As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Share With Us Your Sordid and Recent Past

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Five years ago I was sitting at the desk opposite this one, lurking SE++. So much has changed.

• Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    I think the only thing better about past-me was that I still held out hope that in 5 years I'd have had some success as a writer

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Blake T wrote:
    I remember when our first cat died.

I was really angry because I had felt the lump in her stomach growing for years and no one believed me so when she finally went to the vet and they said it was too big it was inoperable I was so mad.

I also remember the day she was put down. I was 17 and didnt want to let her go so I put her outside and let her play. Just on the stupid idea that they won't find her and she would be ok.

I was so fucking sad when my cat died. She was 24, I was like, 16.
    Deaf, blind as shit, half siamese.
    That cat had a meow and a half. It was mournful.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    5 Years ago I was 23, living with my parents while working my job and taking care of my 2 year old daughter.

Since then, I'm in the same job, making twice as much money, my father has passed, I bought a house and married a wonderful woman.

I'm a dog and a White Picket Fence away at this point

Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Five years ago I was married, no kids and just started my job.

Now I'm still at the same job, one kid and another on the way.

Not much else. Parenthood changes everything and my life revolves around my children now. This is the longest job I've ever held.
    that's what SHE said

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    everybody's married and has babies

I'm wasting my life

• Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    Keith wrote:

I'm wasting my life

I''m wastin' yous

paisan

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Numbers, I would like to offer kind words of support but I'm shithouse at that kind of thing so let's just go race gokarts

Nah, I need to harden the fuck up. Too much sooking ain't good for anyone. I've actually set myself a goal for this year, for the first time in my entire life (I used to think goals were stupid, if you want something, just go out and do it. 4 years later, I'm STILL working in fast food...) I have to get a new job, not just because I want one, but because I need to pay for Lasik before the year is out. If the world is going to end in December, I want to have perfect vision when it does.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Oh and after watching the first 3 seasons of breaking bad in about 4 days, I have decided that I am going to start producing and distributing meth

Ah ha, nope. Shit is fucked up.

I just have the last episode of the first season to go before SII, probably my favourite bit so far is "That's not crack..." *asplode*

Fucking badassed.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Arang wrote:
    Keith wrote:

I'm wasting my life

I''m wastin' yous

paisan

I don't speak Italian

• Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    5 years ago I was in Iraq for my 2nd tour. I was 7 months into it, having another 5 to go. It's noon EST right now so that means it was probably around 8pm there and since I was on night shift in January, I was probably doing night patrols around the desert.

I was also a Team Leader, so I was in charge of the truck I was in even if the Squad Leader was in my truck (it's my truck, it's my rules. The SQDL just tells you the mission, I'm the one in charge in getting there). The other team leader and I would take turn leading the patrols. My patrols consisted of going out to the American friendly Iraqi restaurant and grocery store, where we'd camp out for an hour or two and let people unwind and get smokes, food, and snacks, while the other TL's patrols consisted of driving around in the dark in the middle of BFE. I don't blame him for being overly gung-ho: it was my 2nd year+ long tour in 3 years, and it was his first tour ever.

In my truck, we hooked up my iPod to the internal comms headsets and mics so that we'd roll down MSR Tampa listening to music. We had a cooler in the middle between the two rear seats, behind the mk19/or .50 cal gunner, full of water, gatorade and the little energy drinks called Rip-its. We used to get Rip its by the pallet, and they're not that much different from red bull just less tasty. Anyways, we'd get hopped up on energy drinks and I had a rule in my truck that that if you had trouble staying awake and smoked, smoke away (you're not allowed to smoke anything in the humvee's). The other team leader and I would always send messages to each other on Blue Force Tracker talking shit to each other while we are on our route.

We'd be rolling down the desert, windows down smoking cigarettes, hopped up on rip its, jamming out to my ipod. We'd pull a security stop every now and then and pull off to the side of the road so people could take a shit or piss or so the other team could get out and smoke since their TL didn't let them smoke in the vehicle. Once we got out of range from the FOB, we'd start talking shit to each other across the net. As an asian fellow, my call sign across our net was "Yellow Fever", my buddies call signs where "Wing of the monarch" (driver), "Sting of the monarch" (gunner), and "The Monarch" (TL).

