As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Paula Deen] : Evil, Sadistic Monster of a Woman

ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster ApocalypseThe Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
edited January 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/01/the-evil-marketing-genius-of-paula-deen-the-new-face-of-diabetes/251543/

Paula Deen is pure, unadulterated evil. She is literally in the business of causing a disease and then shilling for the lifelong treatment goldmine that results.

Over the last few days, rumors had abounded that she had contracted Type II Diabetes... that's the kind you get from shoving her cooking into your facehole for years on end. She has apparently had the disease for several years, now, but has been keeping it quiet. Now that she's "out", she has accepted a position as a paid spokesperson for Novo Nordisk, a Danish pharma company that manufactures a drug treatment for the disease.
What's really unsettling here is Deen's role as an apparatus for an industry that sees more money in perfecting the expensive (for the patients) management of a disease instead of working harder to find a cure or to promote prevention, in which there is no viable financial market. Diabetes, a widespread, little-understood, but completely manageable disease, is a potentially evergreen market.

Her plan is to continue causing diabetes and then take money from Novo Nordisk in order to promote treatment for the disease she is causing. There isn't enough foam for my mouth. This is absolutely disgusting. She's basically playing both ends in order to enrich herself, to the detriment of anyone dumb enough to enjoy her recipes.
She didn't wait to announce the news because, as she put it, she "had nothing to give to my fellow friends out there." She could have given them new recipes, advice for living a healthier lifestyle, and some warnings about the causes of type 2 diabetes. Instead, she waited until she could corner the market on the (very likely) next phase of her constituents' lifestyle: a $500 per month Victoza prescription.

Fuck.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
Chanus on

• RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Chanus wrote:
    http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/01/the-evil-marketing-genius-of-paula-deen-the-new-face-of-diabetes/251543/

Paula Deen is pure, unadulterated evil. She is literally in the business of causing a disease and then shilling for the lifelong treatment goldmine that results.

Over the last few days, rumors had abounded that she had contracted Type II Diabetes... that's the kind you get from shoving her cooking into your facehole for years on end. She has apparently had the disease for several years, now, but has been keeping it quiet. Now that she's "out", she has accepted a position as a paid spokesperson for Novo Nordisk, a Danish pharma company that manufactures a drug treatment for the disease.
    What's really unsettling here is Deen's role as an apparatus for an industry that sees more money in perfecting the expensive (for the patients) management of a disease instead of working harder to find a cure or to promote prevention, in which there is no viable financial market. Diabetes, a widespread, little-understood, but completely manageable disease, is a potentially evergreen market.

Her plan is to continue causing diabetes and then take money from Novo Nordisk in order to promote treatment for the disease she is causing. There isn't enough foam for my mouth. This is absolutely disgusting. She's basically playing both ends in order to enrich herself, to the detriment of anyone dumb enough to enjoy her recipes.
    She didn't wait to announce the news because, as she put it, she "had nothing to give to my fellow friends out there." She could have given them new recipes, advice for living a healthier lifestyle, and some warnings about the causes of type 2 diabetes. Instead, she waited until she could corner the market on the (very likely) next phase of her constituents' lifestyle: a $500 per month Victoza prescription.

Fuck.

Actually you can get type II diabetes genetically. And its not always controllable. Sometimes it will completely fuck your circulation, eyesight and kidneys. Even with medication. Leaving you a blind amputee on dialysis.

But I do agree with your fuck Paula Deen analysis.

Rchanen on
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    I was going to note that the health of her recipes was what was the least wrong with them, but I was thinking of Sandra Lee.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yeah.

Pretty much this.

She has such a loyal following among crazy people. She has such a huge soap box to teach and preach from, and she not only didn't, but won't now.

So....

Fuck her.

• TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Bagginses wrote:
    I was going to note that the health of her recipes was what was the least wrong with them, but I was thinking of Sandra Lee.

Sandra Lee is pretty terrible too, but for different reasons.

Paula Deen has diabetes!? This is my surprise face.

I've looked at a few of Paula Deen's recipes, and they are disturbing with the amount of butter they call for.

oh h*ck
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    No one is surprised. And I don't think she will change her cooking in any way either.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Turkson wrote:
    Bagginses wrote:

I've looked at a few of Paula Deen's recipes, and they are disturbing with the amount of butter they call for.

