As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Western Animation thread

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Pushed back to 2013.

• lordlundarlordlundar Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote:
    So I am currently watching this:
    cyber.jpg
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybersix

And it's actually pretty good! I especially love how fluid a lot of the animations are and Cybersix's cape looks amazing in motion.
    Yes, It was a very good show. Unfortunately they stopped just as the Doctor decided to take matters into his own hands instead of letting his son deal with her.

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Pushed back to 2013.

Was this ever confirmed by anyone attached to the show? I only saw it printed unsourced at that one website. Wikipedia still has the show at mid-2012.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Whenever Nick feels like it.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Quietly waiting for the second season of Avengers: EMH

Seriously, when is this starting.

Also waiting for the next season of Transformers: Prime.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Prime's coming out next month.

• MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Tertiee wrote:
    Young Justice getting another hiatus, no new episodes in Cartoon Network's January schedule.

DAMMIT.

And no word on Transformer: Prime yet either.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    MrDapper wrote:

I swear, their scheduling people are psychotic.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    MrDapper wrote:

The dribble of Avatar Book Three was a great example of that.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Tertiee wrote:
    Young Justice getting another hiatus, no new episodes in Cartoon Network's January schedule.

DAMMIT.

And no word on Transformer: Prime yet either.

February, man.

• MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    I GUESS I can wait ...

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
    edited January 2012
    MrDapper wrote:

The third season of Avatar will always stick out in my mind as some of the worst handling of a popular TV show.

Ms Dapper on
    2ohWien.png
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    MrDapper wrote:
    MrDapper wrote:

The third season of Avatar will always stick out in my mind as some of the worst handling of a popular TV show.

I believe the novelization of Sozin's Comet came out in April, while the episodes of it came out in July. This is a fail.

I ultimately blame Mattel. :P

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote:
    Ultimate Spiderman is suppose to debut on March looking forward to that.

More importantly when do we get Avatar?!

Last we heard officially was 2013, but completed episodes have started leaking out already so who knows. Personally, I'd be shocked if Nick starts airing them until the first 12 are in the can, which might take a while.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    So, what exactly are we getting between now and March?

Because I'd hate to miss Tron. Or Spidey. Or YJ. Or Thundercats. Or even DB GT reruns.

Also, when do we get Bob's Burgers? I miss it dearly.

• NovidNovid Registered User regular
    Folks, i think being somewhat in the industry does give me a bit of pause - but folks, there is a sense somebody is planning some sort of crunchroll type thing for the US industry. Its just rumors. But im not liking it one bit even when hulu has a lot of US content. Part of the reason is because of the Disney being the leader, others saying other shows are not represented enough and others say if it works for "the Genre" then it can work for us.

I cannot give any opinion on SOPA but if it passes its becomes a invlitablity.

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I like crunchyroll. I don't like catoonnetwork's version. I like Hulu. I like netflix. I don't like the hub's version. If Disney lead something like that, it would probably mean no nick, no hub, no cn, etc, so it probably won't be that great.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Forgive a stupid question, but "crunchroll"?
    I'm probably way out of touch but it's not ringing any bells...

PikaPuff wrote:
    I like crunchyroll. I don't like catoonnetwork's version. I like Hulu. I like netflix. I don't like the hub's version. If Disney lead something like that, it would probably mean no nick, no hub, no cn, etc, so it probably won't be that great.

certain people in government would want it that way - if one knew about how Crunchy got there money in the first place.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    see317 wrote:
    Forgive a stupid question, but "crunchroll"?
    I'm probably way out of touch but it's not ringing any bells...

http://www.crunchyroll.com/

it's like Hulu for animes

• Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    Novid wrote:
    Folks, i think being somewhat in the industry does give me a bit of pause - but folks, there is a sense somebody is planning some sort of crunchroll type thing for the US industry. Its just rumors. But im not liking it one bit even when hulu has a lot of US content. Part of the reason is because of the Disney being the leader, others saying other shows are not represented enough and others say if it works for "the Genre" then it can work for us.

A crunchyroll for Western animation would be great, but likewise hearing that Disney would be at the helm makes me nervous about its potential. But if it works it would be fantastic.

• Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    Crunchyroll? I think I ordered that at a sushi restaurant once...

Uh, is anybody actually excited for the Tron show? I find it hard to care about it, just because Tron Legacy turned out so poorly.

Novid wrote:

A crunchyroll for Western animation would be great, but likewise hearing that Disney would be at the helm makes me nervous about its potential. But if it works it would be fantastic.

actually, its in spite of Disney i didnt clear that up... the rumor goes like Disney has everybody by the balls forcing the other two nets to do the same thing they doing for ad rates. their some who sees crunchy as a model to get people to watch the programs they cant see or are not popular enough to make it more popular and that this whole Tween thing has outlived its usefulness. The Nick ratings thing however is showing they have a lineup problem and a episode problem (and this goes for all of the nets) rather than a Piracy problem. This is made even clear when Family Guy and the rest are under a 8 day pay wall, majority of Warners Lineup is under the TV everywhere thing etc and now they feel emboldened since a majority of the Japanese business is talking to Crunchy and they want the same deal for the US.

that isnt going to happen.

To be honest, it's not just animation -- currently all the networks/studios have the same mindset as the music industry did a decade ago. Namely, make watching over the internet as expensive/annoying as possible.

I'd like to think that they'll get their act together eventually like the music industry did, but it's going to take some time.

• KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    So, you guys think Avengers will get a third season? Or will Marvel fuck up their animated work as usual?

Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
    You'd think they would, since they could easily ride the popularity of the movie. Or maybe they plan to link up with that through a slow burn of the 26 eps of season two they have in the can? I dunno.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    It's rare for any animated series to get more than two 26-episode seasons. One they hit the magic "Enough to sell a year of weekly syndication" number, they usually get cancelled. That's why you don't see five-seven season runs that often for even the highest rated shows

It's rare for any animated series to get more than two 26-episode seasons. One they hit the magic "Enough to sell a year of weekly syndication" number, they usually get cancelled. That's why you don't see five-seven season runs that often for even the highest rated shows

This reminds of the Angry Beavers bashing Nick for that very reason.

2ohWien.png
  • KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Marvel should be trying to make their shows surpass the 76 episode count of the X-Men TAS, in my opinion. I remember way back when Evolution was still on the air, I honestly thought it had a chance to surpass (or at least come close to) the episode count of TAS.

Everyone did.

But I once again overestimated Marvel's intelligence when it comes to their animated adaptions.

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
    Marvel should be trying to make their shows surpass the 76 episode count of the X-Men TAS, in my opinion. I remember way back when Evolution was still on the air, I honestly thought it had a chance to surpass (or at least come close to) the episode count of TAS.

Everyone did.

But I once again overestimated Marvel's intelligence when it comes to their animated adaptions.

It wasn't really a matter of Marvel's intelligence.... as Phillishere said, animated shows are tending to get shorter runs nowadays, and Evolution came out at a time when the expectation that the average long-running show would get at least 65 episodes had faded.

Oh, in case you haven't seen it by now, the most awesome New York Times correction ever:
    Correction: December 30, 2011

An article on Monday about Jack Robison and Kirsten Lindsmith, two college students with Asperger syndrome who are navigating the perils of an intimate relationship, misidentified the character from the animated children’s TV show “My Little Pony” that Ms. Lindsmith said she visualized to cheer herself up. It is Twilight Sparkle, the nerdy intellectual, not Fluttershy, the kind animal lover.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/26/us/navigating-love-and-autism.html?_r=1

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    The day... is saved. 8-)

Rise from your grave!

Well, people have been wondering when the next season of the Avengers starts to air, and when that new Ultimate Spider-Man thing arrives. Well, for those of you who get Disney XD, the answer is the same: April 1.

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2012/01/the_avengers_cartoon_reassembles_on_april_1st.php

Also, Clark Gregg is in Ultimate Spidey. Don't know who he is? Sure ya do: he's only been in most of the recent Marvel movies as SHIELD agent Coulson, and he'll be SHIELD agent Coulson in Ultimate Spidey too. The Web-head ought to really drive the poor guy nuts. Also, don't forget that J.K. Simmons will be J. Jonah Jameson. Bask in his glory!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_r_mkJMPZWE#t=34s

• DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    More Wakfu? Why yes, of course! Brush off those rusty french lessons, gentlemen!

http://www.wakfu.com/fr/serie/medias/video-evenement/283982-episode-20-saison-2-zinit

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Yesssssss more Avengers. Hulk is the best.

Have to agree with the article, even if the movie sucks we will still have the awesome cartoon.

• DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Also, Clark Gregg is in Ultimate Spidey. Don't know who he is? Sure ya do: he's only been in most of the recent Marvel movies as SHIELD agent Coulson, and he'll be SHIELD agent Coulson in Ultimate Spidey too. The Web-head ought to really drive the poor guy nuts. Also, don't forget that J.K. Simmons will be J. Jonah Jameson. Bask in his glory!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_r_mkJMPZWE#t=34s

Would be cool if Marvel used it's animated properties to bring their otherwise licensed characters into the avengers universe.

Not that anyone ever does many theatrical animated releases but I wonder if they could get around licensing issues by releasing animated movies or even shorts before features.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I watched the latest Friendship is Magic episode, and the wagon chase scene is bothering me.

Why would they use wagons? It makes no sense. Think about it.

The horses run at their top speed as individuals. Yoking them to a wagon or carriage just slows them down. This means that Applejack running on her own would be faster and able to run longer on her own. Not to mention that she's an athlete and the draught horses presumably are not.

As for the ones chasing her, Rainbow Dash is fast enough to break the sound (or rainbow) barrier, so she would have no problem catching up to Applejack. Yet, for some reason, she yoked herself to the slow Fluttershy and started pulling a wagon weighed down by three other ponies.

Decent episode, though. Especially the bit at the beginning. I admire Lauren Faust for giving the developmentally disabled pony a speaking role.

TeaSpoon on
  • Wandering IdiotWandering Idiot Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    TeaSpoon wrote:
    I watched the latest Friendship is Magic episode, and the wagon chase scene is bothering me.

http://mylittlefacewhen.com/f/2240/

(i.e., because the writers really wanted a Ben-Hur chariot race in the episode)

If you want to fanwank it, it was because they all wanted to talk to Applejack at once, and the Pegasus ponies would be able to use the cart to get the others over any obstacles, as demonstrated. RD ignored the original intent later, but that's because she's kind of a dick when losing is on the line.

I would say I'm ashamed to remember the proper name for the Pony classification, but really I don't give a fuck. Pinkie Pie is hilarious, and I will cut anyone who says otherwise.

Wandering Idiot on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Alfred J. Kwak on
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    TeaSpoon wrote:

http://mylittlefacewhen.com/f/2240/

(i.e., because the writers really wanted a Ben-Hur chariot race in the episode)

If you want to fanwank it, it was because they all wanted to talk to Applejack at once, and the Pegasus ponies would be able to use the cart to get the others over any obstacles, as demonstrated. RD ignored the original intent later, but that's because she's kind of a dick when losing is on the line.

I would say I'm ashamed to remember the proper name for the Pony classification, but really I don't give a fuck. Pinkie Pie is hilarious, and I will cut anyone who says otherwise.

Or they wanted to be able to sprint with little fatigue if necessary.

This discussion has been closed.