As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dust 514] Internet Cyborg Space Marines

ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in MMO Extravaganza
What it is

A MMOFPS that will be released exclusively for the PS3 on the tentative date of "Summer 2012."

As a player, you are an immortal soldier, created using ancient human technology to vie for the control of planets in the Eve Online universe. Effectively, you will join player corporations (much like in Eve) to fight in epic battles on the faces of many planets. Like Eve, combat will involve sets of racially specific weapons, each of which is heavily customizable.

Basically, you get to play a guy in powered armour, running around blowing things up with lasers and other sci-fi implements of death in an effort to contorl planets, earn money and repeat this process.

The Novel

Templar One covers the introduction lore behind the new immortal soldiers and basically the gist on how they came to be. If you have read his previous Eve novel, "Empyrean Age," you are probably giving this a wide berth. Surprisingly enough, Gonzales totally changed his writing style, drastically improved his pacing and made this new book a very interesting read.

Videos

Early Trailer
Very Early Gameplay Preview
Future Vision Trailer
E3 Gameplay/Trailer
A Decent Explanation of Dust's Integration
Terrible Video CCP Tricked Dust Fans With
Some Informative Links

The Official Website

Dust514.org - A moderately useful fan website

Dust 514 Base - A relatively informative blog from the little I've read it

Beta Information

You can sign up for the beta currently if you are an active Eve Online subscriber. There has been no real news as to when these keys will be released, only rampant speculation and dreaming.

Comahawk on

• EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Yeah i was all for this till i heard it was PS3 exclusive...when EvE's fanbase is entirely on the PC thats a pretty dumb decision.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    Yeah i was all for this till i heard it was PS3 exclusive...when EvE's fanbase is entirely on the PC thats a pretty dumb decision.

This has been debated a lot on the Eve-O forums.

It comes down to CCP likely attempting to grab another sort of fan base, basically trying to avoid drawing players off of Eve. On top of that, there is much more of a market for FPS games on consoles. Also, as to being PS3 exclusive, it was apparently intended for the 360 and PS3, until Microsoft would not allow CCP to control the multiplayer server (or something along those lines), which ultimately didn't work with their intended model.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Yep, Microsoft wants control of game servers for anything that uses Live.

The exception is EA, which they have a deal with that lets EA run their own servers.

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    Well if this works the way I think it will, PS3 mercs will become the most valuable resource in the game. Now, I'm not an e-rich man, but I can shoot faces off like woah. My meager mining ventures could be obsolete soon..

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Echo wrote:

The exception is EA, which they have a deal with that lets EA run their own servers.

Square, too, I'd guess since there's a version of FFXI for the 360.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote:
    Echo wrote:

Square, too, I'd guess since there's a version of FFXI for the 360.

That's mainly because Microsoft likes to say they even have an MMO on the service, whether or not very many people use the 360 to play it.

488W936.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So this is what people of scared of over what happened to vampire

Still I know Eve is a computer game but why the PS3?

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Trying to break into new markets.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    i feel like it's p likely they'll release it on the PC as soon as their exclusivity contract with MS is up

there's gotta be a jillion examples of that happening in the past we could think of

not me personally though

reposig.jpg
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Exclusivity contract with Microsoft? It isn't being released on the 360.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    Also it would make little sense, as they would then have console and PC FPS players fighting alongside and against one another. This would result in pissing off the console players as they would have little to no chance of survival.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I wanted this game so bad. But I only have a 360 and a PC.

• SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    I heard this was coming out for the PSV as well, is this true?
    Might actually buy a PSV then (once it price drops).

steam_sig.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote:
    I wanted this game so bad. But I only have a 360 and a PC.

What is this I don't even.
  • ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    Maybe I'm simple, but it seems like It'd be pretty silly for them to release a FPS on the 360.

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    OK so to step passed the, they are only releasing this game on the ps3 arguments can we talk about the game please.

I love that ccp is keeping alot of the elements that make eve different and applying them to a FPS

I have compiled some notes which I then compressed and made into a pdf. I only included confirmed information from the devs.

http://dl.eve-files.com/media/1201/dust_notes.pdf

I'm really looking forward to an fps where the matches I play in actually mean something, other than a few numbers on a page.

Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    yeah, now they will mean numbers in a spreadsheet

anyway, do we know much about how this actually will play yet? The brief previews make it look pretty generic shooter-y.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    yeah, now they will mean numbers in a spreadsheet

anyway, do we know much about how this actually will play yet? The brief previews make it look pretty generic shooter-y.

