As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

In the market for a car... where do I start researching?

redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfixRegistered User regular
edited January 2012 in Social Entropy++
I had my car hit and totalled a couple weeks ago, and am in the very slow process of saving for a new (to me) car.

I'm in the process of filling bankruptcy as well, so financing is gonna be... difficult. I'm going to plan on paying cash, once it's saved.

However, my question is not how, but what. What car should I get, how do I find the resources to make an informed decision? I have pretty minimal automotive knowledge, but am willing to learn. I had my previous car about a decade, and I never really liked it (Mercury Sable..woo.)

I'd like to get the 'right' car this time.

Help?

redfenix on

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Do you drive...stick?

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Well, start by deciding what your needs are

Driving people around? Probably won't want a coupe

Carrying a lot of crap? Maybe an SUV or a station wagon

Just driving yourself and a couple of people short distances? A small sedan is probably ideal

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    What do you anticipate your price range to be? And what features are the dealbreakers for you (AWD, 4cyl v 6cyl, mileage v fun, # of passengers)?

• EndEnd Registered User regular
    Keith wrote: »
    Do you drive...stick?

sendkeithamessage.png

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    james bond drives an aston martin

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Everyone should get a Reliant Robin.

250px-Reliant_Robin_Green.jpg

Everyone.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    buy a motorcycle

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Edmunds.com

Their car reviews are fairly comprehensive.

There's also some new Yahoo site out there that catalogs all car prices and deals so you can see what it should REALLY cost in your area.

edited January 2012
    Also what *kind* of car do you want? It's good to at least work within a general classification of car. And a year/mile range (since you're paying cash I assume you mean a used car). Compact? Subcompact? Sedan? Coupe? etc, etc

Jasconius on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    If you were Dwyane Wade you would've gotten a free McLaren MP4-12C for your birthday

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah, you gotta have at least a general idea of what you want before you can start researching.

BLM - ACAB
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    edmunds.com is pretty cool.

you can select what type of car you're looking for, narrow it by price, and see inventory in your area.

i think that shit is tied to their reviews too.

mcp on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I want a car that can fly.

Also that folds up into a suitcase for my job at the button pressing factory.

• redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    Well, I have a son, and would ideally like to expand my empire further, so yeah a 4-door is a must.
    I'd take a manual car, but I've never driven one.. not adverse to learning.
    I'd like to prioritize fuel economy, but not to the point of sacrificing everything else
    I'd shoot myself if it didn't have at least a little power behind hit
    when i merge onto the interstate and speed up, I want it to like... go

• AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    I'd suggest going to the grocery store and buying one of those car magazines with a bikini babe on the front.

Then find the picture in the magazine with the most bikini babes on a single car.

That is your new car.

redfenix wrote:

You're looking for a manual tutor? That's perfect!

keith, always the subtlest

I'd suggest going to the grocery store and buying one of those car magazines with a bikini babe on the front.

Then find the picture in the magazine with the most bikini babes on a single car.

That is your new car.

but where oh where am I going to find a 1978 cadillac el dorado in this day and age?

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    I've never really looking into family sized cars but I would say honda and toyota make some solid cars. For fuel you could look into a toyota prius, not sure how much get up and go it has but i've heard its fairly roomy and has good gas mileage

• TefTef Registered User regular
    @chrishallet83 thread...

Ok, so you know next to nothing about cars? Australia has a site called redbook.com.au that is fantastic for working out average prices on second hand cars. Obviously, redbook is no help to you, but a quick bit of googling turned up http://www.autobytel.com/ that seems similar. If you know of any other similar sites over in the US, make good use of them.

I can't really even recommend cars because I don't really know what you're market is like, but there's a few things when you go to inspect. This is certainly not an exhaustive list, but look at:

Is the body free of rust spots? Particularly around the edges of the doors/boot/bonnet.