Deep-Fried Motherfucking Stuffing on a Stick

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote:
    Turkson wrote:
    Bagginses wrote:

I love stuffing.

And deep fried goods.

But I am pretty meh on eating things on a stick.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    She should have to eat everything she makes.
    Shape up or die fatty!

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    she's going down and taking the deep south to hell with her from her perch on the infernal hoveround

Wqdwp8l.png
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    I mean, I'm still kind of impressed by the way she got past her crippling agoraphobia, but I'm pretty unsympathetic to her as a spokesperson for anything which could conceivably be related to either her health or yours.

I'm of the opinion that Food Network should get in the habit of mentioning the basic nutritional data for all of the recipes that appear on their programs so that aspiring home chefs can make some better-informed choices about the recipes they choose to add to their repertoire. But I'm generally also of the opinion that even without specific calorie/sodium/saturated fats/unsaturated fats data, "three sticks of butter" ought to be a metric suitable enough that anyone who still replicates Paula's recipes at home probably deserves what they have coming to them.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    She may be in the clear here. Butter doesn't cause diabetes.

But fried butter does.

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    SammyF wrote:
    I mean, I'm still kind of impressed by the way she got past her crippling agoraphobia, but I'm pretty unsympathetic to her as a spokesperson for anything which could conceivably be related to either her health or yours.

I'm of the opinion that Food Network should get in the habit of mentioning the basic nutritional data for all of the recipes that appear on their programs so that aspiring home chefs can make some better-informed choices about the recipes they choose to add to their repertoire. But I'm generally also of the opinion that even without specific calorie/sodium/saturated fats/unsaturated fats data, "three sticks of butter" ought to be a metric suitable enough that anyone who still replicates Paula's recipes at home probably deserves what they have coming to them.

Alton Brown is pretty good about this.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote:

Huh, that is a good idea. They could even make it an app, and/or give you a link to a webpage with the data. Or maybe run a ticker at the bottom.

• sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote:

Fuck.

It seems like a logical extention of her current business.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Anthony Bourdain, is that you?

So Paula Deen is causing diabetes now? The food she makes isn't any less healthy than what say, Anne Willan cooks. Or heck, any French chef from Escoffier on down - French food is practically an ode to butter and cream. Julia Child was criticized back in the day for excessive butter and sugar in her TV-promoted dishes. Deen practically cooks diet food compared to Paul Prudhomme (who is also fat and probably has diabetes).

Should we say Fuck Michelle Obama too, because she promotes exercise as a way to fight childhood obesity, while at the same time shitty school lunches are contributing to the childhood obesity epidemic? The same school lunches that are in the sorry state they're in (french fries=fresh vegetables) because the federal government (Dept of Agriculture) has commoditized them, just so farmers have a dumping ground for subpar meat that even McDonald's won't touch.

Is this because Deen didn't make her diabetes public? I dunno, I doubt anyone's shocked to find out she's not the pinnacle of health. You can tell just by looking that she's fat. She also smokes. And has never promoted her food as healthy.

BubbaT on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    The issue is that she's now a paid spokesperson for a company that profits off the lifelong treatment of diabetes while she also promotes unhealthy eating habits that are directly related to a cause of diabetes.

The important distinction is that she's not promoting finding a cure or even prevention: she's promoting expensive treatment.

• sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    I should say that even though I was glib about it, it actually seems like a (horribly evil) logical step for her as a cook who has an entire region of the US wrapped around her finger. I mean, I joke about how she's like "fry this butter up, then add a stick of butter rolled in breadcrumbs and fry it up" but that's not that big of an exageration... I don't really blame US obesity on her. We know that eating fatty foods or too much foods makes us fat. We do it anyway. This is more of a "blame us" thing than get mad at her for being evil about it.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    The Internet reaction that butter causes diabetes is kind of knee-jerk.

There's some evidence that saturated fat is linked to diabetes, but in some studies after you control for obesity the correlation disappears.

The primary known causes of diabetes are genes, obesity, and sugar. I guess you could make a case that butter contributes to obesity, which contributes to diabetes as a secondary effect.

Anyway, none of that excuses her position as a pharma shill. I'm pretty pro-pharma, and even I think it's ridiculous that she's selling a brand-name medication for a disease that is well-managed by lifestyle changes and generic medication.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    No, it's because that when she made her Diabetes public she decided to not do anything about it, but keep on keeping on like she is.

Paula Deen has massive appeal to people, and a huge fanbase who takes her word as gospel. Everything that she makes is like heaven on a plate. And if she decided to do something about it, if she even thought about making it so that her food would be a bit better, a bit healthier, then this might not be a big deal.

However, she has decided to not use her pulpit as a means of changing the country's perception on health and diabetes, she has simply said "well, guess there's nothing Ah can do about it, time to take the drugs! It's just one o' those thangs!"

When there are things that can be done about it, and she is one of the perfect people to teach about it. She is choosing to let other people who idolize her risk this disease, which is already in record numbers, so that she can benefit more from it.

And that is disappointing and disgusting.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote:
    The issue is that she's now a paid spokesperson for a company that profits off the lifelong treatment of diabetes while she also promotes unhealthy eating habits that are directly related to a cause of diabetes.

The important distinction is that she's not promoting finding a cure or even prevention: she's promoting expensive treatment.

Right. Even in the absence of lifestyle modification, the first-line treatment for diabetes is metformin. It's cheap, safe (as long as your kidneys and liver work - which is a complication in some populations but not the general population), and it works.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    If it makes you all feel better, her son has a new show on the Cooking Channel called "Not My Momma's Recipes", wherein he makes healthier versions of his mom's dishes.

When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    If you try to get on the case of everyone who's doing something like this you'll be here till the thread is locked for exceeding the page limit

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    wwtMask wrote:
    If it makes you all feel better, her son has a new show on the Cooking Channel called "Not My Momma's Recipes", wherein he makes healthier versions of his mom's dishes.

A bit better.

but I'm not familiar with the distribution of the Cooking Channel. I know that it was available to my parents, but only if they went up to the next level of cable. But everybody can get Food Network. So....

Paladin wrote:
    If you try to get on the case of everyone who's doing something like this you'll be here till the thread is locked for exceeding the page limit

While this may be the case, I learned at a pretty young age that "everybody's doing it!" doesn't make it okay.

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote:
    Paladin wrote:

While this may be the case, I learned at a pretty young age that "everybody's doing it!" doesn't make it okay.

I wish I still believed that

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • CheBourgeoisNoirCheBourgeoisNoir Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I'm not really seeing how Deen's promotion here makes her evil. She makes food on television; she's not putting a gun to your head to make and eat those particular dishes yourself, or to go out and buy whatever particular brand of medication she is selling. Evil, for me at least, is when you do something that forcibly negatively impacts the life of someone else - she's not doing this. For context, I think everyone who owns modern consumer electronics (myself included, as I sit here typing on my laptop) is more "evil" for being complicit in Foxconn's abuse of workers.

Edit: I mean, it's still in pretty poor taste for someone like her to be any kind of spokesperson for diabetes, which I guess in some weird tangential way she is a cause of, but I'm not willing to see Deen as a "cause" of diabetes. Moreover, my understanding (informed in large part by some posters in this forum, and the SE cooking threads) is that diabetes is linked in large part to the shit diet of people who don't have the money or time to eat in a manner that prevents the disease, considering that cheap often equals processed crap. If you have the money to be making Paula Deen recipes for every meal, you have the money to also be buying fresh veggies and a gym memebership. If you're watching Food Network in general you're probably fairly cognizant of healthy eating.

CheBourgeoisNoir on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I'm not really seeing how Deen's promotion here makes her evil. She makes food on television; she's not putting a gun to your head to make and eat those particular dishes yourself, or to go out and buy whatever particular brand of medication she is selling. Evil, for me at least, is when you do something that forcibly negatively impacts the life of someone else - she's not doing this. For context, I think everyone who owns modern consumer electronics (myself included, as I sit here typing on my laptop) is more "evil" for being complicit in Foxconn's abuse of workers.

Oh sweet idea guy

let's get a chart made up, and then each devote exactly the appropriate amount of time to each individual evil based on say geographic proximity

when we're finally ISO 9000 compliant I bet we'll kick all this to the curb!