Well, it is a shooter, so I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for...

The longer, very early preview I linked actually gives a more in depth look at the gameplay. It seems to be a bit more tactically oriented than many FPSes, but in all honesty, not a whole lot is really known at this point as to specifics.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Comahawk wrote:
    Also it would make little sense, as they would then have console and PC FPS players fighting alongside and against one another. This would result in pissing off the console players as they would have little to no chance of survival.

http://www.dust514.org/ Dec 21st Entry:

"Will CCP be making sure the Sharpshooter/Move will be fully competitive with DS3 users?

We are dedicated to making a smooth integration for the SONY Move. But we also want to allow choices for the players. Some may prefer DS3, while others may go with Move and still others might want to use keyboard and mouse. We will be providing more details on this later on."

If they do that, then awesome. I would love to play with a keyboard and mouse again.

A new article discussing Dust and Eve integration. Also other aspects of Eve Online development.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Interestingly enough, I just spotted this article on massively this morning. Apparently DUST514 will be setting up "The Rules" for future micro-transaction titles on PSN. Ergo, Sony and CCP are hammering out the deets for us plebs.

26904.png
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Stupid wrote:
    Interestingly enough, I just spotted this article on massively this morning. Apparently DUST514 will be setting up "The Rules" for future micro-transaction titles on PSN. Ergo, Sony and CCP are hammering out the deets for us plebs.

Pay seventy-five dollars, get a golden combat helmet.

Edit: Just don't die before it's equipped, though.

Archonex on
    Stupid wrote:

From the same article:
    Finally, Petursson tells Develop that the PlayStation Vita version of DUST will "give people access to more asynchronous parts of the game." While he doesn't commit one way or the other, it's possible that the portable version of the game will connect to both the PlayStation 3 and PC versions via EVE's universal ISK currency.

Fo shame, potentially.
    I thought the PSV would just run the PS3 game with no alternations, but this sounds a bit like you won't really be part of the greater ecosystem.

steam_sig.png
    My bet, based on what was said at E3 the vita will allow you to do things like build you fits when your not at home, manage PI, monitor and participate in text comms (maybe even voice if the vita can work it) and various other non combat portions of the game. I never figured they would be running dust fully on the vita.

Original Creepy Janitor

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    I've been curious about DUST for years now simply because I want to see how they plan to integrate it into EVE.

I wonder if it does well will there be an xbox option in the future?

Sadly Microsoft have said that if they want it to be on the xbox it would have to run on Microsofts servers, could not be connected to eve, and everything would have to run thru the live system, and their update structure, where you can not change more than 4% of the base code without having to build a full new release. which would basicly gut the game.

if you read my notes, linked above, you can see what they are going for, they have the orbital bombardment and the skyfire system working already, text chat, it's going to run on tranquility, the corps/alliances will be shared so your bunny and your pilot can be in the same corp and thus easily transfer funds, so you can easily twink your bunny

Original Creepy Janitor

rucdoc wrote:
    My bet, based on what was said at E3 the vita will allow you to do things like build you fits when your not at home, manage PI, monitor and participate in text comms (maybe even voice if the vita can work it) and various other non combat portions of the game. I never figured they would be running dust fully on the vita.

Hype lost.
    While this sounds nice and all, I was hoping to play DUST without having to pony up cash for a PS3.

steam_sig.png
    edited January 2012
    Sorry man.

But for those willing to get, or that already have, a ps3 this will change everything, even if it falls out of the sky and sinks Iceland.

The ambition here is really what games should be doing. Why not expand a product you already make, market it to a new segment of the world, and then let the two interact in meaningful ways and make it so that instead of two communities, have one giant community for every player.

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

• EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    rucdoc wrote:
    Sorry man.

But for those willing to get, or that already have, a ps3 this will change everything, even if it falls out of the sky and sinks Iceland.

The ambition here is really what games should be doing. Why not expand a product you already make, market it to a new segment of the world, and then let the two interact in meaningful ways and make it so that instead of two communities, have one giant community for every player.

Its not ambitious if its exclusive to one system. Thats the opposite of ambitious. Especially when EvE is PC based. I think there will be a lot of people who will be unable to play it who otherwise would have if it had been on PC as well as PS3 (Like me.) its just lost money, each and everyone person whos in the same boat as me.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    rucdoc wrote:
    Sorry man.

Its not ambitious if its exclusive to one system. Thats the opposite of ambitious. Especially when EvE is PC based. I think there will be a lot of people who will be unable to play it who otherwise would have if it had been on PC as well as PS3 (Like me.) its just lost money, each and everyone person whos in the same boat as me.

They don't want to eat their PC market and haven't ruled out a future pc release. As mentioned countless times, they couldn't come to an agreement with Microsoft for 360 so PS3 it is for now.

Developing for PC at the same time now also costs money.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
    I've been curious about DUST for years now simply because I want to see how they plan to integrate it into EVE.

This will happen right after MSoft relax their XBox control freakery for the benefit of a minor icelandic game company.

(ie: No)

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    V1m wrote:

This will happen right after MSoft relax their XBox control freakery for the benefit of a minor icelandic game company.

(ie: No)

Bah! Lie to me damn you!

Fine, I don't even care. They probably won't even include soldier spinning so I'm prematurely hating it.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    They're from Iceland? It's like they're bond villains on an island who work on video games.

• ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I still can't believe they'll only launch this on the PS3. I liked playing EVE, you know, on the PC and I would have enjoyed playing this spinoff on the PC as well. As it is on the PS3 I will not buy it and I'm not sure what kind of market they're expecting for it either when they alienate their previous playerbase by using an entirely different platform for the game.

I'd get it if Dust 514 was an entirely separate product but they've chosen to deeply relate and integrate it with the PC game EVE online, so all of this just seems like a really strange move to me.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    God, how many times.

Look at it from CCP's point of view, and bear in mind the original project was to capture some of the console market:

(1) You want some of that sweet, sweet console market candy
    (2) But Microsoft impose limitations on X-Box games that exclude your model in several ways
    (3) You asked if they'd make an exception for you and they told you to die in a fire
    (4) Meanwhile you've managed to massively alienate the customer base of the one product which is actually bringing in any money! And you had to fire 20% of your employees!
    (5) And you're a smallish, self-publishing developer so you really need to get this done cheaply
    (6) And Sony will give you a hefty-sack full of $100 bills to develop this as a PS3 exclusive release
    (7) That means it can only be available for the PS3 for a year
    (8) But your game is developed on the UT3 engine, so it's not going to be the hardest development challenge in history to produce a PC version now is it?
    (9) But you really can't give that hefty-sack back now, or you'll have to fire another 10-15% of your guys, and Sony will probably throw your game off the PS3, and as you already can't get an Xbox release, then that obviates the whole point of the project to start with.
    (10) Why not keep your Icelandic trap shut and quietly ensure that you have a PC port that can be released 1 year plus 1 second after the PS3 release?

• NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    They want to tap into the sweet sweet console market on the least popular console 6 years after it came out and they do so by creating a PS3 exclusive game intrinsically tied to a PC game that very few people care about. It's so dumb.

Also, as a very dedicated EVE player I can tell you that they are absolutely horrible at gameplay and action which is what they need to excel at when it comes to an FPS game. I honestly don't think this game will do well at all.

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
    You want to know why Dust is a PS3 exclusive? Because PC ist the master race, and this game shows that console players are our bitches. We manage the corporations, they're just our pawns.

(:p joking)

Neli wrote:
    They want to tap into the sweet sweet console market on the least popular console 6 years after it came out and they do so by creating a PS3 exclusive game intrinsically tied to a PC game that very few people care about. It's so dumb.

Also, as a very dedicated EVE player I can tell you that they are absolutely horrible at gameplay and action which is what they need to excel at when it comes to an FPS game. I honestly don't think this game will do well at all.

Good job they used a well-tested off-the-shelf engine and hired a studio of Shanghai merc programmers to do the actual work then.

You don't have to tell me that CCP are horrible at gameplay; I've been banging that drum for years now. What they are good at is setting up a game where the players provide the gameplay for each other.

Let's also not forget that the PC FPS genre is not even remotely close in sales to the console FPS. On that point alone, it is worth releasing Dust for consoles. Even if a small fraction of the population that bought games such as BF3 and CoD pick up Dust, it will out-do potential sales were it to be a PC only game.

I love how angry some Eve players get about this. Here and the Eve-O forums have shown the entitled nature of the player base, as they continously state "I do not own a PS3 and wanted this for the PC, so CCP should make it for the PC or they won't get my money!" This is done without realizing, that if you don't own a PS3, you weren't in their original targetted audience anyways! So, ultimately, your perception of the game is somewhat moot, you will not be buying it as you lack the capacity to anyways.