As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[League of Legends] Super drunk new thread!

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Arch wrote:
    I can't wait to try out Ionic Spark on a few new guys

Maybe on Kog'Maw or Graves

Maybe even do a wukong attack speed build with it

kennen. do it on kennen and get all the lightning.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    Carnarvon wrote:
    Joe K wrote:
    Carnarvon wrote:
    Talith wrote:
    I've done level one buff donations before to interesting results.

I was jungle shy one game when our ezreal sona lane was up against graves soraka before nerfs. So I have him and Sona just dps through mini with me, sharing xp and then I donate ez red buff at level 1 which got him to level 2 with red buff.

He won his lane HARD.

First game I did Jungle Mundo, I gave Shaco literally all of my blues. It meant I had to wait for two more clears to get to level 4 (maybe 30-40 seconds), but he was just decimating TF all game. He ended up 10/2/x and I was 5/1/5; I think it worked out pretty great.

Then again, Mundo is really fast at clearing once he hits 3 and CDR is probably the biggest wasted stat on him outside of mana.

the wha? CDR is kinda important on the big blue guy. get that ult up every 30ish seconds is awfully nice, not to mention, more cleavers.

and... i love the buffs on Mundo. hopefully make him much more viable. his health cost reduction on his W makes it worthwhile to get earlyish now. Plus teh cooldown reduction on his ult.

Mundo might be back. It's cleaving time.

His Q's cooldown is 4 seconds and the slow lasts for 2, so as long as you can keep landing cleavers, you don't have to worry about being kited. CDR definitely doesn't hurt here, but not imperative by any means, and I think straight up ability power would be more useful for overall deeps. His W is a toggle, so CDR is worthless. His E only has a 2 second downtime, and if you time your cleavers right, you can pretty much ignore that. His R has a super low cooldown already, and isn't what you'd call a game winner like Malphite's, Maokai's, Sejuani's, or Nasus' ult.

I'd say something like Tanky Stats=AS>MS>Penetration>AD>CDR>AP>Mana for Mundo.

Also, Ionic Spark is looking pretty sweet for Mundo.

ionic spark is looking pretty good for every that AA's....

When I'm Mundo'ing, its lots of Health, lots of Health Regen, some sort of armor/mres, then an offensive item or two.

• TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Trus wrote:
    Never play normal draft

Well I'm not 30 so that leaves blind pick which sucks IMO. Once I tasted draft mode I haven't gone back.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Tommatt wrote:
    Trus wrote:
    Never play normal draft

Well I'm not 30 so that leaves blind pick which sucks IMO. Once I tasted draft mode I haven't gone back.

Don't go into ranked right at popping 30, you won't be ready for it. And really, there is no reason to play blind pick over normal draft other than 1. time is an issue and you don't want to deal with the 10 minute pick and ban malarkey, or 2. You have a champ you want to play and don't give a shit about team comp, coming up against stacked super teams, or dealing with boring mirror matches.

Or you want to play one of the perennially banned champs like Shaco, Rammus, or Akali.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote:
    Arch wrote:
    I can't wait to try out Ionic Spark on a few new guys

Maybe on Kog'Maw or Graves

Maybe even do a wukong attack speed build with it

kennen. do it on kennen and get all the lightning.

I have been meaning to try out Kennen....

• LefLef Registered User regular
    After months of always being last pick in normal drafts, I contact Riot asking what gives. (Btw, this isn't me just feeling like I'm last pick all the time, I've been keeping track)
    I get this reply,

Hey Leffreyowens,

The drafting process for normals is actually not randomized; it works off a 'normal' elo system assigning from highest to lowest ELO. I find this weird as you are not very low rated for these normal games and maybe just hit a string of unlucky matchmaking groupings.I apologize that this has happened and hopefully you get priority pick in your upcoming games. Please let me know if there is anything else that I may be able to assist you with.

__

JHa
    Riot Games Player Support

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• SampsenSampsen Aggressive Berserker Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Lef wrote:
    After months of always being last pick in normal drafts, I contact Riot asking what gives. (Btw, this isn't me just feeling like I'm last pick all the time, I've been keeping track)
    I get this reply,

Hey Leffreyowens,

The drafting process for normals is actually not randomized; it works off a 'normal' elo system assigning from highest to lowest ELO. I find this weird as you are not very low rated for these normal games and maybe just hit a string of unlucky matchmaking groupings.I apologize that this has happened and hopefully you get priority pick in your upcoming games. Please let me know if there is anything else that I may be able to assist you with.

__

JHa
    Riot Games Player Support

No, that's just wrong. I queue with friends all the time and it is completely random. The only time it stays the same is if there is a dodger on the other team, then we queue in the same order again(this is with any number of friends/pubs). The only thing that isn't random is that premades always end up at the top of the queue. If you solo queue, you are pretty much guaranteed one of the bottom 2 spots, and often the very bottom.

Sampsen on
    Sampsen_na_104_5_logo.png
  • PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Arivia wrote:
    Cutfang wrote:
    I agree with Talith here. Blue on Xerath means he will have a really easy time getting creep kills and harassing his opponent. It is kind of a huge deal for him and most casters.

It is, but not at the cost of your jungler/especially Riven if she needs it. Let alone stealing it at the last moment.

I'm not going to rage quit over it, but let's just say that the first time in a game that someone steals a buff is going to be the last time I don't smite secure buffs against my own team, which is terrible.

Really though, the jungler should be in charge of buffs / dragon / Baron. When blue is up and I don't need it, I check mid's situation / mini map, and then ask them to come over to receive it. It's a similar principal to you being responsible for calling MIAs for your own lane, as while ideally everyone should try to know and communicate all relevant information at all times, everyone has an area that is their primary responsibility, which allows other people to concentrate on their primary responsibilities.

@programjunkie I still think you're too stingy with the blue buff. I know we've talked about this before, but AP Sion mid needs blue over Udyr. That's just a fact. You gimp your mid carry when his opponent has blue and he doesn't.
    Tommatt wrote:
    Torgairon wrote:
    Spectrum wrote:
    Torgairon wrote:
    normal draft pick order is elo-based, right? I guess I suck even harder than I thought because I've been 2nd last to last all day long.

can't...stand...more janna games...
    No, it's based on teams and random within them.

I'm really not sure if that makes me feel better or worse. thanks though

edit: dead last, again. I NEED SOMETHING TO BLAME FOR MY AGONY

Yeah I'm lvl 28 and something like 140 wins, 128 losses, and I'm always last/next to last.

I should actually track this sometime.

Normal draft

I tracked this over 81 normal solo draft games. I can tell you unequivocally that MM priortizes premades over solo queues in normal draft. In those 81 games, I think I have been first pick about 5 times and 4th or 5th pick over 80% of the time.
    Talith wrote:
    I want to see some high level Chinese games because apparently Ezreal is their top pick and ban as their games end in about 20-25 minutes on average.

That sounds exactly like the type of games I want to play.

Played against a bottom Ezreal that was given blue buff at level one. He dominated the lane all game.

Also, regarding Ionic spark, I think I'm going to work it into my lanewick build. Doran's ring, boots, glacial shroud, wits end, spark, frozen heart, ++ flex

Pacificstar on
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Trus is just upset that he can't troll draft games in quite the same way

• CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    mundogankswhohepleases.jpg

IT JUST TAKES A MINUTE
    AND YOU'LL FEEL NO PAIN
    GOTTA MAKE SOMETHING OF YOUR LIFE, BOY
    GIVE ME ONE MORE VEIN
    YOU'VE COME TO SEE THE DOCTOR
    AND I'LL SHOW YOU THE CURE
    I'M GONNA TAKE AWAY THE QUESTIONS
    YEAH I'M GONNA MAKE YOU SURE

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I am always really happy when my jungler will call me over (I tend to play Mid AP carries) and hand me blue buff, or when I can convince someone to help me get it in a moment of downtime

I am also happier when my opponent gets this advantage and I kill them anyway and take their buff for myself

• interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    doctor doctor
    gimme the news, i gotta
    bad caaaase of cleavin' you

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Sampsen wrote:
    No, that's just wrong. I queue with friends all the time and it is completely random. The only time it stays the same is if there is a dodger on the other team, then we queue in the same order again(this is with any number of friends/pubs). The only thing that isn't random is that premades always end up at the top of the queue. If you solo queue, you are pretty much guaranteed one of the bottom 2 spots, and often the very bottom.

If you queue with friends all the time your ELO is going to be pretty similar since the games you win they win and the games they lose you lose. If you queued with the same people all the time, the matchmaking would appear completely random.

Similarly if the system is giving +ELO to people who queue together then the system makes sense as explained. They have a higher ELO as matched and so pick first.

