As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX East Train Alliance 2012

• BigSassyBigSassy Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    HuskyDork wrote:
    Nullzone wrote:
    As for meeting on the train, Sonic Line had good success with just piling into the rearmost car. I vote we try to do that again, as it's the least likely to cause any disturbance among other passengers. Someone had a fruitfucker flag which was also handy, though I'm not sure that I have anything similar if said flag isn't available.

The flag shall be there, as either @bigsassy or one of his friends has it. I also agree on piling into the last car, as seats were pretty plentiful compared to other cars.

Alas, the owner of the fruit fucker flag has moved to the West Coast. I guess I'll need to make something new for us Sonic Line riders. For anyone boarding the sonic line, just remember to look for a tall handsome black man waving gaming paraphernalia above his head on the platform.

THAT is the entrance to the PAX car :D

BigSassy on
  • qediqedi Registered User new member
    edited January 2012
    What line you will be on: Metal Gear Line
    Name: qedi, Sarah and Dean
    Boarding Stop: Buffalo NY
    Ticket Purchased: yes

qedi on
  • FartmancerFartmancer Registered User regular
    Hello fellow train riders!

I'm looking for some advice. I already posted this in the BYOC thread, so you may have read it there, I do not know. Here goes.

Alright this is a post for all the BYOC attendees who have taken Amtrak to Boston. I was curious about the whole baggage thing, because I remembered the rule being only two carry-ons with specific size and weight restrictions. The website also mentions being able to check-in up to three items for free, and you can pay for additional items. I called Amtrak about that because I had no idea how that works. The first person I talked to on Saturday said there is no baggage check on the train from Baltimore to Boston, but I should call another number he gave me which turned out to be their shipping department, which was closed over the weekend. I spoke to a woman there today who explained that there is no baggage car if it is not an overnight train. She said I could go the station a day before my trip and send my items ahead on another train if I show them my ticket. I am not keen on this idea.

So, my question is this: how has this worked out for people who have traveled by train and also brought a desktop PC and monitor with them?

My friend is certain he saw people on previous trains just put their stuff at the front of the car, and they don't really check you on the two bag limit. I am trying to figure all of this crap out because I'd really like to attend BYOC, but it is looking like it will be rather difficult to get my PC up to Boston.

Sadly, I won't be on the PAX train, I am taking the Northeast Regional 86 up like I did last year. I like it because it gave me time to get settled in at the hotel and relax a bit before heading out to find dinner.

• JOEPROJOEPRO Grandmaster of the Lin Kuei Wilmington, DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Amtrak Baggage Policy: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Content_C&pagename=am/Layout&cid=1241267293829

What line you will be on: Sonic
    Name: Joe
    Boarding Stop: WIL (Wilmington)
    Ticket Purchased: Yuuup!
    Notes: First time taking the train, I drove up last year. I have Fluxx, Magic and Yugioh cards. I'll probably wear a PAX East 2011 shirt for reference.

JOEPRO on
    The ex-hosts of X-Play & Attack of the Show should be the floor hosts of the twitch.tv streams at PAX East!
  • UWorldsUWorlds Registered User regular
    What line you will be on: Mega Man --> Metal Gear
    Name: Steven
    Boarding Stop: either Fargo, ND or Minneapolis/St.Paul, MN (haven't decided yet)
    Ticket Purchased: not yet, still finalizing travel plans

• CapWraithCapWraith Registered User new member
    Name: Brian
    Boarding Stop: New Carrolton
    Ticket Purchased: Yes

• BigSassyBigSassy Registered User regular
    Wow, the Sonic line is going to be freaking insane this year! I'm getting excited :D

• ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    EDITED!

Did I add my name to this list yet? I don't think I have....

Name: Alex (a.k.a Propriety, a.k.a the guy with the scarf)
    Boarding Stop: Philadelphia (30th Street Station)
    Ticket Purchased: Yes!

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    What line you will be on: Metal Gear
    Name: Crash + Wife
    Boarding Stop: Chicago Illinois (Taking a train from Holland, MI to there)
    Ticket Purchased: Not yet! Waiting on tax returns!

