As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Share With Us Your Sordid and Recent Past

• ackack Registered User regular
    were u poundin, man?

• BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    owned.jpg

sig-1.jpg
  • ackack Registered User regular
    hahaha

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    5 Years ago?

That would make it 2007. I'd be mid way through my 2nd year of Uni, trying and failing to do some work for my degree.

I always look back on this time and think "probably should have worked harder, I only got a 2:2 because I was out on the lash too much".

But then I think, would my life had been much different if I had a 2:1 instead? I'm honestly not sure. I still graduated Uni in 2008, when the financial crisis was really kicking off. I don't think that 2:1 i could have got would have changed my situation much.

Oh and I was dating someone back then. That was nice. I should try and do that more often.

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I was... Exactly where I am now but with one less baby

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    seriously i could've sworn gatsby was like 25

anyway i was sixteen i was in high school bored and miserable but in retrospect not unusually so

now i have a degree and a life plan and have travelled a bit and had a serious relationship and i've moved out of home and i write every day

i've been feeling weirdly down this last couple of days but these life comparison threads have cheered me right the fuck up

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    2007 was probably the second worst year of my life. Nearing the end of my engineering degree, burnt out and just not giving a fuck. Had to write a thesis that I just did not care about. So very painful.

At the end of that year I got the worst job of my life, as a building services engineer. I hated the work, hated a lot of the people there and basically only stayed there because where else would I go?

Anyway then the global financial crisis hit, and I got laid off. Spent the next year (which happened to be the worst year of my life) in existential crisis mode, being a useless piece of shit all day, half-heartedly applying for scraps of engineering jobs I didn't care about.

Then I realised fuck it, I hated my dead engineering career anyway, I'm going to do something I actually like. So now I'm back at uni studying computer science, loving it and doing really well and am basically happier than I've ever been.

broken image link
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    5 years ago I was 18, in art school making the worst financial decision of my life, and also kind of a poop head

• DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    5 years I ago I was trapped in a loveless relationship with my ex, who was expecting my child at the time. I'd been with her three months, and had already tried to bail on the relationship twice, when she found out she was pregnant.

I stayed with her for about 3 years after that, until I realised that staying with her for the sake of our daughter wasn't doing anyone any good. Things have been pretty consistently aces since breaking up with her. I see my daughter every weekend and, though I'd like to see her every day I think she's happier knowing that me and her mum are happy apart.

So yeah, that's me.

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I had just gotten my Master's degree (my consolation prize for trying for a phd and.. not getting one) I was just starting a job that barely required a bachelor's that wasn't all that related to my degree ( went for pchem and lasers got a job as an inorganic analytical chemist. OK, so it was chemistry but )
    Now I am still an inorganic analytical chemist.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    I was 17 and in the middle of my junior year of High School. I was in drama club, I was depressed, and I was a lot fatter. Now I'm less depressed and in the Navy and skinnier too.

Oh my god.

Dogs.jpg
  • CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    In January of 07 I think I had just gotten benefits at the tv station I was working at, but only working like 32 hours a week.

We had just found out our first kid was on the way so I was nervous as shit but trying to play it cool.

We were living in a house that we didn't own, basically borrowing it from my parents

My wife of 2 years was just finishing her masters degree and certifiably freaking out about afore mentioned kid on the way

Now we have 2 kids, own our own house after we were kicked out of my parents, the wife has a fine job as a speech pathologist at a rehab hospital, I've left the tv industry behind and work at a steel mill

I hope to one day get back into tv but I'm not sure in what capacity that can match the money I'm making now

XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    in 2007, i was 24, been at my job for only a year or so, terrified i'd be fired at any moment. Still doing my same old stuff. I think I was dumber back then? Definitely skinnier.

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    Also 07 was the year I started lurking D&D, occasionally I would dip into SE++ and laugh at all the weirdos

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2012
    I hope to one day get back into tv but I'm not sure in what capacity that can match the money I'm making now

Defluffer for Skinemax

Garlic Bread on
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    2007 was also the year I started lurking as well.

2008 I finally made an account and stuck with SE++ all because I saw the timeline of the Draw A Horse event.

Keith wrote:

Defluffer for Skinemax

I actually think working with glowing red hot metal is safer

Keith wrote:

Defluffer for Skinemax

I actually think working with glowing red hot metal is safer

Depending on the flick, those aren't mutually exclusive

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Five years ago I was completing the last phase of my training to become the world's sexiest detective.

I failed.

I was also 23, had just finished a pointless poli sci degree, and had moved back home to the suburbs where I had a rocky relationship with my recently-divorced father. It sucked a lot, but I did geta job at a computer store, which ended up being a lot of fun since some awesome people worked there. I was in a long-distance casual relationship with an older woman who was using me for sex. It took me a while to figure that one out.

