As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Paula Deen] : Evil, Sadistic Monster of a Woman

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    override, I largely agree with you. I just want to add that saturated fat and trans fat have been shown to be worse for you than polyunsaturated fat, also pretty conclusively. This is largely why the fat in, for example, fatty tuna isn't nearly as bad for you on a gram-for-gram basis than butter.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Honestly, Food Network in general is evil. It has as much to do with food as FOX News has to do with journalism, or MTV has to do with music videos.

FN is not about Food, it's about selling corporate consumer culture. The only decent man on the entire network was Alton Brown, and he's gone.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    If you eat a moderate amount of sugar fat's as bad as it has ever been

Sugar at that point acts as the signal to get that whole train working, but fat can easily make up the bulk of the fuel

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Paladin wrote:

Sugar at that point acts as the signal to get that whole train working, but fat can easily make up the bulk of the fuel

There are quite a few people who will argue that it's actually very hard to get a moderate intake of sugar in the US, unless you are explicitly adhering to a whole foods, non-processed diet, because sugar and corn syrup are ubiquitous additives in so much pre-processed food. I find that viewpoint to be compelling.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Feral wrote:
    override, I largely agree with you. I just want to add that saturated fat and trans fat have been shown to be worse for you than polyunsaturated fat, also pretty conclusively. This is largely why the fat in, for example, fatty tuna isn't nearly as bad for you on a gram-for-gram basis than butter.

That has more to do with Omega-3/Omega-6 ratios than anything else. More specifically, it has to do with whether or not the product is the result of industrialization.

Most grain and seed based oils have incredibly high Omega-6 ratios, making them unhealthy. Trans fats are usually made from those same oils, so those are unhealthy as well. Farmed fish that are grain fed are also unhealthy. So are grain fed animals.

OTOH, wild fish and grassfed beef are good for you. Coconut oil and olive oil are pretty neutral.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Honestly, Food Network in general is evil. It has as much to do with food as FOX News has to do with journalism, or MTV has to do with music videos.

FN is not about Food, it's about selling corporate consumer culture. The only decent man on the entire network was Alton Brown, and he's gone.

The only good food show is No Reservations.

It is known.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Paladin wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl9vZYj-aJ4

It's fine in moderation!

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    The schadenfreude in this thread is ridiculous. I don't think theres any celebrity chef that advocates people making flavor (and fat) rich dishes every single night of their lives. If you're sitting at home and thinking every dinner must be a Deen dinner, then you had issues long before Stuffing On a Stick came along. Deen promotes high fat comfort food; that's her schtick - if you somehow were sitting back and thinking this was ok as a daily food regime, that's your problem.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options

It is known.

F-Word, starring Gordon Ramsay.

I once saw a segment titled "The 10 worst supermarkets in Britain."

That would never fly on the Food Network. Ever.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I liked Gordon Ramsay until he made a cartoon of himself. But I guess we all got a eat, eh Gordon?

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    I liked Gordon Ramsay until he made a cartoon of himself. But I guess we all got a eat, eh Gordon?

That's FOX Gordon Ramsay.

I'm talking about the British one.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    ED! wrote:
    The schadenfreude in this thread is ridiculous. I don't think theres any celebrity chef that advocates people making flavor (and fat) rich dishes every single night of their lives. If you're sitting at home and thinking every dinner must be a Deen dinner, then you had issues long before Stuffing On a Stick came along. Deen promotes high fat comfort food; that's her schtick - if you somehow were sitting back and thinking this was ok as a daily food regime, that's your problem.

Sure the tobacco industry sells an addictive and toxic product but it's your fault I you get addicted to it.

Also the tobacco industry now has an arm strictly for the manufacturing of chemo meds.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Feral wrote:
    Paladin wrote:

There are quite a few people who will argue that it's actually very hard to get a moderate intake of sugar in the US, unless you are explicitly adhering to a whole foods, non-processed diet, because sugar and corn syrup are ubiquitous additives in so much pre-processed food. I find that viewpoint to be compelling.

