As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PATV] PA: The Series, Season 3, Episode 10 - PA Presents

Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
edited January 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Some guy.
Robert Khoo on

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    The 4th Panels had to end some time. But this is still glorious! :D

So was
    Zelda SS
    the Super Secret Project?

Also Jerry's auction style was great. <3

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    Mike at the end.

ohmygod

• KhelekKhelek Registered User new member
    Wow, that had me tearing up at the end.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    That bit at the end plastered the biggest grin on my face. Just seeing how much people love Mike's work and how much that affected him is quite something

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Khelek wrote:
    Wow, that had me tearing up at the end.

Same here, but then I get a little misty whenever Child's Play is mentioned, so that was kinda a freebie.

• RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    Great episode - how many more shows in the season?

My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • MaigaardMaigaard Registered User regular
    d'aaaaaw Mike!

• ChuckWNelsonChuckWNelson Registered User new member
    You can definitely see how much Mike puts his heart and soul into his work.

And Erika's new hair is very amazing. I think Seattle is becoming of her.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    :^: Erika's glasses

• t4stywh34tt4stywh34t Registered User new member
    This was one of my favorite episodes. If I had that much money, I would've kept the bidding going!

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Considering that Zelda Skyward Sword has become one of my favorite games, ever, it was incredible to see the comic you guys did. The wait between pages was killer, and I loved each one. Just incredible work and I hope that perhaps it has sweetened Nintendo on you guys a bit to allow for future projects.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • AshokaAshoka A Hub subforum that works? Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Holy fuck. Erika in glasses.

Edit: Side note - This thread only got moved to The Hub just now, didn't it?

Ashoka on
    WNskB.jpg
  • WaynerWayner Registered User new member
    I have been following Penny Arcade for a few years now, trying to catch the strip as soon as it's up and lamenting the days in between, because there is just something about these two characters that speak to me and the entire consumer network of this industry that always lifts my day. PATV has just been an incredible success and really adds depth to everyone there at the office in a way that allows me and others as users to connect with you guys as a community, to discover some inkling of who you people are. It's episodes like this one that really show just how dedicated and completely enveloped in this passion this group is. The moment at the end where Mike is just so overwhelmed by his success, by Child's Play's success is incredibly powerful. Through PATV I feel as if you are truly connecting to your user base as you shed light on the shadows of your troubled past, common experiences shared by many in this community. To see Mike overcome with emotion as the bidding raises on his work brought tears to my eyes as all those years of turmoil come together, almost redeemed. The satisfaction of being where you are now and using your gifts to do something as special as Child's Play, seeing that is truly amazing. Thank you and everyone at Penny Arcade for bringing that all the way here to my home, it really is a pleasure.

• DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    Ashoka wrote:
    Holy fuck. Erika in glasses.

I noticed that too.

I wonder if she genuinely needs them, or if she is copying the OP.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    To defeat Khoo, she must become Khoo.

Oh brilliant
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    To defeat Khoo, she must become Khoo.

Oh man. Now I'm getting all nostalgic for the hide-the-bottle episodes. I wonder if we'll get any more pranks this season?

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    the Skyward Sword comic actually gave me goosebumps, which I never get from comics

I always like when G&T take on serial strips like PA Presents or Automata

PNk1Ml4.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    It really must be amazing to

1. Work on something you're so passionate about
    2. Using a skill you've developed your whole life
    3. to universal acclaim
    4. have people value the work so highly
    5. have that value put directly to helping sick kids

It's like a perfect storm of emotion.

• IgortIgort Registered User regular
    Mike wrote on Titter:
    @cwgabriel wrote:
    Check out today's patv and see me cry like a baby

Had me tearing up as well.

Erika looks rad, too. :P

• BohveyBohvey Registered User new member
    I don't think I've ever posted in the forums before but I just wanted to say... I got goosebumps when Mike was working on the art and then again during the auction. Nicely done, you guys are an amazing group of individuals.

• John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    I definitely uttered a wholly involuntary "Way to go, buddy!" at the last scene. It's like we were watching the validation of a man's career and dreams in the space of a few moments.

• Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Ok yeah, that was fucking heart-warming, I was getting a lump in my throat just watching Mike at the end there. All the acclaim, the years of being the webcomic (not just for gaming) etc... and he still seems to affected by how much people love his art.

Oh and yes, Erika's new hair / glasses work very well for her.

Venkman90 on
  • DaltonCarlDaltonCarl Registered User regular
    edited September 2013

DaltonCarl on
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    Durkhanus wrote:
    I noticed that too.

For the record (and I'm assuming you're referring to Mike and Jerry's Season 2 DVD Commentary), I actually DO need glasses. I had laser eye surgery back in 2000 and did not need glasses for some time, but in the last 3-4 years my eyes have essentially gone to shit again.

Some guy.
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Easily one of my favorite episodes. I gotta give it to vantage point. That auction scene is incredibly shot, and the amount of emotion that comes out of Mike is fantastic.

Love the comic, love the episode, love the show. Don't stop.

Durkhanus wrote:
    I noticed that too.

For the record (and I'm assuming you're referring to Mike and Jerry's Season 2 DVD Commentary), I actually DO need glasses. I had laser eye surgery back in 2000 and did not need glasses for some time, but in the last 3-4 years my eyes have essentially gone to shit again.

That's really a shame.

KoopahTroopah on
  • GgrecoGgreco Maker of Arts Seattle, WARegistered User, Administrator, Penny Arcade Staff staff
    I've also needed glasses since I was two. Sometimes I don't wear my contacts and this is just the first time it happened to occur on a day we were filming. They are not just empty lensed hipster glasses, haha. I have truly horrible vision.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I've also noticed that the Zelda comic isn't on the Penny Arcade Presents link off the homepage?

• Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    Yeah, we're slow to update that page. Sorry. There are a few we're missing on there.

Some guy.
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Your eyes wouldn't have shriveled so quickly if you stopped playing so many video games, Khoo.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    If laser eye surgery didn't keep, the next logical step is laser-eye surgery.

• mnihilmnihil Registered User regular
    First of all, I've been a sporadic Penny Arcade reader at best, but PATV is what really got my attention, let alone made me register and post here.

Mrs Sadsad, you were a super gorgeous bride (didn't get to mention that in the thread about that episode but wanted to say it) and your new hairstyle's great.

About the episode: Being an aspiring artist myself, shivers literally ran down my spine watching the bids go up and up - and that was before the tears in Mike's eyes. It's moments like these that make PATV so great. I'm still excited. Now if only the barrage of 4th Panels would cease...

• UltimatheChosenUltimatheChosen Registered User new member
    Yeah, we're slow to update that page. Sorry. There are a few we're missing on there.
    Also, it's worth noting that the 4th page of the Heroes of Might and Magic comic is missing. You can get there by editing the URL, but there's no direct link to it.

There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.
  • Mike FehlauerMike Fehlauer Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I was going to write a heart-felt thank you to Wayner's thoughtful note, but then read Falx's post and my half-composed reply was destroyed by a LOL. It's difficult to write sincerely when you're picturing your buddy with laser-eyes, setting the office on fire with every glance.

Mike Fehlauer on
    edited January 2012
    Brain-blast! Do an X-Men tribute with the Penny Arcade cast. Khoo can be Cyclops, Fehlauer can be Gambit, and Erika can be Jubilee. I have no idea what the rest of them can be.

KoopahTroopah on
  • MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    Amazing episode, really loved the music. Job well done by Vantage Point. It's very inspiring to see Mike, even after years of success and praise, still able to be humbled and validated by appreciation for his talent. Chalk another one up in the lumpy throat column for me.

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    This episode is like the equal and opposite reaction to the basketball story.

• IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    In my mind, laser-eye surgery is just like laser eye surgery, but it's performed by GlaDOS.

• KozalityKozality Koz and Effect TorontoRegistered User regular
    Most of what I would have said has been said, so let me just add that it is incredible to witness someone so talented in his craft become so humbled by seeing how much people adore his work and cause. I know Mike doesn't read the forums but this seems like the best place to say that the $5000 would be worth every penny, that person got a deal. This episode managed to put into perspective exactly what I already knew about PA, so thanks to everyone at PA for the continuing years of laughter and inspiration from a lifelong fan.

KozalitySig.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I have had glasses since I was 9-10 and I can't stand contacts. I've occasionally thought about getting laser surgery, but I have this paranoid fear which goes something like this...it's only been, what, 15 years at most since laser eye surgery was at all a commonly available thing, right? What if 20-25 years down the road, all the people who got laser surgery start suffering from some horrible unforeseen complication/side-effect, like they go completely blind? It doesn't pay to be an early adopter, I tell you! By the time I feel laser surgery is "safe" I'll be old and blind anyway. :P
    Please note I said the above was a paranoid fear, as in irrational, and I am sure it is completely contradicted by all extant evidence and medical science.

• DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular

Ah, that sucks. And yes, it was a reference to the commentary.

Man, they ripped on you pretty good over the eyeglasses. Gave me a good laugh at the time.
    Gaslight wrote:
    I have had glasses since I was 9-10 and I can't stand contacts. I've occasionally thought about getting laser surgery, but I have this paranoid fear which goes something like this...it's only been, what, 15 years at most since laser eye surgery was at all a commonly available thing, right? What if 20-25 years down the road, all the people who got laser surgery start suffering from some horrible unforeseen complication/side-effect, like they go completely blind? It doesn't pay to be an early adopter, I tell you! By the time I feel laser surgery is "safe" I'll be old and blind anyway. :P

Please note I said the above was a paranoid fear, as in irrational, and I am sure it is completely contradicted by all extant evidence and medical science.

I wouldn't say it is truly an irrational fear. It is, after all, your fucking eyes, and I read up on a story a few days ago about people who had implants stuck over top of their irises to change their eye colour. A few years later, and they are almost completely blind after developing issues like glaucoma and having multiple surgeries.

I wear glasses myself. I've tried contacts, but decided to use my glasses because:

A: My glasses have saved my eyes multiple times over by deflecting objects travelling at high speed, and some large stationary things that I've run into by accident.

B: The first time I gave contacts a serious go, which was for my wedding, I ended the night desperately digging under my eyelids for 15 minutes while half blind, because the contact had folded up in half and slid underneath my eye when I was removing it. The pain was incredible, and at first I couldn't tell if it had gone underneath my upper or my lower eyelid. When I finally managed to spot it stuck beneath my lower eye lid, my attempts to pull it out were met with failure as it kept slipping away and heading further down underneath my eyeball.

I've only worn contacts once since then, and the difficulty I had with putting them on and taking them out, in addition to the event related above, I decided it wasn't worth going through just so I could wear fancy sunglasses.