As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA Q&A about SUPER SECRETS AND LUMINOUS EVENTS OPEN FOR BUSINESS

12346»

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Come to think of it, has anybody ever actually seen Ben and Tube in the same place at the same time?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    So, you'll be channeling the original Next Generation? Or will you be getting all Kill Screen hipster on the meta of the gaming industry? Either way, sounds good.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    In terms of my communication with the readers in the other thread, I don't suffer fools gladly. Never have, and I'm not going to start. If you want to have a discussion I'm always game, but I don't have a lot of patience for hostility or idiocy.

hugging you

The comments threads on Ars with people blowing up and throwing fits while Ben just smacks them down? My favorite part of the site.

Welcome, Ben! I've been reading Ars since '99 and enjoying your work ever since you joined on. Really looking forward to what you can bring to PA.

One of the seemingly repeated reasons you keep giving about why you're making the move is the creative freedom. Did you ever have an issue at Ars where you had to sort of keep yourself in check? An article you were writing that you were told to hold back on, or even to not publish at all?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    iamnodeiamnode Registered User new member
    What other game journalism is out there that you actively follow? Any specific writers or websites?

• Options
    Ben KucheraBen Kuchera Registered User staff
    schuss wrote:
    So, you'll be channeling the original Next Generation? Or will you be getting all Kill Screen hipster on the meta of the gaming industry? Either way, sounds good.

Next Generation is the magazine that made me want to do this job. Let's hope I can get close.

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote:
    In terms of my communication with the readers in the other thread, I don't suffer fools gladly. Never have, and I'm not going to start. If you want to have a discussion I'm always game, but I don't have a lot of patience for hostility or idiocy.

hugging you

The comments threads on Ars with people blowing up and throwing fits while Ben just smacks them down? My favorite part of the site.

Welcome, Ben! I've been reading Ars since '99 and enjoying your work ever since you joined on. Really looking forward to what you can bring to PA.

One of the seemingly repeated reasons you keep giving about why you're making the move is the creative freedom. Did you ever have an issue at Ars where you had to sort of keep yourself in check? An article you were writing that you were told to hold back on, or even to not publish at all?

What Ars did, to their eternal credit, was to make sure the argument was worth making when I wanted to really go aggro on a game or publisher. Did I have a legitimate beef? Did I make my point well? Was it a fight worth picking? They never told me to hold back, but there were times in developing a story where I realized it wasn't worth the hassle to really go after someone, or I realized I didn't have enough information or reason to do so. They kept me honest, and taught me to pick my fights, which is a wonderful lesson.

I would never go to a site that didn't offer me the same freedom to say what was in my heart or to pick fights when they need to be picked, and Penny Arcade is a great home for the no-bullshit approach.

• Options
    iamnode wrote:
    What other game journalism is out there that you actively follow? Any specific writers or websites?

I think you should judge websites by their worst stories, not their best, and I think almost every blog out there would be great if there was an editor telling the writers to stop writing shit. If you had the power to erase 10 crappy stories from every blog in this business you'd see some amazing writing.

There are plenty of great writers out there-- Kirk Hamilton, Leigh Alexander, Gus Mustrapa are three that pop into my mind-- but the problem is they get buried under all the shit. I'm not going to name names (Kotaku) but it seems like the bigger game sites have a Catholic attitude: if they publish one good story they think it gives them the right to publish something that's just a giant facepalm. It's an attitude that drives me crazy.

• Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    Have you been following Patrick Klepek's work on Giant Bomb for the few months? He has been doing fantastic stuff.

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Rent wrote:
    What's the in your opinion best video game story of all time, gameplay nonwithstanding

Man, Alan Wake is up there.

Missed this yesterday, but this answer right here guarantees I will read everything you write for PA.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Have you been following Patrick Klepek's work on Giant Bomb for the few months? He has been doing fantastic stuff.

Man, that guy is not afraid to wade in there and come up with good, primary reporting. I think he's kicking ass.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Welcome to the forums!

I'll second the earlier requestion about children's gaming... I find the rating system hopeless and my kids are all right on the age / maturity cusp where some M games are OK, some T games are not, and no one seems to be doing any sort of kid-oriented reviewing outside the fundamentalist enclaves.

• Options
    spool32 wrote:
    Welcome to the forums!

I'll second the earlier requestion about children's gaming... I find the rating system hopeless and my kids are all right on the age / maturity cusp where some M games are OK, some T games are not, and no one seems to be doing any sort of kid-oriented reviewing outside the fundamentalist enclaves.

It's a tricky thing, and I'm not sure how much of a market something like that has. I'm definitely going to be doing stories about children and gaming, just because I have three kids and it's always close to my mind, but the majority of the stories are going to be aimed at a more adult audience.

• Options
    MitsuragaMitsuraga Registered User new member
    How excited are you excited for Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown to arrive in the US this Summer?

Asobouka.
  • Options
    Mitsuraga wrote:
    How excited are you excited for Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown to arrive in the US this Summer?

Trick question: everyone knows Soul Calibur is the best fighting game franchise.

• Options
    GendouGendou Tea Ninja Registered User regular
    Trick question: everyone knows Soul Calibur is the best fighting game franchise.
    Best 3D franchise, maybe. What is your favorite 2D franchise?

• Options
    Gendou wrote:
    Best 3D franchise, maybe. What is your favorite 2D franchise?

For fighting games? Street Fighter. I know it's obvious, but it's still my favorite.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Hey Ben, welcome to the site.

I don't read a ton of game-centric journalism lately, but I circled back to Ars Technica's backlog and looked up some of your writing. Looking forward to your work here.

I noticed an old tweet of yours lightly criticizing the esports scene; I'm curious how much you watch competitive games, if you have favorite players or teams, and if you have any plans to cover events like Evo, MLG, GSL, etc.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    kedinik wrote:
    Hey Ben, welcome to the site.

I don't read a ton of game-centric journalism lately, but I circled back to Ars Technica's backlog and looked up some of your writing. Looking forward to your work here.

I noticed an old tweet of yours lightly criticizing the esports scene; I'm curious how much you watch competitive games, if you have favorite players or teams, and if you have any plans to cover events like Evo, MLG, GSL, etc.

I don't know a ton about esports, but I find the topic fascinating. I would love to cover one of the events and really get into the thick of it.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I mostly frequent the SC2 thread these days, so I'm glad to hear it. <3.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Ben are you ever going to change your handle back to Stasis7? We used to discuss in GESC back when you called yourself that still.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    Ben, I'm happy you've upgraded your career. I've always enjoyed your articles but never added to the commentary @ ARS. Good luck.

• Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    Ben, I did a search on Ars as I was rather unaware of ars, your body of work and your introduction was rather nonexistent.

Hoping that I'm in the minority, having now read a few of your articles and the one linked in this thread, the question that I'd like to ask you is: Was there ever a particular article that you put together, posted and got an immediate feeling of satisfaction to the tune of "Blue blazes I'M AWESOME"? As a follow up, what article would you have liked to revisit or tweak?

PS: Now that I've read a bit of your work, I'm rather confident that you'll be able to add another layer of awesome to PA.

• Options
    harvest wrote:
    Ben are you ever going to change your handle back to Stasis7? We used to discuss in GESC back when you called yourself that still.

Nah, I'm pretty comfortable with my real name these days.

• Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    You should definitely get your avatar situated ASAP. It's how we mark each other around here. It'll be your scent.

Once you're in the pack, you can never go back.

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    V Faction wrote:
    You should definitely get your avatar situated ASAP. It's how we mark each other around here. It'll be your scent.

Once you're in the pack, you can never go back.

Don't worry, we don't do butt sniffing around here. Much.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Two points:

hugging you

@Ben Kuchera 4 SE++ mod.

and...
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I just caught up on your answers, Ben.

Big dreamcast fan? Were gonna get along juuust fine.

Bother EVERYONE for a new Cannon Spike, Power Stone and see what you can do about another Blue Stinger.

Again, welcome!

I ask you to disregard this Mr Kuchera.

Please utilise whatever industry influence you may have into expediting the release of Resident Evil 6.

Thank you for your time, and your good graces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS_bGpe9qE8

A little respect towards Mr Kuchera will got you far, ladies and gents.

I choose to believe all progress so far on RE6 is entirely due to Ben's coercion!

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Two points:

hugging you

@Ben Kuchera 4 SE++ mod.

and...
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I just caught up on your answers, Ben.

Big dreamcast fan? Were gonna get along juuust fine.

Bother EVERYONE for a new Cannon Spike, Power Stone and see what you can do about another Blue Stinger.

Again, welcome!

I ask you to disregard this Mr Kuchera.

Please utilise whatever industry influence you may have into expediting the release of Resident Evil 6.

Thank you for your time, and your good graces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS_bGpe9qE8

A little respect towards Mr Kuchera will got you far, ladies and gents.

I choose to believe all progress so far on RE6 is entirely due to Ben's coercion!

Wow! How did Sawyer get off the island?!

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos