As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Salary Negotiations (UK Specific)

RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I just received my annual raise, and I don't feel it matches what I'm worth to my company.

A little more information: I joined this company three years ago straight out of University, starting on the lowest software developer rung. A rung that I'm still on, though my manager has engaged the paperwork to promote me. The new position would have a minimum salary amount considerably higher than my current level, but it's a slow and tedious process, and I have no idea if it will be finished when salaries are reconsidered in June for people earning less than their position's minimum salary. I had been hoping to get a better raise to tide me over until then, but a combination re-jiggering of annual performance scores and how much is awarded to whom means I got the same relatively small raise I did last year, which is worth less due to price rises.

In my three years with the company, I've become the Senior Expert on a technology behind some of their forward facing stuff, and only one other person that can handle this is employed by the company, and I was the one who trained him. The only other guy who could was also trained by me but left later, and because he's older he made like £9,000 a year more than I did. According to my research, I'm £8,000 a year below the average salary for a software developer in my city with my level of experience, and if I'm promoted in time for the June readjustment I'd still be below average. In short, I'm not sure the situation can continue as is.

I was unable to find anything about this in my company's HR department, but does anyone know the best way to initiate a salary negotiation when the company in question has an automated annual salary adjustment system?

RMS Oceanic on

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Is finding a new job out of the question?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Who handles the raises usually? HR or the manager?

Are you willing to quit your job right now?

And are you a valuable member that is hard to sufficiently replace?

Do you add value to the company in some way, can you explain how you do? Can you show it in dollars with reports?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Here's the thing: You're working for a shitty company that probably won't ever give you a decent raise, no matter how you open the negotiations. This is given away by the fact that they have an annual process for reconsidering salaries of people who are making less than their position's minimum.
    Do you know how other reasonable companies handle this eventuality? They give you a raise to the minimum salary of your new position when they promote you.

Edit: @BlazeFire has the right idea.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    HR decides on salary. I've been looking at other jobs, but nothing yet. I would hope it doesn't have to come to threatening to leave, but you never know.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I guess what I would do is get a list of things I do, and my original job description and match them up. Also if you have a letter that said you'd be promoted in x years use that. Bring a case to HR, say you're dissatisfied, explain you're doing more work for less pay than you would be getting at another job.

You have the longevity and the knowledge to move on up, ask if you can take on additional roles and titles with the benefits that come with that, and make sure to say you want to do this outside of the usual yearly review/promotion process.

You can strengthen this case with reports and charts that show what you've done, what you can do (trouble ticket/resolutions in code, etc). Ultimately make sure to say that you're dissatisfied with your current position and lack of mobility (don't threaten to leave yet). If they seem really unsympathetic to your plight then feel free to do whatever you want. Deal with it knowing they know you're dissatisfied or turning in your notice (that's the nuclear option though).

Generally though, this is what sucks about salaried positions, you stay roughly around what you were hired at unless you're a sufficient kiss-ass and know how to network your way up the corporate ladder. Get good at showing why you're a benefit to the company with real numbers and money values and it gets so much easier to negotiate raises.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
This discussion has been closed.