As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

-

FiskavFiskav Registered User regular

steam_sig.png
Fiskav on

• FiskavFiskav Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Between Google's software dumping, accusations of leveraging their search engine to further their own business, and horrid cloud storage policies, Google is the new Microsoft.

• AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Google wants to take over everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfV6RzE30

While I think the video is pretty sensationalist it's a pretty interesting infographic on what google has their hands in.

Also it's a pretty kickass motion infographic overall.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    And then there's this as well: http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/13/2704795/google-kenya-accused-illegally-stealing-mocality-customers

Gotta agree. Google is the new Microsoft. It's more of a Microsoft than Microsoft ever was. I mean that as both a compliment and a criticism.

floobie on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Now Google is forcing people to sign up for Google+ when they make a GMail account.

edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    It's actually a little more than that. When you sign up for a Google account, you have to make a Gmail account, and a Google+ profile is created along the way.

edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    Fiskav wrote:
    Cyvros wrote:
    It's actually a little more than that. When you sign up for a Google account, you have to make a Gmail account, and a Google+ profile is created along the way.

Problem here is that some may not realise that they have a public profile now.

Right, a profile with nothing on it.

I have several Gmails but only one Google+ account. Now when I log in under my other gmails, it suggests, "oh, join the hottest new social platform by adding details here." but it doesn't appear to force me to have duplicate G+ accounts.

It's still forcing you to have a Google+ account, and any defending it is pretty ridiculous.

Their platform is failing, so they're using their other areas to strongarm people into it. MS got into serious crap by utilizing their lock on OS systems to pump up IE and Office, I don't see much of a difference here.

Oh, and this is for new GMail accounts. I should have clarified.

For new Google accounts. And they're getting you to join Gmail and Google+.

And I don't really see this as evidence of their platform failing. It might not have the amount of usage they'd like, but I'm pretty sure it isn't failing. They're getting high profile sign-ups like Lady Gaga happening, and activity certainly picked up amongst my own circles and the journo peeps I'm following with the whole SOPA/PIPA thing.

Besides, if you see this as being indicative of G+ failing, what does that say for Gmail?

edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    It's still forcing you to have a Google+ account, and any defending it is pretty ridiculous.

Their platform is failing, so they're using their other areas to strongarm people into it. MS got into serious crap by utilizing their lock on OS systems to pump up IE and Office, I don't see much of a difference here.

Are we using a different Google+? The one I'm using is far from failing. Plenty of activity.

MKR on
    edited January 2012
    MKR wrote:

Are we using a different Google+? The one I'm using is far from failing. Plenty of activity.

It's got so much activity, Google has to obfuscate how much there actually is.

The whole line about 90M users with 60-80% activity is a red herring. 60-80% of Google+ users use Google services, even the search engine, and they completely leave out the number of active users on G+.

We don't really need competition in the social network arena. Time will kill Facebook, just like Friendster, Myspace, and all the other stuff that became outdated.

If you want to know about Google+'s real world activity, go outside of your friend circle and click on some product pages. Ghost towns. Mountain Dew has 210 in user circles, and Facebook has almost 7 million.

jungleroomx on
    I'm going by my own stream, not what Google is saying.

edited January 2012
    MKR wrote:
    I'm going by my own stream, not what Google is saying.

Your own stream may be fairly active, but I'm sure there are plenty of Myspace friend groups that maintain active social activity as well.

Doesn't mean either of them are exploding, and the numbers are padded by forcing a stealth sign-up to it through Gmail.

jungleroomx on
    Thankfully, the FTC is expanding their Antitrust investigation into G+.

Don't let Google do what MS did.

edited January 2012
    We are going to have to disagree on activity until one of us has more than anecdotes and assertions.

MKR on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    google+ has stalled a bit, at least from an economical standpoint.

advertising on there is lighting your money on fire currently.

There is still a fair amount of social activity right now though.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    Yeah, there's a fair bit of activity in my circles, and my friends' circles.
    We don't really need competition in the social network arena. Time will kill Facebook, just like Friendster, Myspace, and all the other stuff that became outdated.

Well, that's a silly and simplistic viewpoint. I don't use Google+ to "kill Facebook". I use it because I prefer it to Facebook, and I know a lot of people who prefer G+ to Fb, but use both. Or they use both and prefer Fb. Or they use both and don't really have a preference.

You don't use it that way, but that is the primary intent of G+, at least in Google's point of view.

I haven't heard anything like that out of Google.

• useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    The thing I don't like is that you have to have a google account for youtube now. You can't even log into your own youtube account without associating it with a google account.

So there goes anonymity right out the window. Accidentally "like" the wrong video? Now the whole world knows!

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    That's ludicrous. Go ahead, go to my public youtube user profile:

http://www.youtube.com/centipededamascus

You can't see what videos I "like". You can see my favorites and my subscriptions, but if I don't want people to see those, I can turn that off in the privacy settings.

Centipede Damascus on
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png