As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX and Google+

• [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
  • DurinthalDurinthal Registered User regular
  • THAKK0THAKK0 Registered User new member
    Please add 1 lurker (me):
    https://plus.google.com/115139068271699357962

I know my way around a computer, but I'm apparently G+ retarded because I have no idea if I'm doing this right (I added you to a circle and shared something, but I'm posting here too, just to make sure).

• BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    Looks like I'm already in the circle, but just confirming that anyone here's welcome to add/reshare my name!

• RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    Looks like a bunch of you already found me but here it is officially:
    https://plus.google.com/114712498790463349639/posts

I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • narwhalnarwhal monodon monoceros Registered User regular
    Wait wait why is this going here? Shouldn't this be in the enforcer only forums, because the rest of the internet has access here?

Narwhal#1834
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    Sounds like fun:

http://gplus.to/itzerokewl

signature.png
  • testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    narwhal wrote:
    Wait wait why is this going here? Shouldn't this be in the enforcer only forums, because the rest of the internet has access here?

No...?

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    narwhal wrote:

this... isn't an E list?

• ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    My G+ stream is now crazy after giving in and adding 390 people today. Suddenly this thing is relevant!

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • DMmagicDMmagic PAX East Enforcer Springfield, MO, USARegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    narwhal wrote:

this... isn't an E list?

Nope, it's a general PAX list. People who go to PAX, not just Enforcers.

Hence it being on the PAX forum, rather than the E forum :-P

Dave is putting together an etiquette post for circling up, which I neglected the other day, and I'll update the main post with that once he's done. As a reminder, though, if you get circled by someone you don't know or don't want to share anything with... just don't circle them back :-P You won't see them in your stream, and your posts won't go out to them.

yeah, I know it isn't an E list :P I was putting the ? there because I was confused by narwhal's comment.

• IzzieIzzie It's The Avatar BostonRegistered User regular
    Woot!
    http://gplus.to/izziebot

Not sure how to join the public circle but I'm pretty stoked. :D

http://izziebytes.net // http://twitter.com/izziebot // G+
    Terrorizing the Gaming Universe one post at a time...
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    Ooooh. So this is why I've been added to so many circles today. :-)

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • UWorldsUWorlds Registered User regular
  • Mrtheplague92Mrtheplague92 24 year old Pax'er from PA Bethlehem PARegistered User regular
  • CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    @DMMagic Remove me from this circle.

edited January 2012
    CuZZa wrote:
    @DMMagic Remove me from this circle.

It doesn't work like that. It's not a facebook group where there's a running membership. Even if someone shares a circle, it's up to the person on the other end of the sharing to choose whether or not to follow someone. Likely someone that has you in a circle shared their pax circle with a group, then it kept going from there.

If I share a circle with someone, I'm basically saying "I think these people are cool, you should follow them". Then the people I share that circle with can decide "yeah I'll do that" or "no I won't". It doesn't form some group that lives on its own with its own membership. People are individually deciding that they want to add people via sharing.

The nicety (and curse, depending) of G+ is that like twitter, you can follow people without having to "approve" a friend request. Anyone can put you in a circle whether you allow it or not. The key is how you choose to share your posts. If you post something publicly, anyone can read it anywhere, circle or not. If you share with your own circles, or whatever, then only those people can read it.

I've specifically not added myself to this thread because I think this whole thing is a bad idea BECAUSE it's not a maintainable group, but some people are adding me here and there likely due to being shared by someone else. Like twitter followers, you can just ignore it.

Personally I only put people in my personal PAX circle if I've met them or plan to meet them at a PAX. Sharing circles (especially large ones) is bad, imo, because you're not asking anyone's permission on whether or not they want to be on "a list" first.

TL;DR, it's not a maintainable list, someone who already had you in a circle obviously shared you with the rest of the world.

zerzhul on
    basically if you want privacy, don't post things publicly.

• WinyderWinyder Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    basically if you want privacy, don't post things publicly.

I think the concern stems more from the 360+ notifications of someone following you. It's mildly disconcerting, even if you know how G+ privacy settings work.

Heh, well that won't happen a ton, everything after the first will be incremental

• Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular
    Hmm, I must not have gotten the share of the circle, I only have like 56 (the people who posted here) so far.

• CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I know full well how it works. But removing me from the original circle that everyone is referencing and all the people who are yet to read this will reference in future will stop the rest of them from adding me to circles.

In any case, it will make me feel better.

• zezspecszezspecs ScotlandRegistered User regular
    I actually accidentally added the entire huge circle to my personal PAX circle while I was trying to get a few key people out of it that I've met before but just didn't have their G+ contact since I've been lazy on that front. It took me a while to purge out all the people who hadn't circled me or I hadn't been trying to circle in the first place. I originally thought that everyone who was in the circle wanted to share, but once I saw some of the people in it and how big it was, I realised that not everyone was in the circle willingly.

