for the diet-only folks.

• TemigTemig East [E] North Shore - MARegistered User regular
    Thread = motivation. I lost about 20lbs. the last time I really focused on trying to lose it and have been hovering around that end weight for quite awhile now. I'm sitting at ~233 right now and with 11 weeks to go until PAX I'm going to shoot for 210 come PAX. That's about half of what I'd ultimately like to lose but it's an attainable goal that isn't going to force me to do anything unhealthy but will require me to stay on top of everything.

I might be a little late to the game but there's no better time than the present, it's never too late to start, and all that jazz.

JQ1qRPt.png
    Dreamwish wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:

Lifestyle change.. hmm. I confess I hadn't seen it as that. Thanks!

IMHO, if we do some sort of challenge, it should either be as inclusive as possible, or have a separate category for the diet-only folks.

Yeah, if there's a problem with fitocracy right now, it's the lack of a nutrition tracker. I'm running in to the same issue I had before, the term 'fitness' goes in to such a broad category, I'm having trouble getting a vehicle large enough to include everybody in it.

• mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I have myself a girlfriend now and we just joined a gym together.
    She won't be going to PAX East (birthday party) but we both are looking to lose weight over the next few months.
    I will post a picture of my scale and probably my torso soon.

I will be going to the gym on M-W-F and I plan on increasing my water intake from arounf 40 ounces a day to
    just over 100 ounces a day. I read on some fitness site that you should take half your weight in pounds, and
    drink that many ounces of water per day.

I already eat pretty healthy since I make 90% of my own meals.
    I eat a yogurt, a Planters peanut bar, an apple or pear, and a lunchmeat sandwich with cheese, onions, tomato
    and lettuce for lunch during the work week. No more potato chips for this guy!

For dinner I usually cook a pasta dish with lean beef, chicken or pork, mixed with mushrooms and other veggies.

I am hoping to get rid of my belly fat, increase my stamina, and I want tp define my thighs, abs and pecs.
    My girlfriend has a thing for Chesty Jake so I am going to do my best to end up looking like him,

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
    mentok1982 wrote:

For dinner I usually cook a pasta dish with lean beef, chicken or pork, mixed with mushrooms and other veggies.
    If you're looking to slim down pasta is actually not the best option. Noodles are incredibly fattening unless you buy the right type.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
    mentok1982 wrote:
    I eat a yogurt, a Planters peanut bar, an apple or pear, and a lunchmeat sandwich with cheese, onions, tomato

A few (hopefully) helpful tips, if you don't mind!

Ditch the Planters bar, it's loaded with sugar. Plenty of better options out there for snack bars!

Apple/pear: I'd run with berries or something else lower in sugar to not spike your blood sugar, but that's just my low carb showing. :)

Dump the bread and make it a huge salad, more filling and better for you. You can even use the same toppings, but roasting and shredding your own turkey would be cheaper and healthier!

And like PayneTrayne said, if you can ditch the pasta you'll be better off as well.

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    mentok1982 wrote:
    I already eat pretty healthy since I make 90% of my own meals. I eat a yogurt, a Planters peanut bar, an apple or pear, and a lunchmeat sandwich with cheese, onions, tomato and lettuce for lunch during the work week. No more potato chips for this guy!

PayneTrayne & Chorazin have given you some great tips for weight loss but are you looking to bulk up muscle wise or just slim down? What you are eating will very a bit based on your goals.

• MintMint Registered User regular
    Ack! Christmas and the winter season have me full on winter weight!
    I am so on board with this to give me something to strive for and a deadline...

I am now trying to revamp my diet and stay away from the chippies, pop and candy :P
    I am going to try to swear them off :P

I am trying to get out and run more to get ready for the summer running season but its soo cold.!
    what i have been doing is getting on the treadmill at work and trying to make a game out of running 5km (3.1mile) and distracting myself with anime on my phone as I go...
    does anyone have one of those fitocracy invites??

edited January 2012
    Mint wrote:
    Ack! Christmas and the winter season have me full on winter weight!
    I am so on board with this to give me something to strive for and a deadline...

I am now trying to revamp my diet and stay away from the chippies, pop and candy :P
    I am going to try to swear them off :P

I am trying to get out and run more to get ready for the summer running season but its soo cold.!
    what i have been doing is getting on the treadmill at work and trying to make a game out of running 5km (3.1mile) and distracting myself with anime on my phone as I go...
    does anyone have one of those fitocracy invites??

