As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dust 514] Internet Cyborg Space Marines

• NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I think people are disappointed because EVE has been out for almost a decade now and when CCP finally decided to come out with a new product, which was tied to EVE and took place in the EVE universe, they decided to put it exclusively on another system. Basically, a lot of the people who have been invested in the world of EVE for so long will never get to see this major extension to it. I don't think people want it to be PC exclusive either, they just also want it on the PC and since they're not getting it there's a lot of disgruntled nerds out there

I don't think people would care at all if the game was a 'new' (new franchise) deal, but it's not, it's in the same universe and actually affects the PC game. It's like if they made Halo for the Xbox and then made Halo Wars/ODST exclusively for the Wii.

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Not a very good analogy, since EVE and DUST514 are not even in the same genre. It would be more like if they made Halo for the Xbox and then came out with a Halo RTS exclusively on the Wii.

26904.png
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    Like Halo Wars?

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    After a quick check on the googles, I've come to the conclusion that I've said something Incredibly Stupid (tm). Feel free to continue to mock my ignorance at your leisure.

26904.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Stupid wrote:
    After a quick check on the googles, I've come to the conclusion that I've said something Incredibly Stupid (tm). Feel free to continue to mock my ignorance at your leisure.

Don't feel bad, your comment would have been very poignant and eventually tragically ironic if this was several years ago. :P

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • StorkStork Registered User regular
    There is literally only one thing I care about in Dust: can you shoot friendlies? Can I join an army of enemies as a spy and shoot them all in the back, that's all I want to know.

• AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Stork wrote:
    There is literally only one thing I care about in Dust: can you shoot friendlies? Can I join an army of enemies as a spy and shoot them all in the back, that's all I want to know.

Pretty sure that you can in nullsec space, much like EVE currently there will also be a softcore space/area where those rules don't apply.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    that'd be pretty funny because then ccp would learn that people don't like playing games with bad mechanics

they haven't had to deal with that yet heh

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    friendly fire will most likely be in game. however, I would not recommend it, as even if there are no in game mechanics to deal with it, out of game mechanics we players use will make your life hell.

Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I am amused by vague e-threats. However, I'll have to agree with the Pirate Pope here.

Garthor on
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Zoel wrote:
    that'd be pretty funny because then ccp would learn that people don't like playing games with bad mechanics

I'm prety sure that in the recent interview, CCP confirmed that all the metagaming villainy we see in EVE will also be permitted in Dust. So yeah, expect spies, treachery, backstabbing, friendly fire and general shennanigans.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    V1m wrote:
    Zoel wrote:

I'm prety sure that in the recent interview, CCP confirmed that all the metagaming villainy we see in EVE will also be permitted in Dust. So yeah, expect spies, treachery, backstabbing, friendly fire and general shennanigans.

Excellent. I've wanted to do things like these for years.

I haven't really seen anything persistent about the dust experience yet to make me think it'd be anything more than ok you can teamkill

which would basically make the game unplayable and pointless since you'd start playing and then realize you couldn't unless you already had (insert team size minus one here) friends/guildies to play with you

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
    Zoel wrote:
    I haven't really seen anything persistent about the dust experience yet to make me think it'd be anything more than ok you can teamkill

which would basically make the game unplayable and pointless since you'd start playing and then realize you couldn't unless you already had (insert team size minus one here) friends/guildies to play with you

Because other FPS games with friendly fire are completely unplayable?

in public servers yeah p much

but then that's mostly a function of public servers since you'll also end up with people who kick you for being too good at the game vOv

• ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Planetside, which was an FPS MMO with tanks, bombers and artillery - had friendly fire. They also had systems in place to discourage too much of it. I'm sure if this game wants to make FF a big deal, they'll have systems in place to make sure the entire gaming experience won't suffer because of it

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    There will likely be systems in place to discourage friendly fire in NPC corps, but anything goes in a PC corp.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Zzulu wrote:
    Planetside, which was an FPS MMO with tanks, bombers and artillery - had friendly fire. They also had systems in place to discourage too much of it. I'm sure if this game wants to make FF a big deal, they'll have systems in place to make sure the entire gaming experience won't suffer because of it

And those systems were complete and utter ass. Whoops somebody dove in front of your tank in your fucking sanctuary, hope you didn't want to do anything today! Whoops you were using the grenade launcher at all, hope you don't want to use it any more!

planetside is only a good comparison if dust isn't match based

• SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    FF will finally be legit?
    Well... dang.

steam_sig.png
    This is wild speculation:

Considering that each side will have a commander controlling everything in a battle, I think it would not be unreasonable to assume they would have the capacity to deal with spies who decide to gun down their own people.