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    The best thing to come out of this is Bourdain's tweet in response to the news.
    Thinking of getting into the leg-breaking business, so I can profitably sell crutches later.
    Dude's an ass, but he's a hilarious ass.

http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/anthony-bourdain-slams-paula-deen-twitter-01-17-2012

Oh sweet idea guy

let's get a chart made up, and then each devote exactly the appropriate amount of time to each individual evil based on say geographic proximity

when we're finally ISO 9000 compliant I bet we'll kick all this to the curb!

Again, my argument about the Foxconn workers is just for context - as in, I think a fairly unavoidable thing in modern everyday life does more damage, on the whole, than what Deen is doing. There's a ton of little evils everywhere, what Deen is doesn't rank as "evil" for me - distasteful, sure. I have a familial risk for diabetes, and I LOVE cooking and some fairly unhealthy Italian and French food in the vein of what Deen makes, and I could afford to lose 10 pounds - but I still make it to the gym three or four times a week because I happen to think I'm personally responsible for my health, instead of "DAMN YOU, DEEEEEEEEEEEEN". As far as her shilling for the medication, whatever. As posters noted above, its managable with lifestyle changes and exercise, and if you go to your doc and he recommends you take whatever medication Deen is shilling for instead of making those lifestyle changes before you do anything else, you need to find a new doc.

SammyF wrote:
    "three sticks of butter" ought to be a metric suitable enough that anyone who still replicates Paula's recipes at home probably deserves what they have coming to them.

I wish I could lime this for ultimate truth.

• BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Burtletoy wrote:
    Chanus wrote:
    Turkson wrote:
    Bagginses wrote:

I love stuffing.

And deep fried goods.

But I am pretty meh on eating things on a stick.

It's basically fried dough. Every culture has it, which may explain why death is universal.

• WrathborneWrathborne Web artist Beside myselfRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Paula Deen, Butter Queen.
    Donmt make fun of her diabetes, thats just mean. :P

Wrathborne on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    What makes this so loathsome is that she didn't come out of the diabetes closet until she literally monetized her disease: "In conjunction with her "coming out," Deen has announced her new position as spokesperson for the Danish pharmaceutical giant, Novo Nordisk."

Wassermelone on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    wwtMask wrote:

I'm extremely skeptical of American health food culture, which tends to be low fat/high sugar.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    wwtMask wrote:

I'm extremely skeptical of American health food culture, which tends to be low fat/high sugar.

They even had low carb on Penn and Teller's "bullshit" wherein a doctor said "yeah it makes you lose weight but its bad because of ketosis"

No explanation beyond that, but that he doesn't recommend it, it's silly

override367 on
    I'm not really seeing how Deen's promotion here makes her evil. She makes food on television; she's not putting a gun to your head to make and eat those particular dishes yourself, or to go out and buy whatever particular brand of medication she is selling.

If you advocate that people engage in harmful behaviors, you are doing something wrong.

At best, you are unaware that the behaviors are harmful. This is a failure of knowledge.

At worst, you know, but you advocate them anyway. This is a failure of morality.

It is silly that I have to explain this. No doubt you'll come back and say "but she's not putting a gun to your head" yet again, as if that makes it okay. No, she's not directly threatening people. That would be even worse. But the possibility of a worse transgression does not by itself forgive the lesser transgression.

People have a moral responsibility to engage in beneficial speech to the best of their ability.

wwtMask wrote:

They even had low carb on Penn and Teller's "bullshit" wherein a doctor said "yeah it makes you lose weight but its bad because of ketosis"

I don't even do the low carb thing.

But most low fat foods will simply be high sugar by default to make up for the lack of flavor.

Rchanen wrote:
    But I do agree with your fuck Paula Deen analysis.

Chubby Chaser?

But most low fat foods will simply be high sugar by default to make up for the lack of flavor.

By this, I know you mean specifically prepackaged "Low Fat" labeled foods.

I say this only because we run the risk of somebody taking you too literally and saying "but celery is a low fat food herp derp"

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    wwtMask wrote:

I don't even do the low carb thing.

Well most of the "fat is the ultimate evil" school of thought is actually complete bullshit, and sugar can be pretty conclusively linked to America being fatty mcfatcakes, and most of America's doctors are still devotees of the food pyramid because they had that one nutrition class in the 1980s.

I'm not trying to sell an ideology here, but common sense nutrition in America is fucked