As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Magic: the Gathering: Cardboard Crack

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    that cage is such a nice hoser, not just for graveyard shenanigans but also things like birthing pod.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I can see them all being good in limited

• Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    And suddenly I am glad that my built zombie deck is focused on zombie tokens, not on pulling stuff back out of my graveyard in zombie form.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I just finished the bare bones for my Doran, The Siege Tower Commander deck today.

*Goddamn* is it fun to play!

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    let's see I have about 12 decks made...

welp time to buy 60 cages

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote:
    Holy shit at Gravedigger's Cage.

Completely blanks dredge, reanimator, Natural Order, Tinker, Snapcaster Mage, Past in Flames, Green Sun's Zenith...

Is there any other hate card that kills so many strategies? I mean, damn, I can't believe they're printing that card.

Also tutorable with Enlightened Tutor and only costs one mana holy fuck...

And yet as a 1-mana artifact it's so easy to bust up.

• Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    So I sent a message to a few people yesterday, I'm dumping a lot of my cards again. I'll be selling them for cheap, but not sure cheap of course. Everything I've got is up here: http://deckbox.org/sets/72429. Likely I'll be willing to sell them as I did last time for slightly higher than SCG Buy list prices...I'm going through and trying to remove what I know I don't have/want to keep/etc, and trying to edit special versions, and this doesn't include my bulk rares, of which I have a ton.

So in a day or two, I'll be making it prettier, but feel free to drop me a PM with wishlist stuff, and I can pull it for you

• Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Man, I really can't wait to go to the pre-release and hopefully trade for 2x Mikaeus the Unhallowed and 4x Gravecrawlers, but their rarity means I'll probably have to buy them as singles afterwards. They're gonna be awesome in my all zombie creature deck!

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    no elspeth tirels? :(
    why is she so hard to find noone has any yet no decks use them, id expect that of garruk, gideon, liliana etc

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    That cage is the hatingest thing. Wow. 4x for any sideboard ever.
    As a sideboard card, totally broken. 1 mana? Artifact?

Wizards! You are destroying sideboard diversity!

Though actually, I can see it being good for Legacy, since we can't all run Force of Will.
    Putting 4 in my Affinity sideboard.

• Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    no elspeth tirels? :(
    why is she so hard to find noone has any yet no decks use them, id expect that of garruk, gideon, liliana etc

One word: Tokens.

By the way, I could totally seen an Elspeth/Chalice of Life-Death strategy. Make a bunch of guys, use the life gain ability, get the opponent to commit resources to fend off the tokens, then nuke them from orbit.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    Lucedes wrote:

Though actually, I can see it being good for Legacy, since we can't all run Force of Will.

What's it do? I can't see the pics here at work. :(

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Chorazin wrote:
    Lucedes wrote:

"Creatures can't enter the battlefield from graveyards or libraries.
    Players can't cast cards in graveyards or libraries."

EDIT: Forgot this hoses casting things from OTHER graveyards too, like with the new Lich thing.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Gods, Wizards just...really hates Birthing Pod, don't they? Fuckers.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    8a2aab476e5541e2a112b03d2e0973da.jpg

• Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    It's dredge they hate. iirc Rosewater said Dredge wasn't playing "real magic". Or someone high up at WotC

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    deveric wrote:
    It's dredge they hate. iirc Rosewater said Dredge wasn't playing "real magic". Or someone high up at WotC

It was Tom LaPille. Hardcore eternal players (The mtgsource and manadrain.com crowd) can't stand the guy, mostly for quotes like this:
    Legacy and Vintage contain several decks that "aren't Magic". How much of that is healthy? How good should those decks be? "aren't Magic" means that the game is about something unrecognizable, like dredge or storm or no one casting spells forever or something. My bar for "real Magic" is pretty low- both players playing lands and tapping them to cast spells for four or more turns is plenty.

He's moved on to he D&D team now, but I believe he was still on the design team for Dark Ascension.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Vyolynce wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:
    Lucedes wrote:

"Creatures can't enter the battlefield from graveyards or libraries.
    Players can't cast cards in graveyards or libraries."

EDIT: Forgot this hoses casting things from OTHER graveyards too, like with the new Lich thing.

Thanks man! Damn, that thing is CRAZY. It's like Wizards is giving Token decks a sensual BJ back behind the Olive Garden with this thing.

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Deadly Allure: meh at sorcery speed and no benefit to power. Should have been Virulent Swipe (+2/0 & deathtouch) with flashback instead of rebound.
    Predator Ooze: very nice.
    Hellrider: Not bad. I don't know if it will see a lot of play today, but it's a reasonable replacement for Hero of Oxid Ridge in RDW when Scars block rotates out.
    Feed the Pack: EDH card. That's not a bad thing.
    Warden of the Wall: Weird. Not sure what it's good for. 2/3 flying wall with a superfluous mana ability?
    Grafdiggers Cage: D: :!:

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I'm never going to remember the word "Skifsang." That card will always be "Chant of the Whatever" to me.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    So at least now the long-sought answer to "what is slightly more than four times worse than being hit by Sensory Deprivation" has been answered.

Here's an actual interesting question, though: Sensory Deprivation was usually good enough. I wonder what's lurking in this set (aside from Ghoultree) that justifies such a massive power nerfing?

EDIT: Also, I don't see the Cage as being a deliberate dredge hoser as much as it is a pre-existing silver bullet for flashback/undying/Unburial and other shenanigans in Standard. The fact that it also hampers dredge, reanimator, and other things is a bonus.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    seance works with the cage up.

yay seance.

go seance.

:(

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    PikaPuff wrote:
    seance works with the cage up.

As does Back from the Brink.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Vyolynce wrote:
    So at least now the long-sought answer to "what is slightly more than four times worse than being hit by Sensory Deprivation" has been answered.

Here's an actual interesting question, though: Sensory Deprivation was usually good enough. I wonder what's lurking in this set (aside from Ghoultree) that justifies such a massive power nerfing?

Maybe they just wanted to give each color a card that says "13" on it.

Edit: although I guess blue was already covered with Ludevic's Abomination.

Feral on

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    Vyolynce wrote:

Maybe they just wanted to give each color a card that says "13" on it.

Edit: although I guess blue was already covered with Ludevic's Abomination.
    Rosewater said in Innistrad previews that the number 13 would be a minor theme.

It's not like Into the Maw of Hell really needed to do exactly 13 for some reason.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Personally I like when sets all have a kind of card...

M12 had --- Mage and those "1 life for casting this color" artifacts
    It seems like DKA has "Increasing" so I'm wondering what the other three colors will do (white is 5 human tokens, double amount when flashback, blue is discard x top of library, double amount when flashback)

Oh, side note. My friend buys three packs and always gets mythics. He's now pulls 4 heros from besieged alone. 4 heroes. of oxid ridge. he's raging. All while I tell him to shut up because I buy 3 packs and get shit every time, he buys three packs and gets 2 mythics every time.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    PikaPuff wrote:
    Personally I like when sets all have a kind of card...

M12 had --- Mage and those "1 life for casting this color" artifacts
    It seems like DKA has "Increasing" so I'm wondering what the other three colors will do (white is 5 human tokens, double amount when flashback, blue is discard x top of library, double amount when flashback)

That's what we call a "cycle" (or "color cycle") and Wizards tries to put a few in every set.

• Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Vyolynce wrote:

EDIT: Also, I don't see the Cage as being a deliberate dredge hoser as much as it is a pre-existing silver bullet for flashback/undying/Unburial and other shenanigans in Standard. The fact that it also hampers dredge, reanimator, and other things is a bonus.

the unluckiness/horror tropiness of "13" has appeared a few times in the set, that's all. Well, that and test subject.

EDIT Beat'd by Zed, but also blasphemous act or whatever is a "13".

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    ph blake wrote:
    deveric wrote:

It was Tom LaPille. Hardcore eternal players (The mtgsource and manadrain.com crowd) can't stand the guy, mostly for quotes like this:
    Legacy and Vintage contain several decks that "aren't Magic". How much of that is healthy? How good should those decks be? "aren't Magic" means that the game is about something unrecognizable, like dredge or storm or no one casting spells forever or something. My bar for "real Magic" is pretty low- both players playing lands and tapping them to cast spells for four or more turns is plenty.

He's moved on to he D&D team now, but I believe he was still on the design team for Dark Ascension.

He was Lead Developer for Dark Ascension, so I'd guess there's a good chance Grafdigger's Cage came from him. Or at least it's his responsibility that it came out at 1cc.

I will say that I think there's some merit to the suggestion that Dredge reallllllly perverts the gameplay of Magic to something unrecognizable and often hits the subjective high-note of "unfun". I don't believe it's played much outside of Vintage, where I think it still does well, but the fact that it enabled a so-called "landless" deck is beyond weird.

• Options
    Feral wrote:
    That's what we call a "cycle" (or "color cycle") and Wizards tries to put a few in every set.
    If there a term for the swords in mirrodin? That's a cool thing, too.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    well it isn't so much the dredge cards that makes landless-dredge work, it's the flashback cards with non-mana costs and led. fast mana and alternate costs almost always lead to crazy combo decks in vintage/legacy. and those decks tend to get beaten by a single fow. vintage is just such a weird format that it shouldn't effect what gets printed now.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Foomy wrote:
    vintage is just such a weird format that it shouldn't effect what gets printed now.

Obviously I have no idea how much Legacy/Vintage played into the design of the card, but it could be used as a tool to evaluate whether they can unban Dread Return and Golgari Grave-Troll from Modern, which they certainly seem intent on making into a popular format.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Feral wrote:
    If there a term for the swords in mirrodin? That's a cool thing, too.

Also a Cycle.

Just one that took nearly 8 years to complete.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    metaghost wrote:
    Foomy wrote:
    vintage is just such a weird format that it shouldn't effect what gets printed now.

Obviously I have no idea how much Legacy/Vintage played into the design of the card, but it could be used as a tool to evaluate whether they can unban Dread Return and Golgari Grave-Troll from Modern, which they certainly seem intent on making into a popular format.

If they didn't want it played in eternal formats, they wouldn't have set the mana cost to 1.

Feral on

• Options
    Oddly enough, the Cage doesn't stop me from using Sun Titan to bring back Liliana of the Veil. :rotate:

(But it does stop me from using Unburial Rites to get Sun Titan two turns early. :( )

• Options
    Hell, I'm surprised it even has a mana cost. I thought eternal was "cost 0 or gtfo".

I kid.

Sort of.

"Cannot be countered, you may begin with ~ in play if it's in your opening hand" would've indicated that WOTC was purely trolling people.

• Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    So Leyline of the Void was trolling? :?

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    blahmcblah wrote:

No, if Grafdigger's Cage was like a Leyline it would have been trolling, I think he means.

• Options
    blahmcblah wrote:

No, if Grafdigger's Cage was like a Leyline it would have been trolling, I think he means.

Exactly.

I'm not saying that ability makes a troll card. I'm saying that a card of that power with that ability tacked on might as well have included trollface.jpg somewhere in the art. It would've been hilarious.

• Options
    Forar wrote:
    blahmcblah wrote:

Exactly.

I'm not saying that ability makes a troll card. I'm saying that a card of that power with that ability tacked on might as well have included trollface.jpg somewhere in the art. It would've been hilarious.

Mental Misstep was a troll card.