If it's possible, it may be a good idea to try to reduce the referenced circle to those who actually want to be part of it, but it seems that would be a rather large and potentially impossible project, unfortunately. It may be easier to try to find out who doesn't want to be part of it and remove them from the sharing circle.

At the very least, the privacy settings on G+ are 1000xs better than Facebook, so I didn't have to spend the hours I have on Facebook trying to get all my settings just right.

Man, I don't understand why people are getting mad about a bunch of new followers on G+. I didn't use G+ for shit before now! Now it's viable and awesome, with tons of people posting stuff I'm really interested in.

Just dont circle them back if you don't want more people in your stream!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • DMmagicDMmagic PAX East Enforcer Springfield, MO, USARegistered User regular
    I feel somewhat guilty about those who didn't want to be shared. After the OP on the forum and posting on G+ a few times, some people shared their PAX circles with me so those could be included. These were apparently built from posts on the forums where people posted their G+ names or from earlier circle shares. I built one big PAX circle and sent that out to everyone in that circle (not public).

That said, as several people have pointed out, it's pretty easy to ignore. Just click the red notification box at the top right, click it again, and you're done. And because G+ groups notifications, you don't have a wall of "someone added you," you just have one notification that "10+ people added you," and you can choose to peruse or ignore.

If you don't want people seeing your stuff, don't add them back. If you don't want anyone to see anything, change your settings so certain profile items aren't visible to those outside your circles. G+ is built for this sort of thing.

Personally, I won't be using this large PAX circle heavily... except for at PAX. I have a smaller PAX Pals circle with the two dozen people I've met at PAX with whom I communicate on a regular basis. But at PAX itself, I'll definitely be watching the stream closely and interacting with it a lot, much like I have done with my PAX column on Tweetdeck in past years.

It really is similar to Twitter: people can follow whomever, and if you don't want them to send you direct messages, block them. For everything else, as long as you don't circle them back, nothing really changes for you other than a temporary notification.

I'll do my best to remember who doesn't want to be shared in the future (two people so far) and try to not include them in future shares. I'm toying with the idea of doing targeted shares, where I only share the circle with one person at a time, as well. That makes it a lot harder for the people who want to connect with others, but it would reduce the mass-adding that generates lots of notifications. If anyone has strong feelings one way or the other, please let me know.

My apologies to those who feel their privacy has been invaded. That was certainly not my intention, and I am sorry that this has caused any undue stress or alarm.

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    Chorazin wrote:
    I didn't use G+ for shit before now! Now it's viable and awesome, with tons of people posting stuff I'm really interested in.

+1 Hell Yea

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • mad_typistmad_typist Registered User regular
    I'm going to PAX East for my third year in a row and plan to chat about it on G+ a lot, so feel free to add me: https://plus.google.com/116694421863540353213/posts

DMmagic wrote:
    I feel somewhat guilty about those who didn't want to be shared. After the OP on the forum and posting on G+ a few times, some people shared their PAX circles with me so those could be included. These were apparently built from posts on the forums where people posted their G+ names or from earlier circle shares. I built one big PAX circle and sent that out to everyone in that circle (not public).

That said, as several people have pointed out, it's pretty easy to ignore. Just click the red notification box at the top right, click it again, and you're done. And because G+ groups notifications, you don't have a wall of "someone added you," you just have one notification that "10+ people added you," and you can choose to peruse or ignore.

If you don't want people seeing your stuff, don't add them back. If you don't want anyone to see anything, change your settings so certain profile items aren't visible to those outside your circles. G+ is built for this sort of thing.

Personally, I won't be using this large PAX circle heavily... except for at PAX. I have a smaller PAX Pals circle with the two dozen people I've met at PAX with whom I communicate on a regular basis. But at PAX itself, I'll definitely be watching the stream closely and interacting with it a lot, much like I have done with my PAX column on Tweetdeck in past years.

It really is similar to Twitter: people can follow whomever, and if you don't want them to send you direct messages, block them. For everything else, as long as you don't circle them back, nothing really changes for you other than a temporary notification.

I'll do my best to remember who doesn't want to be shared in the future (two people so far) and try to not include them in future shares. I'm toying with the idea of doing targeted shares, where I only share the circle with one person at a time, as well. That makes it a lot harder for the people who want to connect with others, but it would reduce the mass-adding that generates lots of notifications. If anyone has strong feelings one way or the other, please let me know.

My apologies to those who feel their privacy has been invaded. That was certainly not my intention, and I am sorry that this has caused any undue stress or alarm.