Note that if the game is grouping people of similar ELO the placing process, even if it ranks by ELO should look random to everyone, so long as there is a sufficient pool of players to play with. It would only be if your ELO rose high enough or low enough that there were likely to be wide variations in the ELO of your team (like, a few hundred points) that you would expect consistent last or first pick since there would be many more prospective players on either side of the distribution from you. (technically this should happen at any ELO except 1200, but i doubt that the variation would be enough to detect it unless you were below 800 or above 1600)

wbBv3fj.png
    Arch wrote:
    I am always really happy when my jungler will call me over (I tend to play Mid AP carries) and hand me blue buff, or when I can convince someone to help me get it in a moment of downtime

I am also happier when my opponent gets this advantage and I kill them anyway and take their buff for myself

Getting double buffs by killing the jungler when they come to gank is one of the best feelings in this game. Doublebuff AD carry bottom? Yeah, you don't get to be anywhere near this lane for 2:30(is that right?).

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Have had a good run with Kayle today, went 3-1 so far. Can't decide between going AS/AP/On Hit or more of a AD route, though, since they both work.

And god damn the Q can hit for a lot. I think it has a 1.0 ratio on AP and AD, doesn't it.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    Goumindong wrote:
    If you queue with friends all the time your ELO is going to be pretty similar since the games you win they win and the games they lose you lose. If you queued with the same people all the time, the matchmaking would appear completely random.

Similarly if the system is giving +ELO to people who queue together then the system makes sense as explained. They have a higher ELO as matched and so pick first.

Note that if the game is grouping people of similar ELO the placing process, even if it ranks by ELO should look random to everyone, so long as there is a sufficient pool of players to play with. It would only be if your ELO rose high enough or low enough that there were likely to be wide variations in the ELO of your team (like, a few hundred points) that you would expect consistent last or first pick since there would be many more prospective players on either side of the distribution from you. (technically this should happen at any ELO except 1200, but i doubt that the variation would be enough to detect it unless you were below 800 or above 1600)

If this were true, we would queue the next game after a win or loss in the same order. I often go from first to last pick, or anywhere in between. Drokmir is a much more consistent, better player than I am, with a much better w/l ratio in normals than me, yet it's random if I end up higher or lower than him.

edited January 2012
    Around level 7 I walked up to Karthus (who was level 9) at his tower and just AA'd him to death.

Like, I had 70% health and he had 60%. He landed a gate before I managed to reach him, and he hit me with all of his skittles as he ran behind my tower. I popped all my cooldowns (save for my ult) and annihilated him, left with 40% health, and then he ulted me. I went down to 10%, popped my ult, double killed bot, and took the tower.

When they respawned, they all went mid. Ashe missed her ult, but I still managed to take a poorly positioned Sejuani out while they hid at their tower. At this point, Mundo spoke to me.

"Where should I go, Mundo? Split push? Farm my jungle? Steal their buffs?"

No, he said. "MUNDO GOES WHERE HE PLEASES"

And then I tower-dived four people and came out with four assists.

@PMAvers: Yep, double 1.0 coefficients on AP and AD, making Rageblade one of the most cost effective items for her. Also, Triforce is pretty godly with Kayle.

Carnarvon on
  • FlipprDolphinFlipprDolphin Registered User regular
    SO i am thinking of asking Riot for a SKIN-SWITCH

The ravager Nocturne skin does not give me any graphical animation when I use his fear (as in i do not see his leash being casted).

I think that is a good case for asking for a different Nocturne skin than the one I bought.

It makes the skin non-usable.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    it's funny how the new jungle was supposed to make more champions able to do it and in the end it made jungling completely dependent on having strong aoe and shut out a bunch of former junglers.

if I played sr anymore I would say the new jungle has made the game universally worse unless you main skarner or something

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    the reason you often get last pick is because if there's a 4-man queued up, you get placed last.

• RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    Uuuugh.... just had a game... one early DC so we loose bottom... we stabilize cause they have no tanks and we can just force fights on towers. Two more players DC for the rest of the game. Horrible horrible failure.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    GP and Trundle have no AoE and they still can jungle.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Trundle is still one of the fastest junglers.

I think Olaf might still be the fastest.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Jars wrote:
    it's funny how the new jungle was supposed to make more champions able to do it and in the end it made jungling completely dependent on having strong aoe and shut out a bunch of former junglers.

if I played sr anymore I would say the new jungle has made the game universally worse unless you main skarner or something

i think the new jungle is amazing. you don't need incredibly specific runes that are catered to your first few minutes in game now.

steam_sig.png
    looking at stonewall's list 4 out of the top 25 do not have strong aoe.

edited January 2012
    Jars wrote:

i think the new jungle is amazing. you don't need incredibly specific runes that are catered to your first few minutes in game now.

the exp and gold rate is so bad that you might as well go duo lane. all it did was make ridiculous aoe junglers able to force out everyone else with only rare exceptions like trundle who does well against counterjungle.