UEAKCrash on
  • GrieveGrieve Registered User new member
    Name: Adam
    Boarding Stop: Washington, DC
    Ticket Purchased: Not yet (Might take the 86 or 174 Northeast Regional depending on timing)

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    The 86 and 174 are not PAX ETA. If you're not taking the 176, there's no point in adding you to the list.

E6LkoFK.png

Maaaan the price on my train for the two of us went up by about $100 in the few weeks since I last checked.

• SirCandleSirCandle Registered User new member
    SirCandle wrote:
    What line you will be on: Metal Gear Line
    Name: Danny + Taylor
    Boarding Stop: Waterloo (AT 1:15AM BABY AKA PARTY TIME)
    Ticket Purchased: Not yet
    Just wanted to update this, tickets have been bought and they are in my possession! All that is left now is saving up spending money. Planning ahead is awesome B)

• walnuttthewisewalnuttthewise Registered User regular
    What line you will be on: Sonic Line
    Name: Drew & Becca
    Boarding Stop: Union Station (Washington DC)
    Ticket Purchased: affirmative

• UWorldsUWorlds Registered User regular
    UWorlds wrote:
    What line you will be on: Mega Man --> Metal Gear
    Name: Steven
    Boarding Stop: either Fargo, ND or Minneapolis/St.Paul, MN (haven't decided yet)
    Ticket Purchased: not yet, still finalizing travel plans

Posting an update: I just booked the tickets, and decided to depart from Fargo. So feel free to update my information. =)

• RoboticCheeseRoboticCheese Doctor Blacksburg, VARegistered User regular
    Name: Nicholas J.A. Hartmann & posse
    Boarding Stop: New York City Penn Station
    Ticket Purchased: Not yet, but most likely sometime this week.

Uh oh! Multiple Hartman(n)s on one train! I'll either have to high-five you or challenge you to a fight to the death; not quite sure which yet...

• cs6rangercs6ranger Registered User new member
    Name: Ryan
    Boarding Stop: Chicago

• XrosfireXrosfire Registered User new member
    Name: Neil
    Boarding Stop: Toledo, OH
    Ticket Purchased: Not yet, taking care of that tomorrow

Bringing Apples to Apples for ultimate time-passage!

• Dgeorge318Dgeorge318 Registered User regular
    Psh, Apples to Apples... I'm bringing Cards Against Humanity!

• WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    Name: Wingedillidan + 2
    Boarding Stop: Philadelphia, PA

Could I change that +2 to a +3 please?

I would also like to ask a question: Will we be able to get seats with everyone else if we're boarding in Philly? I know the Northeast Regional is a somewhat more active route in terms of capacity on the train :/

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    Last year, we slowly drove the non-PAX people out of the back car (and by drove I mean they either moved up to get away from the nerd virus or it was their stop), so I'd say if you get a seat in the back cars, you can keep moving towards the back. Just keep your stubs with you.

This year, I am planning on going, but I will hopefully be a part of more QI watching and so on. I'll have my laptop handy with decent speakers.

• MagicSwordKingMagicSwordKing | (• ◡•)|╯╰(❍ᴥ❍ʋ) PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    Name: Andrew
    Boarding Stop: Lynchburg, VA

First time riding the ETA, hoping for maximum fun.

Aperture Safety Personal Observation Tester for Aperture Testing and Observation, Honorary Alphanaut, Grandmaster of the Tychonian Guard, Chronicler of the House of Brahe, Senior Editor for Mustache News, Agent of O.S.P.R.E.Y., PAX COPS Detective Inspector, and PAX Tours Saboteur.

"I think he starts in reality and ends in fantasy."
    "No he starts in fantasy and ends in chaos."
    -Anonymous
    Train tickets purchased, if you would like to update ours with:

Name: Crash + Wife
    Boarding Stop: Chicago Illinois (Taking a train from Holland, MI to there)
    Ticket Purchased: YES!

• BinarySamuraiBinarySamurai Code Chef Registered User regular
    Update my groups tickets are purchased.

• The AfromanThe Afroman Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Name:Joe
    Boarding Stop: Syracuse, NY
    Ticket Purchased: YEP!

Stoked. 9 hour trip so because i wanted a power plug.. and maybe some nap room.. i got myself a Roomette. Woo personal toilet!

The Afroman on
    XBL//The Afroman
    PSN//The_Afroman
    Twitter//@theafroman
    Google+//http://gplus.to/TheAfroman
    BigSassy wrote:
    HuskyDork wrote:
    Nullzone wrote:
    As for meeting on the train, Sonic Line had good success with just piling into the rearmost car. I vote we try to do that again, as it's the least likely to cause any disturbance among other passengers. Someone had a fruitfucker flag which was also handy, though I'm not sure that I have anything similar if said flag isn't available.

The flag shall be there, as either @bigsassy or one of his friends has it. I also agree on piling into the last car, as seats were pretty plentiful compared to other cars.

Alas, the owner of the fruit fucker flag has moved to the West Coast. I guess I'll need to make something new for us Sonic Line riders. For anyone boarding the sonic line, just remember to look for a tall handsome black man waving gaming paraphernalia above his head on the platform.

THAT is the entrance to the PAX car :D

I'm on the Metal Gear line but i figured if you really wanted too.. you could make a flag.. i'm sure a simple white flag is easy to find.. plus this..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONIC-HEDGEHOG-IRON-TRANSFER-A5-ITEM-LIGHT-FABRICS-T-SHIRTS-ETC-/230728503854?pt=UK_Crafts_Embellishments_SM&hash=item35b87d922e#ht_1549wt_1180

XBL//The Afroman
    PSN//The_Afroman
    Twitter//@theafroman
  • KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    Name:Joe
    Boarding Stop: Syracuse, NY
    Ticket Purchased: YEP!

Stoked. 9 hour trip so because i wanted a power plug.. and maybe some nap room.. i got myself a Roomette. Woo personal toilet!

Nice. If only they still had smoking cars, we could get the cigar meet-up going early... (I'm going the whole way from Chicago)

Excellent. I'm guessing if your heading in from Chicago you also got a room? I don't think i could go more then 5 hours in a seat without some decent shuteye or room to prop up my legs. Also might have to light up a cigarillo early at the final stop/walk to hotel.

XBL//The Afroman
    PSN//The_Afroman
    Twitter//@theafroman
  • Dgeorge318Dgeorge318 Registered User regular
    We spend the majority of the time in the dining car and people get up and walk around as needed. The coach seats do recline and have a footrest.

Excellent. I'm guessing if your heading in from Chicago you also got a room? I don't think i could go more then 5 hours in a seat without some decent shuteye or room to prop up my legs. Also might have to light up a cigarillo early at the final stop/walk to hotel.

Nah, skipped the room. I toughed it out in the reclining seat on a 25 hour trip from Chicago to New Orleans a couple years back, so I have every confidence that I'll be able to do so again.

I wanted a room but there are 4 of us and at $500 extra a room on top of the tickets price I didn't want to dig into my pax spending money for two rooms.

I'm planning on buying my train tickets tomorrow (pending tax return deposit into the bank account WOO!).

• radjagoradjago Registered User regular
    Dgeorge318 wrote:
    We spend the majority of the time in the dining car and people get up and walk around as needed. The coach seats do recline and have a footrest.

There's plenty of opportunities to get off the train and stretch at every stop.

Also our group's tickets have been purchased.

PAX East Train Alliance, Metal Gear Line: 2013 || 2012 || 2010
  • CernunnosCernunnos Registered User new member
    Name: Zach
    Boarding Stop: BWI

UPDATE: I have now purchased my tickets!

We have a 10 hour layover while in Chicago so we're going to end up wandering the town a bit, I think.

UEAKCrash wrote:
    We have a 10 hour layover while in Chicago so we're going to end up wandering the town a bit, I think.

I'm in downtown Chicago and will be done with class at noon, so if you want to do anything, feel free to drop me a line.

• cyberwolfcyberwolf Registered User new member
    Name: Billy + friends
    Boarding Stop: Lynchburg, VA
    Ticket Purchased: Yep

Uhg the layover in Chicago is fun but exhausting. Well it's ok as long as you don't hangout upstairs in the food courts where you get asked for money every few minutes.

• tigrerosatigrerosa Registered User new member
    Name: Lily
    Boarding Stop: Albany-Ressaelear
    Ticket Purchased: Yes, and yes!

Hope to find the fun folks from Train Jenga last year!

This discussion has been closed.