As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Multimedia Keyboard No Longer Controls Stuff

I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatnessstarlight at my feetRegistered User regular
edited January 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a gigabyte GK-K6800 multimedia keyboard, and none of the shortcut buttons work, or the volume wheel, or the pause/play, stop, and skip buttons.

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the device to no avail.

I also sent in a ticket to Gigabyte but I wanna explore all my options here.

lfYVHTd.png
I Win Swordfights on

• RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    The installation package probably installed a small app to your program files directory, and that app should be launching on startup (the app is what monitors the buttons and fires the appropriate command on press). Check to see if the app executable is in your process list, and additionally you can check your msconfig to see if it's in the Startup section and is still active (checked).

• I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Ruckus wrote:
    The installation package probably installed a small app to your program files directory, and that app should be launching on startup (the app is what monitors the buttons and fires the appropriate command on press). Check to see if the app executable is in your process list, and additionally you can check your msconfig to see if it's in the Startup section and is still active (checked).

@Ruckus sorry for the late reply, but thanks for trying to help

There's no process running, and nothing in the msconfig startup tab, that pertain to my keyboard or media or anything of the sort.

My keyboard is driverless, it's listed as a feature, so uninstalling drivers does absolutely nothing. I'm really not quite sure what to do about it.

I submitted a ticket to gigabyte but they just sent me warranty information.

It's not an issue with the keyboard.

Apparently my little brother wanted to install a custom windows theme so he patched a few of my system32 files, including explorer.exe and explorerframe.dll

That's probably the reason it's all borked now, but my earliest system restore is the night after he did it. I still don't know how to fix it, even though I've restored my theme files and gotten a clean explorer.exe and explorerframe.dll

lfYVHTd.png
  • ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    Repair install windows, perhaps? What version are you running?

8R7BtLw.png
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Yeah I just reinstalled windows. Turns out I was also unable to install any programs so I just decided to wipe it all.

lfYVHTd.png