As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Oscars 2012, or: YaYa probably can't run the pool this year

13»

• FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    dang no fassbender

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    And the multiple-category nominees,

11: Hugo

10: The Artist

6: Moneyball
    6: War Horse

5: The Descendants
    5: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

4: Midnight in Paris

3: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
    3: The Help
    3: The Tree of Life
    3: Albert Nobbs
    3: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
    3: Transformers: Dark of the Moon

2: Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
    2: My Week with Marilyn
    2: A Separation
    2: Bridesmaids

That's a lot for Hugo.

SabreMau on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Ugh, Midnight in Paris is shit on a croissant.

• BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    it was a fun movie

and worth it for the bit with dali alone

• BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    aww man, tintin is only up for soundtrack?

it was so good

• 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    FAQ wrote:
    dang no fassbender

Yeah, this is my biggest surprise.

The fact that Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close got a best picture nom is my biggest disappointment.

Take Shelter was my underdog choice, but I'm not surprised it didn't get a nomination.

KalTorak wrote:
    Ugh, Midnight in Paris is shit on a croissant.

Nope. It was really good. Woody Allen's best work in a good long while.

The fact that Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close got a best picture nom is my biggest disappointment.

There were a few people in the audience at the nomination announcement ceremony who were quite excited about this nomination. They also cheered Max von Sydow's supporting actor nomination for it.

• thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    drive didn't even get a nomination for cinematography? what?

campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I heard great things about Midnight in Paris going in and was hoping for something at the level of Vicky Christina Barcelona or Match Point.

Instead every character is a goddamn cartoon without a shred of depth or sympathy.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I thought Midnight in Paris was fun! But, it wasn't much more than fluff.

Yay Hugo! It was probably the best film I saw last year, but I did not see many (certainly not The Artist or Drive or The Descendents or Moneyball, etc.)

I think the best way to make a guess at best picture this year is to just whittle them down. There's no stand out winner at all.

Movies that won't win:

- Midnight in Paris
    - The Help
    - Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
    - Moneyball
    - Warhorse

That leaves The Artist, The Descendants, The Tree of Life, and Hugo.

The Artist seems to have the most buzz around it, and it's got a neat gimmick to boot. I'd say it's got a solid chance. I think it's the film that the crowd will want to win, but won't really expect to.

The Descendants already took the Golden Globe, but I kind of doubt it'll take best picture. Alexander Payne has a screenplay win for Sideways, but he's never directed anything that's come even close to deserving best picture until now. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this won, but I certainly wouldn't bet on it.

The Tree of Life is the one I'm rooting for the most, but the one I least suspect will win. The only reason I think it's got a solid chance is because the film is the sum of Malick's incredible career. The movie defines his whole body of work. If he won it, it would be because the Academy would be recognizing his career, not just this picture. Otherwise it's just too artsy to win. I'd really like to see Malick win once in his career, and this is probably the one to do it.

Hugo is obvious. It's appealing for a lot of the same reasons The Artist is, but it was directed by Scorsese and he's a favourite of everybody. He's only taken one win before, and I think the Academy would like to throw a few more his way before he checks out. Plus, it's a love letter to the beginning of cinema. If that ain't gonna please the academy, I don't know what will.

So it probably comes down to The Artist or Hugo. Right now I'm really not willing to take that wager. I'm definitely leaning Hugo, but I'm not going to commit to that yet.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Tef wrote:
    Urgh, fuck I hated Tree of Life.

It was bad, and yet, I thought it was one of Pitt's better performances.

I have never forgiven the director for Thin Red Line, though.

Also, The Artist....

If a silent film wins the Oscar in this day and age, I'll be shocked. Talk about going against what most would like.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    I hope Marcus wins

4SMZq.jpg
    edited January 2012
    Bizazedo wrote:
    Also, The Artist....

If a silent film wins the Oscar in this day and age, I'll be shocked. Talk about going against what most would like.

An Oscar if not The Oscar. Nominated in 10 categories, I'd expect it to at least pick up something, though maybe not Best Picture.

SabreMau on
    Wimble wrote:
    I hope Marcus wins

Best Smile

• MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    What a boring year of nominations. Most boring in about 5 years.

And we are talking about an event that is already pretty boring right out of the gate.

sig1.jpg
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Wow, this year was not Fincher's year. Damn shame.

SabreMau wrote:
    An Oscar if not The Oscar. Nominated in 10 categories, I'd expect it to at least pick up something, though maybe not Best Picture.

Yeah, it's definitely winning something.

Or any year.

Also biggest shock to me was that so few songs were nominated for Best Song. And I called the Muppets taking that one after I saw the movie but I'm surprised the song they put up was Muppet or Man and not Life's A Happy Song

sig1.jpg
    Monkeyfeet wrote:
    What a boring year of nominations. Most boring in about 5 years.

And we are talking about an event that is already pretty boring right out of the gate.

Boring, really? There's a god damn silent film being nominated. The Tree of Life is about as artsy fartsy as I can remember the Academy acknowledging. I believe this is the first time Woody Allen has been nominated since 1977.

Pretty dang interesting to me, anyway.

You just pointed to three boring things

sig1.jpg
    And speaking of Oscars. I'm pretty sure Zonugal never ate that egg shell I told him to

sig1.jpg
    Boring, really? There's a god damn silent film being nominated. The Tree of Life is about as artsy fartsy as I can remember the Academy acknowledging. I believe this is the first time Woody Allen has been nominated since 1977.

Pretty dang interesting to me, anyway.

And that's great, but the sad part for me is that the most enjoyable part of the list so far has been the anticipation of the "common man" backlash for these films.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Holy shit I cannot believe Melissa McCarthy got nominated for Bridesmaids. That's kind of awesome.

• GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I wish Drive got nominated for more, but I'm glad Oldman got a nomination from Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

Those were my top two films from last year.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Yaya, if you couldn't do it, why did you make the thread? :P I don't have anything to do really, so I don't mind running it if nobody has said they would. It would give me something to google spreadsheet since Saints is now all automated and what not.

And if it is gonna be me, I'm gonna say that when you make your picks, only post who you think is going to win, please don't do the bold your picks thing. Its just easier to sort through.

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    The movie I wanted to win last year won. I don't even care this year.

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Goose: go nuts, just PM me what you want in the OP

also, man, what a fucking weird list of nominations!

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Man

I am really disappointed at Drive's snubbing

CYpGAPn.png
  • SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    If it was going to be nominated for anything though sound editing would be my pick.

It stood out even more than the Cinematography to me.

ImWcN1I.png?3
  • BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Goose! wrote:
    Yaya, if you couldn't do it, why did you make the thread? :P I don't have anything to do really, so I don't mind running it if nobody has said they would. It would give me something to google spreadsheet since Saints is now all automated and what not.
    If you're going to do it, please let me know and then please make another thread for it. The person running the pool should have the OP, it's a big hassle otherwise.

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
    Yeah, I'll go make another thread.

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    fine by me

• StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    There's....

A fucking.... September 11th movie?

tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
This discussion has been closed.