When we rolled around as two squads (4 trucks now), we used to have battles between the gunners where they'd throw water bottles or urine filled water bottles at each other.

My 2nd tour was honestly not all that bad and I consider it a paid vacation to a shitty place with shitty weather and living conditions, but at least it was quiet then. On my first tour, we saw so much shit so the 2nd was a nice change of pace from that. I need to get back in touch with the guys I was with, it's been too long.

XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    Oh and after watching the first 3 seasons of breaking bad in about 4 days, I have decided that I am going to start producing and distributing meth

Ah ha, nope. Shit is fucked up.

I just have the last episode of the first season to go before SII, probably my favourite bit so far is "That's not crack..." *asplode*

Fucking badassed.

Chris it gets so much better. So much better. I really want season five.

• Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote:
    Squall wrote:
    january '07 i was eighteen, in my last semester of high school, had been in a relationship with a girl for a year and a half (now my fiance), and was completely full of myself because i got good grades and gonna be an engineer and i read ayn rand

i am now [hopefully] less full of myself, living on my own with a degree and a job and planning a wedding

no longer reading ayn rand, I hope

late on this but good lord no

gosh

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Five years ago I was still in school and made more than 3 times what I do now.

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    We talking about last experiences with our grandparents, still?

My grandfather was another fantastic businessman in a family of of them. He was what I call the Chinese Tony Stark, he went out drinking and playing poker with admirals and generals trying to sell his products and services. Made plenty of money for his family, but he wasn't the best father. He made that up with me though, spent all his remaining years getting as close as possible to me and my sister and in the last few stages my cousin just after she was born. I smuggled him french fries and coke when he wasn't allowed them, and he always made sure my family was doing okay. Then he started to suffer kidney failure. Then he had a stroke. All of his wit and quirks disappeared and all that was left was but a shell. He barely recognised anything or anyone. Visitng him at the hospital was heart-wrenching and the closest person to him became the Filipino maid we hired to help him. She did fantastically and you could tell he loved her for the work she put in, along with the others.

Then came the last day I ever saw him. We wheeled him out of his place. We said our goodbyes, hugged and kissed him knowing this might be the last chance we get, and he recognised and acknowledged no one. Not his wife, not my mum, no one. But he recognised me. He reached out, making a grunting sound and for a second I saw a glimmer of him still in his eyes. I was about 12 then, I think. Maybe 10. But all I can remember is the look he gave me, like he was asking me "I'm sorry, I hope I wasn't too much trouble?" God I miss him. I wish he was here now, to see me finally skinny, happy, with a girl I love. I wish he could've seen my art. I wish I could grab him and tell him he wasn't any trouble, he was never a burden, and we all loved him despite his faults and mistakes. And we still do.

Happy Chinese New Year.

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    5 years ago I had a job, a girlfriend, and some awesome roomates.
    Today I have the same job, a wife(different girl), a kid, and some awesome friends.
    So I guess even though not much has changed everything is different.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    5 years ago I was 15, failing high school, and too depressed to masturbate much. Now I'm 20, have a GED, and am too depressed to masturbate much. Things actually have been a bit better this year, but I just got shut down by a girl I've got a major crush on. Being in the same room as her makes me so nauseous I throw up. Progress?

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    5 years ago I was about 4 months through my first year of a degree in Ancient History and Archaeology which I had decided to study for the fun of it. I was absolutely hating the halls of residence I was in and was so close to quitting my course.

Now 5 years later, I graduated with a 2:1 in Ancient History and Archaeology, passed my driving test, go my first job and had 3 promotions as well, had my first long term relationship, began SCUBA diving, joined a Historical Re Enactment group and became a Special Constable for my local police force.

All in all a good 5 years!

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    5 years ago I was in my 3rd year of college. I don't remember much about that year because it was surely the peak of my WoW addiction. When Burning Crusade came out I played an average of 15 hours a day for 2 weeks. :oops:

Now I've been working for about 3 years... wow, that went fast. I caught up with a great friend of mine from high school that I lost touch with during his time as a Marine. I guess my hobbies haven't changed much, but I did drop WoW. And I bought a house!

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote:
    5 years ago I was in my 3rd year of college. I don't remember much about that year because it was surely the peak of my WoW addiction. When Burning Crusade came out I played an average of 15 hours a day for 2 weeks. :oops:

Now I've been working for about 3 years... wow, that went fast. I caught up with a great friend of mine from high school that I lost touch with during his time as a Marine. I guess my hobbies haven't changed much, but I did drop WoW. And I bought a house!

Go back to WoW.

:3

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    5 years ago I was a junior in college, wondering wtf i would be doing in 5 years with my (really) shitty GPA.

Since then, I graduated with a 3.0, got an awesome job doing awesome things, bought a house, and have saved enough money to buy my dream car (Brand new, custom built, 2012 Chevrolet Camaro). I need to find a girl, and have been shut down numerous times, but other than that I'm pretty happy with where I am at this point.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Haha, @neville. If it makes you feel any better I'm still paying for it with that free Diablo deal. :P

I would actually like to go back to playing horde...

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    So five years ago I wasn't on PA yet, I think I lurked a few times. Want to hear a scary word? GameFAQs. Ugh, so glad to be rid of that.

Confession: five years ago this was me, too.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote:
    Bucketman wrote:
    When I think back, if I had just life seriously, I'd have been in honors classes, and would have had a big scholarship, and be an Eagle Scout, and would already have a degree. Then again I started out in Computer Science, so I would have a useless degree by now.

This is not at all the case. Especially in Indiana. I've had six friends graduate recently with CS degrees and they all had employment before graduation.

Yeah, uh... what?

I was literally just back at my college recruiting CS and EE majors last week.

If you graduated in 2006-2008 it would've been even better, but 2009 was kind of not so great. Been picking up the past year though.

the only two people I know who went CS, one is unemployed and the other only could find work at the school he graduated from.

Either way, I'm happy with nursing. it seems to fit me better

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Could very well be what they branched into and what type of job they were looking for out of college.

What's wrong with working for the school you graduated from? It's a job like any other, no?

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    i would love to work at my university

because i am a glutton for punishment

(no it's a really pretty campus and the ladies are fine and i love this area even if it does suffer from every other problem that every place you live suffers from ex. shitty drivers and dumbasses)

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Five years ago I was just starting at this school as a CS major. I had a 4.0 from getting my AA at a CC, a shit ton of scholarships and an idea of where I wanted to go with my education and possible careers.

I am now still at school, starting my last year of Astrophysics, have a 1.4 GPA, no idea for a future other than that I need to get out of academia, and piles of loans that build every semester as I barely get enough funds to scrape by. Nearly all of the friends people who I thought were becoming my friends here at school have turned out to be as supportive as a bags of shit. I've tried to commit suicide 3 times, twice ending up the hospital and I'm still trying to figure out a way to deal with my depression. My current goal is to try to make this last year as good as possible in every way from good grades to good friends. I am getting less optimistic about success as the year goes on.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind working for my university depending on the job.

Especially since I'm hoping to teach. It's a good way to pay the bills and adjunct at the same time.

• Options
    Kadith wrote: »
    Five years ago I was just starting at this school as a CS major. I had a 4.0 from getting my AA at a CC, a shit ton of scholarships and an idea of where I wanted to go with my education and possible careers.

I am now still at school, starting my last year of Astrophysics, have a 1.4 GPA, no idea for a future other than that I need to get out of academia, and piles of loans that build every semester as I barely get enough funds to scrape by. Nearly all of the friends people who I thought were becoming my friends here at school have turned out to be as supportive as a bags of shit. I've tried to commit suicide 3 times, twice ending up the hospital and I'm still trying to figure out a way to deal with my depression. My current goal is to try to make this last year as good as possible in every way from good grades to good friends. I am getting less optimistic about success as the year goes on.

D:D:D:

Jeez you've got it rough. I don't even know what to say to try and make you feel better. Just know that no matter how bad it can get, death is always the worst option. Always.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    I really don't think I have it that bad even, which of course makes me feel worse sometimes but whatevs that's life.

But yeah, don't kill yourself kids

although when I make jokes about killing myself they're like 10x funnier to me

so that's a plus at least.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    Five years ago to the day I purchased my first PS3.

