As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Alan Wake: There may be something at Gamescom, there may not.. (see p.47)

• Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    Awesome, it's coming out next month. Also, horde-style survival mode confirmed.

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote:

Ha!

I knew it would come with time. My fiancee would probably get into it too.

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    mxmarks wrote:
    Another great article about it, from people whove played it:
    http://www.next-gen.biz/features/remedy-alan-wakes-american-nightmare

Highlights:
    They say it starts from where the last DLC left off.
    They call it a spin-off and side thing a couple times. This is NOT Alan Wake 2.
    They say Alan Wake is Twin Peaks, Stephen King. American Nightmare is Tarintino, Grindhouse. The acting is intentionally "hammy" at times, they say they're working within that Grindhousey theme and feel. They call it an episode of the Twilight Zone with Alan Wake's rules.
    They discuss a "hub world". Since this is a sample from a full article, I bet they go into more detail before asking that question because it just is out there like we should know what they're talking about. They say its a little more open world.
    They call the place Night Springs in the interview.
    They say it includes enemies and weapons that wouldn't make sense/fit (not fit like they didnt have time, fit like themeatically fit) in Alan Wake.

Oh boy another game attempting to do "grindhouse".

How about we trying and get video game acting and writing to a higher level before deconstruction it.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote:
    They say Alan Wake is Twin Peaks, Stephen King. American Nightmare is Tarintino, Grindhouse. The acting is intentionally "hammy" at times, they say they're working within that Grindhousey theme and feel. They call it an episode of the Twilight Zone with Alan Wake's rules.

:|

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    well, playing through alan wake right now, and those 'night springs' things play on the TV all the time. they definitely are mocking twilight zone, and i could get down with playing an episode of twilight zone.
    i wonder if the ones playing in this game have to do with the american nightmare

They do, in a way. You're playing through several episodes of Night Springs that were written by Alan Wake, an early career job of Wake's alluded to in the original game.

4hNKbHH.png
  • The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    aw2-1.jpg

D:D:D:

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    re: that spoiler:
    god dammit

those gameplay videos are awesome though

SaraLuna on
  • hottoqhottoq Registered User regular
    Just finished the main game, really enjoyed it. It sounds like people actually liked the DLC and it's worth a purchase? I wonder if the DLC will go on sale when American Nightmare gets posted...

• Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    hottoq wrote:
    Just finished the main game, really enjoyed it. It sounds like people actually liked the DLC and it's worth a purchase? I wonder if the DLC will go on sale when American Nightmare gets posted...

I enjoyed the dlc. The first one is mostly combat and the second is mostly story stuff, which tends to make people like the second more. I would say if you want more Alan Wake get them.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    The DLC, especially The Writer, is worth it. It's the epilogue to the main game. Even though The Writer is better, I would play both to get the full story.

• RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    The Writer is what Alan Wake should have been

so much missed potential

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Yesssss.

And I love the promo that if you buy all 4 you get 800 points back.

I wanted Alan Wake and I am Alive, thought that Quake-esque shooter looked fun, and Warp was interesting.

So now I get all 4, and it's like I bought what I liked and got Warp free.

Too bad the other 3 wont be played forever as I play Alan Wake over and over and over.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    Alan Wake PC is coming along nicely.

IMG_1972.jpg

4hNKbHH.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    ah wow that is cool playing that way with the lights off would be intense

Also regarding Alan Wake on PC, Remedy posted a fantastic FAQ:
    What is the release date?

Alan Wake will be released on Steam during February 2012.

How much will Alan Wake on PC cost?

Pricing will be announced soon, a bit closer to release.

What bundle deals will be available?

Specifics about the bundle deals are still being worked out and will be announced closer to release.

What are the minimum specs for the game?

We are still finalising the optimisations and graphics scalability, so some details can still change.

This is our current view:
    PROCESSOR: A dual core processor is required:
    AMD: Athlon X2 2.8GHz
    Intel: Core 2 Duo 2GHz
    MEMORY: 2 GB
    HARD DRIVE: 8 GB
    VIDEO CARD: DirectX 10 compatible or later with 512MB RAM
    AMD: ATI Radeon 3650, 4450, 5550, 6450 or higher (per series)
    NVIDIA: GeForce 8600GT, 9500GT, GT120, GT430, GT520 (per series)
    SOUND CARD: DirectX 9.0c compatible
    INPUT: Mouse and keyboard, Xbox360 controller also supported
    What do I need to run with max settings?

