As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FE] the lumberjack school of warfare

• DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    well, butts

the problem is that imageshack is literally the worst at resizing things. Somebody tell me how this looks now.

MAP, DAMMIT
    proturn0c.png

Daypigeon on
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    Loads fine now!

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    For future reference, you might want to use Photobucket. I've had no problems with it.

• Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Orson

"Come on, Al, let's get you a nice spot to watch the fight... or a forest to hide till it's all over. Your choice."

Orson gently puts the rope-bound man down in a standing position, leaning against a tree. Alan's legs are tied almost as tight as his arms, preventing him from doing anything but shuffling or hopping. And if he happens to fall...hope he enjoys the view he ends up with.

"Shout if you see any worms!" Orson grins as he hefts his trusty mend stave, facing the battle.

Move to F3, drop Alan in F2.

Rawkking Goodguy on
    edited January 2012
    Turn 1 Enemy phase

The enemy forces, now fully aware of the mercenaries' presence, quickly reassemble themselves into something resembling a battle formation as a red-hooded man barks orders at them. The wounded axefighter stumbles back behind his advancing compatriots, where a brown-robed healer tends to his injuries quickly, hands trembling. (Axefighter A is healed! [18/18])

The second axefighter, however, advances to the front line and comes face to face with the armored monstrosity known as Allan. He looks the Knight up and down for a second, looks at the lance, backpedals slightly and tosses a throwing axe overhand into the Knight with dangerous velocity [71], not doing any serious damage...this time. (Allan takes 3 damage, gets 1 experience)

Turn 1 Ally Phase

At this time, the other mercenaries reach the front. The archer, spotting an opening, darts forward, pulls an arrow, and fires at the next swordsman. [95]

...his shot goes very, very wide of the mark. An audible groan comes from his position.

The swordfighter is a little luckier with his first strike, which hits the axe-user just as he's grabbing another throwing axe. ( [57] Axefighter B takes 5 damage) However, he's not quick enough to dodge a retaliatory strike that sends him reeling. ( [12] Myrmidon takes 7 damage)

Map

proturn1.png

Allied Units
    (E3: Axefighter Lv.1 [19/19] [Build 13] [Iron Axe])

(E5: Myrmidon Lv.1 [11/18] [Build 8] [Slim Sword])

(C6: Caleb(?) Archer Lv.1 [16/16] [Build 7] [Iron Bow])
    Enemy Units

(H7: Axefighter A Lv.1 [18/18] [Build 10] [Iron Axe])

(E6: Axefighter B Lv.1 [15/20] [Build 12] [Hand Axe])

(E8: Archer A Lv.1 [17/17] [Build 7] [Iron Bow])

(D7: Swordsman B Lv.1 [17/17] [Build 7] [Slim Sword])

(D10: Mage Lv.3 [22/22] [Build 6] [Thunder]) -Vulnerary

(C9: Swordsman C Lv.1 [16/16] [Build 10] [Iron Sword])

(H8: Cleric Lv. 5 [14/14] [Build 4] [Heal]) - Restore Staff

(H12: Halberdier Lv. 4 [30/30] [Build 12] [ Javelin] [Vantage, Imbibe] ) - Steel Lance, Vulnerary x 3

(G11: Pegasus Rider Lv.2 [18/18] [Build 7] [Slim Lance])

(H13): Archer B Lv.1 [17/17] [Build 6] [Iron Bow])

The smaller Alan cranes his head up at the sound of flapping wings and promptly falls over. The muffled shout that follows sounds vaguely like "Pugafif."

Player Phase Begins

Daypigeon on
    edited January 2012
    Allan [17/20] [Build 10] [Iron Lance]

Allan shakes off the axe hit. Nothing he hasn't already survived a dozen times in a dozen different battles. He marches forward to the front lines, where a knight is supposed to be. He recalls the words of one of his mentors.

It was late in his training. Already he was accustomed to the heavy armor and the mighty spears carried into battle by Vallisian Knights. Today was a different kind of practice.

Joseph, one of the most decorated knights of House Vallis, was instructing him today. "Remembah, yah're a knight of Vallis! Yah gaive yahself away w' e'ry glint ah yah ahmor!" His accent was thick, for he had been born in the North. The other knights joked that he'd taken one too many knocks to the head.

Joseph rolled his consonants curiously. "Thay're gonna coom at yah frum e'ry angle, tah say they braht doon a knight'a Vallis! And yah'll have tah take e'ry hit thay throw, 'cause Vallis ain't got 'ny walls! Vallis's got us!" Allan was surrounded by trainees, and it hit him just then what was about to happen. "Fer tha las' three years, yah trayned tah fight three men. Today, yah lern ta engage thirty!" Allan managed a gulp before Joseph gave his final command for the session. "Attack!"

They'd had training weapons, then. This was the real thing. Allan took a swig from his vulnerary, and prepared for the onslaught that was about to march his way. "Come and get me, you witless weaklings!" He put the vulnerary away and grabbed at his shield, readied his lance to counter. Just like training.

Knight to C7 and consume 1 charge of Vulnerary.

Apologies to everyone for Joseph's accent.

Terrendos on
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Sardo [18/18] [Build 7] [Worm]

Looks like my archer friend was a bit slow on the draw... and a bit left... and high... Anyway, I don't like the look of that nasty axe.

Shouting, "Hey, Caleb, it's not a race, all right? Just take your time and remember to breathe!" Sardo paused and though for a moment. "Also, stand behind someone who looks like they can mix it up in a fight. That's probably a good idea too!" While he was shouting some encouragement to the hapless archer, Sardo placed his book back into his bag and wheezed as he pulled out the other book he had brought with him. One that packed a bit more of a wallop. "You! Yes, yo- Ok, for future reference, we really need to learn to introduces ourselves to the people we're fighting alongside. Anyway, my name is Sardo, and you should probably duck."

As Sardo read from the new book, writhing coils emanated from the book. As Sardo spits out the last guttural syllable, the black coils tensed briefly and then lanced over the friendly swordsman's head towards the man with the nasty hand axe.

Assuming Allan moved to D6, move to E4 and attack the axeman.

First attack: 1d100=14 (No way in hell am I getting a second attack with this thing)

Also, it would be nice to know if I kill this guy or if he manages to double me or something so Mr. priest can patch me up if I get mauled. No need for a full update, a simple up/down would work.

Effective Speed -1 with Flux
    Base hit + Skill = 75
    Adept on roll of 4 or less
    Base crit = 5
    Base damage = 17

Capfalcon on
    axe-guy should be dead, you're fine. Updates later! (Terr, where are you going?)

Haha, whoops, forgot to give my actual direction. Post edited.

The man with the throwing axes stands very still for a moment as the dark energy pierces his body... then falls straight down, motionless. (Axefighter B takes 15 damage and is defeated! Sardo gets 30 experience.)

As Allan tromps his way to the new position, the vulnerary brings him back to full health. Good as new.

Map
    proturn1a.png

Allied Units

(E5: Myrmidon Lv.1 [11/18] [Build 8] [Slim Sword])

Enemy Units

(H12: Halberdier Lv. 4 [30/30] [Build 12] [ Javelin] [Vantage, Imbibe] ) - Steel Lance, Vulnerary x 3

(G11: Pegasus Rider Lv.2 [18/18] [Build 7] [Slim Lance])

Still to move: Orson, Macia, Zia

• Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Macia

Who to shoot next... maybe that healer? Maybe. Got a funny feeling about him. Never did have much of a stomach for neutralizing non-combatants, anyway.

She runs her eyes over the battlefield one more time, resting them on the Pegasus Knight. She'll do. Macia guides her mount to the top of the town's old wall, and takes her shot.

Moving to F6, then shooting the Pegasus Knight.

Roll: 2! YEEEEEAAAHH

Effective Speed 5 with Light Crossbow
    Base hit + Skill = 106
    Base crit = 6
    Base damage = 15

Shock G on
    ...your movement is seven. Not seven and seven.

That's... going to be a very large number, isn't it?

oh dang

well then i just park my ass on that wall

edited January 2012
    Orson

"Pegasus, you say? Is tha" Orson's voice is interrupted by wyvern wings and a sharp scream.

With a shrug that could send a man flying, Orson walks up to his fellow mercenary. "You hang in there!" he half-shouts as he raises his mend stave, light flowing onto the wounded myrmidon.

