As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ratatouille

• Options
    TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Saw it on Friday, thought it was fantastic. The story was all around very solid, if not overly original. I loved the scenes with the critic, particularly when he takes his first bite of the food (I nearly fell out of my chair laughing). The voice acting was perfection, as I've come to expect from Pixar. Pick the right person for the job, not the right person to help sell the movie. The one thing that had me worried about Cars was when they started advertising the voice actors' names. Thankfully, it didn't get in the way.

To me, the true measure of a technically demanding scene is whether you noticed it was technically demanding or not. Every scene where Remy is scampering through a larger-than-life world were simply astounding. The sewer, the kitchen, the house. Fantastic, each and every one.

I also loved how the trailers took scenes from the movie, used the voices, and replaced the scenery. I thought it was a clever way to not give anything away ahead of time, but still draw the viewer in to the story.

TheMarshal on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't understand how anyone can like Finding Nemo, it wasn't enjoyable or funny at all. bleh.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What's it like living with no soul?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    What's it like living with no soul?

Pretty liberating.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Interruption here. If you don't know Patton aside from this movie, you need to go buy his comedy albums right fucking now. The man is hilarity incarnate.

NOW!

Hells yes. Get 222 if you can; it's his first album, but the performance is uncut. He also has a new album going out on the 10th, and you better be-fucking-lieve I'm going to pick that thing up.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    Zeeb!Zeeb! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This movie was really good. It wasn't Toy Story, or The Incredibles, but I definitely liked it more than, say, Finding Nemo. Probably my third favorite Pixar flick, all things considered.

Zeeb! on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I loved it, and I also loved the trailer for Wall-e. Made me really want to see it, for some reason.

I am of the firm belief that Pixar cannot make a bad movie. I've loved everything they've ever done and they are my favourite movie studio.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Pixar got my soul a long time ago, not they're just getting equity out of my ticket prices.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Pixar's really good at making instantly-likeable characters. I went to the 10:05 show since I didn't want to deal with kids. The theater was similarly filled with a lot of 20somethings who didn't want to deal with kids. Anyway, Wall-e was on-screen for approximately two seconds before every girl in the theater whispered "oh my god that's the cutest little robot I've ever seen" to their significant other. It was nuts. I didn't even have time to process it all. And then he talked, and the giggling started. Well done, Pixar!

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I liked Skinner eating the food at the end, and trying to be mad but still loving the food.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I liked Skinner eating the food at the end, and trying to mad but still loving the food.

You know, you really have to see a bad CG movie to comprehend this (I suggest Happily N'Ever After, fucking terrible), but the animated characters are really, really good actors. They put so much detail into the facial features, the eyes, the body language, it's like watching a young Marlon Brando or maybe an Edward Norton playing every single solitary character on the screen.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Stuff I should not say out loud

Goddammit, spoiler that.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    (I suggest Happily N'Ever After, fucking terrible)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHMk-ZpwQMI
    Indeed.

Couscous on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I liked Skinner eating the food at the end, and trying to be mad but still loving the food.

OMG spoiler.

It's a pixar movie. How was I to guess that it would have a happy and entertaining ending?

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    _J_ wrote: »

OMG spoiler.

It's a pixar movie. How was I to guess that it would have a happy and entertaining ending?

It could have been a violent confrontation or a contest or a humiliation/takeover.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »

OMG spoiler.

It could have been a violent confrontation or a contest or a humiliation/takeover.

Or someone could have reamed one of the mice up the ass with a hydrolic dildo.

If anyone could make that cute, Pixar could.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Or someone could have reamed one of the mice up the ass with a hydrolic dildo.

If anyone could make that cute, Pixar could.

I think that was one of the cut scenes from Mouse Trap.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Stuff I should not say out loud

Goddammit, spoiler that.

It isn't major plot point in any way.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This movie made me depressed.

I love Pixar too much.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I had the same reaction with the Wall-E trailer as others: I actually choked up.

It was like, you're watching this cute little robot, and all of a sudden he looks up at the sky and sees the stars, like it is the first time he's ever seen them. His eyes don't change at all, but I've convinced myself that it appears that they're watering, like he's crying because it's so beautiful.

One of the things I love about Pixar is that they're not trying to be hyper-realistic, instead they understand computer animation as an art form, and have fully grasped the concept of bringing 2d animation to a 3d world. They could care less about the amount of fully detailed rivets on their characters (Robots) or the amount of freckles on their heroine (Shrek). Basically, if extra detail helps, they'll go with it, and not the other way around. I love how exaggerated the humans were, they looked like cartoons, 3d animated cartoons sure, but cartoons. And for some reason, I find them more natural looking than other 3d animated people where realism is the defining factor.

Oh yeah, I loved this movie.

I killed him, with my this thumb.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Usually I'd say that the premise of a rat who cooks has all the charm of Flushed Away, but for some reason I find this movie attractive.

Shinto on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

OMG spoiler.

Or the Nazis could have come.

jothki on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This movie was So Good. I loved the short at the beginning, I could not stop laughing. The Wall-E trailer was perhaps the most touching 5 seconds of animation I've ever seen. I'd watch it based on that alone.

When I was a little kid, about 7-8 I think, some friends of ours from church who were pretty well of and technophiles had a laserdisc player. I only remember 3 of the discs. One was sort of the technological demo disc for the player. The second was Princess Bride. The third, I don't remember if was actually it's own disc, or part of one of the other two, but it had the first Pixar short on it. The one with the lamp that is now part of their logo. This was still probably 4-5 years before Toy Story I think. I had no idea the importance of it at the time.

For the past few years, Ghibli has been my favorite animation studio, but it really says something, when my other favorite not only looks to Miyazaki's work for inspiration, but is responsible for the fact that we actually have good US releases of his movies. Some people are just good at making Art.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It was actually good. I took my little sister and four (ugh) of her little kid friends to see it. I think it might have been a little long for them, but I thought it was perfect. I thought the whole thing with
    visualizing the food
    was pretty awesome, almost as awesome as he one scene with the last critic. If you've seen it you know what I mean.
    TheMarshal wrote: »
    To me, the true measure of a technically demanding scene is whether you noticed it was technically demanding or not. Every scene where Remy is scampering through a larger-than-life world were simply astounding. The sewer, the kitchen, the house. Fantastic, each and every one.
    They totally made Paris magical.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    So... did anyone else catch the cameo of Bomb Voyage?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I totally missed it, but I forgot what he looks like.

I am surprised there weren't outtakes at the end.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007

I totally missed it, but I forgot what he looks like.

I am surprised there weren't outtakes at the end.

I don't remember the exact moment in the movie, but Luinguini was out on the street, and he was on the sidewalk entertaining people. Absolutely loved it, since his introduction cracks me up every time I watch The Incredibles.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Are you sure it was him, and not just a random french guy?

The films do have similar character design for the humans.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It was definitely Bomb Voyage. He's the mime on the street, you can't mistake the chin and nose.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Brett AshleyBrett Ashley Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It was definitely Bomb Voyage. He's the mime on the street, you can't mistake the chin and nose.

I saw the movie yesterday with my family. It was definitely very well done. I expected the usual Disney sappiness to the plots drama but it really just kept things...real.. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Yes, I saw the mime. :^:

Brett Ashley on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chickenmaniachickenmania Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What a terrific movie. I was expecting
    the boy to become a master chef or some stupid thing like that

but the way Pixar handled the story was beyond great.

chickenmania on
    Nerds.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What a terrific movie. I was expecting
    the boy to become a master chef or some stupid thing like that

but the way Pixar handled the story was beyond great.

Yeah, I was totally expecting
    the kid to learn how to cook by having the rat help him.

but instead
    he turned out to still be a miserable cook, but an awesome waiter.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I should probably stop clicking on spoilers until I see this.

Which will probably be tonight.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    (I suggest Happily N'Ever After, fucking terrible)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHMk-ZpwQMI
    Indeed.

Goddammit Patrick you have more important things to be taking care of.
    Like Venture Bros.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BokiBoki __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    No, I mean a brand new in-theater deal.

Something about Louisiana and voodoo, I think.

Ah yes, they are introducing a new disney princess I hear. She's black, pretty much the only race that hasn't gotten it's own "themed disney movie" yet.

Boki on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Cantido wrote: »
    I wish Disney still invested money in slick 2d films. I guess The Emperor's New Groove was the end of an era.

Does anyone know if the sequel to Emperor's New Groove (which was awesome), Kronk's New Groove, is worth picking up? I loved the humour of the first film, but I'm very wary of Disney's sequels.

Edit - Oh, and Monster's Inc. had one of the best endings ever.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I wish Disney still invested money in slick 2d films. I guess The Emperor's New Groove was the end of an era.
    Give Lasseter some time to bring 2D back from the grave. Remember, before he was put in charge of everything they had already shut down the whole 2D department. It's gonna take some time to get it back up and running again.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    Mobile-DMobile-D Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Rohan wrote: »

Does anyone know if the sequel to Emperor's New Groove (which was awesome), Kronk's New Groove, is worth picking up? I loved the humour of the first film, but I'm very wary of Disney's sequels.

Kronk's (sp?) New Groove was still kinda entertaining, but didn't have anywhere near the comedic value of the Emperor's New Groove. Instead of a comedy about a stuck-up ruler getting his just desserts (and of course, learning a lesson), it's about Kronk's constant efforts to get his father's approval.

The whole "get my dad to approve of my very strange lifestyle" thing is not a lesson that kids will absorb, in my opinion.

EDIT: Home on the Range was the end of an era. Because it was terrible. And made no money.

Mobile-D on
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I saw it last night. It was entertaining as is usual with pixar films, but the screaming babies in the audience weren't. Also as usual, I thought the short at the beginning was the most entertaining part. That formidable giant array of switches was hilarious.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Mobile-D wrote: »
    Rohan wrote: »

Kronk's (sp?) New Groove was still kinda entertaining, but didn't have anywhere near the comedic value of the Emperor's New Groove. Instead of a comedy about a stuck-up ruler getting his just desserts (and of course, learning a lesson), it's about Kronk's constant efforts to get his father's approval.

The whole "get my dad to approve of my very strange lifestyle" thing is not a lesson that kids will absorb, in my opinion.

EDIT: Home on the Range was the end of an era. Because it was terrible. And made no money.

Cheers for that. I might pick it up anyway, as I really loved the humour of the first film.

Pacha: Uh-oh.
    Kuzco: Don't tell me. We're about to go over a huge waterfall.
    Pacha: Yep.
    Kuzco: Sharp rocks at the bottom?
    Pacha: Most likely.
    Kuzco: Bring it on..... BOOOOYAAHAHAHAHA!!!

And Kronk is always great... are his good and evil conscious sides in the sequel? They were awesome.

Devil: Listen up, big guy. I got three good reasons why you should just walk away. Number one. Look at that guy! He's got that sissy stringy music thing.
    Angel: We've been through this. It's a harp, and you know it.
    Devil: Oh, right. That's a harp, and that's a dress.
    Angel: Robe!
    Devil: Reason number two. Look what I can do. Ha-ha, ha! *does one-armed handstand*
    Kronk: But what does that have to do with me?
    Angel: No, no. He's got a point.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten