As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX East Trading Cards 2012 (You can mail your cards again)

• Captain Spaulding IICaptain Spaulding II [E] Marlborough, MARegistered User regular
    Izzie wrote:
    I was wondering if adding a "tail" would help at all.
    mouse_new.png

I like it better, but the tail should be on the top of the mouse, not the bottom.

• IzzieIzzie It's The Avatar BostonRegistered User regular
    Izzie wrote:
    mouse_new.png

I like it better, but the tail should be on the top of the mouse, not the bottom.

Wow. You have no idea how incredibly dumb I feel right now.
    XD Wooooppps.

http://izziebytes.net // http://twitter.com/izziebot // G+
    Terrorizing the Gaming Universe one post at a time...
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Izzie wrote:
    mouse_new.png

hehe tail goes on the other end! :P

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • MxWoodMxWood Registered User regular
    I absolutely love that the "tail" is in the wrong place... also do people still use corded mouses?

MxWood wrote:
    I absolutely love that the "tail" is in the wrong place... also do people still use corded mouses?
    Well it's retro, but it makes it more obvious what it is.
    Fixed the oopsie
    mouse_new-1.png

• testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    @Izzie, my idea was to have the whole mouse colored white, just keep the lines to denote the buttons/wheel.
    But honestly I think just adding the cord is enough... it's recognizable at a glance, now. (Maybe just cuz I'm used to staring at it, though. :))

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
    MxWood wrote:
    also do people still use corded mouses?

Most "gaming mice" are corded, due to a (completely imperceptible) potential lag caused by the wireless signal. Also so you don't have the "OMG batteries!" problem in the middle of a game.

I use a cordless and it's fine, though. <shrug>

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    MxWood wrote:
    Hmm how nerdy.of a picture am I willing to use...

Also I will do my best to help people with their cards if they need it.
    If I gave you two pictures, could you overlay one on top of the other?
    So we use two different pics?One for the front, one for the back? Or is the back (small pic) for our forum avatar?

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
    So we use two different pics?One for the front, one for the back? Or is the back (small pic) for our forum avatar?

Some use two photos, some one photo and their avatar pic, and some just used avatar/other pics with no photos... it really depends on what you want to do with it.

camo_sig2.png
    MxWood wrote:

I believe so, I am a little rusty with photoshop, haven't used it since last PAX east, but it wont take long to get the hang of it again.

Most "gaming mice" are corded, due to a (completely imperceptible) potential lag caused by the wireless signal. Also so you don't have the "OMG batteries!" problem in the middle of a game.

I use a cordless and it's fine, though. <shrug>

Yeah thats true, I have had my mouse batteries die in the middle of raiding on wow before, but they charge right next to my desk and frankly i'm so sick of that game I could care less about us dying.

• gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    MxWood wrote:
    Izzie wrote:
    MxWood wrote:
    I almost feel like its two different kinds of card now though with the back reminding me of the superhero card and the front being mtgish,
    I almost wish it was a half card on the front and a logo on the back ::Shrug:: Either way i'll be doing whatever.

Well I tried to borrow from the original PAX design which allotted for a full-sized picture with badges on one side and an avatar on the other.
    The idea you mentioned we be more true-to-form as far as MTG goes, but, it would take away a lot of space for the picture and badges. The back of the card would look really cluttered, I think.
    Anyway, I think ultimately we're just trying to emulate a style but not replicate it 100%.

I totally get the logic, it would make the info.section a bit too small, plus it does make it a trading card more than a game, guess it's about.time to breakout Photoshop. Hmm how nerdy.of a picture am I willing to use...

Yeah...ill hand you a flash drive at drill in March with my stuff :P

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
    gigabrain wrote:

oh god we're going to the cape aren't we? lame.

MxWood wrote:
    MxWood wrote:

I believe so, I am a little rusty with photoshop, haven't used it since last PAX east, but it wont take long to get the hang of it again.
    That's cool. I wanna take a pic of myself in one ME cosplay and overlay it with a pic I have of myself at the ME3 booth at Prime'11. Its the background image for the Illusive Man.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    MxWood wrote:
    gigabrain wrote:

oh god we're going to the cape aren't we? lame.

Yep...another wonderful weekend of boredom

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Gah, I haven't been paying attention to this thread. I need to get started on the site so that you guys have QR Codes for your cards, eh?

Edit: Also, I need a domain name idea, if anyone has one.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    cardsharks.com? maybe paxecardsharks.com?

signature.png
  • Magpie MaydinMagpie Maydin Magpie Maydin RuneterraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    My opinion:

My%2BPAX%2BCards.jpg

I think the tail does help the mouse a lot and if we cant change it anymore, it will be fine. But I also feel like a more "hollow/outlined" picture will be more obvious. What I mean is, Make the body white like the buttons, but go ahead and leave in the horizontal curving line that defines the button's bottom edge. I don't see many mice in that classic shape two-toned like that, so I thought it was odd the buttons were so stand-out.

