As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SW:TOR] Tanks like spanking.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Was thinking about utility spells during some huttball last night (Extricating Ubel should be illegal, he's already hard enough to stop):

Juggernaut: Leap to enemies, leap to friendlies
    Powertech: Leap to enemies, pull enemies
    Assassin: Pull enemies, leap to friendlies?

Is that right? What other fun/utility stuff do each have? My PT's only 35, so she hasn't quite hit everything yet.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Wooooo, 2 set Columi gear!

*waves goodbye to all those nice secondary stats that Columi is worse at than crafted gear*

Least I gained 4% absorption out of it and hopefully I can fiddle with some mods to put defense back on them. I really didn't need any more accuracy pants, I would have appreciated defense.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    PXrcO.png

I find it appropriate that the war paint on my helmet's forehead matches my feelings about its appearance.

Rest of the columi bounty hunter gear looks awesome, though. I guess my powertech just needs great satellite reception wherever she goes.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    You look like one of the aliens from Independence Day.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    "Hide head slot" is the most important graphic option in all of the Old Republic.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Regarding the DPS or healer companion discussion on the last page, I've mostly been running with Vette to speed things along. However, I replace her with my healer when I'm soloing stuff I'm not supposed to. I was doing a bonus objective in a heroic on Nar Shaddaa when the rest of my group decided to split (it would've taken forever for everyone to do it since it wasn't shared). I kept going and managed to solo the champion over about 10 minutes. There's absolutely no way I could've taken him with Vette.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Regarding the DPS or healer companion discussion on the last page, I've mostly been running with Vette to speed things along. However, I replace her with my healer when I'm soloing stuff I'm not supposed to. I was doing a bonus objective in a heroic on Nar Shaddaa when the rest of my group decided to split (it would've taken forever for everyone to do it since it wasn't shared). I kept going and managed to solo the champion over about 10 minutes. There's absolutely no way I could've taken him with Vette.

And this is why tanks and healers are easier to level than DPS

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Yeah, I'm not sure what I'm going to do about Columni gear. It's really not that much better than my current gear and in some ways worse. I have the token for the chest piece, but haven't used it.

Compared to my current orange-modded chest piece, with the columni gear I lose about 10 endurance and about 40 defense and gain about 20 willpower, 30-something shield rating and 30-something shield absorb. And the 2-piece set only gives me an increased 5% chance to shield when kinetic ward is up. Which, if I've read correctly, shield chance caps at 50 and I'm already sitting at 48% with kinetic ward and practically no shield rating.

Invisible on
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    Ein wrote:
    PXrcO.png

I find it appropriate that the war paint on my helmet's forehead matches my feelings about its appearance.

Rest of the columi bounty hunter gear looks awesome, though. I guess my powertech just needs great satellite reception wherever she goes

Is it just me or does it actually look like you have high res textures in the shoot? I assume you have highest AA, but when with that I cannot make things look pretty close up.

• Options
    PentPent Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Bobble wrote:
    Was thinking about utility spells during some huttball last night (Extricating Ubel should be illegal, he's already hard enough to stop):

Juggernaut: Leap to enemies, leap to friendlies
    Powertech: Leap to enemies, pull enemies
    Assassin: Pull enemies, leap to friendlies?

Is that right? What other fun/utility stuff do each have? My PT's only 35, so she hasn't quite hit everything yet.
    Assassin only has a pull, no leap, but they have force speed, which is like a leap.
    With that said, is anyone having threat problems in hard modes with enrage timers and tanking with shadow/assassin?
    I have one and DPS pulls constantly off me, sometimes even while guarded. Also I feel that I take hits harder than other tanks.

My priority system is something like: slow time -> force breach -> project -> double strike -> saber strike, using force potency whenever it's up and sometimes using telekinetic throw when the healer needs to catch up.

Pent on
    :winky:
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I've shadow tanked almost all of the hardmodes and haven't really had an issue with threat. If some how they pull threat, mind control or mass mind control gets it back quick. Have had a few enraged at close to 5% or less, we've dpsed through most of those, though. Only iron fist is real trouble because head shot can't be interrupted when enraged.

Invisible on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Ok, I ran 2 HMs with dudes from pretty serious raiding guilds today...
    and threat is a serious issue, at least for the Vanguard.

If I went full out, and they went full out, they'd pull off me every time. And I can't even keep that up indefinitely, at some point I get into ammo trouble.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    Yeah I have been noticing threat issues with vanguard too.

I've had to sub in some dps gear to try and help, but the problem is vanguard rely heavily on power for threat, but our tanking kit has very little on it. As DPS move towards the highest possible number, we just get get more survivable (and have a boat load of accuracy for some reason) and our threat isn't increased.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    SanderJK wrote:

If I went full out, and they went full out, they'd pull off me every time. And I can't even keep that up indefinitely, at some point I get into ammo trouble.

I'm not familiar with Vanguard, but do you not have any taunts? As a shadow, I have two that don't cost anything (one single target, one multiple targets). While they have fairly long cool downs, I can space them out in such a way that it's hard to have a dps pull them off me, especially if they're guarded and when/if they do, it's off cool down by then. In addition they lower the damage taken by others by 30% for the duration.

Invisible on
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote:

On trash mobs, CC is more useful that threat. Threat decays way to fast.

Depending on the situation, its not worth tanking some garbage mobs. On harder ones, you use CC and everyone focuses down one mob at a time... you can't always just AOE threat faceroll.

As far as single target threat... they shouldn't be pulling it off you if you are also keeping up decent damage and taunts. Save taunts until the mob doesn't target you, try to keep aggro with damage alone and whatever your tanks guard stance is.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I am a 50 Guardian tank, and I can tell you my buddy who is running that hybrid TK/Balance DPS spec that's so good will pull agro on any boss that does any sort of knockback to me that keeps me from having 100% uptime. To make matters worse, I can't guard him unless I want to ask him to dps from 15 meters. It's far worse on trash, but I don't really worry about that.

On a boss where I can have 100% uptime he won't pull, but if they don't, he has to use his agro dump every time and sometimes hold back a little. I also use Guardian Leap on him on CD, because in spite of the tooltip not saying it, a bit of testing has shown me that it does actually drop his threat somewhat.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Well it came up a bunch of times. Now granted, I'm i'm in PvP items (though with +5% dps bonus) / crafted purple crits, and they were in t2 PvE gear (they were hunting to complete the set bonus for one of them), but it was still frustrating. Doing D-7, the boss with the 'hide' phase they are apparently used to dps through the hiding phase, but with me the unguarded dps was 1-2 shots of being within aggro. And on many a boss I was very aware of turns in order to taunt asap.

You said that threat decays earlier, is that so? I haven't looked into real mechanics tests. How exactly does taunt function, does it set you at 100% + forces 6 seconds, then looks after 6 seconds how threat has evolved?

I also had 3 distinct instances where it was <click on mob1> <see someone cc mob1> <click on mob 2> <click ability> <shoot mob 1 instead of mob 2 with ability> <Next ability does target mob 2>

That can really ruin your day if times badly.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    What do other classes have for emergency buttons? As an Assassin, I have Deflection (+50% defense for 12s), Force Shroud (purge all removable debuffs, +100% tech/force resist for 3s), and uh...overcharge saber (restores 10% of HP, reduces internal cd of heal by 1.5s for 15s). I dunno, doesn't seem like a lot. Are the rest of you in a similar situation?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Guardian/Juggernaut are in a good place in that regard. We have a 40% damage reduction shield wall for 12 seconds, Saber Ward(2 seconds of 100% melee/ranged defense) 12 total seconds of +50% melee/ranged defense and minus 25% tech/force damage, and basically last stand, 30% max health increase for 15 seconds. The first 2 are 3 minute CDs, and the latter is now a 90 second CD.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote:
    I also use Guardian Leap on him on CD, because in spite of the tooltip not saying it, a bit of testing has shown me that it does actually drop his threat somewhat.

But it does say it. The tooltip indicates it lowers threat by a moderate amount.
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    What do other classes have for emergency buttons? As an Assassin, I have Deflection (+50% defense for 12s), Force Shroud (purge all removable debuffs, +100% tech/force resist for 3s), and uh...overcharge saber (restores 10% of HP, reduces internal cd of heal by 1.5s for 15s). I dunno, doesn't seem like a lot. Are the rest of you in a similar situation?

Guardians get Sabre Ward which gives +100% melee & ranged defense (stacks with your regular defense so you go above 100) for 2 seconds followed by +50% melee & ranged defense for 10 seconds after that as well as reducing tech & force damage taken by 25% for the whole 12 seconds. We also get Warding Call which reduces all damage taken by 40% for 10 seconds. Both of those are on a 3 minute cooldown. The Columi 2 piece bonus increases Blade Tuning (the 100% part of Sabre Ward) by 1 second and Warding Call by 2 seconds.

Finally we get Enure which increases our health (max and current) by 30% for 10-15 seconds (depending on talent) on a 1.5 minute cooldown. This usually gives something in the range of 4800 to 6000 bonus health on a moment's notice.

Characters
  • Options
    SanderJK wrote:
    Doing D-7, the boss with the 'hide' phase they are apparently used to dps through the hiding phase, but with me the unguarded dps was 1-2 shots of being within aggro.

I'm scratching my head, but what boss in that place has a 'hide' phase? There's none that comes to mind at all.

Characters
  • Options
    I'm sorry, I meant Maelstrom, we did both.

• Options
    You can DPS through Cyborg? Bwu?

He hits me for 7k on normal and ~14k on HM. I mean, I could (and have to test it out) pop Sabre Ward to deflect a few shots but that's not going to last very long. A DPS would just get immediately destroyed by any hit of his.

Characters
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Joshmvii wrote:
    Guardian/Juggernaut are in a good place in that regard. We have a 40% damage reduction shield wall for 12 seconds, Saber Ward(2 seconds of 100% melee/ranged defense) 12 total seconds of +50% melee/ranged defense and minus 25% tech/force damage, and basically last stand, 30% max health increase for 15 seconds. The first 2 are 3 minute CDs, and the latter is now a 90 second CD.

Also, going into the Immortal tree adds a fast-recharge damage shield to Force Scream, one which has no rage cost after a Force Charge.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    Aegis wrote:
    You can DPS through Cyborg? Bwu?

He hits me for 7k on normal and ~14k on HM. I mean, I could (and have to test it out) pop Sabre Ward to deflect a few shots but that's not going to last very long. A DPS would just get immediately destroyed by any hit of his.

The point was that he only chases his top aggro target. So when they do it with their regular tank, the dps could keep on beating him up until he turns (His shot is probably an energy type, meaning you the dps take the same amount of damage, about 11k on HM as I saw, meaning they had a second to hide after.) When I did it, he turned nearly instantly because the threat was so close.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Aegis wrote:
    Joshmvii wrote:
    I also use Guardian Leap on him on CD, because in spite of the tooltip not saying it, a bit of testing has shown me that it does actually drop his threat somewhat.

But it does say it. The tooltip indicates it lowers threat by a moderate amount.
    Rorus Raz wrote:

Guardians get Sabre Ward which gives +100% melee & ranged defense (stacks with your regular defense so you go above 100) for 2 seconds followed by +50% melee & ranged defense for 10 seconds after that as well as reducing tech & force damage taken by 25% for the whole 12 seconds. We also get Warding Call which reduces all damage taken by 40% for 10 seconds. Both of those are on a 3 minute cooldown. The Columi 2 piece bonus increases Blade Tuning (the 100% part of Sabre Ward) by 1 second and Warding Call by 2 seconds.

Finally we get Enure which increases our health (max and current) by 30% for 10-15 seconds (depending on talent) on a 1.5 minute cooldown. This usually gives something in the range of 4800 to 6000 bonus health on a moment's notice.

On torhead the tooltip says it. In game, my Guardian's force leap tooltip does not say it.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    Odd because mine absolutely does since I've had to double-check it sometimes when figuring out the best way to handle the Foreman boss of Karaaga's, and then deciding that someone else guardian leaping to me would just reduce my threat and not be the best idea.

Characters
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Joshmvii wrote:

...and is the one thing I am most envious about as a Powertech(Vanguard), as my "emergency" buttons are:

Energy Shield(Reactive Shield): 25% damage reduction for 12 secs, with a 2 min cooldown,
    Kolto Overload(Adrenaline Rush):15% healh restore over 10 secs, with a 2 min cooldown (can be speced to 1 min), and...
    Oil Slick(Smoke Grenade): 20% reduction of the melee and ranged accuracy of nearby enemies for 18 secs, 1 min cooldown.

In fact, they are not really "Emergency" buttons, but defensive abilities with long cooldowns I have to use in anticiapation of an emergency so that said emergency never occurs. Using them moments before death expecting them to save me until the next heal will often just leave me dead and that ability on CD...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I feel like as a Guardian I got to trade all semblance of decent AOE tanking for good CDs and cool looking shit like throwing my lightsaber and leaping around.

• Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    Which makes them great for EV.

I don't get to tank because I dont have those oh shit buttons, and see vanguard threat issues.

• Options
    We cleared hard mode Karagga's.

Got two mainhand rakata weapon tokens. Someone was smoking something when they put the level 51 mod/enhancement in that thing... I took out the red-black crystal and stuck it in my columi mainhand.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    Well... I got a really nice proc relic from the droid in Karagga's Palace. Once per 20 seconds, for 6 seconds it increase my shield absorb rating by 365. I have to due some testing, but it seems like I'm essentially immune to damage from all, but boss-level enemies when it's up (at least in a Heroic 4).

Gearing nicely, even if I look like a banana. So far Columi head, chest and bracers, the columi level relic proc, and the tionese equivalent off-hand shield. Hoping for the columi mainhand token off Karaga tonight.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote:
    Well... I got a really nice proc relic from the droid in Karagga's Palace. Once per 20 seconds, for 6 seconds it increase my shield absorb rating by 365. I have to due some testing, but it seems like I'm essentially immune to damage from all, but boss-level enemies when it's up (at least in a Heroic 4).

Gearing nicely, even if I look like a banana. So far Columi head, chest and bracers, the columi level relic proc, and the tionese equivalent off-hand shield. Hoping for the columi mainhand token off Karaga tonight.
    Invisible wrote:
    Yeah, I'm not sure what I'm going to do about Columni gear. It's really not that much better than my current gear and in some ways worse. I have the token for the chest piece, but haven't used it.

Compared to my current orange-modded chest piece, with the columni gear I lose about 10 endurance and about 40 defense and gain about 20 willpower, 30-something shield rating and 30-something shield absorb. And the 2-piece set only gives me an increased 5% chance to shield when kinetic ward is up. Which, if I've read correctly, shield chance caps at 50 and I'm already sitting at 48% with kinetic ward and practically no shield rating.

I don't think that's correct. I think it's capped at 50 with +shield gear because the diminishing returns drops it to zero past that point, but the set bonus gives you an extra 5% beyond that (which is pretty amazing).

Honestly, I think you're doing yourself a disservice by not equipping that chest piece.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I did equip the chest piece. I caved. Defense took a hit, but think the damage reduction made up for it.

Ended up losing like 2% defense stat, for a 2-3% gain in damage reduction, and about a 7% increase for both shield rating and shield absorb. That's all items together.

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Invisible wrote:

Ooooh, a tank version of the relic DOES exist! That sounds awesome and makes me love Karagga's now. I've seen or heard of both Damage and Healing versions of this relic now, but damn that's nice.

I'm assuming it also has +72 Endurance like the other versions?

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Aegis wrote:

So far they all seem to be 72 endurance in normal and hard mode. A massive improvement over the non-stat relics a few weeks ago.
    I forget the proc, but a really nice healing one came off the droid in HM KP last night... added some extra shield to heals or something.

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    Badwrong wrote:
    Aegis wrote:

So far they all seem to be 72 endurance in normal and hard mode. A massive improvement over the non-stat relics a few weeks ago.
    I forget the proc, but a really nice healing one came off the droid in HM KP last night... added some extra shield to heals or something.

I'm currently using the Champion relic at the moment since that gives me the most Endurance (+34) as well as the best defensive action buff I've seen yet on a relic (+5% defense for 20 seconds), so finding out about these new Karaagga relics having a passive bonus in addition to 40 more Endurance is making me drool.

Characters
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Aegis wrote:
    Invisible wrote:

Ooooh, a tank version of the relic DOES exist! That sounds awesome and makes me love Karagga's now. I've seen or heard of both Damage and Healing versions of this relic now, but damn that's nice.

It drops from the tower of hanoi boss. Both the DPS and Tank version, someone else got the DPS version same night.
    Shield Amplification Device
    +48 End
    +34 Power
    Equip: Shielding an incoming attack grants 365 absorb rating for 6 seconds. This effect can only occur once every 20 seconds, and shares this limit with similar defensive effects.

Don't know why all of the tank relics have +power, but it was the same with LS5 +defense on use one. And they still haven't fixed the shadow/assassin tank matrix relic.

Invisible on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Oh man, passive, so great

I'm fucking awful at juggling tons of short duration abilities like that manually

• Options
    cubantypercubantyper Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I hit 50 a few days ago on my Juggernaut and was wondering what stats I should be shooting for before advertising myself for HM flashpoints. If my memory serves, I'm sitting around 42% reduction from armor, 19% defense, 33% shield chance and 30% absorb, though the shield stats could be a couple of points either way given that I'm not looking at my character right now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thus far it's been a blast choking dudes and pushing them off cliffs while tanking.