Jars on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Carnarvon wrote:

@PMAvers: Yep, double 1.0 coefficients on AP and AD, making Rageblade one of the most cost effective items for her. Also, Triforce is pretty godly with Kayle.

Can't say I've tried a Triforce on her, might try it next time. What I've been doing is a Rageblade, Nashor's Tooth, Gunblade, and then a MBR.

mpen reds, mana regen yellows, CDR blues, 2 health quints and a move speed quint.

Debating also whether I want to try the dual-pen runes or just stick with the mpens.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Any easy way to see when champs go on sale, for example an rss or twitter? After playing Vayne a few games last night I need to pick her up but $10 is kinda steep.

Don't feel like I am fully utilizing Condemn or whatever the knockback double damage ability is, mainly used it to knock people away from me instead of into walls. The first solomid guide I followed had an emphasis on Condemn and getting 2x dorans + a bloodthrister early. I think I was doing much more damage with tumble, auto attacks and her ult/silver arrows.

We had 2 leavers in a bot game and I was holding top and mid pretty much by myself just tumbling around and chasing people down with the speed 3 boots and her passive.

The aligator guy I want to try again, I was really medicore with him in the game I played.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    id finish gunblade/mbr before nashors

but ive always hated that item

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    champion sales are typically fridays, and sometimes on holidays or to correspond with certain skin releases. they usually announce the weekly champions that will be on sale the wednesday or thursday prior.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Madpanda wrote:
    Any easy way to see when champs go on sale, for example an rss or twitter? After playing Vayne a few games last night I need to pick her up but $10 is kinda steep.

Don't feel like I am fully utilizing Condemn or whatever the knockback double damage ability is, mainly used it to knock people away from me instead of into walls. The first solomid guide I followed had an emphasis on Condemn and getting 2x dorans + a bloodthrister early. I think I was doing much more damage with tumble, auto attacks and her ult/silver arrows.

We had 2 leavers in a bot game and I was holding top and mid pretty much by myself just tumbling around and chasing people down with the speed 3 boots and her passive.

The aligator guy I want to try again, I was really medicore with him in the game I played.

The front page of lolwikia normally shows you who is going on sale in the following weeks.
    Jars wrote:
    Jars wrote:

the exp and gold rate is so bad that you might as well go duo lane. all it did was make ridiculous aoe junglers able to force out everyone else with only rare exceptions like trundle who does well against counterjungle.

Anyone with sustain, AoE, or right click steroids are good in the jungle. Counter-jungling was nerfed pretty hard outside of stealing buffs, which is now even more of a hindrance that it was earlier.

AoE junglers like Shyv and Udyr are pretty great at stealing camps, but the Gangplanks and Yis will just 1v1 you or go steal your jungle while you are in his.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Carnarvon wrote:
    Madpanda wrote:

The front page of lolwikia normally shows you who is going on sale in the following weeks.
    Jars wrote:
    Jars wrote:

Anyone with sustain, AoE, or right click steroids are good in the jungle. Counter-jungling was nerfed pretty hard outside of stealing buffs, which is now even more of a hindrance that it was earlier.

AoE junglers like Shyv and Udyr are pretty great at stealing camps, but the Gangplanks and Yis will just 1v1 you or go steal your jungle while you are in his.

Yeah the exp and gold rate do suck but I mean the fact that there's a lot of new viable jungle champions.

steam_sig.png
  • KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    Question. What does "AA" mean?

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Since when could jungle GP reliably threaten Udyr? Most single target junglers are still not so much better at jungling that they can beat up other junglers; Skarner and Udyr are probably two of the best solo fighters barring some odd circumstances, and they're also massively strong AoE junglers. There is the occasional winner from single target (Fiddlestix with Blue basically wins any jungle fight if you're a guy without an interrupt or an ally to save the day), but a lot of the great AoE junglers are still consistently very, very good at soloing fools.

Also, "exp and gold rates suck" and "more people can jungle" are contradictory. More people can go into the jungle, kill creeps with something that resembles a normal build and mastery setup, and not die, but that doesn't mean that more people are actually viable picks for jungling, much like how you could run double support bot and not die, but it still wouldn't be a solid bot lane. I mean, so what if Graves can now, with a pull at blue, do a full clear, back, and semi sustain himself, he's not actually worth a shit in the jungle (I played tank jungle graves in an in house, it was odd).

EDIT: AA means autoattack. People used to just say AD champs, but since there are more and more AD casters, you've got to differentiate between, say, Trist (AA carry) or Pantheon (AD burst sustain mage assassin, or whatever the hell Riot is trying to do with him).

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • LuianeLuiane Registered User regular
    Auto attack, what you do when you right click an enemy.

Steam id: Varys
    LoL EU West nickname: Irridan
  • CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular
    Triple physical teams are so popular now. I want to try one comp with some synergy. I'm thinking Gangplank top, Sivir bottom and Tryndamere in the jungle. Tryndamere can build Black Cleaver and Starks without screwing his build that much. Combined with Gps +damage and Sivir's movement and attack speed buff you could get some pain going.

Support I'd say Janna/Sona/Taric. Not sure about mid laner. Maybe Urgot :P

Dancing Bagel
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Cutfang wrote:
    Triple physical teams are so popular now. I want to try one comp with some synergy. I'm thinking Gangplank top, Sivir bottom and Tryndamere in the jungle. Tryndamere can build Black Cleaver and Starks without screwing his build that much. Combined with Gps +damage and Sivir's movement and attack speed buff you could get some pain going.

Support I'd say Janna/Sona/Taric. Not sure about mid laner. Maybe Urgot :P

Team buffmurder:

Warwick
    Sivir
    Taric
    Gangplank
    Guy you're giving all the buffs to.

Laning would probably be GP/WW jungle and top, Sivir mid, Taric+buffdude bot.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote:
    Sampsen wrote:

in normal queue it randomizes player pick slot, except that pre-mades are above solo queues.

• DarisDaris Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    So I had a great game as Lux, but can't feel good about it because Jax and Udyr were morons who couldn't gank to save their lives. That and their middle lane was TF, so that made things easy. Yeah, I can't see that gold card over your head as you blindly charge me. Oh look, there is your jungler too. Yeah try and dive me, this should be amusing with flash and cleanse both up. Sadly, they took turns running from the tower with no health, I was oom, and i didn't get credit for assists as our jungler came in and one-shotted them both as they were running away.

On the plus side, I did land some very very choice skillshots all game. Like, escape from their whole team, and then escape from Twisted Fate when he used his ult to catch up to me. All the while I am bouncing between her shield and snare since that was all I had the mana to afford and my health was under a few hundred. Good lord her mana is so bad without blue buff. I hadn't built my archangels yet, but you would think a rune page full of mp/5 level and a MET could keep my mana up better.

All told I ended up with a handful of kills, less deaths, and not as many assists as I should have had. Our team literally had six kills on enemies under 5% health that were a direct result of my laser lacking that last little bit of umph.

Edit: I think Sivir buff would be great on a champion like Irelia.

Daris on
  • programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote:
    Cutfang wrote:
    I agree with Talith here. Blue on Xerath means he will have a really easy time getting creep kills and harassing his opponent. It is kind of a huge deal for him and most casters.

It is, but not at the cost of your jungler/especially Riven if she needs it. Let alone stealing it at the last moment.

I'm not going to rage quit over it, but let's just say that the first time in a game that someone steals a buff is going to be the last time I don't smite secure buffs against my own team, which is terrible.

Really though, the jungler should be in charge of buffs / dragon / Baron. When blue is up and I don't need it, I check mid's situation / mini map, and then ask them to come over to receive it. It's a similar principal to you being responsible for calling MIAs for your own lane, as while ideally everyone should try to know and communicate all relevant information at all times, everyone has an area that is their primary responsibility, which allows other people to concentrate on their primary responsibilities.

@programjunkie I still think you're too stingy with the blue buff. I know we've talked about this before, but AP Sion mid needs blue over Udyr. That's just a fact. You gimp your mid carry when his opponent has blue and he doesn't.

You gimp the other two lanes when the jungle cannot use his abilities properly. Udyr / WW, as properly played, effectively can spend any amount of mana you have access to, and it will be meaningful.

I'm perhaps a bit too stingy, as I've taken your opinion into advisement, but conversely, you have to realize that when playing mana hog jungles, it's a gigantic sacrifice. That game with super Pantheon I was constantly mana starved to the point where the game could have went the other way if I wasn't well, well past 100 games with WW alone. I prefer to live dangerously at the 25% HP level, rather than dipping down to 5% before mana regens enough to enable a life saving Q.