Having been eating low carb for 2 years (except between the months of october and december, from which I am still recovering) I know this

Did you guys know there's corn syrup in 90% or more of breads? There's corn syrup in everything inexplicably, why does beef jerky have fifteen grams of corn syrup in a bag? When I make jerky myself it tastes great and has no corn syrup in it, and only a little teeny bit of sugar (maybe 1-2 grams per piece)

I bet Paula Dean doesn't know (or care)

override367 on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    ED! wrote:

Given that people think CSI is how real life crime investigation works, yeah, there's plenty of people who think that's a daily food diet to adhere to.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    ED! wrote:

Given that people think CSI is how real life crime investigation works, yeah, there's plenty of people who think that's a daily food diet to adhere to.

There will always be stupid people. There are big bold warnings on cigarette packages, yet new smokers STILL pick up a pack and go to town.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Hilarious tweetist Megan Amram found a Paula Deen Cookbook:

http://meganamram.tumblr.com/post/16069488163/paula-deens-health-food-cookbook
    SPARKLING WATER

INGREDIENTS:

1 glass sparkling water

1 ham

DIRECTIONS:

Put ham in water.

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    y2jake215 wrote:
    Hilarious tweetist Megan Amram found a Paula Deen Cookbook:

http://meganamram.tumblr.com/post/16069488163/paula-deens-health-food-cookbook
    SPARKLING WATER

INGREDIENTS:

1 glass sparkling water

1 ham

DIRECTIONS:

Put ham in water.

OMG I am cracking up.
    PAULA’S BROWN RICE

INGREDIENTS:

1 pilaf white rice

1 bowl melted Junior Mints

DIRECTIONS:

Cover rice in chocolate. Serve with maple syrup to taste. To splurge, top with a sprinkle of sausage calzones.

• Options
    516115_o.gif

Paula dean lobster butter soup

Fill pitcher full of clarified butter
    Poach lobster tails in butter
    Strain out lobster tails and discard
    Serves one

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    I agree with ED!

The hysteria in this thread is silly, at best.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Assuran wrote:
    I agree with ED!

I think the OP's assertion that she's an "evil sadistic monster" is over the top.

I think it's fair to say that Paula Deen has made a career out of piggybacking on, and reinforcing, terrible American dietary habits and therefore she deserves many shaming fingers waggled at her.

Feral on

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular

It is known.

Good Eats also gets a pass card

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Good Eats gets all the pass cards everywhere forever

Alton Brown taught me how to make steak correctly, and for that I am his shieldbearer

override367 on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    Assuran wrote:
    I agree with ED!

I think the OP's assertion that she's an "evil sadistic monster" is over the top.

I think it's fair to say that Paula Deen has made a career out of piggybacking on, and reinforcing, terrible American dietary habits and therefore she deserves many shaming fingers waggled at her.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Wait, how bad is sugar for the human body from a typical American diet?

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options

It is known.

Good Eats also gets a pass card

Yes, this was my point.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    wilford brimley will always be the face of diabetes in my book

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Eddy wrote:

It's not good.

How bad is a matter of contention (like most things in nutrition).

At best, added sugar is additional calories (contributing to obesity), triggers insulin resistance (contributing to diabetes), and screws with the body's ability to regulate hunger and satiety.

At worst you have relatively sane knowledgeable people calling sugar a poison.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Feral wrote:
    Eddy wrote:

It's not good.

How bad is a matter of contention (like most things in nutrition).

At best, added sugar is additional calories (contributing to obesity), triggers insulin resistance (contributing to diabetes), and screws with the body's ability to regulate hunger and satiety.

At worst you have relatively sane knowledgeable people calling sugar a poison.

Well the other school of nutritional thought in the 70s, the one that said we should watch out sugar intake, pretty much perfectly predicted America's obesity epidemic. I mean there is a rash of obese babies in lower and lower-middle income households where the only commonality is all the free fruit juice they can drink thanks to WIC. You can't tell me it's just because babies are lazy or something.

