As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[World of Tanks] Our track is broken! Get out and push!

• G. CactusG. Cactus Registered User regular
    Once you get past the Lee, the US medium line is all winners. (I guess you could do M5 then M7 - those tanks aren't great, but they're not the Lee either). You definitely can't say that about the heavies.

If you're not going to have time to grind for free stuff (i.e., tier 9), I'd stick with the mediums.

• lostprophetlostprophet Registered User regular
    Ah so [SIMP] has advanced to the Elite Eight of the January Challenge after beating the November challenge's tied 4th place team. And we're fighting Cazadores who tied for 4th with the team we just beat. It might actually be our toughest match of the tourney but I'm not holding my breath

Steam: macg1991
    wotuserbar01.jpg: macg1991
    Check out the Penny Arcade World of Tanks thread to join us in some fun times.
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    Nice! Good luck to you guys.

ECOED.jpg
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I just got put in a match where I was bottom tank in my Leopard, the opposing team's bottom tank was a KV, and the top tanks on both sides were sets of E-75's. As I stared, open-mouthed, at the team rosters while the match loaded...WoT suddenly CTDed.

It was kind of awesome.

Speaking of the Leopard...56,000+ XP to the VK2801? This is going to be a brutal grind. The Luchs is so much more fun with its kinder matchmaking. I am definitely keeping that little baby for when I need a break from the Leopard and getting instapwned by Type 59's/KV-#'s/IS-#'s/assorted big cats THE ORGASMICALLY ENJOYABLE LIFE OF A SHERMAN DRIVER.

Seriously you guys, I could use some additional advice/encouragement on the Sherman if anybody can spare any. It's fully upgraded now with the 76mm rapid-firing gun, and I just don't understand what I'm supposed to be doing with this thing. 75% of my matches I am in the bottom half of the roster, if not rock bottom, and the meat of the opposition is all tier 6-8. In these matches, my options as I have thus far found them are as follows:

Tactic 1: Advance ahead of my team for recon, because why the hell not if I'm the smallest tank on the team. Result: I am killed immediately, usually without ever even seeing what hit me, making my sacrifice useless even for scouting purposes.

Tactic 2: Hang around the spawn to (theoretically) protect the base and screen the artillery, take long-distance potshots at targets of opportunity. Result: Eventually one team or the other's front line collapses, and either the rest of my team advances to a victory I had nothing to do with, or the enemy team steamrolls into our base and crushes me like a helpless bug.

Tactic 3: Tag along behind heavies and other beefier tanks on my team as they advance, wait for them to make contact, then try pop in and out behind their protective bulk to lend supporting fire. Result: In spite of my best efforts to cower behind my teammates, my puny, vulnerable presence is invariably noticed almost immediately and every enemy tank in the vicinity focuses their fire on me in search of an easy kill.

Tactic 4: Follow the front-line combatants at a greater distance and look for an opportunity to slip through the enemy line and attack their flanks while they're engaged. Result: This is next to impossible right off the bat half the time because so many of the maps only have 2-3 viable routes across which lead to horrendous chokepoints. Even on a more open map, the M4 isn't fast enough to exploit an opening and get into a good flanking position without being engaged.

I realize that my problems are in large part due to the matchmaking system and the matchmaking system screws everybody more or less, but people talk as though I should actually be able to accomplish something with the M4 and I feel like I'm just going through the motions and praying for some dumb luck while counting up the pittance of XP I grind out for every pointless match. What am I doing wrong, or what should I be doing differently?

Gaslight on
  • minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote:
    So in the next patch, the T30 is becoming a TD and the T34 becomes a premium, correct? What's moving in to replace the top of the US heavy tier?

T110 and M103, respectively. Better armor and a bit faster, but no more glass cannon.

Being on the T32 right now I'm going to stop once I research the T34 and only buy it just in time for the change.

• BastableBastable Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Luch is superior to Leopard . Leopard gun is not much better than the luch. Lep has slightly better armor and HP, but worse acceleration higher speed loss in turns and less manouvrable in general. It's a massive step backwards and in random matchmaking has to put up with tier 9 and 8 tanks that can one shot it anyway rendering it's higher hp and Armour moot.

VK28 at least can hurt things with it's 10cm gun.

Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

minirhyder wrote:
    T110 and M103, respectively. Better armor and a bit faster, but no more glass cannon.

Being on the T32 right now I'm going to stop once I research the T34 and only buy it just in time for the change.

Reading some previews and forum discussion of the T110 now. I...let's just say I have some misgivings. :? (People have already picked out the huge commander's cupola on the turret as its undoing?!) Guess I will stick with mediums after all.