Does the engine look like it's in good repair? From first glance, you're looking at condition of all hoses, pipes, belts and wires to see if they're perished. It's usually a good indication of good engine maintenance if the fan/timing belts are all in good nick and the radiator hoses aren't perished to shit.

Check the electrics. Head/rear Lights, indicators, power windows (if applicable), dashboards lights including working gauges and air conditioning should all be working.

The car should start easily with no real knocking, rattling or ticking. It shouldn't feel sluggish/rev really high but not move fast taking off if it's an auto and the clutch should feel smooth and natural if manual.

The steering shouldn't feel overly stiff and the car should be able to hold a straight line on a flat road without you correcting it.

It's just a few things that popped into my head, but really the best advice is try to take someone with you who knows what they're doing and never feel rushed while your checking a vehicle over. You're goin to be dropping a size able amount of cash in this, so an extra 10-15mimutes is more than justified

I just though of it then, but maybe there's some kind car club that offer prepurchase inspections? I know such things exist over here

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    redfenix wrote:
    Well, I have a son, and would ideally like to expand my empire further, so yeah a 4-door is a must.
    I'd like to prioritize fuel economy, but not to the point of sacrificing everything else
    I'd shoot myself if it didn't have at least a little power behind hit
    when i merge onto the interstate and speed up, I want it to like... go

I would recommend looking at a Mazda 3. I bought one a couple of months ago and have been totally satisfied with it.

You get:

Above average power for a compact in more recent models
    Responsive handling
    4 doors
    mid to high 20's MPG (unless you get a 2012 which can do up to 40)
    If you find a really nice one, a bunch of electronics

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Neat, Edmunds has a car matcher thingy.

Do this: http://www.edmunds.com/car-match/#action=p

see what you get.

• MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    My corporate sponsors are telling me to say carfax.com

sig1.jpg
    redfenix wrote:
    keith, always the subtlest

I hit hard and I hit fast

• msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    What's your budget?

• HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    69 Dodge Charger

Beats all you ever saw
    Been in trouble with the law
    Since the day they was born

fgeneral-lee-jump.jpg

I have a 2009 Kia Spectra. It's served me well so far. 4 doors, pretty good mileage, goes fast

I got it new for $14k total, but it has a 6 year warranty on everything which is nice

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote:
    @chrishallet83 thread...

Yeah, pretty much.

You're best off listing what you want your vehicle to be able to do, and what you don't like about cars. That'll tell us what type and size of car you want. Stay away from hybrids, they're pretty much universally awful.

Have you considered a diesel? I know diesel passenger cars are pretty rare in the States. But take a diesel for a test drive and see if you like it.

mcp wrote:

see what you get.

This is awesome. Though it told me I should buy a Volvo. Which is wrong.

msuitepyon wrote:
    What's your budget?

i have like no money, i'm starting from scratch, but i've managed to eliminate most of my debt, sorta. (stu loans are still massive, but they won't cost much, monthly)

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Get a 70whatever Pinto

The one that's a death trap

I'll shoot you if you go for the Chevy's, the Ford Fiesta, the Kia Soul, or the Nissan Cube.

On the other hand, the Subaru Impreza is a nice car (with all-wheel drive--very safe). The Nissan Versa is nice and economical. Not much difference between the Hyundai and the Kia (same company)--both are good cars.

Subarus are awesome if you live in a snowy place

Jasconius wrote:
    mcp wrote:

see what you get.

This is awesome. Though it told me I should buy a Volvo. Which is wrong.

According to this, i want a 2012 Hyundai Sonata Sedan

• HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Keith wrote:
    I have a 2009 Kia Spectra. It's served me well so far. 4 doors, pretty good mileage, goes fast

I got it new for $14k total, but it has a 6 year warranty on everything which is nice

Does it have ample storage room for your purse and vagina?

Obligatory (for me) VW whore

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Get a 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California

edited January 2012
    Hunter wrote:
    Keith wrote:

Does it have ample storage room for your purse and vagina?

hunter, this is keith we're talking about

of course it does

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg