As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Deadlight: running right onto XBLA TODAY it is now up!

darleysamdarleysam On my way toUKRegistered User regular
edited August 2012 in Games and Technology
title.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl16kCu0_uA&feature=player_embedded

Who by? Tequilla Works, a ragtag band of experienced developers from Madrid, who've done plenty of things for other studios, and are now making their own damned game.

Who for? So far, it's being published by Microsoft and will be coming out on Live Arcade, expected this summer. I suppose a possible Summer Of Arcade candidate, then.

Why should I look forward to it? Because from what little information is known about it so far, it looks pretty neat. Yes it ticks a lot of Modern Video Game boxes (post-apocalyptic, zombies, shooting things, 'dead' in the title), but it also looks to have shades of Shadow Complex and the lovely visuals of War of the Worlds (without the awful game, we hope!), and they're emphasizing a focus on puzzles and horror/survival over being the solution to all life's problems. Did you watch that video? Don't you want to play that?

screen01.jpg

screen02.jpg

screen03.jpg

More information will be added as it appears.

forumsig.png
darleysam on

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Well the tone and atmosphere look good.

Look forward to seeing more from it.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I get a bit of a Half-Life 2 feel off the screenshots. I also really want to say The Road, even though it really looks nothing like The Road.

forumsig.png
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Oh my

I could cut glass with my nipples right now. Post-apocalyptic zombie Shadow Complex? I believe Phillip J. Fry says it best.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Looks neat, can't wait til it's on sale for 600 points next xmas.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Post-apocalyptic zombie Shadow Complex?

You have aquired Panic Like a Little Bitch! *upgrade music*

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Cantido wrote:
    Skull2185 wrote:

Since Shadow Complex was the tale of how Nathan Drake became Iron Man in a bid to rescue his girlfriend from Cobra Commander, I can only wonder what story this will tell.

forumsig.png
    Eurogamer have a preview!
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-14-deadlight-preview-xblas-shining-light
    If you had any lingering doubts about whether Cormac McCarthy really is this year's zombies, then let Deadlight solemnly persuade you that it's The Road rather than Romero that's currently foremost in gaming's collective consciousness. You'll see the novel's influence in Naughty Dog's The Last of Us, and you'll have seen it in Ubisoft Shanghai's surprisingly coherent view of a post-apocalyptic world, I Am Alive.

And you'll see it again this summer in Deadlight, one of the brightest propositions in store for Xbox Live Arcade, and quite possibly the sparkling gem in this year's Summer of Arcade. It helps that in many ways, Deadlight brings to mind two previous summer beaus on the 360's download service, Limbo and Shadow Compex, with its side-scrolling 2D gameplay that's told with a strong artistic bent.

Deadlight's set against a post-apocalyptic backdrop that's riddled with the walking dead. It's a scenario whose weary familiarity is countered with often breathtaking art design, its lighting veering towards monochrome while its ambiance lays on a thick, melancholic horror. (Spanish developer Tequila Works comprises many ex-MercurySteam staff, and the quality of both Jericho and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow seems to have carried across with them.)

It all kicks off in a Seattle that's been bearing the brunt of a viral outbreak, before embarking on a tour of a destroyed mid-80s Northern America. It's an America made up of beaten-down warehouses washed in thick yellow light, of crumbling alleyways and rickety rooftops.

What's truly impressive is how Tequila Works has brought this oppressive locale to life, managing to inject an incredible amount of depth into a game that's played on a strictly 2D plane. Vistas stretch far into the distance, while the camera will occasionally pan to draw attention to another story that's unfurling in the backdrop; a group of survivors making free in a stolen ambulance, or a flock of birds that shoot up from an abandoned traffic jam. This is a 2D platformer with a keen sense of cinema.

It's a borrowed cinema, but it's been borrowed well and furnished with some other, more surprising influences. Lead Randall Wayne is a park warden with a mysterious past and more than a passing resemblance to Viggo Mortensen, but with his lithe leaps his real ancestors are Flashback's Conrad B. Hart and Another World's Lester Chaykin.

Deadlight takes the platforming and puzzling of those '90s classics, but more importantly it also shares their sense of isolation. Randall's utterly alone, picking through the flotsam of the catastrophe that's struck the earth and often finding himself ill-equipped to deal with the undead swarm that's in his path.

Combat doesn't seem to be the norm in Deadlight, and aside from one satisfying encounter told through the business end of an axe it's often best to simply flee when faced with the enemy. To that end there's some wonderful staging on Tequila Works' behalf, escapes being timed perfectly so that the rotting fingernails of your assailant will be scraping at your coattail just as you break free.

The environment's a threat as well as an ally, though. In one abandoned car park, a small pool of water can be charged with electricity, allowing you to beckon the undead and lead them towards their own demise. Elsewhere, in the bowels of a dusty garage, a car can be sent crashing down on the crowd of zombies that waits below.

It's simple stuff, but at each turn Tequila Works pulls you further into its world, and in the stumbling and heaving of Randall's animation it reminds you of your vulnerability. Deadlight's a zombie game, but in its nature it's more of a Frankenstein, cobbled together from classics old and not so old. It's been cobbled together with a real sense of craft, too, and it's Tequila Works' impressive artistry that makes this more than just another post-apocalyptic romp.

forumsig.png
    Ooooh, that sounds good.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Sounds promising, when does summer of arcade run?