In the next year I would move downtown, go to art school and become a fair tick more mature and emotionally stable.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    January '07 eh?

I'd just turned 22. The first 3/4 of my first year of living in Texas were behind me. I got my first job since moving to Texas (didn't get my license 'til a month and a half before, so I wasn't able to even try until recently) (and on that note the months-long cabin fever I was under, since there's no sidewalks / public trans, ended). A friend I hit it off really damn well with and I were figuring out our feelings for each other (a month later we decided to start dating, albeit long-distance). So how were things? Things were looking fucking up. It was the most hopeful time ever living in Texas.

Five years later? Rock bottom, worst moment of living in Texas. Not getting into it.

Rolo: emotionally stable

• ErlecErlec Registered User regular
    In the 07' I was in high school not excited for any subjects and just passing life along.
    Same now just doing a BA, though have done military service and think I'm a bit more nicer a person.... not sure though.

steam_sig.png
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    07, huh? I don't think the bottom had dropped out of my marriage yet, but I was delivering pizza and not going to school so

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    A story thread?

Well well well...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • HeavyVillainHeavyVillain Registered User regular
    lessee i was 18, and I had lost a lot of weight

I mean like thirty or fourty pounds of weight.. I was 300+ at one point

and I guess I was a bit of a prick. bit cocky, bounced from one end of the scale to other cos Id gone from being a boulder to a mountain sortof thing

I've always been plagued by weakness in my side because of a childhood accident but working out had really changed that a lot. still had days where my arm was numb but my grip and lifting strength went up like dramatically and it wasnt obvious anymore that I had something up with me. Used to get called a spastic and all sorts because I was all twitchy and limp sometimes but then, and especially now.. basically nothing noticeable now

I'd failed to get into uni but I didnt let it get me down cos I was still in Brighton back then and surrounded by friends. I had a bad track record with girls but that was mostly cos I locked up and became a different person around them, i didnt work normally and overthinked things and generally just decided the world was out to get me and gave up on it and decided itd happen naturaly when the time was right (..which turned out to be right but fuck its still a stupid attitude to have)

And then in those the next five years things just got better and better for me. there was the odd hiccup but yeah, it was good. Met a perfect woman had a great job as a receptionst and admin and sailed off t new pastures. I sometime dont feel like I deserve any of it but I am a very very lucky person :)

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Rolo: emotionally stable

Nah, just more.

• AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    January 2007. Just turned 22, was on hometown recruiting after finishing basic and AIT. Within the year I was in Iraq and married to my lovely wife. Since then I've gotten out of the military and gotten a job working on the "other side". Back overseas now, trying to get alot of our debt payed off so the wife will stop worrying so much about my charitable contributions. Well, that and peace of mind and buying a house.

• ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    In 2007 I was a freshman in college, realizing how unhappy I was in a long distance relationship with my girlfriend from high school. I eventually cheated on her (sordid!) because I was too immature/cowardly to just end it.

But I made a lot of really good friends, graduated, and grew up a lot since then. I even have a pretty alright job.

• ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    i was 12. it was okay.

• GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    I think January 2008 was when I met Kopparberg, my future lover

Projeck wrote:
    i was 12. it was okay.

You joined the forums when you were 10?

Good lord I feel so guilty now.

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    I was probably at a bar somewhere

Or in class

Or in class after a bar

7656367.jpg
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I was 19 and living with my mom.

Now I'm 24 and not living with my mom.

Net positive

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    5 years ago I was 21 and was getting ready for our organization's big event. I was depressed because it was the event we'd been working at for an entire year and my parents were like "do we have to go?" so I just flatout told them no. We shattered our money-raising goal that year (goal as $750,000 and we raised $880,900) and when we had the leadership team brunch the next day, I was the only person without parents there.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    I was a dateless wonder in 2007

Still am, actually

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    january '07 i was eighteen, in my last semester of high school, had been in a relationship with a girl for a year and a half (now my fiance), and was completely full of myself because i got good grades and gonna be an engineer and i read ayn rand

i am now [hopefully] less full of myself, living on my own with a degree and a job and planning a wedding

Squall on
    I was a dateless wonder in 2007

Still am, actually

Let's get drinks

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    2 fuzzy navels, coming right up

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    body shots

Squall wrote:
    january '07 i was eighteen, in my last semester of high school, had been in a relationship with a girl for a year and a half (now my fiance), and was completely full of myself because i got good grades and gonna be an engineer and i read ayn rand

i am now [hopefully] less full of myself, living on my own with a degree and a job and planning a wedding

no longer reading ayn rand, I hope