Move to F5, mend Myrmidon.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • RhapsodyRhapsody Registered User regular
    I've been known to be blind, so I probably missed it, but would you mind posting/pointing me to what each of the status effects we can inflict can do? I'm guessing poison is damage each turn (how much?), paralyze is can't move, and sleep is loss of turn. Is that on track?

edited January 2012
    Afgh. You're right, I haven't actually laid out what they do- but that's exactly correct. each condition lasts 1d4 turns, and poison inflicts 1d4 damage at the start of every turn. Paralysis keeps units from moving, Berserk makes units attack the nearest character, no matter their allegiance, and sleep cancels all actions. Will be adding this to the rulebook sometime today.

Edit: stuff, added! Also changed were the level-up things, and some capacity skills. In particular, Laguz stuff is now capacity skill based instead of being separate classes, since nobody wanted to play them anyways. Also, Mages and Clerics [EDIT: and also Shamans (Shamen?), derp] now get a free-out-of-the-box skill, Arcane, since they were the only foot unit without a free skill and why leave them out?

Daypigeon on
    The myrmidon gulps, giving Orson a grateful nod as his wounds vanish. He grips his sword again and turns back to the battle at hand. (Orson gets 11 experience!)

Meanwhile, Macia lands on the aging stone wall, carefully aims at the pegasus rider's unguarded face as the winged horse ascends, breathes in, takes her shot, and misses the target by several feet.

...what she does hit is the poor girl's mount, which suddenly finds itself missing an eye and change. The rider cries out in horror and the horse freaks the hell out, whipping around and bucking wildly. Something audibly snaps, and the rider, her scream suddenly more urgent, flies off, sheer terror evident on her face for just a split second before she hits the wreckage to the south travelling rather faster than she would like to be. The pegasus hits the ground nearby with a very wet, very final noise.

[Pegasus Rider takes 36 damage! Pegasus Rider is very, very defeated. Macia gets 33 experience!]

Map
    proturn1b.png

Allied Units

(E5: Myrmidon Lv.1 [18/18] [Build 8] [Slim Sword])

Enemy Units

Still to move: Zia

Critical hits: they are a thing.

edited January 2012
    Zia [15/15] [Build 6] [Slim Sword]

Zia stands stunned for a moment, breathing heavily after felling the swordsman that stood before her. She focuses again as the others rush around her, engaging the bandits. "No time to dwell on this," she mutters to herself, watching the brave mercenary down an enemy with a single shot. Catching herself in awe, her attention is grabbed by the sight of an archer, wearing the colors of the town aggressors, preparing his shot.

She shouts at the bowman, "You're going to have to deal with me before you even think of aiming higher!"
    Move to E7 and crippling attack Archer A (E8)
    Effective Speed = 9
    Base Hit + Skill - Crippling Modifier = 100 + 5 - 30 = 75
    Base Critical + Skill = 5 + 5 = 10
    Base Might + Energy = 3 + 3 = 6

Rolls: 24, 52(if needed)

Dunno how complicated this gets if I get two strikes, and the first hits (thus paralyzing him), if I can have the second strike not be a crippling and get the hit bonus back, or if we should just keep it simple and have both attacks have the penalty/chance for status ailment

Rhapsody on
    edited January 2012

Zia's twin strikes catch the archer in his leg, making him stumble backwards and miss his opportunity to make a shot. (Archer A takes 10 damage! Paralyzed! Zia gets 10 experience)

Enemy Phase

Nearby, the remaining axefighter scrambles up some of the wreckage by the wall and takes a leaping swing at Macia's mount, slicing into thick, juicy wyvern leg. [51] (Macia takes 9 damage!) The wyvern rider manages to fire off a shot in response, [16] hitting the axefighter in his shoulder. (Axefighter A takes 11 damage! Macia gets 10 experience)

Meanwhile, the two swordsmen take amateur swings at Allan, but accomplish little, their blows glancing off of his heavy armor. [27, 55] (Allan takes no damage) The knight, however, manages to spear both of them in response. [88, 52] (Swordsman B takes 12 damage! Swordsman C takes 11 damage!) Allan's cocksure demeanor seems to be fully justified... until the first thunderbolt strikes him with a crash, coursing through his very large and very metal armor.

"On your knees," the mage growls, swiping a hand through the air in front of him as a second thunderbolt hurtles from the sky. ([26,50] Allan takes 16 damage! Allan gets 22 experience)

Ally Phase

The archer (Caleb?) takes careful aim for his second shot, squints down the bow at one of the swordfighters, breathes in, fires...
    ...and completely botches the shot again. [98] "son of a-"

The myrmidon has slightly better luck, but takes another hit himself as well. He winces, but refuses to cry out. ([55] Swordsman B takes 4 damage! [63] Myrmidon takes 4 damage!)

Map
    proturn2.png

Allied Units
    (D4: Axefighter Lv.1 [19/19] [Build 13] [Iron Axe])

(E5: Myrmidon Lv.1 [14/18] [Build 8] [Slim Sword])

Enemy Units

(F7: Axefighter A Lv.1 [7/18] [Build 10] [Iron Axe])

(E8: Archer A Lv.1 [7/17] [Build 7] [Iron Bow]) [Paralyzed 4 turns]

(D7: Swordsman B Lv.1 [1/17] [Build 7] [Slim Sword])

(D8: Mage Lv.3 [22/22] [Build 6] [Thunder]) -Vulnerary

(C8: Swordsman C Lv.1 [5/16] [Build 10] [Iron Sword])

(F10: Cleric Lv. 5 [14/14] [Build 4] [Heal]) - Restore Staff

Player Phase begins

guys, please remember to include hp in your post headers!

Daypigeon on
    If someone wants to get rid of one of the swordsmen, I will gladly stand atop the corpse and educate this mage on the Magic Triangle.

edited January 2012
    Speaking of triangles and the education thereof, I totally messed up one of Allan's rolls up there. He connected with both sword-guys, thanks to the magic of the lance>sword relationship. Fixed now, as well as some minor rewording stuff.

Edit: also terr should probably thank rhapsody for most likely saving his bacon this turn :P

Edit Edit: Also, keep track of your experience totals! This being Fire Emblem, once you hit 100 you're due an instant level-up.

Daypigeon on
    How come he didn't get any more exp from the extra hit?

Regardless, someone needs to heal Allan. He's gonna finish off a swordsman, rolls willing. Any preference which one, Cap?

I just need to be able to hit him, but I think only you are able to hit C8, so that might be best.

Don't worry about it, Cap. After some strategy chat, Rawk said Orson can't heal Allan, so he's gonna stand in place, chug another vulnerary, and hope for the best.

Allan [8/20] [Build 10] [Iron Lance] [62 Experience]

Allan shook himself a bit, shuddering at the rush of electricity that went through him."Fwah! That's quite a tickle there, lad, but yah gotta do better'n'at to send a Vallisian Knight to his knees." He pulls out his Vulnerary and takes another swig. "I c'n do this all day, brotha!" He readies for another assault from the Mage and the two swordsman. "An' you two! Try hittin' me wi' tha pointy end!" He continues to address the swordsman attackers with bravado. "Now then, shoulders square, hands on the blade, legs apart a little more, and put some muscle behind it this time!"

Allan drinks Vulnerary to heal to full.

edited January 2012
    Don't forget that I can heal people with my medic ability! Also, how long is the archer paralyzed for?

Strategy wise, I could either take out the archer, or cut a path to Allan and that damn mage. Or I could retreat and let you take on the mage Capfalcon, but you'd be open to the swordsman and axeman

Rhapsody on
    erp. Paralyzed for four turns, starting counting down from his next turn.

edited January 2012
    Not sure if we really want to take out the mage this turn, taking out everyone but the mage -> stealing the mage's vulnerary -> killing the mage might be more efficient. But this isn't a video game so he might retreat, vOv

Orson [14/14] [Build 12] [Mend] [Exp: 11]

"Well that sounded pleasant!" Orson almost winces as he hears the crash of the pegasus. He's seen his share of battles, but kills like that still unnerve a little. "Come on down off that wall; let's get you and your lizard all patched up."

Orson focuses, summoning a healing light that washes over Macia and her steed as they descend.

Not moving this round.

Rawkking Goodguy on
    edited January 2012
    Sardo [18/18] [Build 7] [Flux]

Ok, now that is just getting ridiculous, Sardo thinks about this "archer's" performance. Although he tries his best, Sardo can't manage keep the all of the annoyance out of his voice when he says, "Now, calm down, son, and aim. Don't rush."

Seeing the axeman hop down the chunks of the ruined wall, Sardo seizes the opening and attacks while the axeman is in midjump. Unable to dodge, he finds himself easy prey for Sardo's magic.

Either way, move to E6 and smite the foolish worm axeman.

First and second attack (if needed)1d100=21, 1d100=5

Effective Speed 4 with Flux
    Base hit + Skill = 85
    Adept on roll of 4 or less
    Base crit = 5
    Base damage = 14

EXP = 40/100

Capfalcon on
    The axefighter doesn't take having his innards rearranged mid-fall very well. He hits the ground face-first and stays there. (Axefighter A takes 13 damage and is defeated! Sardo gains 30 experience!)

Meanwhile, Macia and her trusty steed are revitalized by Orson's healing powers. (Macia returns to full health! Orson gains 12 experience!)

Map
    proturn2a.png

Allied Units
    (D4: Axefighter Lv.1 [19/19] [Build 13] [Iron Axe])

(E5: Myrmidon Lv.1 [14/18] [Build 8] [Slim Sword])

Enemy Units
    (E8: Archer A Lv.1 [7/17] [Build 7] [Iron Bow]) [Paralyzed 4 turns]

(D7: Swordsman B Lv.1 [1/17] [Build 7] [Slim Sword])

(D8: Mage Lv.3 [22/22] [Build 6] [Thunder]) -Vulnerary

(C8: Swordsman C Lv.1 [5/16] [Build 10] [Iron Sword])

(F10: Cleric Lv. 5 [14/14] [Build 4] [Heal]) - Restore Staff

Still to move: Macia, Zia

I guess people are targeting the small fry instead of the mage this turn? probably not a bad idea.

edited January 2012
    Zia [15/15] [40 exp] [Build 6] [Slim Sword]
    Zia sees the opposing cleric looming behind the injured archer and shakes her head. She can't help but allow a hint of a smile grace her expression as she resolves to ensure the safety of her mage companion right at her heels. She aims to finish what she started with her last attack.

"You'll learn not to take aim at strangers"
    Hold position and attack Archer A (E8)
    Effective Speed = 9
    Base Hit + Skill = 100 + 5 = 105
    Base Critical + Skill = 5 + 5 = 10
    Base Might + Energy = 3 + 3 = 6

Rolls: 39, 33

I'll echo Terrendos's question: do I get experience for each time I successfully hit? :D

And are there any rolls involved with stealing items? What are the mechanics for that?

Rhapsody on
    Rhapsody,

You don't get additional experience for hitting the same target multiple times. Allan got more experience because he made counterattacks against two separate targets that both hit.

In the GBA Fire Emblems at least, a Thief could just straight up steal without making any sort of roll. Don't know if that's the case here or not, however.

Ah, okay. I read the rules as "for each hit in an attack", not "at least one hit in an attack". I guess we'll wait for pigeonking to make a ruling on larceny.

Actually, in the GBA games stealing was based on speed, and occasionally also strength for heavy items (the more you know.jpg)

but since thieves always have ridiculous speed, that pretty much never comes up! Zia also fits this template, so unless i feel it's becoming way overpowered in the future or something we'll call stealing an auto-success!

edited January 2012
    In Path of Radiance you it is impossible to steal (you can't even attempt) an item with a weight greater than your strength. Pretty sure all items you could steal are an autosuccess though.

It kinda DOES make sense that you can't pickpocket someone's steel axe or lance without being a hulk, vOv. Best items to steal are usually really light anyways.

Rawkking Goodguy on
    Bump for JUSTICE,

edited January 2012
    didn't feel like updating just to say "archer is dead" since that was pretty self-evident.

just waitin' on macia, cap, no need to worry yet! The concern is heartwarming, though.

Daypigeon on
    Well, it was a multipurpose bump.

edited January 2012
    Macia [19/19] [Build 8] [Light Crossbow]

"Thanks, Healer." Macia watches the axeman meet his guts with a bored expression, kicks Gyorsul, and plops down on a dirt path south of her target.

She never gets tired of planting bolts in these magic bastards.

Move to F8, shoot the mage, then move to H5.

Roll: 90. Maaan.

Effective Speed 5 with Light Crossbow
    Base hit + Skill = 106
    Base crit = 6
    Base damage = 15

Shock G on