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    darleysam wrote: »
    Cantido wrote:
    Skull2185 wrote:

Since Shadow Complex was the tale of how Nathan Drake became Iron Man in a bid to rescue his girlfriend from Cobra Commander, I can only wonder what story this will tell.

I wanted him to turn evil and hunt down his dipshit father. Old man probably had a hand in him hooking up with that spook chick.

Make your son enlist. What a dick.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Sounds promising, when does summer of arcade run?

Late July-ish/early August. I think.

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Do they have any gameplay footage up?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)

I've not seen anything beyond the trailer, which just shows a run and a jump. That's only valid 'gameplay footage' to interest people if the game in question is Mario.

forumsig.png
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular

I've not seen anything beyond the trailer, which just shows a run and a jump. That's only valid 'gameplay footage' to interest people if the game in question is Mario.
    Destructoid just put up a short gameplay video, looks pretty good. Very run and hide, hope they don't see you. Looks pretty interesting to me.

Holy shit, this game is looking friggin great...

It looks like Limbo + Shadow Complex + Zombies. I rarely have one XBLA game that I Must have and now I got three.

Deadlight, Minecraft and Rock Band Blitz. Its gonna be a good Summer 2012!

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Was War of the Worlds terrible? I enjoyed the demo (very wonky animation though) but I'm a sucker for any 2D games that resemble Another World/Flashback.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    That trailer looks fantastic.

forumsig.png
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Was War of the Worlds terrible? I enjoyed the demo (very wonky animation though) but I'm a sucker for any 2D games that resemble Another World/Flashback.

War of the Worlds is super awful.

I liked the demo too, enough to buy the full game. Then they pull the bait and switch on you, and you're stuck with a terrible platformer.

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Saw videos of this yesterday, looks great, will definitely buy.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Looks interesting, but, man, that trailer VA was pretty bad.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Looks interesting, but, man, that trailer VA was pretty bad.

It's like Steve Blum's Steve Blum by Steve Blum.

• Pork!Pork! Registered User regular
    War of the Worlds has Patrick Stewart, that's more than enough reason to enjoy a small portion of the game. If you can get someone else to play it while you listen that is.

This game is the first Arcade title that I'm properly excited for in a long time now, hope it lives up to my expectations (it won't because my expectations are stupid)

steam_sig.png
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

It has a few cool moments but overall, it's not a very good game.

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I'd love for a war of the worlds game (or film) to be set in the original era.

Regardless of it being shit, I may end up buying it. There are too few 2d platformers like it nowadays. There are only so many times I can play Another World/Flashback/Heart of Darkness.

It'll have to tide me over till Deadlight is released.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    Just to make the next 6 days even more grueling, here's this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ1gSlN2eK0

Can't wait!

Left 4 Limbo Complex. Looking forward to thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis.

forumsig.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Finally! Maybe Summer of Arcade will be salvaged yet. Deadlight looks amazing, and there's still Dust.

Really looking forward to this

Does the artwork in the comic-style cutscenes remind anyone else of Infamous?

• AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the reminder thread title! Looking forward to getting home from work on Wednesday now. What time does XBLA update for us UK folks normally?

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
    Not sure precisely when, but I'd expect it'll be available sometime after 12pm GMT, at a rough guess?

forumsig.png
    Not sure precisely when, but I'd expect it'll be available sometime after 12pm GMT, at a rough guess?

Good enough, I'll be in work all day.

steam_sig.png
    Adda wrote: »

Good enough, I'll be in work all day.

Same here, will try to get it downloaded during the day so I can try it when I get home.

forumsig.png
    steam_sig.png
    I understand some people will want more than that, but Limbo was not long, and is one of my all-time favourite games. It's the feel of the characters and the atmosphere of the world that captivates me, and I'm expecting Deadlight to do the same thing.

forumsig.png
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    There's "not long," and then there's "2 hours long," which is in a whole different league.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    Apparently he only counted in-game completion time. Someone in the comments said it took them "2 and a half hours" in-game, but 6 hours real-time. So... better?

steam_sig.png
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    I'll wait until I hear some impressions about the length before getting it then.

• Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    This is getting some extremely mixed reviews.

The negative reviews rag harshly on the supposedly frustrating controls, namely it's tendancy to demand pixel perfect jumps and make that jump look downright impossible should you miss. The positive reviews skirt around that issue entirely, some blaming any control issues on the individual player.

Also, it apparently starts off strong in act 1, but the later acts leave much to be desired. Again... an issue not raised in positive reviews.

I guess this is why we have multiple review sites, but it's been awhile since I've seen such wildly varying reviews. Usually I'm all aboard the zombie train... I guess I'll wait till some PAer's pick it up before I decide.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    There's a Quick Look up at Giant Bomb. It, with the early reviews, killed off my anticipation. The voice work is not really great. I mean, it's not terrible, but...I'm sure it'll be a solid, if unremarkable game and I'll just wait and pick it up for $5 in a year or so.

Medium Dave on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Damn, that quick look killed all my enthusiasm for this

Gentlemen, this may be the very worst Summer of Arcade

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    This Summer of Arcade has easily been the worst.

Anyone who bought Deadlight - spoil the plot for me, please. I keep reading how incredible awful the 3rd act is, and I'm really, really curious.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow