As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Primary 2012] Romney triumphs in NH, but his campaign is going South (Carolina) from here

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Toldo wrote:
    According to Santorum spokesperson Hogan Gidley, Romney has called Santorum to concede Iowa.

I love this primary season. It's been the most entertaining thing on television since Firefly.

I don't understand this. You got less votes but you want the other person to concede? How...why would you ever think that would be a good idea?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Why isn't the fact that THEY LOST EIGHT DISTRICTS WORTH OF VOTES a bigger deal?

Isn't "one person one vote" and "every vote counts" a big conceit of our form of government.

The CNN story is "we may never know who won Iowa". How the fuck is that good enough for anyone. I'm expecting heads to roll in Iowa's state department (or whoever runs their elections).

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote:
    So has Iowa stopped mattering as far as the GOP primaries are concerned?

newt-and-callista-gingrich-looking-away-cropped-proto-custom_28.jpg

Now Santorum's winning? Yes.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote:
    Toldo wrote:
    According to Santorum spokesperson Hogan Gidley, Romney has called Santorum to concede Iowa.

I love this primary season. It's been the most entertaining thing on television since Firefly.

I don't understand this. You got less votes but you want the other person to concede? How...why would you ever think that would be a good idea?

I think "calling [x] to concede [y]" means that x was the other major competitor in y and you're admitting that you lost. Calling on x to concede y is different.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    That Gingrich effect picture....creepy.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Henroid wrote:
    What's that CNN video? Not in a position to stream. Is it more damning evidence of Newt not really being refined on the whole "family values" thing?

According to Newt's ex-wife he wanted an open marriage.

This is funny since his biggest political rival right now is Mormon. :lol:

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Now Santorum's winning? Yes.

Romney still has the pledged delegates. Of course the caucus doesn't actually count, they have an actual primary late in the season or something and by then we usually have a winner.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    What's that CNN video? Not in a position to stream. Is it more damning evidence of Newt not really being refined on the whole "family values" thing?

According to Newt's ex-wife he wanted an open marriage.

This is funny since his biggest political rival right now is Mormon. :lol:

"Hey Newt, looks like we have something in common!"

• Options

Isn't "one person one vote" and "every vote counts" a big conceit of our form of government.

The CNN story is "we may never know who won Iowa". How the fuck is that good enough for anyone. I'm expecting heads to roll in Iowa's state department (or whoever runs their elections).

It definitely should be a bigger story. Is this a problem a federal government agency should handle? It's clear the Republicans, especially the Iowa branch, are freakishly corrupt.

• Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    Egads, gingrich's wife looks so scary. It's like she's a monster wearing human flesh.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Are the people in charge elected so this is like that one hilariously incompetent person in that recall election?

• Options

It definitely should be a bigger story. Is this a problem a federal government agency should handle? It's clear the Republicans, especially the Iowa branch, are freakishly corrupt.

I feel like federal oversight has some place here. It may be a state primary, but it's for the freaking presidency.

If I were living in one of the districts, I'd get a good old fashioned class action going. The people of Iowa's fundamental rights have been violated.

The fact that it's happened in this primary is just delicious. Infuriating, but delicious.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Couscous wrote:
    Are the people in charge elected so this is like that one hilariously incompetent person in that recall election?

I'm not sure how it works in Iowa. In Florida each county elects a Supervisor of Elections and those are all overseen by our Secretary of State. I imagine Iowa has a similar system.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Pi-r8 wrote:
    Egads, gingrich's wife looks so scary. It's like she's a monster wearing human flesh.

He Stepford Wife'd her. Which is a shame. She looked sane and beautiful in the other photo.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It's something for the RNC to deal with (or not).

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    It's not evidence of any election incompetence on the part of state officials. The Iowa GOP is solely responsible for running the Iowa Caucus.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options

I feel like federal oversight has some place here. It may be a state primary, but it's for the freaking presidency.

If I were living in one of the districts, I'd get a good old fashioned class action going. The people of Iowa's fundamental rights have been violated.

The fact that it's happened in this primary is just delicious. Infuriating, but delicious.

Agreed. I hate brazen corruption being ignored by authorities. The fact they're not even pretending to hide it is worrying.

• Options
    Pi-r8 wrote:

He Stepford Wife'd her. Which is a shame. She looked sane and beautiful in the other photo.

I feel like this goes into his Ego Complex. She looks like a Son'a now and I could see the Grinch pushing her into plastic surgery. Guy's a major scumbag.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    DoctorArch wrote:
    It's not evidence of any election incompetence on the part of state officials. The Iowa GOP is solely responsible for running the Iowa Caucus.

Well, whoever's at fault needs to get their ass got.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Pi-r8 wrote:

I feel like this goes into his Ego Complex. She looks like a Son'a now and I could see the Grinch pushing her into plastic surgery. Guy's a major scumbag.

She's still beautiful, but a pale reflection of what she was. He really is a scumbag for doing that to her.

• Options
    Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular

Iowa doesn't care because they've already wanked themselves into a coma over the whole "we're first! woo!"

/Cheapshot

The rest of the nation is tacitly avoiding talking about it too much because it relates to certain unfortunate implications, such as the fact that winner-takes-all delegates are total horse-hockey but present in a lot of states, the only reason this matters is the primary itself is a sham where only the first 15 states or so ever matter, the primary itself is a pile of undemocratic horse-hockey, and the entire system is broken in multiple places.

• Options
    I don't know what the solution to the Primary Problem is.

I like primaries better than shadowy jerks at the convention at the very least.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Not relevant to the campaign but Gingrich's wife looks terrifying.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    DoctorArch wrote:

Well, whoever's at fault needs to get their ass got.

The modern day GOP rewards incompetence. Sounds like someone's going to get a promotion!

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    dragonsama wrote:
    Mikey CTS wrote:
    Gaddez wrote:
    Interesting that they didn't raise their voice until a democratblack man was in office...

I fixed that for you.

Oh Geez not this again... On my end I was already complaining about bailouts and such under bush. It hit a boiling point when we started doubling the national debt for most people. If it was Bush or Biden or Clinton doing the same thing I think the tea parties would have happened anyway. It has nothing to do with race.

Obama has not doubled the national debt. Not even by a long shot. You are misinformed. And yet not a stink was raised when the debt was massively inflated (I forget the exact figure... what was it? Tripled? Quadrupled?) by Bush? You should not take my joke to mean that all Tea Parties are racists. I do, however, find it incredibly dubious that when a old rich white man (re: Bush) caused the debt to skyrocket no one cared. However, when a black man enters office, before he has had a chance to instated any sort of policy, suddenly the debt is too high! WE TO BRING IT DOWN OR THE WORLD WILL END! OBAMA IS A NAZI!! *ehem*

Excuse me, but I find the timing of the Tea Party's birth (immediately after he entered office) with it's claims to be highly incredulous. I would never claim that all members of the Tea Party are racist. I applaud your progressive views on the topic of race, dragonsama. However the movement you have choosen to tie yourself to is certainly racial-motivated/informed, regardless of your own positions on race.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I don't know what the solution to the Primary Problem is.

I like primaries better than shadowy jerks at the convention at the very least.

Rotating regional primaries. Yeah, you'll get marginally more liberal candidates when New England goes first than when the southeast does, but it ends the tyranny of Iowa/New Hampshire.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The Tea Party complains about taxes despite being in a historically low tax time period. The Tea Party thinks balancing the budget should be done in the middle of a recession. These are their two big things.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    DoctorArch wrote:
    The modern day GOP rewards incompetence. Sounds like someone's going to get a promotion!

Sometimes it's incompetence. But the GOP didn't get where they are today without being competent. That's why I take corruption or suspicious political activity like this with a huge grain of salt when people think or said parties make the incompetence excuse. It's a tactic many Republicans have used for being malicious. It's better to be seen as a buffoon rather than evil.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote:
    newt-and-callista-gingrich-looking-away-cropped-proto-custom_28.jpg

jell-o-pudding-face-ad.jpg

Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    On the Santorum Issue.... I said I would hold my nose to vote for the guy. meaning I find a lot of what things he stands for distasteful (Like the birth control issue, censorship in video games, etc) I agree with him on abortion, Fiscal issues about bringing money back into the US. However he far from an ideal candidate but more reliably conservative than Mitt and not as much of a scumbag as Newt. To be honest though when I say hold my nose I mean that i would rather it be someone else but if I have gun to my head and I have to vote for Santorum or Obama I would vote for Santorum but even then I have a hard time doing so. So I may still wind up voting other for President.

On the Newt issue I find it funny/disgusting listening to Rush trying to defend him. I'm sorry while this may have happened a long time ago it still is not something you can defend.

I also find it interesting that Marianne Gingrich was complaining about Newt cheating on her when he cheated on his first wife with her. I mean what did you think this guy was going to do? Honestly I would not be surprised if he trades Callista in for a new model in a few years.

I think this will be damning to his campaign and again will boost Romney in the end because to many people are looking to "Beat Obama" rather than to their own values. Which of course will lead to Obama winning at the end.

Agreed someone needs to get there and find out what the hell is going on. I am scared to think how many people will not have their voices heard. This should not happen and charges need to be filed.

Artoria on
  • Options
    Pi-r8 wrote:

She's still beautiful, but a pale reflection of what she was. He really is a scumbag for doing that to her.

Key word is looked sane. She worked for and hooked up with him while on his congressional staff. Amusingly I had forgotten that she was Catholic, and the impetus for his conversion.

I doubt she needed much encouragement to go under the knife, her eyes are contact blue'd, as the third "thief" in the line of "husband-stealing hussies" (*eyeroll*) she knows on some instinctive level that she has to work hard to keep him from being "stolen" again, since that is what stray dogs like him do. It's basically the same primitive animalistic mating patterns Newt and a lot of religious hypocritical primitivists fall into.

At times I feel sorry for her, but then I remember she CHOSE to marry a serial philanderer and she CHOSE to transform herself into a bird splicer.

CAW CAW!

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The tea party is an outlet of frustration for a lot of people. They after the fact fabricate whatever to be frustrated about, but really they are just an interest group where their common interest is being frustrated.

Most of them are probably not racist, because most of them probably don't know what they're frustrated about. Blaming other people though, is a reliably easy way to feel better about oneself. That's why it's popular.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Honk wrote:
    The tea party is an outlet of frustration for a lot of people. They after the fact fabricate whatever to be frustrated about, but really they are just an interest group where their common interest is being frustrated.

Most of them are probably not racist, because most of them probably don't know what they're frustrated about. Blaming other people though, is a reliably easy way to feel better about oneself. That's why it's popular.

The thing about the Tea Party is that the people who fund it use racist language and play up on people's opinions to gain influence. I don't think for a second that most Teapers are racists, but when Newt Gingrich or Rick Santorum can use the language they use about African Americans you've gotta take a look at why.

It's an insidious form of racism, the kind that doesn't even seem like racism at first.

I don't hate the Tea Party, I feel sorry for them.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Boring7 wrote:
    gingrich_effect.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Boring7 wrote:
    Key word is looked sane. She worked for and hooked up with him while on his congressional staff. Amusingly I had forgotten that she was Catholic, and the impetus for his conversion.

Sane was probably the wrong word. Having spirit? That there was life behind those eyes I could respect. Now she's got eyes like a shark's.
    I doubt she needed much encouragement to go under the knife, her eyes are contact blue'd, as the third "thief" in the line of "husband-stealing hussies" (*eyeroll*) she knows on some instinctive level that she has to work hard to keep him from being "stolen" again, since that is what stray dogs like him do. It's basically the same primitive animalistic mating patterns Newt and a lot of religious hypocritical primitivists fall into.

True. But I'm sure Newt didn't try to talk her out of it. If she had low self esteem that's opening herself up to plastic surgery addiction which I wouldn't want her to go through, even if we're political opposites.

She may be a gold digger, yet I can't blame her for that. He's a much bigger scumbag with all the power.
    At times I feel sorry for her, but then I remember she CHOSE to marry a serial philanderer and she CHOSE to transform herself into a bird splicer.

CAW CAW!

I can understand why you wouldn't be sympathetic to her. She did go into the marriage willingly.

• Options
    Can we get off of Grinch's wife? Her looks have nothing to do with the primary (outside of the way Gingrich treats his "loved ones" and how that shows his character).

We lower ourselves by focusing on how she looks.

What's everyone's predictions for tonight's debate?

I'm guessing Romney gets flustered by Santorum. A lot. Tricky Ricky has shown that he can get under Mitten's skin and the Ripper is not good at dealing with people who disagree with him.

I think Gingrich will inflate his own importance, probably relying on his old standard of attacking the media.

Ron Paul will say something stupid and no one will call him on it (actually, this one's probably going to happen for all of them).

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Honk wrote:

In that case I can see a cross-over between them and the white supremists, KKK and Neo-Nazi crowds. They'd love that atmosphere.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Honk wrote:
    Not relevant to the campaign but Gingrich's wife looks terrifying.

I've said it before, but she looks like Jack Nicholson's Joker.

• Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    Ron Paul will say something stupid and no one will call him on it (actually, this one's probably going to happen for all of them).

He won't get much of a chance given that he'll get only one chance to speak during the whole debate.

• Options
    dragonsama wrote:
    ...I agree with him on abortion, Fiscal issues about bringing money back into the US. However he far from an ideal candidate but more reliably conservative than Mitt and not as much of a scumbag as Newt...

Okay, something positive. You agree with him on Abortion, since EVERY GOP candidate is "pro-life" that means...nothing. A quick googling says the only difference is Romney used to be pro-choice and prefers state bans to federal bans. Fiscal issues? He voted to continue subsidizing the outsourcing and offshoring of business so either he doesn't understand what his votes do or he is bad for business.

What else do you agree with Santorum on?

This discussion has been closed.