As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA Comic: Wednesday, Jan. 18, 2012 - Anticipation

RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazedby the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
edited January 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
i-hjT8qXF-XL.jpg

8406wWN.png
Rankenphile on

• Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    Hah!

• InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    Could we get a larger image of Tychos horror?

3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited January 2012

Oh God, I didn't even see Tycho at first read, I thought it was just showing the car of some random guy Gabe is playing with sinking.

What do you want to bet Tycho ran his car into the frozen lake because he was trying to put in his Hero Academy turn? Distracted driving: it kills, people.

Gaslight on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    I heard it was snowy up there, but are lakes freezing over?

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I have four games active right now, each one is <2 turns in, and each one is pending my opponent's action.

This comic strikes close to home.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote:

Not frozen enough to carry the weight of a car, obviously

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • TravanTravan Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote:

Oh God, I didn't even see Tycho at first read, I thought it was just showing the car of some random guy Gabe is playing with sinking.

What do you want to bet Tycho ran his car into the frozen lake because he was trying to put in his Hero Academy turn? Distracted driving: it kills, people.

Fourth Panel, all black with white text: YOUR NEXT TEXT COULD BE YOUR LAST.

Gamertag- Travan7838

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I adore this third panel.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's a work of art.

I'm currently maintaining 5 games, 4 with PA'ers. I have yet to finish a game, though. Are turns limited by the number of "items" remaining, or does one team have to totally destroy the opponent's crystals?

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Anyone else find it interesting that PA didn't join in the SOPA black out?

What is this I don't even.
    For a moment I worried that they would, but what they came up with instead is far more entertaining.

Darkewolfe wrote:
    Anyone else find it interesting that PA didn't join in the SOPA black out?

Yeah, mainly because it seems like they're so much more likely than most to use copyrighted characters. I'm not saying 'they should have', I'm just surprised it hasn't come up.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    The comic isn't the landing page, though - the Newspost is. Maybe when that is updated?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • CururuCururu Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    They have a link up on the main page about it (goes to http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/stand-together-the-gaming-community-vs-sopa-and-pipa), but I assume they will bring it up in the blog post as well.

Also, love panel 3. I'm hoping for a zoomed in view of it.

Cururu on
  • UnderwhelmingUnderwhelming myMomIsTheJam July 13, 2013 Registered User regular
    Look at that son of a bitch just sitting in his sinking car like an asshole...screaming. Instead of screaming, he could totally be taking his turn right now.

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Does the the chair conform to Gabe...or does the Gabe conform to the chair?

• IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    Syphyre wrote:
    Does the the chair conform to Gabe...or does the Gabe conform to the chair?

Both

• jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    Did someone say SOPAPILLA? Oh... SOPA and PIPA. That sounds less delicious.

• SlurmeeSlurmee AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I didn't notice Tycho in the car at first :P

steam_sig.png
  • The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    That is an incredible third panel.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • ScottyScotty Registered User regular
  • BrewBrew Registered User regular
    That car looks pretty old. Early 90s at best.

1st ever "Penny-Arcade Hero Academy Tournament" Toilet Bowl Champion!
    steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Looks like Tycho shouldn't have spent the winter in Lakeside, WI shooting the shit with Hinzelmann.

• ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    YAY! THOMAS KEMPER!

EyQGd.jpg

It really should be a poster or book cover.

EyQGd.jpg
  • AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    That is an incredible third panel.

That was the second thing I noticed. I wonder if he painted it, or if he used some stock reference, or what have ye.

And the sad truth is that his vehicular trouble is probably having almost no effect on his turn. That's just how long Tycho takes.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote:

the days of lakes south of the Arctic Circle freezing thick enough to support even a person are behind us, I think

Maybe that's where Tycho's car is. North of the Arctic Circle.

• KnaraKnara Registered User regular
    Margarazzi wrote:
    YAY! THOMAS KEMPER!

Yep. Any comic with Thomas is just fine by me.

• KnaraKnara Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote:

the days of lakes south of the Arctic Circle freezing thick enough to support even a person are behind us, I think

Nah, Upper-Midwest US you can still drive out and ice fish or put out your ice house, and that's nowhere near the Arctic Circle.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    This comic is soooooo good. PA is on a roll these last few weeks.

Tycho sums up SOPA neatly - a "shoot first, ask questions later" approach to copyright protection. Maybe that's not accurately what the bill does, but it is what it allows, and we know from past behavior that's how rights holders will use it.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    KalTorak wrote:
    Looks like Tycho shouldn't have spent the winter in Lakeside, WI shooting the shit with Hinzelmann.
    I love this reference.

I like the comic, though I'm surprised they didn't do a comic related to the SOPA/PIPA protests. It seems like something that'd be right in their sights.

see317 on
    edited January 2012
    SabreMau on
    see317 wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote:
    I love this reference.

I like the comic, though I'm surprised they didn't do a comic related to the SOPA/PIPA protests. It seems like something that'd be right in their sights.

Looks like Tycho will be blacking out.

EyQGd.jpg
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Quick. Someone check the trunk.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Delzhand wrote:
    Tycho sums up SOPA neatly - a "shoot first, ask questions later" approach to copyright protection. Maybe that's not accurately what the bill does, but it is what it allows, and we know from past behavior that's how rights holders will use it.

Exactly. As the DMCA demonstrates, anything that can be abused without oversight and repercussions will be.

theantipop on
  • DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
  • Northman88Northman88 Registered User regular
    I love the game as well, haven't been steered wrong yet by a game recommendation from PA.

I'm just hoping they institute some sort of stats system.

• BrewBrew Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I got the game 2 days ago and managed to get through one full match so far. love it though. bought the dark elves to support the developers and get rid of the ads.
    Hope they work on optimizing it a bit as far as the communications go. I got 2 strange instances so far of the game either not recognizing that I took a turn or not telling me that someone took a turn.
    so far it's genius.

Brew on
    1st ever "Penny-Arcade Hero Academy Tournament" Toilet Bowl Champion!
    steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."