Now? I purchased a PS3 slim two days ago.
    OK here's the real shit

5 years ago I was 22. I was in my last year of college.

I had been dumped for the first time in my life. By the first girl I had ever kissed. Which REALLY fucking sucked.

I was still obsessed with a different girl I had met a year earlier.

I was horribly depressed, embarrassed by the fact I was still a virgin, and convinced that I was destined to be alone basically forever.

I was partying constantly to try to cover this fact up. And according to my AIM logs I had recently tried pot for the first time.

Now

I have a great job. I have a great girlfriend who I have been with for 3 years. I have met some amazing friends thanks to the forums. I am generally a much happier person and am excited for the future.

Also I don't like animes as much as I used to. But I still watch them from time to time!

ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    5 years ago was 2007? Jesus.

I was living in my first house with my then girlfriend. Now we are married with an awesome 6 month old son. 5 years ago still seems like part of the same life I'm living now.

10 years ago, though... 10 years ago was holy shit different. First apartment, first real girlfriend, first real job. Like 10 years ago it was a different god damn dude living this life.

hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    Five years ago I was 18, I was starting my second year of university and thinking I was going to graduate in a couple of years with my psych degree with a minor in sociology, then hopefully go on to do a masters. I was still feeling pretty pleased with myself for writing a short story and getting it published in an anthology of some sort, so I guess I was thinking that I could be a writer (despite not having written anything since). I was also convinced that I had kicked my depression in the ass and didn't need to keep taking my antidepressants. I had kinda sorta started dating a really cute girl after overcoming a lot of relationship dramas left over from high school, and I had a goatee. Oh, and I was badly addicted to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

Now I'm 23, I'm going to enter the final semester of what was supposed to be a four year psych degree, but has morphed into a double degree in psych and sociology with a minor in film studies. I have actually started work on my first writing project since then, it's coming along pretty nicely. I've had a varied selection of part-time jobs and I'm a little broke at the moment, but things seem like they'll be picking up soon. Depression continues to play a big part in my life, and I regularly have episodes where I'm pretty terrible. I've also since been diagnosed with OCD, and when I started seeing a psychologist last week he told me that I probably also have a panic or anxiety disorder, and possibly agoraphobia. That really cute girl and I never really got past the kinda sorta dating stage. I dated some other ladies for a bit, but that never lasted long and I think a big part of that is because I'm still not over that first girl. We did become close friends, through we've gone through a lot of drama recently so I don't know where we're at now. Pretty sure I'm still in love with her, and she may have just got with her first real boyfriend (it's not me). I have a full beard now, and I still play a lot of Final Fantasy Tactics A2.

So I dunno, I feel pretty miserable at the moment, but when I look at my life over the last five years summed up like this, it doesn't sound all bad. There are pros and there are cons, but that's to be expected. In some respects I think I'm a better person for my experiences, and in other aspects I don't feel I've grown much. I guess I would say I'm a little older, a little wiser (or at the very least a little more self-aware), a bit sadder and much hairier.

• Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote:
    Haha, @neville. If it makes you feel any better I'm still paying for it with that free Diablo deal. :P

I would actually like to go back to playing horde...

come play with us on Cho'gall!

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I blame Viv for starting the stupid thread in the first place

sowee :(

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote:

I was really angry because I had felt the lump in her stomach growing for years and no one believed me so when she finally went to the vet and they said it was too big it was inoperable I was so mad.

I also remember the day she was put down. I was 17 and didnt want to let her go so I put her outside and let her play. Just on the stupid idea that they won't find her and she would be ok.

you are getting the biggest hug when you get home <3

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Wow. Next time I think my life is in the shits, I'll come here and read this thread.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote:
    Blake T wrote:

you are getting the biggest hug when you get home <3

I might be crying in public.

Maybe.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I remember signing up for this site but have no idea how I came to it I do find it funny it was 6/6/06
    But 5 years ago I remember finally being able to not spend the day tripping balls on oxygen, pain killers and blood thinners because I was at a point where they still ask of the question of why

• Options
    MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    It feels like 5 years has passed but I've only been here at the computer lab for an hour.

My life is hell.