I also think the background of the "mana" circles should be white; The icons have a very two-tone design, many of them very dark. I think adding in a 3rd arbitrary color, that almost blends in to the back of the card but doesn't harmonize with the busier and more saturated red texture of the background looks too different to blend and too soft to stand out as a meaningful element.

Pink and red don't really go well in my opinion, and I'd like to see the pink/peachy parts (mana symbol backgrounds, front name panel and front strength/toughness) tried out in PAX gray instead. I think having fewer, more harmonious colors will make the card more appealing.

Also, I think the badges will look better a little bigger; they could be put about 10-15 pizels higher so they don't run into the Stats box and then expanded about 25-50%. The picture area is huge and the bottom edge of a picture isn't prime real estate anyway.

Also I love the QR code thing, It's very easy to make your own that will go to a personal website, facebook, or somewhere you want to send people!

What do you guys think?

Magpie Maydin on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    Well, the QR code will hopefully be pointing to your card on the card collection website once I get it running. :D Similar to http://buttoneering.org if you haven't seen it yet.

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Still using the same design? That means I don't have to spend any money yaay.

PS maybe next year we can develop a Series 2 design?

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote:
    Still using the same design? That means I don't have to spend any money yaay.

PS maybe next year we can develop a Series 2 design?

look closer! design is not quite the same. the stat meter has been replaced by a QR code and the styling has been changed a bit to look more magic card-like rather than trading card-like (compare border and front name display to last year's template). there are a few other changed details as well, but it does still have a similar feeling to last year's card, which i think is nice.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
    I am too excited to start Photo shopping! When will these templates be up?!

• GalFridayGalFriday Community and Social Media Manager NovatoRegistered User regular
    I am too excited to start Photo shopping! When will these templates be up?!

Ditto!

@Ga1Friday is the twitter account I use to talk about everyday things. Sometimes work things. Lots of work things.
    My opinion:
    -snip-

What do you guys think?

I can definitely employ these changes. I like all these ideas. The mouse does look way better outlined.
    I think Dave and I are gonna do a final run through the cards tonight (if you have G+ and wanna join a hangout while we work on that, I think he puts up a public one. I'll double check with him, though.)

If all goes well we might have them DONE done tonight. It's very close.
    I'll be pushing for today or tomorrow. Dave should also have a "final" version of his own as an example of how it will look.

I'll have a ZIP with the 2 fonts used and the final .PSD files.
    On that note; anybody who wants to volunteer to help put these together for the masses who has dropbox, you can PM / e-mail me your e-mails and I can share the folder that has all the files.

Woop!

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Speaking of all this, has anyone contacted JakPrints this year to see if we can get a discount code or something of that nature?

dang, I am so excited to see this coming so close!

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    Speaking of all this, has anyone contacted JakPrints this year to see if we can get a discount code or something of that nature?

There should be a discount code. I have a rep there.

edited January 2012
    Izzie wrote:
    I think Dave and I are gonna do a final run through the cards tonight (if you have G+ and wanna join a hangout while we work on that, I think he puts up a public one. I'll double check with him, though.)

Made a lot of progress tonight. I expect to have the final template (or something real close) Wednesday evening.

PeasantDave on
  • HolyyakkerHolyyakker Registered User regular
    I am really considering doing this yet again and I'm hoping that I can make more meet ups. I know that was the biggest issue last year and with the whole "Easter" "Jesus died for your sins" thing on Sunday I know that might make it even harder to do a swap on the final day.

"Beware to March of Dimes" - MacBeth
    I think a swap always at the same place/time but all 3 days is best: Perhaps A half hour after the exhibition hall closes at the hand held lounge? It's easy to pass on and remember!

• LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    I'm just going to sneak up behind people and tap them on the shoulder. Once they spin around to look I'll duck out of the way and leave my trading card as evidence of my being there before scurrying the dickens away.

Flawless plan. I just have to up my dex over the next few months.

(Note: Being a wee bit facetious.)

East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
    Holyyakker wrote:
    I am really considering doing this yet again and I'm hoping that I can make more meet ups. I know that was the biggest issue last year and with the whole "Easter" "Jesus died for your sins" thing on Sunday I know that might make it even harder to do a swap on the final day.
    I think a swap always at the same place/time but all 3 days is best: Perhaps A half hour after the exhibition hall closes at the hand held lounge? It's easy to pass on and remember!

