As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[East] PAX East 2012 Costumes

• SvKSvK Registered User regular
    Tidus vs. Auron is an easy decision: are you closer to 15 or 50?

• KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Halo Magnum structure

I still have the fine tuning and painting to do. But it's coming along nicely.

KellyShepard087 on
    - Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • nollienollie Registered User regular
    bonestar wrote:
    I think I'm going to do my Consular or Marauder from SWTOR. :]
    Me and my bf are doing sith inquisitor / jedi knight respectively :) So excited! He already bought his Force Fx saber and i've got to say its pretty sweet

Pax East 2012 Omeganaut!
    Pax East '12 checklist: [x] 3 day pass, [x] hotel booked, [x] byoc seat registered, [ ] cookies baked, [ ] omegathon won.
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    So I was doing the math on my costume, but I think I may have done it wrong. It said the bottom area of the costume would cover over 6 square yards. That seems like a lot.

...CRAAAP! I've been doing the math wrong the whole time.

• hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    So I was doing the math on my costume, but I think I may have done it wrong. It said the bottom area of the costume would cover over 6 square yards. That seems like a lot.

What are you making? It probably is something to do with the pattern wanting in directional fabric and it might be too big in the first place. Tell me what it is and the pattern if you have, I will look it over and see what might be off.

Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ArcanicEightArcanicEight Registered User regular
    Alright, so this will be the third time I cosplay, but I am very much an amateur of the art.

So far, I have two costumes lined up:

1. Spy from TF2. This is pretty much finished. I had to cut a mouth hole for the mask and it still needs to be rounded a bit, looks too rough I think, but that's about all that needs doing. Might not even bother with a weapon, but if I must, I have a cap gun that looks like a revolver. Perhaps I can bring it if I remove the cylinder? Also has an orange tip but it's kind of bashed up. Still there, though. I'll post pictures soon for feedback if anyone is interested.

2. Steampunk. A friend of mine proposed the idea and I'm going along with it. Purchased various materials for assembling some sort of pistol. Got a coat. Looking for a Navy admiral's hat, goggles, other assorted things. Kind of going for an airship pilot look. Again, pictures shall be taken if there's any interest.

I MIGHT attempt to make an Ezio costume if I am feeling ambitious enough, but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe I'll simply pull out my Raccoon Police Department uniform again, I enjoyed that costume. :)

395721_3150795812266_1336249895_3300982_1091747828_n.jpg

Finished the painting on my Magnum last night. Now I have to tape the handle and it'll be done.
    Next up is the M-5 Phalanx from mass Effect. Good stuff.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • henry.hargrovehenry.hargrove Registered User regular
    Alright, so this will be the third time I cosplay, but I am very much an amateur of the art.

2. Steampunk. A friend of mine proposed the idea and I'm going along with it. Purchased various materials for assembling some sort of pistol. Got a coat. Looking for a Navy admiral's hat, goggles, other assorted things. Kind of going for an airship pilot look. Again, pictures shall be taken if there's any interest.

For the steampunk/skyrim people, this guy on Etsy makes some pretty sweet Rings. Actually, there are a lot of good ideas smattered all throughout etsy for the cosplay'n types.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/89454060/skyrim-inspired-brass-elven-flashlight?ref=sr_gallery_7&sref=&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=skyrim+ring&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=

• feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    hml151 wrote:

What are you making? It probably is something to do with the pattern wanting in directional fabric and it might be too big in the first place. Tell me what it is and the pattern if you have, I will look it over and see what might be off.

I'm doing the Yellow Angry Bird, and the basic shape of the costume is a cone. It's all basic geometry and stuff. what was happening was instead of dividing the square inches by 144 then 9, I was dividing by 12 then 3.

• KingPadsKingPads Registered User regular
    I'm making a set of glass armor from Skyrim, and will be wearing a DragonPriest mask. It's coming along very slowly.

• LinkSmashLinkSmash Registered User regular
    KingPads wrote:
    I'm making a set of glass armor from Skyrim, and will be wearing a DragonPriest mask. It's coming along very slowly.

Whoa. Wait. You going to actually use glass?!

• girlgamer88girlgamer88 Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I'm going as Marle from Chrono Trigger. I haven't made my crossbow yet and I have a question. I have a toy crossbow made out of plastic. I'm going to be making the stock of my prop weapon out of foam. My question is if I take the plastic bow from the toy crossbow and attach it to the foam stock, will I have problems with passing the prop inspection? I'm not going have any kind of trigger mechanism, but I was going to make it so that I could have the option of pulling the string back or not so it would look more realistic. I'm just having trouble with thinking of anything that would be as flexible as plastic without having to worry about it bending out of shape or breaking.

girlgamer88 on
    8BitBek

Future game art lady!
  • girlgamer88girlgamer88 Registered User regular
    I might also bring my pink power ranger costume with me, since I see there are other Power Rangers. :D

8BitBek

Future game art lady!
  • LinkSmashLinkSmash Registered User regular
    I'm going as Marle from Chrono Trigger. I haven't made my crossbow yet and I have a question. I have a toy crossbow made out of plastic. I'm going to be making the stock of my prop weapon out of foam. My question is if I take the plastic bow from the toy crossbow and attach it to the foam stock, will I have problems with passing the prop inspection? I'm not going have any kind of trigger mechanism, but I was going to make it so that I could have the option of pulling the string back or not so it would look more realistic. I'm just having trouble with thinking of anything that would be as flexible as plastic without having to worry about it bending out of shape or breaking.