Another match in the M4, another match where I die in the first 20 seconds of combat to combined fire from three enemies I never saw. Ho-hum.

If you're playing now gaslight platoon me up id Bastable

Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

edited January 2012
    Bastable wrote:
    If you're playing now gaslight platoon me up id Bastable

If I knew how to do that, I'd take you up on that offer.

So I looked at my stats for the Sherman.

Battles participated: 78
    Victories: 37
    Defeats: 39
    Survived: 20

Kills: 33
    Max kills: 4

Avg. experience per battle: 320 (with premium)

(Numbers in bold are the ones that are making me want to tear my hair out.)

Is this par for the course or do I just suck?

Gaslight on
    edited January 2012
    Thanks to @Bastable and @scare for platooning with me for a while tonight. Learned a little, had somebody specific to watch in postmortem mode when I died, and felt better about myself from learning that it's not just me, sometimes you're simply straight-up fucked and there's not a thing you can do about it.

Gaslight on
    Yeah tier 5 it's better when you're mid or top otherwise we're speed bumps to IS3, t59s and lowes. Still hope it helped and always willing to platoon up.

So I crunched the numbers. I am averaging 266 experience per battle in my Leopard, which means that it will take approximately a mere two hundred more matches to be able to move up to the VK2801.

Since my lifespan in each battle played in the Leopard usually maxes out at about 90 seconds, this would be comparatively trivial. Except for the fact that I have to wait out the rest of the game for my smoldering hulk to be released so I can lather, rinse, and repeat.

• SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    You know you can quit out of a battle and go play with another tank while waiting for it to finish, right? I mean that doesn't get you through your 200 Leopard matches any quicker, but your wording is ambiguous and I'd hate to imagine anyone sitting and watching the whole match after every death.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure he realizes this, but it's more a matter of the tank itself still being trapped in the match.
    As far as crunching the numbers go, when did you have to do that? If you looked at the statistics section of your Leopard to check your total XP and battles, it has a figure right there beneath those to tell you your average XP ... So I'm hoping you didn't bother to do this manually. <_<

In any case. Matchmaker and the excuses people seem to make for its behaviour don't make sense to me. When I play my own tier 8 tanks I'm frequently in the top-3 and there are usually on 3 tier 8s a side. For tier 5 tanks to consistently see the volume of tier 8s that they do under the 'presumptive way MM supposedly works' means that I should see about as many tier 8s in my own tier 8, as there are clearly that many people playing them. And yet I don't.
    I cannot fathom a way in which the lower tiers are not intentionally get shit on. The priorities really must weigh them higher for no real reason. But hey, at least some of those people should feel happy in games with me. 9/10 times, if my tank is 4 tiers higher than yours I won't actively make an effort to shoot you. It's about a 50/50 split between 'they don't deserve it' and 'I should really be prioritizing the things that are threats'.

Now if only 9/10 SPG players would share that mentality and actually contribute to their team.

• mccartmccart Registered User regular
    You might know this but the the VK2801 is a pretty specialized tank. Along with the t-50-2 and the chaffee it gets matched up with tier 4-10 opponents since it is considered to be in the "top tier" of scout tanks: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/10168-match-making-system/ This is why it costs so much experience to unlock. It is also pretty common to lose credits in a battle with the VK2801, especially if you are using a standard account. If you're not really enjoying the basic play-style that the Leopard offers, the VK2801 might be a poor choice to pursue. It does have the potential to do some really awesome things, but there are definitely going to be streaks of games where you get completely demolished without contributing much to the game.

I'm pretty sure he realizes this, but it's more a matter of the tank itself still being trapped in the match.

You guess correctly.

As far as crunching the numbers go, when did you have to do that? If you looked at the statistics section of your Leopard to check your total XP and battles, it has a figure right there beneath those to tell you your average XP

That is exactly how. I just divided the XP needed for the 2801 by that figure.

Now if only 9/10 SPG players would share that mentality and actually contribute to their team.

Is it just me or are SPG drivers significantly more likely to be self-absorbed, arrogant douchecanoes? "WHY U NO PROTECT ME?"...after charging up the still-contested hill in the middle of the map at the very beginning of a match, or to a hapless medium left gallantly but vainly defending the backfield by itself against a platoon of enemy heavies and TDs.

This mentality is sadly not limited to the low-tier, rookie artillerymen, either.

edited January 2012
    mccart wrote:
    You might know this but the the VK2801 is a pretty specialized tank. Along with the t-50-2 and the chaffee it gets matched up with tier 4-10 opponents since it is considered to be in the "top tier" of scout tanks: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/10168-match-making-system/ This is why it costs so much experience to unlock. It is also pretty common to lose credits in a battle with the VK2801, especially if you are using a standard account. If you're not really enjoying the basic play-style that the Leopard offers, the VK2801 might be a poor choice to pursue. It does have the potential to do some really awesome things, but there are definitely going to be streaks of games where you get completely demolished without contributing much to the game.