Basically we should probably be aiming at about where we were in the 1950s for sugar intake, which was less than half of what teenagers consume today

Edit: that guy eddie mentions has a 90 minute presentation about sugar - cliff notes: Americans eat 10% less calories from fat than they did 10 years ago, however we drink 41% more soda and 35% more fruit juice, meanwhile obesity has gone up by more than 10%. Also as far as your liver is concerned, fructose is poison, and it causes hypertension and all other manner of bad things that I don't really understand fully because It's been forever since I've taken chemistry

override367 on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote:

It's not bad. Like all foods, nothing is had unless taken in excess. Nutritionist reccommend around (different ones say different things I've seen anywhere from 30-50%) 1/3 of your caloric intake to be carbohydrates (which sugar is part of) the issue is is that in terms of density sugar (and fats but you asked about sugar) are high in calories. it doesn't take much for it to quickly add up.

A can of coke with your meal can equate to more sugar you actually be eating for the entire meal.

Additionally sugar consumption creates insulin spikes (which are over a long period associated with diabetes) and when you come off them you get hungry quicker.

I can keep going on about how bad they are, and frankly and I'm not having a go at you but food understanding and culture in general is alarmingly not well understood, and to me, it's a bit depressing.

I'm regards to Paula, she is obviously not evil, but after preaching her "everything is in moderation" lie, and not showing anyone how to cook in moderation it's pretty ridiculous that she gets to profit over her lifestyle which has been now proven to be badly managed.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Blake T wrote:
    Eddy wrote:

It's not bad. Like all foods, nothing is had unless taken in excess. Nutritionist reccommend around (different ones say different things I've seen anywhere from 30-50%) 1/3 of your caloric intake to be carbohydrates (which sugar is part of) the issue is is that in terms of density sugar (and fats but you asked about sugar) are high in calories. it doesn't take much for it to quickly add up.

A can of coke with your meal can equate to more sugar you actually be eating for the entire meal.

Additionally sugar consumption creates insulin spikes (which are over a long period associated with diabetes) and when you come off them you get hungry quicker.

I can keep going on about how bad they are, and frankly and I'm not having a go at you but food understanding and culture in general is alarmingly not well understood, and to me, it's a bit depressing.

I'm regards to Paula, she is obviously not evil, but after preaching her "everything is in moderation" lie, and not showing anyone how to cook in moderation it's pretty ridiculous that she gets to profit over her lifestyle which has been now proven to be badly managed.

I don't think any nutritionist would say a carb is a carb, or argue that sugar adds any value whatsoever to a diet. When they recommend carbs they're generally recommending whole grains, because you get good things like fiber with that (fiber has the added bonus of increasing satiety by taking longer to chew)

Sugar is pretty much not good for you in any quantity, however you're right that small amounts of it aren't harmful, I don't think anyone reputable would defend America's sugar consumption though

override367 on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    That's not really my point. I was really pointing that out to set a base for him to understand the shear mass of sugar that people ingest.

If you have one less can of coke a day the raw conversion numbers means you lose roughly a pound a week.

Sugar is not bad for you. My point is that an excess of it is. Which is the problem.

• Options
    The biggest problem is that sugar heavy food is marketed as "healthy," i.e., fruit juice and yogurt. So even if you're actively trying to stay thin, you're eating a shit ton of sugar. The other day, my friend calls me and says she started eating marshmallow flavored rice cakes, which were supposed to be healthy because they were "fat free." Yeah. Think about that.

And the market loves this, because healthy fats (butter, coconut oil, olive oil, lard) are either relatively expensive and inconvenient, or they have short shelf life. HFCS is cheap, convenient, and lasts forever. The low fat yogurt trend gave them an an excuse to offload all the leftover skim milk from making cream and butter that they used to have a lot of trouble getting rid of.

• Options
    And that comes down to he market being lazy and not reading what they are eating. Or understanding that fat free does not necessarily mean healthy.

• Options
    WrathborneWrathborne Web artist Beside myselfRegistered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote:
    wilford brimley will always be the face of diabetes in my book

Diabeetus-400x458.jpg

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Blake T wrote:
    And that comes down to he market being lazy and not reading what they are eating. Or understanding that fat free does not necessarily mean healthy.