I was under the impression that anything that could be swung/blunt object was banned. It almost feels as if nothing of that sort is allowed. So for those cosplaying as Cloud or Auron, does that mean no giant swords? :/

I think I remember seeing swords/bludgeon weapons at Prime. I think the regs are that it has to be lightweight enough so that you can't bludgeon someone to death with it.
    *shrugs* just my two cents.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • NewbieniceNewbienice Registered User new member
    edited January 2012
    I am in the process of making the Whiterun Guard from Skyrim. I just might not be able to do the helmet, I have never done anything like that (plus I wear glasses).

I have the armor done (with WIP images if you want to see them), though I might lengthen it a bit.
    ZmxZ4.png
    (Click for full size image)

I still need the cloth scarf-thing, boots, pants, and a shield. Those will be pretty easy in comparison. I just need to find some simple cheap boots to modify, a pair of pants that looks the part, and I will custom make the shield. Sword is already taken care of, I had a nice foam sword already.
    I was going to be Scout from TF2, with a Towering Pillar of Hats + Earbuds, but then this got in the way, hahaha.

Newbienice on
  • hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    hml151 wrote:

I'm doing the Yellow Angry Bird, and the basic shape of the costume is a cone. It's all basic geometry and stuff. what was happening was instead of dividing the square inches by 144 then 9, I was dividing by 12 then 3.

Ah, I understand. I had the same problem the first kilt I made from scratch. I figured I would offer help since most my costumes you can't get a pattern for and I have to make them from scratch. I can't wait to see the photos for it.

Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thr4sherthr4sher Registered User regular
    Ive never done cosplay before, but im tempted to go as The Dude this year. Comfortable for the whole weekend? Yes, thank you.

• XX55XXXX55XX Registered User regular
    Just a concern - Should I be worried about the swatstikas on my costume? Granted, it wouldn't be too difficult to substitute a WWII belt buckle for a Reichswehr or even an Imperial (WWI) one, but the WWII ones have swastikas on them. I can order a tunic without the breast eagle (they usually don't come with them anyways).

XX55XX wrote:
    Just a concern - Should I be worried about the swatstikas on my costume? Granted, it wouldn't be too difficult to substitute a WWII belt buckle for a Reichswehr or even an Imperial (WWI) one, but the WWII ones have swastikas on them. I can order a tunic without the breast eagle (they usually don't come with them anyways).

Mel Gibson cosplay?

thr4sher wrote:
    XX55XX wrote:

Mel Gibson cosplay?

Nah. Heer Private. Generic German soldier cosplay. The same sort of you dude you've seen in Medal of Honor or Call of Duty.

• KikiItemriKikiItemri MontrealRegistered User regular
    I'm hoping to bring two cosplays. I am hoping to put together a Catherine (succubus ver.) cosplay, and I am going to bring my Hatsune Miku cosplay as a back-up.

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    XX55XX wrote:

Yes. You should be concerned. Even without the swastikas, your costume is going to be in poor taste and will be poorly received. People are not going to think "hey he's dressed like one of those soldiers from Medal of Honor," they're going to think "hey that guy is a nazi."

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote:
    XX55XX wrote:

Yes. You should be concerned. Even without the swastikas, your costume is going to be in poor taste and will be poorly received. People are not going to think "hey he's dressed like one of those soldiers from Medal of Honor," they're going to think "hey that guy is a nazi."

This... so hard this...

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
    Yeah, my Mel Gibson joke aside, a nazi costume is in very poor taste.

I'll substitute for a Reichswehr belt and pass myself as a Reichswehr soldier. Unfortunately, the general uniform doesn't change much (damn history). For the most part, Reichswehr soldiers and Wehrmacht soldiers are generally indistinguishable, especially in photographs. Only difference being that there are no swastikas on Reichswehr soldiers.

• klokateer9047klokateer9047 A.K.A Captain Freezeezy Long island,NYRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    So me and my friends are actually thinking of doing a group costume this year. We will be dressing up as various characters from Punch Out!

We decided on this mostly because we all look eerily similar to the characters below. I'm a little worried punch out characters wouldn't be instantly recognizable though.
    1032967-doc_louis_super.jpg

1026516-punch_out_wii_wiki_prop_bear_hugger_01_super.png

littlemac-artwork-punch-out-wii-big.jpg

punchout-sb.jpg

klokateer9047 on
    Steam:Klokateer9047

Xbox live:Wonderboy9047

@Astonishingmike on twitter

STILL THE BEST 1973-FOREVER
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Even if not everyone gets the reference, the people who do will think your costumes are awesome. Not that the usual costume ideas aren't fun to see, too, but it's extra fun to see more original ideas like your group's.

• PraxisLokiPraxisLoki Registered User regular
    Word on the street is that a number of us might be doing just this. :D Now we just need some Deckers, Luchadores, and Morningstars.

Saints Row Cosplay. . . That gets the blood pumping. . . TO MY LOINS!

Now the next question. Which day?

After completing my prop pistols, I had loads of foam left over. So I decided to make the original Halo Assault Rifle and a couple of frag 'nades. The rifle is looking good. Still haven't gotten the 'nades yet. I need to pick up some more supplies and paint.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • VolaroVolaro The Iron Gentleman Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Wearing the same costume as last year, the male Pokemon trainer from Black / White:
    Cosplay.jpg
    as well as the Ouran Host Club uniform.

And I'd totally recognize the Punch Out guys, a group cosplay of that would pretty amazing!

Volaro on
  • General PengwinGeneral Pengwin The Last of a Dying Fanbase Long IslandRegistered User regular
    My body is so ready to go as Little Mac. Here lies the true question though... Should I wear a pink tracksuit, or the boxing outfit?

steam_sig.png
    Well, just ordered my Reichswehr belt buckle from the UK. Will be ordering the helmet, decals, and belt next week when I have more money. Then, I'll order the tunic and trousers. Last thing will be the jackboots.

• RegimentRegiment Registered User regular
    I couldn't find a decent Medic-style lab coat, so I bought a pattern and a lot of beige fabric. I'll be making a sort of hybrid chef's jacket/ trenchcoat.

The Medigun is in pieces, but I think I finally have almost all of them. I've also acquired a nice flashlight, so the gun will actually work (well, mostly - I don't think it will heal people, but it will light up, which is almost as good). And luckily, I'm in the convention hotel, so when I get sick of carrying the Medigun around, I can pretty easily drop it in the room and grab the Blutsauger (also in progress - in about 15 minutes I'm going to buy some silver paint for the empty bottle of iced tea lethal syringe canister).

And this year I'm not going to wear 5 layers! It's hot enough in the convention center!

I never lose, I just win sideways.
  • EmpharaEmphara Registered User regular
    Hi guys. I don't really have any experience with making costumes, so I was wondering if I could get a couple tips from you guys. I'm not trying to make a whole costume or anything, but I want to try to make the hat "Max's Severed Head" from Team Fortress 2. I kind of have an idea of how to make it, but my problem is that I want the ears to stand upright and not flop over, but I also want it to be wearable, so it couldn't be super top-heavy and fall off. I'm not sure if I'm getting myself way in over my head (since I have no experience), but I'd really like to try to make it and I figured I'd see if you guys had any tips on how to keep the ears upright but not too top-heavy. Thanks in advance for anyone with any tips or advice :) I can't wait to see all the cool costumes at PAX :)

signature.png
  • ArcanicEightArcanicEight Registered User regular
    My body is so ready to go as Little Mac. Here lies the true question though... Should I wear a pink tracksuit, or the boxing outfit?

BOTH. It's the only true option.

• Nicole452Nicole452 Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    KingPads wrote:

This is exciting! I hope to see a lot of awesome skyrim cosplay. If I had the skills I'd love to do the nightingale armor.

• Thin Red PasteThin Red Paste Way out in the sticks.Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I'm working on putting together a Warhammer 40k Commissar, based mostly on the nameless commissar miniatures, rather than any specific person. Hat insignia inspired by the one used for Colonel-Commissar Gaunt, though. Didn't put on my black leather gloves for this picture, but I have those too.
    commissarmkfatten.th.jpg
    I'm calling it Commissar MkFatten. Of note: That bolt pistol is a painted and gutted nerf recon. I took out the bits that make it shoot, so i can carry it at pax.

Thin Red Paste on
  • General PengwinGeneral Pengwin The Last of a Dying Fanbase Long IslandRegistered User regular
    Nicole452 wrote:
    KingPads wrote:

This is exciting! I hope to see a lot of awesome skyrim cosplay. If I had the skills I'd love to do the nightingale armor.

I hope the people who cosplay as guards just constantly go up to people and say random things (not the arrow in the knee bit, please God) such as "Keep your hands to yourself sneak thief!", "Awww, what's a matter, did somebody take your sweetroll?" and such, and try their hardest to avoid a normal conversation that doesn't involve direct quotes.

BOTH. It's the only true option.

That's what I was thinking. I figure I'll get the regular outfit (I can pretty much just buy them directly), and I'll wear that under the tracksuit which I will create using a white tracksuit, red clothes, and a washing machine (good luck finding a pink tracksuit for men), and depending on how I'm feeling temperature wise, I'll take the tracksuit on and off.

steam_sig.png
  • SvKSvK Registered User regular