As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

In the market for a car... where do I start researching?

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Hunter wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    I have a 2009 Kia Spectra. It's served me well so far. 4 doors, pretty good mileage, goes fast

I got it new for $14k total, but it has a 6 year warranty on everything which is nice

Does it have ample storage room for your purse and vagina?

It's got a decent trunk size and the back seat seems spacious but I've never really been back there

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I'd say go for a Honda or Toyota if possible

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    msuitepyon wrote:
    I'll shoot you if you go for the Chevy's, the Ford Fiesta, the Kia Soul, or the Nissan Cube.

On the other hand, the Subaru Impreza is a nice car (with all-wheel drive--very safe). The Nissan Versa is nice and economical. Not much difference between the Hyundai and the Kia (same company)--both are good cars.

The Fiesta is probably the best car in it's class.

Hyundai and Kia are not the same company.

• redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    I drove the ex's accord plenty, and I do like it, but I didn't want to pigeonhole myself

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    redfenix wrote:
    Jasconius wrote:
    mcp wrote:
    Neat, Edmunds has a car matcher thingy.

Do this: http://www.edmunds.com/car-match/#action=p

see what you get.

This is awesome. Though it told me I should buy a Volvo. Which is wrong.

According to this, i want a 2012 Hyundai Sonata Sedan

That is actually not a bad idea. If you can afford it.

• msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    msuitepyon wrote:
    I'll shoot you if you go for the Chevy's, the Ford Fiesta, the Kia Soul, or the Nissan Cube.

On the other hand, the Subaru Impreza is a nice car (with all-wheel drive--very safe). The Nissan Versa is nice and economical. Not much difference between the Hyundai and the Kia (same company)--both are good cars.

For a growing family, the Fiesta is going to cause growing pains.

Also: observe.

redfenix wrote:
    I drove the ex's accord plenty, and I do like it, but I didn't want to pigeonhole myself

Do you guys get the Accord Euro?

Despite having a four cylinder instead of the six, it is significantly better to drive.

edited January 2012
    msuitepyon wrote:
    msuitepyon wrote:

For a growing family, the Fiesta is going to cause growing pains.

Also: observe.

You can fit two kids in the back of a Fiesta in a snap. Adults, not so much. But kids will be fine.

Also: "As of July 2, 2011, Hyundai owns 49.2% [2] of Kia Motors."

Saying Hyundai and Kia are the same company is like saying Ferarri and Fiat are the same company. Or BMW and Rolls royce. Or Volkswagen and Bugatti.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    off to eat my lunches, back to talk stuff about stuff i don't know anything about later

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I had a 2006 Accord and I did not like the way it drove

If you get a four cylinder Accord it will not accelerate at highway speeds, and I found the handling to be neutral to the point of boredom (which the Euro version probably fixes)

• ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    get a hatchback!

I love my diesel vw golf but when I was shopping around I test drove the new ford focus and Mazda 3 in 5-door hatch versions and both were fun to drive and had plenty of space for my needs (lay the seats down and you can get bike or medium piece of furniture back there)

The Focus and the 3 are supposedly the same car under the surface, since Ford owns both of them.

I assume it's just a question of which one you think looks better/has better options.

Jasconius wrote:

If you get a four cylinder Accord it will not accelerate at highway speeds, and I found the handling to be neutral to the point of boredom (which the Euro version probably fixes)

I have had the opposite experience. The V6 Accord handled sloppily compared to the 4 cylinder (which is an entirely different car here) The 4 also handled freeway traffic just fine. Hell, I could smoke the tyres through second gear...

Jasconius wrote:
    The Focus and the 3 are supposedly the same car under the surface, since Ford owns both of them.

I assume it's just a question of which one you think looks better/has better options.

Nope. Same car class, different platforms and drivetrains.

• VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    I have a 1998 honda civic and I love the car to death. Got it from some guy for only $2700, and it only had 92000 miles on it.

Gonna be sad when it breaks beyond repair.

• tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    gas prices are looking to hit $4.00+ this summer

so i say get the military issue Hummer with single digit mileage

My husband loves his Hyundai Elantra Touring so far

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Hey my first car is gonna probably be a Ford Taurus Wagon from the 90s with like 200K miles on it.

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    tugga wrote:

fuck this goddamn bullshit

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    My parents just sold my 1990 Camaro for $275

I was a little peeved as the t-tops run about $250 each

tugga on
    275???

I would have bought it for 300.

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm pretty happy with my Honda Fit.

BLM - ACAB
    edited January 2012
    Every time I see a Honda Fit I shout "THE FIT IS GO" in a robot voice

usually I drive alone

Jasconius on
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote:
    tugga wrote:

which area is this for?

I mean its bad enough i have a sports car that devours gas like it's cool :(

I bought my 3 last month. I really deeply wanted an RX-8 but I don't know how to drive a stick and I was not going to buy a car that barely understood how to operate. And I certainly wasn't going to get one in automatic.

I would like to buy a very cheap manual car so I can learn and then next time I get a car, get something sporty.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote:
    tugga wrote:

hahahahaha

Oh dear, that is priceless

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I've only tried driving manual twice

The first time was terrible and I stalled and my dad made me switch seats so he could just drive home

The second time I drove my friend's car around the block and actually did pretty well. My main problem was pushing the clutch all the way in since I'm not used to pushing the pedal to the metal

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Huh. The car matcher matched me with my current car.

Then I did it again with selfish options and it had the truck I want as #2.

Cool.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    One time I had to park someone else's Camero and I stalled it about five times before I finally got it to move

• GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    That or your legs are skinny and atrophied.

GRMike wrote:
    That or your legs are skinny and atrophied.

Curse you, Magneto

edited January 2012
    Jasconius wrote:

I have had the opposite experience. The V6 Accord handled sloppily compared to the 4 cylinder (which is an entirely different car here) The 4 also handled freeway traffic just fine. Hell, I could smoke the tyres through second gear...

I thought it was alright, just not amazing. My old Accord and my new Mazda are about 200 pounds apart and 0.1 liters of engine apart, and I felt a measurable difference in acceleration, especially at higher speeds with the Mazda. Maybe that's just a transmission thing? I have only the most basic understanding of what makes cars go fast.

Jasconius on
  • ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    I used to work at edmunds.com. It's a pretty good place, with a ton of car junkies and industry insiders working there. They let the car editors do long-term (> 2 week) reviews of vehicles, and they have a test track where they delve into the engineering and performance of vehicles. I'd trust them with car purchase advice.

no kiddin, cool

• RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote:
    I bought my 3 last month. I really deeply wanted an RX-8 but I don't know how to drive a stick and I was not going to buy a car that barely understood how to operate. And I certainly wasn't going to get one in automatic.

I would like to buy a very cheap manual car so I can learn and then next time I get a car, get something sporty.

I'm actually selling an RX8 right now. It is manual.

What I'm saying is you should buy it.

Also, I just purchased a 2002 Audi A4.
    1.8t
    4 cylinder, Turbo, AWD, 4 doors
    I'm averaging 26 mpg

$6k!

I love my Prius, but speedy it is not

Nor was it cheap

Remington wrote:
    Jasconius wrote:

I'm actually selling an RX8 right now. It is manual.

I wish I could but sadly I am on the sidelines for buying a sports car for a while (how much is it?)

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    You want speed, 20+MPG (HWY is all that matters right? RIGHT.), room for an adult and few children, and reliability? You want an '05/'06 GTO. Or a Mercury Marauder (more room, less go).

If you want a nice 4 door car, I would recommend the Chevy Malibu. I've driven one multiple times (my fiancee's parents own one), and I've liked it. I generally don't enjoy driving front-wheel drive cars, but the Malibu handles well in daily driving, gets good MPGs (their average is somewhere around 28, I've seen regular instantaneous MPG numbers of 37 or 38), and it has a lot of nice features even though it's just the LT trim.

• TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    Learning stick isn't that hard.

sig.png