The PAX East 2012 group:
    http://ftcy.co/vbq5sa

Welcome!

Dreamwish on
  • MintMint Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Dreamwish wrote:

The PAX East 2012 group:
    http://ftcy.co/vbq5sa

Welcome!

Thank You !

Mint on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Chorazin wrote:
    mentok1982 wrote:

Ditch the Planters bar, it's loaded with sugar. Plenty of better options out there for snack bars!

Apple/pear: I'd run with berries or something else lower in sugar to not spike your blood sugar, but that's just my low carb showing. :)

Dump the bread and make it a huge salad, more filling and better for you. You can even use the same toppings, but roasting and shredding your own turkey would be cheaper and healthier!

And like PayneTrayne said, if you can ditch the pasta you'll be better off as well.

I don't want to give up my sandwiches but what I will do is eat a salad instead of sandwich once to twice a week.
    I think that would be a good way to finish using the entire head of lettuce before it goes bad.

I will look at the cost of berries. I think it would take a lot of berries to fill in for an entire apple.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
    mentok1982 wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:
    mentok1982 wrote:

I don't want to give up my sandwiches but what I will do is eat a salad instead of sandwich once to twice a week.
    I think that would be a good way to finish using the entire head of lettuce before it goes bad.

I will look at the cost of berries. I think it would take a lot of berries to fill in for an entire apple.

I eat 5 heads of romaine lettuce a week, I have to get the big Costco pack of it since I eat so many salads! Lettuce never has a chance to go bad with me around. :P

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • KikiItemriKikiItemri MontrealRegistered User regular
    I am currently around 135lbs, and I want to try and lose 10-15lbs before the con. My problem is that I don't have any time to really go to a gym, and I have no idea what exercises I can do at home which would be good for targeting my tummy/abdomen and my thighs.

I know carbs are hell for weight gain, and I love them, so do you guys have any suggestions for hwo to satisfy my carb fix while eating better?

KikiItemri wrote:
    I am currently around 135lbs, and I want to try and lose 10-15lbs before the con. My problem is that I don't have any time to really go to a gym, and I have no idea what exercises I can do at home which would be good for targeting my tummy/abdomen and my thighs.

I know carbs are hell for weight gain, and I love them, so do you guys have any suggestions for hwo to satisfy my carb fix while eating better?

My two cents...

A handful of body weight ideas (Google will give you many more exercises specific to whatever equipment you may have):

Thighs: squats, lunges, 1-leg squats, wall sits, alternating 1-leg wall sits. Also taking stairs several steps at a time, as it works a larger range of motion for the hamstrings and butt than one step at a time.

Abs: Planks, bicycles, leg raises, side planks, knee-tucks. (Some say sit-ups and crunches aren't great for your back, so I didn't list them)

I'd also recommend running, rowing, or any sort of aerobic exercise you can do at home, around the neighborhood, or wherever. I'm not much of a diet expert, but in the end, the calories you spend working out needs to exceed what you eat if you want to lose fat. Carbs aren't inherently bad, but they will hurt if you don't burn them up.

KikiItemri wrote:

Check out the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. Great tips on eating and on what training you can do (all at home if you want) to target certain areas. Weight training is one of the only things that seems to remove the fat from around my mid-section. Back when I was skydiving I was training 3 times a week and I started to see improvement in the first few weeks unlike cardio that didn't do crap for me.

• vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    Glad to see everyone still motivated and going strong! Keep up the great work (and nicely done, Chorazin!)

Down 11 lbs in about 3 weeks. Still want to drop 19 more by PAX, and 20 more after that to get me where I want to be. Bulking up a bit too on the weights, so I know my weight loss won't be as quick as I'd like, but I think in the end it will work itself out.

Biggest step for me isn't the gym (I've been going for a year and a half), but the change in eating. I still eat pretty much what I want, but I count calories, and stick to my limits (about 2100 cals right now).

So yeah, on track, kicking ass, and thanking all of you for that extra motivation :)

I'm stuck in a place where some of my 3X shirts (especially my work polos) are looking waaaay too big on me, but I still havent lost enought to make any of the 2X shirts I bought look less like body condoms. :lol: Hopefully I'll be able to sport 2X stuff by PAX so I can just buy those sizes at the merch booth.

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • heelsheels Registered User regular
    I... bought a Fitbit. See, I'm helping.

I'll tweet my miles walked during PAX.

< devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
    heels wrote:

That's... a pretty awesome idea, if we could get a lot of people in on it. We could put on pedometers and track the combined distance traveled by fitness PAXers

heels wrote:

That's... a pretty awesome idea, if we could get a lot of people in on it. We could put on pedometers and track the combined distance traveled by fitness PAXers
    Pokewalkers anyone?

• nicholas_wrightnicholas_wright Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Apologies if these have already been posted, but here are some SFW links to sites with good bodyweight exercises. Some of the links below may contain people doing amazing things, and I pray you do not become discouraged. Everyone starts somewhere, and you may become inspired to train for something you never thought possible. I love incredible feats, because it makes me want to learn and achieve.

Nerd Fitness is a good blog by Steve Kamb with many resources. Friends of mine love this site, and it is a great starter. He's not a strength or conditioning coach, so the site is more about how to get started and stick with it, and doesn't have the higher level S&C theory you'll find on, say, I Am Unscared, Zone 5 Endurance, or Talk to Me Johnny.

American Parkour and Demon's Drills are good for finding scaled workouts and exercises for everyone, not just the traceur. A quick word on scaling - most exercises we know can be "scaled up" to make them harder, or "scaled down" to make them easier. There is a continuum of strength and flexibility that needs to be developed, usually through an entire life, so while it is easy to get discouraged, recall that these skills, like most things worth having, can take years of work. For some, it will take a year to get ONE pullup, but it's not impossible, just hard. You're in this for the long haul, buddy, and you know you're worth it. It would, and has, taken books to discuss all the scaled versions of exercises, so I am loathe to discuss it here, and would rather advise that if something is impossible for you at the moment, a google search will likely provide an alternative.

Gymnastics WOD is offered by Carl Paoli, a former Spanish gymnast who is also is the head coach of Naka Athletics. He offers daily bodyweight workouts in vein of gymnastics and acrobatics, and it is good to pair this with MWOD to improve your body mechanics (more this in a bit).

The Gymnastic Bodies Forum is pretty much my go-to resource when I'm not sure about a bodyweight skill. Run by a gymnastic coach, Chrisopher Sommer, who has written a pretty good book (Building the Gymnastic Body), it's a great resource with many, many helpful mods, including...

Ido Portal. He's a sick-nasty guru of strength and fitness. Start reading his blog, follow his advice, and learn.

Eat Move Improve is a good site with many, many resources. Steve Low is a frequent writer, and he has years of experience training the Gymkana troupe. He wrote a well-known article, The Fundamentals of Bodyweight Strength Training that eventually led to a book, Overcoming Gravity, that I just purchased and am enjoying immensely. It's a better book than Building the Gymnastic Body, more comprehensive, more scientific, more like a textbook. Here are the charts he's created to organize bodyweight exercises in a progression.

Beast Skills is a blog from Jim Bathurst, and he is quite strong. The site is organized into tutorials for bodyweight skills of the kind not often seen in the world. YOU WILL BE INSPIRED.

If you have a little bit of cash, a kettlebell is a good investment. A 1 pood/16kg/35lbs one is the usual starting weight. It's heavy at first, but you grow into it, which really is the point. Even if you're not that interested in developing strength, so much of life and fitness depends on being strong and having nice, strong ligaments and tendons, and so it should be a goal, even if not primary. I prefer competition-grade kettlebells, as it is what is current used in the sport of kettlebell, or girevoy. It is different from the current trend of Western-style kettlebells in that it has a square rather than angled hande, and all weights are a standard size - this is important for training. The competition kettlebells are expensive, but they're an investment. What is best for you might be what is cheapest, and the most important thing is that it is used and you are happy with it. Cheap kettlebells can be purchased just about anywhere these days, or you can make your own. I have heard there are kettlebells with rubberized handles, do not buy these. The kettlebell handle should be smooth, polished metal so it can slide in your grip.

Any of Pavel Tsatsouline's books or DVDs pair well with learning kettlebell exercises, but there are other online resources as well.

Lastly, self-care must be done. Everyone should be able to perform basic soft-tissue work (called self-myofascial release, active release therapy, osteopathic muscle manipulation, or deep tissue massage, depending on who you talk to) to stop pain and improve mobility (usually defined as flexibility + strength, or the ability to generate power through the entire range of motion of the joint).
    If you have any persistent body pains or tightness, you need to start doing MWOD.
    If you have ever moved, you need to start doing MWOD.
    If you want to prosper rather than just survive, you need to start doing MWOD.
    It's free!! Daily mobility workouts that require ten minutes or less from a physical therapist and genius named Kelly Starrett. Start at the very first video and just follow along.

EDIT - Forgot to post a link to Network Fitness. The site is organized better than MWOD, and sells mobility tools and books that teach self-care in a more organized fashion BUT don't miss out on KStar's brilliant and funny videos. You would be doing yourself a great disservice. They're different, but neither is better.

I hope this helps.

nicholas_wright on
  • henry.hargrovehenry.hargrove Registered User regular
    I saw some kids Parkour'n it up in Central Park. I envied their compact, unbreakable bodies. Course, if I was Ethan Hunt I could slam my face repeatedly into rigid metal structures and come a'ok.

I think the new work out I want to learn before PAX is breakdancing; used sparingly, it's useful everywhere.

Ok, so if you missed the announcement, Dick Talens, one of the founders of Fitocracy, posted in our group that it's starting to look like they (Fitocracy) will have a panel at PAX. If they do, I'd really really like to see some sort of congregation there to show just how much these guys are helping out

Ok, so if you missed the announcement, Dick Talens, one of the founders of Fitocracy, posted in our group that it's starting to look like they (Fitocracy) will have a panel at PAX. If they do, I'd really really like to see some sort of congregation there to show just how much these guys are helping out

Count me in! Getting my points in Fitocracy is what keeps me going to the gym.

Hopefully my schedule allows me to join in. Sounds like an interesting panel.

• vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular

Won't miss it.. unless I'm tasked elsewhere to provide coverage on something at that time.

• ArighArigh Registered User regular
    If the panel doesn't conflict with anything else that's also awesome, I'll be there.

Today I've got a phone interview that's marginally related to my lifestyle change. Might start bouncing at a local bar. Woo!

• Dgeorge318Dgeorge318 Registered User regular
    Alright, I've joined the fitocracy group here and on reddit. I've been working at getting fit for the last 6 months, I started on July 27th. I was always pretty comfortable with my weight, but inside I always had the goal of never hitting 300lbs. I was at 295lbs when I decided it was time to man up and follow through.

I pulled out the manual treadmill that I've had in my garage for 10 years... and would walk an hour while watching Netflix. I did that 3 days a week. Then I decided that wasn't enough and bought Your Shape: Fitness Evolved for Kinect and did that 3 days a week. Then after I decided that wasn't enough, I joined a gym. For the last 3 months, I've gone to the gym 3 days a week and hit the Kinect 3 days a week. Of course I've also changed my eating habits quite a bit, but as others have said, I don't see that as dieting. It's a lifestyle change.

I'm now down to 235lbs. I don't have an end goal in mind, I'm looking to keep losing until I stop losing, but ultimately I'm really just happy with being healthy. I can now run 1.5+ miles without stopping as well as being able to lift more weight than I ever had.

I haven't posted any pictures to Facebook or the like of my weight loss, I'm doing this for me. But I figure I can at least get a few high fives from here and be ready to rock out with you all at PAX.

• Dgeorge318Dgeorge318 Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    As for the Fitocracy panel, I'd attend it. I'm hoping they find a way to integrate the fitness video game items into their routines. Doesn't all have to be about the gym.

Dgeorge318 on
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    I'm doing a zero-glycemic diet. It works really well, and really fast (3-5 lbs per week for women, 5-7 for men) but it's low-carb, low-sugar and low-fat. It's almost impossible to eat out: no carrots, tomatoes, onions, salad dressings, fried food, fatty meats... the list goes on. If anyone else is doing something similar, here's what I've found works best for eating out.

1. Pho - order with double or triple meat, extra veggies and no noodles. Filling and tasty! And cheap!
    2. Steak (within reason)
    3. Sashimi

16 pounds down in 3 weeks. Fuck Yeah!

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.