There will be more than one meetup this year. They won't be planned until the panel schedule is out though.

Lokiale wrote:
    I'm just going to sneak up behind people and tap them on the shoulder. Once they spin around to look I'll duck out of the way and leave my trading card as evidence of my being there before scurrying the dickens away.

I fully support you making that happen.

• HolyyakkerHolyyakker Registered User regular
    Lokiale wrote:

One flaw, you forgot the part where you have to steal one of their cards for yourself.

Related (kinda) comment:
    After the swap last year a friend of mine who didn't make any cards had a cool suggestion. When we meet someone we should trade like 3 cards with them. Then as the expo progresses you'll have more cards to "give out" than your own. People, when they meet can actually have a conversation "Oh who did you get? Do you have this one?" etc rather than a simple swap. It would lead to slightly longer and potentially more meaningful conversations and connections rather than just lots of micro hand waving, so to speak.

Also, for potential meets, I'd be interested in perhaps do some meal time swaps. Say at a certain food vendor at a certain time. That way we could potentially sit, eat, interact, etc. Again, the idea is to perhaps form a slightly stronger connection with fellow PAXers. I know a few of the people I met and spent more than a minute with I actually tried to stay in contact with. Others it was just very fleeting and not as satisfying, like eating a single Lays potato chip.

"Beware to March of Dimes" - MacBeth
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    Holyyakker wrote:

Related (kinda) comment:
    After the swap last year a friend of mine who didn't make any cards had a cool suggestion. When we meet someone we should trade like 3 cards with them. Then as the expo progresses you'll have more cards to "give out" than your own. People, when they meet can actually have a conversation "Oh who did you get? Do you have this one?" etc rather than a simple swap. It would lead to slightly longer and potentially more meaningful conversations and connections rather than just lots of micro hand waving, so to speak.

Also, for potential meets, I'd be interested in perhaps do some meal time swaps. Say at a certain food vendor at a certain time. That way we could potentially sit, eat, interact, etc. Again, the idea is to perhaps form a slightly stronger connection with fellow PAXers. I know a few of the people I met and spent more than a minute with I actually tried to stay in contact with. Others it was just very fleeting and not as satisfying, like eating a single Lays potato chip.

agreed. as fun as it is to just spot someone in hall and be all 'hey! you have cards! i have cards too!', for me those exchanges usually resulted in trading cards and then just dashing off because i didn't know what else to say. i am in favor of any plans to make card exchange a little more interactive.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
    I love the idea of handing out extras! It expands the web, so to speak. And if the card you hand/receive isn't your own, and has a form of contact(personal preference). Then if you really like the card, or the person represented, you could contact them and do a face to face meet.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Template is done. It will be posted tomorrow.

- Instructions will be posted for people making their own
    Holyyakker wrote:
    Lokiale wrote:

One flaw, you forgot the part where you have to steal one of their cards for yourself.

Related (kinda) comment:

I think trading extras is a fine idea because it solves two problems at once.

In 2010 we planned the meetups to be right before meals so that we could all walk down together. Schedule pending, we will be trying to do this again.

• LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    Also you completely underestimate my abilities to card swap discreetly.

8-)

East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Lokiale wrote:
    Also you completely underestimate my abilities to card swap discreetly.

8-)

Sounds like you should have been a member of the ninja delivery service

• griffin.brucegriffin.bruce MichiganRegistered User regular
    Template is done. It will be posted tomorrow.

Can't wait to start working on mine!

PAX East 2012: [X] Badge // [X] Time-off // [X] Accomodations // [ ] Travel // [X] EXCITEMENT!!!
    Twitter: @griffin_bruce GT: Nephilim Army PSN: NephilimArmy 3DS: 3523-2206-5371
    edited January 2012
    Dave2012_Front_V3_Small.pngDave2012_Back_V3_Small.png

What if I don't have photoshop or skills of an artist?

Here is all we need from you! You can post here and someone will send you a PM and sort out the details.
    Forum Name (for front and back):
    Badges:
    PAX Easts Visited:
    PAX Primes Visited (Including 2012):

Proximity to Boston:
    0-9 miles: 0
    10-50: 1
    51-100: 2
    101-500: 3
    501-1000: 4
    1001-5000: 5
    5001-10000: 6
    10001+: 7
    First Mana Icon:
    Second Mana Icon:
    Card Type (if other than "Creature - Gamer"):
    Abilities (Include cost if applicable):
    Flavor Text/Quote:
    QR Text (250 characters max):

628 x 849 300 DPI Image (for front):
    293 x 320 300 DPI Image (for back):

How do I get involved?
    Step 1: Get Photoshop, Or Find a Volunteer

Obtain a copy of photoshop or commission someone to put the card together for you. Several people have volunteered to help out. Send me a PM and I will route you to one of our volunteers. The front image is 628 x 849 pixels (300 DPI) and the back image is 293 x 320 pixels (300 DPI).