I couldn't give two shits about the VK2801 by itself. It's just the next step up in the progression that eventually leads me to the Tiger, Tiger II, etc. I picked this branch because I wanted to try the Luchs (and I'm glad I did), but now I think I would have been better off long-term taking the other branch that goes through the Pz4. In fact, I'm strongly tempted to dump the Leopard, chalk it up to experience (the life lesson kind if not the in-game kind) and do exactly that. Without premium I think I would be losing money on the Leopard half the time as it is.

Gaslight on
    Gaslight wrote:
    mccart wrote:

I couldn't give two shits about the VK2801 by itself. It's just the next step up in the progression that eventually leads me to the Tiger, Tiger II, etc. I picked this branch because I wanted to try the Luchs (and I'm glad I did), but now I think I would have been better off long-term taking the other branch that goes through the Pz4. In fact, I'm strongly tempted to dump the Leopard, chalk it up to experience (the life lesson kind if not the in-game kind) and do exactly that. Without premium I think I would be losing money on the Leopard half the time as it is.

Um, the VK2801 is a dead end >.>. To get the Tiger II you need to pick another branch.

Gaslight wrote:
    mccart wrote:

Um, the VK2801 is a dead end >.>. To get the Tiger II you need to pick another branch.

I can't believe I didn't notice there's no arrow pointing to the 3601H there.

*Ahem* FUCK.

Well, I'm glad we had this talk.

edited January 2012
    Gaslight wrote:
    As far as crunching the numbers go, when did you have to do that? If you looked at the statistics section of your Leopard to check your total XP and battles, it has a figure right there beneath those to tell you your average XP

I think you misunderstood me. There is literally a number in your statistics that tells you your average XP per battle, no math required.

Gaslight wrote:

Is it just me or are SPG drivers significantly more likely to be self-absorbed, arrogant douchecanoes? "WHY U NO PROTECT ME?"...after charging up the still-contested hill in the middle of the map at the very beginning of a match, or to a hapless medium left gallantly but vainly defending the backfield by itself against a platoon of enemy heavies and TDs.

This mentality is sadly not limited to the low-tier, rookie artillerymen, either.
    No, it's a problem with SPGs across all tiers. People aim for easy kills instead of really helping, because a majority of players don't understand that reward in this game is strictly given for damage, and kills are irrelevant as a figure, so long as your team acquires 15 in total. Watching SPGs in a tier 9 or 10 match shoot at the tier 6 or 7 tanks just makes you die inside. Or even literally. Actually, most often literally.
    I can think of one game recently where I was in my T-54 alone, and there was an E-50, and E-100, and an IS-4 in front of me. The E-50 was at 40% the E-100 at 1%, and the IS-4 at 90%-100%. I was at roughly 20% and did not want to engage the E-50, so I boldly just plowed through all 3 of them. I had a side shot at the E-100 that would have been an assured kill, except before I could take it our SPG shot him. Not the E-50 he could have killed as easily, or the IS-4 he could have softened up. 1%.
    *sigh*

[Edit]
    Heed the other guys - you're reading the tech tree wrong, Dude. The VK2801 stops dead. It's the tanks beside it that branch out into the tree you're looking at ... You can drop that leopard right now.

ArcticLancer on
    edited January 2012
    Gaslight wrote:

I think you misunderstood me. There is literally a number in your statistics that tells you your average XP per battle, no math required.

I think you misunderstood me. Yes, that is the 266 figure I quoted above. I divided the XP required for the 2801 by that number.

Edit: Why is the gold I just bought not showing up in my account?

Gaslight on
    Gaslight wrote:
    Gaslight wrote:

I think you misunderstood me. Yes, that is the 266 figure I quoted above. I divided the XP required for the 2801 by that number.

Edit: Why is the gold I just bought not showing up in my account?

Gold should show up immediately unless the SOPA black out is doing weird things with the money end of the transaction.

Refresh and if nothing is there might be time to write a email to the WoT people.

edited January 2012
    I've refreshed and logged in and out of the server like 3 times, and it's been a good half hour since I got my PayPal e-mail showing the payment had been authorized. Who exactly do I contact? I'm not sure what department this falls under on the support website.

Edit: Filled out a support ticket under account problems, it asks for the transaction ID and everything (which I've got) so I guess that's the way to go.

Gaslight on
    You logged into and or of the game right? Maybe you just missed it? I don't know what to say. Gold purchases have been pretty immediate for me

Gaslight wrote:

No, it's a problem with SPGs across all tiers. People aim for easy kills instead of really helping, because a majority of players don't understand that reward in this game is strictly given for damage, and kills are irrelevant as a figure, so long as your team acquires 15 in total. Watching SPGs in a tier 9 or 10 match shoot at the tier 6 or 7 tanks just makes you die inside. Or even literally. Actually, most often literally.
    I can think of one game recently where I was in my T-54 alone, and there was an E-50, and E-100, and an IS-4 in front of me. The E-50 was at 40% the E-100 at 1%, and the IS-4 at 90%-100%. I was at roughly 20% and did not want to engage the E-50, so I boldly just plowed through all 3 of them. I had a side shot at the E-100 that would have been an assured kill, except before I could take it our SPG shot him. Not the E-50 he could have killed as easily, or the IS-4 he could have softened up. 1%.
    *sigh*

I think you guys are being a bit unduly harsh on artillery players. Not that there aren't plenty of terrible ones, just as with every other vehicle type. But playing artillery in WoT is a huge shift from playing a regular tank or TD, and obviously there's gonna be some differences in attitude and some behaviors that seem weird from one perspective and totally reasonable from another. For example, I guarantee you that every time you've gotten mad at an artillery player's choice of targets, I've been yelling at my monitor to HEY ASSHOLE, STOP BOUNCING AP ROUNDS OFF THAT GUY'S GLACIS PLATE AND SHOOT HIM IN THE TRACKS NEXT TIME HE POPS OUT FROM COVER SO I CAN GET A CLEAN SHOT AND KILL HIM OH MY GOD. Or maybe I'm shooting at lower-tier tanks because I'm trying to support a weak flank that's about to collapse while all the high-tier guys are sitting behind cover and taking pot shots at each other on the other side of the map.

In general I think it pays huge dividends to play all the different types of vehicle. It helps you understand how to work better with your teammates, and how to neutralize threats from your opponents. It also gives you a bit of empathy - artillery players complain about what their team is doing because they're totally dependent on them, not just for success, but even for a chance to fulfill their basic function: They're almost completely helpless if someone does break through the lines, and they're completely dependent on teammates to find them targets to shoot at. A shitty team sucks no matter what you're playing, but with some fancy driving sometimes you can at least pull off a couple of good kills in a heavy or TD before you lose. As artillery, a shitty team usually means you're dead in 90 seconds with nothing to show for it but a repair bill.

Also, Arctic, I think you're undervaluing kills somewhat here. Not just in the context of artillery targeting priorities, but in general. The problem is that damaged tanks can still hurt you. Two IS-4s at 50% are way more dangerous than one at full health. Sometimes it's worth a bit of overkill to finish someone off.

You logged into and or of the game right? Maybe you just missed it? I don't know what to say. Gold purchases have been pretty immediate for me

Yeah, several times. But I got a response in 15 minutes and my gold appeared, better customer service than I expected really.

edited January 2012
    Also, Arctic, I think you're undervaluing kills somewhat here. Not just in the context of artillery targeting priorities, but in general. The problem is that damaged tanks can still hurt you. Two IS-4s at 50% are way more dangerous than one at full health. Sometimes it's worth a bit of overkill to finish someone off.

I think you're taking that quote beyond its context. In that exact example, the SPG killed the lone target that anyone alive could have taken out, and it was not engaging anyone (this happened on a hilltop, so my fight with the E-50 was exclusively with the E-50. It was only when I made a break I passed the other two, and I was not engaged with either as I continued to flee past them). It would have been much more helpful for the SPG to shoot either other target.

Besides this, I agree on focusing fire completely. However there's a difference between focusing down a target and simply grabbing at low hanging fruit. When an M4 is sitting in with a pair of IS-4s, seriously, which one of those would you rather your tier 7 SPG shoot at? And how many times would it shoot the M4? At least half, I'd wager. *shrug*

As for playing all kinds, I agree. I try to make like easy for SPGs. The best thing they can do is call out their targets, because then I will try and track them. But why would I do that if I don't know you're shooting at them? Similarly, if I spot someone go and sit in a bush, the last thing I'm going to do is shoot at him if an SPG lets me know he's firing. I'd rather leave that tank sitting there than scare it away and waste a free shot for the arty. It's a two-way street, and I agree that glass cannons can have it tough when they have a shitty team. Similarly, I understand it when an SPG point-blanks a scout because they don't know if they can rely on their team mates to stop it. That's cool. Uncool is when your SPG f*cking guns it FOR a scout when he has protection, and that leads to them getting spotted and killed.
    It's all give and take. That's fine enough. I also understand the randomness of matchmaker. Life goes on. But from my experiences with the game so far, I draw this notion, for better or worse:
    No small number of SPG players are treating their tank like a giant sniper rifle with the single goal of getting as many kills as possible. There's no threat assessment and prioritization, unless it will lead to the self-preservation of the SPG itself. This is not universal, but it's how I expect any given SPG in a public game to behave. As such, I do not count on my own until they prove themself otherwise.

On the flip side though, it's always flattering (and I feel a great help to my team) when I'm the tier 6 tank that's getting all the tier 7 SPGs to shoot at him.

ArcticLancer on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote:

Yeah, several times. But I got a response in 15 minutes and my gold appeared, better customer service than I expected really.

Sounds like you made the right call--gold purchases tend to be immediate, so something went wrong.

But from my experiences with the game so far, I draw this notion, for better or worse:
    No small number of SPG players are treating their tank like a giant sniper rifle with the single goal of getting as many kills as possible. There's no threat assessment and prioritization, unless it will lead to the self-preservation of the SPG itself. This is not universal, but it's how I expect any given SPG in a public game to behave. As such, I do not count on my own until they prove themself otherwise.

Well, for this, I refer you back to my statement that there are plenty of terrible artillery drivers, just as there are shitty tank and TD players. The terribleness just manifests differently. :P

Absolutely. Bad SPGs are pretty much on par with bad top-tier tanks getting themselves rolled in seconds. Both really, really screw your team over.

• WraithXt1WraithXt1 Registered User regular
    You know, almost a year later I still have the most fun driving the Loltraktor.

WraithXt1.png
    When an M4 is sitting in with a pair of IS-4s, seriously, which one of those would you rather your tier 7 SPG shoot at? And how many times would it shoot the M4?

Every damn time. :(

• minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Which I don't get. They would get far more XP for shooting the IS-4 than the M4. If you're a relatively high tier arty, you'll get next to no XP for shooting a tank that is a lower tier than you...

Finally got enough experience for an Easy 8, but I'm still torn on whether I should get one and stick with mediums or get an M4A3E2 "Sherman Jumbo" and switch over to the heavy line. I don't actually have the money for either one right now though, so I have some time to make up my mind. I am actually becoming sort of fond of the vanilla M4, or at least I have mostly made peace with its limitations.

(If it seems like I am fickle or experiencing rapid mood swings in my opinions about this game, it is probably because I have put nearly every spare moment into playing it since Saturday. I don't know if there's a play time stat kept anywhere but I figure I must be over 30 hours in the past five days. And a lot of this was [very] late at night...which is what I am choosing to blame my failure to notice the German tree dead-ends at the VK2801 on.)

Considering your current experiences with the game so far, don't go US heavies. Unless you hate yourself that is.

ECOED.jpg
    edited January 2012
    Well, the T29 is supposed to be fun (now that the fixed the turret "ears," right?) and tier 7 is supposed to be a good money-making/matchmaking sweet spot from what I hear. I know anything above that is a crapshoot though, especially with the changes coming, and getting through the M6 looks agonizing...

I guess with the recent changes to HE rounds the 105 on the Jumbo is not nearly as good as it used to be? :(

Gaslight on
    The M6 was really bad, and I'll admit that while I loved my time in the T29 and T32, I leveled through them in a pre-t8 premium world. I just have a bad feeling you'll get there, and then proceed to get chewed up in T8/9 matches by the swarms of T-59's.

As for the Jumbo, someone else will have to comment with their experiences.

ECOED.jpg
    edited January 2012
    Way to go magic caching and double posting. (seriously, it copied the ABOVE post I made when I posted the one below ...)

ArcticLancer on
  • G. CactusG. Cactus Registered User regular
    This site gives you your time played, broken down by vehicle. Maybe it's better not to know, but it also gives you a whole pile of other cool stats.

G. Cactus wrote:
    This site gives you your time played, broken down by vehicle. Maybe it's better not to know, but it also gives you a whole pile of other cool stats.

Neat tool. Pretty annoying (although I suspected it) that pre-7.1 I was missing my master tanker award because I'd never killed a GW-E. Now I need to get all the high tier French tanks too ... Meh, at least they're out in force. I bet the last thing I kill is still that GW-E. :P
    Fun fact: Apparently Arctic has killed more Type 59s than any other tank. Over half of those are with my T-44, with which I have killed more than twice as many of them as any other kind of tank. Seriously, f*ck the Type 59 and its abundance. <_<

This discussion has been closed.