You can't really blaming the consumer for thinking yogurt is healthy, low fat as the end all be all has been drilled nonstop into the public for three decades, most doctors believe it's the be all end all.

Also thanks to this thread I looked up the F word and thanks to things to other things I somehow ended up watching Britain's Really Disgusting Food, and now I'm more glad than ever I shell out the extra few bucks for hotdogs made entirely out of real meat instead of mechanically recovered meat

override367 on
  • Options
    MelinoeMelinoe Registered User regular
    Is anybody in here familiar with The Four Hour Body, and if so, if the food advice in it is any good?

Also @Schrodinger what is this business about grain fed meat being bad? Hadn't heard that before.

• Options
    Basically, omega-3/omega-6 fatty acids needs to be in relative balance to maintain good health.

The problem with modern grain based diets is that grains have astonishingly high levels of Omega-6. And when you feed animals with grain, then those animals will have high levels of Omega-6 (although still lower than if you got your calories from grains and grain based oils directly.). The goal is to do everything you can to decrease omega-6, and everything you can to increase Omega-3. Which reminds me, I need to buy more sardines. Funny thing: Farmed fish doesn't can well, and fresh fish is usually farmed. So on average, canned fish is healthier than fresh fish.

Keep in mind that human agriculture is only about 10,000 years old, and industrial grain and seed oils have only been around recently.

• Options
    You can't really blaming the consumer for thinking yogurt is healthy, low fat as the end all be all has been drilled nonstop into the public for three decades, most doctors believe it's the be all end all.

At the core is an economic problem.

If high fat/low sugar yogurt was cheaper than low fat/high sugar yogurt, then that's what the companies would be selling. They would come up with ad campaigns saying that the calorie difference was minimal, and that fat soluble vitamins were necessary to absorb calcium, and that calcium has been linked to weight loss (all true).

But since milk fat is expensive and HFCS is cheap, guess how they're marketing things?

And of course, it doesn't help when the American Diabetes Association signs sponsorships from Coca-Cola and Cadbury while telling people that people with diabetes can eat just as much sugar as people without diabetes. Which, in America, means a shit load.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Basically, omega-3/omega-6 fatty acids needs to be in relative balance to maintain good health.

The problem with modern grain based diets is that grains have astonishingly high levels of Omega-6. And when you feed animals with grain, then those animals will have high levels of Omega-6 (although still lower than if you got your calories from grains and grain based oils directly.). The goal is to do everything you can to decrease omega-6, and everything you can to increase Omega-3. Which reminds me, I need to buy more sardines. Funny thing: Farmed fish doesn't can well, and fresh fish is usually farmed. So on average, canned fish is healthier than fresh fish.
    Farmed fish cans alright, and they sell canned salmon that has been farmed, however most of the canned fish sold is tuna and sardines, and I don't know of any sardine farms, and tuna farms are relatively new and unproven, and also they farm bluefin because of the cost differential. Also as part of the canning process they cook the fish, a lot so I'm not sure about what that does to the nutritional process. So if it's a question of canned tuna vs fresh tuna, eat fresh tuna. If it's a question of canned tuna vs fresh other fish, the tuna is probably going to be better. I honestly just take a couple of omega three fish oil pills every day.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Rchanen wrote:
    Actually you can get type II diabetes genetically. And its not always controllable. Sometimes it will completely fuck your circulation, eyesight and kidneys. Even with medication. Leaving you a blind amputee on dialysis.

This. I have a family history of diabetes cropping up in males at around the age of 30. Guess what I was diagnosed with last year, about a month before my 31st birthday?

And, for the last 2-3 weeks I've been dealing with kidney issues. Blood and all that. I think it's from small stones, as I have a family history of that, too, and it looks like I actually passed one last week. Neither my blood work or urine test were alarming to my doctor, but he wants me to see a urologist just in case. Yay.
    But I do agree with your fuck Paula Deen analysis.

Also this.