Step 2: Download templates and font

Download the font template, back template, and fonts. Make sure the fonts are loaded before you open photoshop.

Template Version 1, Updated 1/26/2011: Front | Back | MagicCardsNormal Font | Nicholas Regular Front

Step 3: Modify text and images on templates

Insert the necessary text and images to the front and back templates. The "power and toughness" are your PAX Primes attended and PAX Easts attended (including 2012), respectively. For your colorless cost you may use the following chart.

0-9 miles: 0
    10-50: 1
    51-100: 2
    101-500: 3
    501-1000: 4
    1001-5000: 5
    5001-10000: 6
    10001+: 7

Step 4: Choose badges

Choose six of the following badges on the front of the card. Do this by activating the group layer (such as Badge 1), then activating the particular layer you want. If you would like a badge that is not listed above, you can create it yourself and I will add it to the template. All of the badges are 100 x 100 pixel .PNG with transparency. If you have an image you would like turned into a badge but lack the tools, send me a PM.
    badge_byoc.pngBYOC
    badge_cookie.pngCookie Brigade
    badge_cosplat.pngCosplay
    badge_enforcer.pngEnforcer
    badge_fancydinner.pngFancy Dinner
    badge_girlsmeetup.pngGirls Meetup
    badge_irc.pngIRC
    badge_MMTE_2011.pngMagical Mystery Tour
    badge_omeganaut.pngOmeganaut
    badge_eta.pngPAX East Train Alliance
    badge_ppl_challenger.pngPAX Pokemon League Challenger
    badge_ppl_leader.pngPAX Pokemon League Leader
    badge_paxprime.pngPAX Prime
    badge_pokemon_pubcrawl.pngPokemon Pub Crawl
    badge_postdinner.pngPost PAX Dinner
    badge_predinner.pngPre-PAX Dinner
    badge_rookie.pngRookie
    badge_scavengerhunt.pngScavenger Hunt
    badge_twitter.pngTwitter

Step 5: Choose Mana Symbols

Choose two of the following mana symbols on the back of the card. Do this by activating the group layer (such as Mana Icon 1), then activating the particular layer you want.
    Console
    D20
    D6
    Deck/Cards
    HandHeld
    PC

Step 6: Create your abilities and assign mana costs

Your abilities may be whatever you like. If you want one to have a cost leave some spacing before the colon and enable the appropriate line and cost layer.

Step 7: Generate and copy QR code

Go to qrcode.kaywa.com use any URL or Text (less than 250 characters) you like. The Large size fits pretty well into the spot on the template.

Step 8: Choose Card Number

Let me know that you need a number and I will give you the next unused number.

Step 9: Create An Account On jakprints

https://www.jakprints.com/account/entry.php

Step 10: Create an order

First click on the blue Order tab in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Next under "Full Color Printing Orders" click the Place Order button.

You can use the following information as a template.

Name Your Project: Lastname PAX Cards 2011
    Promotional Code: PAXEAST12 (for orders of 100 or more)
    Product: Postcards
    Stock: 12pt Gloss Cardstock (heavy)
    Quantity: 100
    Finished Size: 2.5 x 3.5 inches
    Ink Side One: Full Color (4)
    Ink Side Two: Full Color (4)
    Proof: No proof (printed as is)
    $10 Discount: Select "No" - the tagline discount is not applicable with any other promotions, such as this one.
    File Prep Instructions: No
    Standard Turnaround

Step 11: Upload Image Files

Click on the blue Upload Files button, then the green Upload Files button. You will need to upload the flattened version of your card files.

I received my order one week after I finalized it.

How will I find people to trade with?

Last year people were able to find other "card sharks" by simply placing a card in their badge holder. The forum badge holders are large enough to fix your forum card, your PAX badge and your trading card. We will also be having a meetup each day during PAX.

A printable checklist will be provided about a week before PAX.

You can also watch twitter for people using the #paxcards tag!

Can I help with anything?

- Create "badges" for community events. If you would like a badge that is not listed above, you can create it yourself and I will add it to the template. All of the badges are 100 x 100 pixel .PNG with transparency. If you have an image you would like turned into a badge but lack the tools, send me a PM.

- Volunteer to help create trading cards for people who lack the tools.

What is the deadline?

If you get your order out by March 20th you'll be fine. If you wait longer than that, you may need to rush the order depending on where you live.

I have another question!

Ask whatever you like in the thread! Someone should be able to answer your question relatively quickly.

PeasantDave on
This discussion has been closed.