I really wouldn't feel bad about it DMmagic, the whole point of Google+ is to share and connect your public profile with others. One look at the Google+ Privacy Policy would explain to anyone who is upset why the only person they should be upset with is themselves.
    In order to use Google+, you need to have a public Google Profile visible to the world, which at a minimum includes the name you chose for the profile. That name will be used across Google services and in some cases it may replace another name you’ve used when sharing content under your Google Account. We may display your Google Profile identity to people who have your email address or other identifying information.
    Information we collect and how we use it

We will record information about your activity - such as posts you comment on and the other users with whom you interact - in order to provide you and other users with a better experience on Google services.
    We may also collect information about you from other users, such as when someone puts you in one of their circles or tags you in a photo. Some users may choose to display information about you publicly, such as by displaying your public profile name and photo on their Google Profile in a list of people they’ve added to their circles.

Google Profile.
    In order to use Google+, you need to have a public Google Profile visible to the world, which at a minimum includes the name you chose for the profile. That name will be used across Google services and in some cases it may replace another name you’ve used when sharing content under your Google Account. We may display your Google Profile identity to people who have your email address or other identifying information.
    Posts and other content shared by or with you - such as photos of you - may be visible on your profile to those with whom that content has been shared. You can use the profile editor to see how your profile appears to particular individuals.

Circles.
    You can add people into different circles to share information with a group. People in your circles (but not the name of the circle) will appear to others on your Google Profile, unless you choose not to display that information. You can manage the people in your circles here.

Account Settings.
    You can access and edit your account settings - including privacy settings - through Account Settings or from the upper-righthand corner when you are logged into certain Google products. Among other things, in Account Settings you can change the settings for notifications we send to you.

I think zerzhul said it best, don't post a public profile if you don't want one.

• HolyyakkerHolyyakker Registered User regular
    I R the confused. I'm looking to get in on this but my G+ foo is lacking:

This is me: https://plus.google.com/u/1/110504927122141330880/posts WHAT DO I DO?

"Beware to March of Dimes" - MacBeth
    Holyyakker wrote:
    I R the confused. I'm looking to get in on this but my G+ foo is lacking:

This is me: https://plus.google.com/u/1/110504927122141330880/posts WHAT DO I DO?

Sit back, relax, and wait for DMmagic to share the circle with you. 8-)

• itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    I can hasz epic PAX circle!

signature.png
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    COOKIE BRIGADE!! Ransim has set up a Cookie Brigade account, so if you want delicious cookies or want to know how to FIND delicious cookies at PAX, check it often!
    ransim wrote:
    We've set up a Google+ page for the brigade!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/106134749886753538917/posts

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I would like to be remooooved from this list, and any farther list... I think it's uncool to have just shared everyone without asking them all first :P This should have been an OPT IN dealio, not an OPT OUT one. imho.

<edit> My name is Cody, my gplus nick is Snickers56. If you KNOW me, feel free to add me, but if not... Well I can't STOP you, but I will probably not be adding you back :P

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Chorazin wrote:
    Man, I don't understand why people are getting mad about a bunch of new followers on G+. I didn't use G+ for shit before now! Now it's viable and awesome, with tons of people posting stuff I'm really interested in.

Because I have a unique first and last name and maybe I don't want to be easily tracked down by any of thousands of people I don't know? I would be similarly irritated by someone suggesting me as a facebook friend to over a hundred people I don't know. Luckily minus one random add I don't think I've been shared without the person asking if it's ok and I don't have any real photos of myself on g+ but it's still a little rude to say nobody should mind having their personal information shared with a ton of people.

edited January 2012
    cabsy wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:

Because I have a unique first and last name and maybe I don't want to be easily tracked down by any of thousands of people I don't know? I would be similarly irritated by someone suggesting me as a facebook friend to over a hundred people I don't know. Luckily minus one random add I don't think I've been shared without the person asking if it's ok and I don't have any real photos of myself on g+ but it's still a little rude to say nobody should mind having their personal information shared with a ton of people.
    In order to use Google+, you need to have a public Google Profile visible to the world, which at a minimum includes the name you chose for the profile.

Then why did you make a profile on a social media site with this as the first line in the privacy policy? Why don't you take advantage of the privacy settings and hide everything else from those you haven't added in circles?

Exodus1 on
    Exodus1 wrote:
    cabsy wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:

In order to use Google+, you need to have a public Google Profile visible to the world, which at a minimum includes the name you chose for the profile.

Then why did you make a profile on a social media site with this as the first line in the privacy policy? Why don't you take advantage of the privacy settings and hide everything else from those you haven't added in circles?

+1 so hard.

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    I have, but in the end I generally only use g+ for people I actually know in person which is why I don't mind them knowing my first and last name - they already know it. Most of them probably already know where I live. Literally the only thing on my g+ profile is my name and a picture of a cartoon. But my name is enough that people can track me down if they really want to, and it should be my choice to share that with people, not the choice of someone I don't even know who has added me to a circle and then shared it with dozens more people I don't know. Is your argument that I shouldn't have a g+ at all because I think it's rude to share circles without asking permission from the people in those circles?