For a solid performance Remedy recommends a modern quad-core CPU and a graphics card with around 2000 in 3DMark Graphics Score as seen in here: http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu

For max settings and high resolutions, a top of the line graphics card and CPU is needed.

Will the game be released on the Mac?

Unfortunately, the game will not be available for Mac users.

Will it support Windows XP?

Yes. We have finished our testing and are satisfied the game works well, assuming the users' systems are configured correctly (we detected some audio configuration problems during testing but nothing that can't be worked around easily).

Is Alan Wake going to use Games for Windows Live?

Games for Windows Live will not be used; we will be fully supporting the Steam platform.

Who is the publisher?

Alan Wake PC is a Remedy self-published title.

Is Remedy developing the PC game?

The PC version is being developed together with a small team from Remedy as well as a talented team at Finnish independent developer, Nitro Games, who have previous and recent experience of releasing games on Steam.

Will there be a demo version?

Unfortunately, there won’t be a demo version of Alan Wake PC.

What control options will there be?

The PC version will support keyboard and mouse (fully configurable) and the Xbox 360 controller.

What features will be available on Steam?

The game will run using Steamworks, allowing for syncing of settings and save games to the Steam Cloud platform. Steam achievements will also be featured in the game.

Will the DLC Episodes be included in the game?

Both The Signal and The Writer DLCs will be available on Steam and are included in all copies of the game.

Is this release developed from the former PC version that was showcased a few years ago?

No. Any early material evolved into what ended up shipping on the 360. This PC release will be derived from what was released on the 360.

How large is the Steam download for the game?

Around 7.5GB.

What graphical customisations will the player be able to make?

We are still finalising the options, but the players can naturally adjust resolution, run in full screen or windowed and change numerous graphics quality settings such as anti-aliasing, FXAA, shadow quality, draw distance and so on.

The players can also turn off the HUD if they wish. This was a feature many of our fans wanted for Alan Wake Xbox360.

How will the save game system work?

The save games will work as they did on Xbox360, with automatic checkpoints. We know some of our PC fans would love a “save anywhere” system, but unfortunately we can't easily change how the saves work as there are certain restrictions where you can save in the tech so adding a free save anywhere would likely expose a lot of new bugs.

What languages is the game localised to?

It is localised to same languages as Alan Wake Xbox360 with full voiceover and text localisations for English, German, Italian, French, Spanish and Japanese. Text localisation (Subtitle support and menu translations) will be provided in Traditional Chinese, Korean, Polish and Russian.

Are you going to release the mod tools for Alan Wake PC?

Unfortunately Remedy is not planning to release the mod tools. The tools are a lot more complex than they were with the Max Payne games, and are based on many 3rd party commercial tools like Autodesk 3d studio max. Additionally they have been integrated to work with our Perforce asset repository and other internal services, and removing and re-implementing these features would be a lot of work.

Will Alan Wake PC support Stereoscopic 3D?

We have internally tested that the game works with NVISION 3D very nicely. It is fairly performance heavy though so a high end GPU such as the GeForce 580GTX and moderate graphics settings are recommended.

Remedy has not been able to test AMD HD3D (we spent some time trying), but AMD has access to the build and we are hoping they can confirm whether it works or not.

Important information in bold. Also, the FAQ describes the game as self-published, but (as of today) Remedy announced a boxed, retail version of the game being published by Nordic Games.

4hNKbHH.png
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    The Washington night was cold outside of Nemo's windor, but it's dark embrace could not penetrate the warm lights of his humble home. He had excitedly rushed to the forum to post the information he had just learned. He copied, he pasted, and he edited, until he produced a list of achievments for Alan Wake's American Nightmare.

Escape! 10
    Escape the Taken to the motel.

Rewrite 10
    Rewrite reality for the first time.

Cool It 20
    Make sure Dr. Meadows can take another look at the skies.

Happy Ending 25
    Rewrite reality for the last time.

Glorious Dawn 10
    Survive until dawn in any Arcade Mode level.

Poetry in Motion 20
    Get a six-minute survivor streak and over 100,000 points in an Arcade level.

Enter the Nightmare 10
    Unlock all of the Nightmare Arcade Mode levels.

Skill Beats Gun 10
    Survive an Arcade level using nothing but the flashlight and handheld flares.

Survivor 30
    Get 70,000 points in any Nightmare Arcade level.

Split Splat! 15
    Take out two Splitter spawns with a single shot.

One Day I’ll Buy a Stapler 20
    Find all of the manuscript pages.

Pile 'Em High 20
    Defeat 2,000 Taken.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Wait...is this DX10 only?

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I am really happy to see enemy variety finally coming into Alan Wake. They completely missed the boat in the original by not having darkness infused wolves and deer*. Alan Wake I found had a hard time keeping me interested when the enemy variety wasn't really that great and you'd seen them all by barely 1/3 through the game.

*If you watched the live action thing they did for AW, you will see why Deer would have been a creepy addition.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Agree with you there, Aegeri. I was expecting a fight against a Taken Mammoth for a boss fight, got a forest ranger intsead.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    It's odd, because I totally had the same idea there as well. I have to wonder if they are going all Twilight Zone if they will have strange aliens and stuff as well.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Im just hoping the end will advance something - even if it is just Mr. Scratch.

With the way The Writer ended, I want to see a little bit of Alan working towards his idea. I'm not expecting any huge revelations in this, but it'd be nice to see Alan make a little more progress towards his goal.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    Scratch seems like the main antagonist in this. I'm guessing will be snuffing him out in this one, and then going back after the Dark Presence itself in Alan Wake 2: The Wrath of Payne.

God i hope Alan Wake 2 is The Writer: The Videogame, as opposed to...what Alan Wake 1 was

Well, Alan Wake had to set stuff up. It was the foreplay to the sweet love making that was the Writer.

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Well, Alan Wake had to set stuff up. It was the foreplay to the sweet love making that was the Writer.

You're trying for a thread-title change but it's not going to happen.

forumsig.png
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So is this a game I should be wanting to play? I remember, like freaking 8 years ago, getting excited for Alan Wake on the 360. We know how badly that turned out.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    So is this a game I should be wanting to play? I remember, like freaking 8 years ago, getting excited for Alan Wake on the 360. We know how badly that turned out.

Pretty well? Almost as good as Max Payne 2, one of the best games ever?

There was some wasted potential in Alan Wake, sure, but it's one of the most uniqure experiances in video gaming, and one of the few to handle cosmic horror well.

It's...worth playing. It's not really a...unique experience, in any way, since it's literally aping Steven King and Twin Peaks at any and all times and SH2 the other 10% of the time it's not aping the aforementioned two things. It's just well executed. It doesn't start being Its Own Thing until The Writer and OH LOOK REMEDY CAN ACTUALLY WRITE GOOD ORIGINAL STUFF AND MAKE UNIQUE ENVIRONMENTS WHEN IT'S NOT MAKING "Silent Twin Peaks Hill: by Steven King: The Videogame"

oh also this game has super unique product placement maybe thats what captainnemo was talking about

edited January 2012
    It references them, to be sure, but I don't think it's aping them. Inspired by, to be sure, but not a rip off. I mean, no one will mistake the Dark Presence for the Crimson King, you know what I mean?

CaptainNemo on
    the first two words in the game
    are

"stephen king"

Using that logic, any psychological thriller is a ripoff of Steven King. Or Alfred Hitchcock, depending on how old you are. There is nothing quite like Alan Wake in video games, and it's much more unique than most high-profile games.

4hNKbHH.png
    edited January 2012
    the

first

two

words

in

the

game

are

"stephen"

"king"

Rent on
    edited January 2012
    There is nothing quite like Alan Wake in video games, and it's much more unique than most high-profile games.

41bn%2BZhgviL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

256px-Maxpaynebox.jpg

Deadly_Premonition_cover_art.jpg

Rent on
    You're so cute.

4hNKbHH.png
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    someone go read Duma Key and then tell me alan wake is a completely original work with absolutely no elements lifted directly from stephen king stories

someone go read Duma Key and then tell me alan wake is a completely original work with absolutely no elements lifted directly from stephen king stories

no but see it's totally original despite the developers even saying that they were directly inspired by stephen king novels when writing the story to alan wake