Yeah don't forget the whole "persistent universe" angle. It's not like you can join a random PUG, shot people in the back for lulz and then there are zero long term consequences. What happens in EVE if you try that shit is that your corp kicks you out, you lose access to all their nifty equipment (and possibly much of your own) and your character gets a bad rep which you can only lose by basically starting a new one on another account.

"Teamkilling" (called awoxing in EVE, and therefore likely in Dust, for reasons too hilarious to go into here) is only an issue in the worse scrub alliances that literally recruit anyone, and even then you only get a brief killing spree in before you get kicked. Spies are far more of an issue.

• Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Am I missing the point here?

I understand being bent that this extension wouldn't be released on PC, but if you're a current EVE player, wouldn't you wish to continue to play your game but now with the ability to have groundpounders at your disposal?

I personally would love to be the pilot above, but considering I'm a console player (being limited on time to sink into EVE) I think *if implemented as intended* this is a very cool idea.

To get cohesiveness between the ships above and the grunts beneath could make for some very remarkable outcomes. Gives the overall conflict more realistic nature imo...again if pulled off as intended.

I'll be watching this one closely post-launch, I don't want to get Brink'd again. ;)

Lt. Fragg on
  • DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    Lt. Fragg wrote:

I understand being bent that this extension wouldn't be released on PC, but if you're a current EVE player, wouldn't you wish to continue to play your game but now with the ability to have groundpounders at your disposal?

I persoanlly would love to be the pilot above, but considering I'm a console player (being limited on time to sink into EVE) I think *if implemented as intended* this is a very cool idea.

To get cohesiveness between the ships above and the grunts beneath could make for some very remarkable outcomes. Gives the overall conflict more realistic nature imo...again if pulled off as intended.

I'll be watching this one closely post-launch, I don't want to get Brink'd again. ;)

I play EVE and am a huge Halo fan, so I have a 360. While I am disappointed I won't get to put my boots in the mud, I think given the choice I would choose to be doing fire missions from orbit. Or blowing up enemies doing fire missions.

Fleet does the flyin', Mobile Infantry does the dyin'.

N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho
  • Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    Drain wrote:
    Lt. Fragg wrote:

I persoanlly would love to be the pilot above, but considering I'm a console player (being limited on time to sink into EVE) I think *if implemented as intended* this is a very cool idea.

I play EVE and am a huge Halo fan, so I have a 360. While I am disappointed I won't get to put my boots in the mud, I think given the choice I would choose to be doing fire missions from orbit. Or blowing up enemies doing fire missions.

Fleet does the flyin', Mobile Infantry does the dyin'.

Hehe exactly :)

You flyboys get to be all clean cut and get the women, while us cigar chomping *insert more stereotypical ground pounder stuff here* infantry die by the thousands trying to achieve your mission objectives.

Really hoping they can pull this off, or get other developers to think in this frame of mind. Interesting way to merge the PC and console crowd. Too bad MS can't relinquish control of their servers for this experiment game.

Lt. Fragg wrote:

I personally would love to be the pilot above, but considering I'm a console player (being limited on time to sink into EVE) I think *if implemented as intended* this is a very cool idea.

I think a major source of the disappointment is that "DUST on the PC" would fill a major gap in the EVE experience. EVE is all about long-term gameplay, lots of strategic plans, etc. Everything takes a long time to do, and most of the big fights revolve around timers and therefore mean that there's a lot of "hurry up and wait".

EVE really needs some easy-access quick thrills where you can blow some guys up and be all done in an hour, but still have advanced your overall EVE goals in some way, and that's exactly what DUST could in theory provide. Thus lots of EVE players want it, but don't want to have to shell out a couple of hundred bucks for a console to get it.

I know it's strange to you guys that don't have one already but a lot of people don't have to shell out a couple of hundred bucks to play Dust as they already have a PS3. That is an existing demographic, just making sure you know that and that the non-ps3 owning people don't continue to be the voice for everyone.

steam_sig.png
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    I own a PS3 and Xbox, so it was just a matter of when the game was coming. I'm really interested in what the game will look like and how it will play. If those things turn out well, I'll probably drop some money on it. But I strongly doubt this'll be a day one purchase for me.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
    Adda wrote:
    I know it's strange to you guys that don't have one already but a lot of people don't have to shell out a couple of hundred bucks to play Dust as they already have a PS3. That is an existing demographic, just making sure you know that and that the non-ps3 owning people don't continue to be the voice for everyone.

We were talking about why EVE players specifically were hurtebutte about it coming out on the PS3 only.

• rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    see I'm a 2006 eve player and I'm happy it's only on ps3

Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
    edited February 2012
    V1m wrote:
    Adda wrote:

We were talking about why EVE players specifically were hurtebutte about it coming out on the PS3 only.

Under the assumption that EVE players don't own PS3's. Isn't there around 250k active subscriptions to EVE and 50+ million PS3's sold worldwide. I would like to think that there is a heavy crossover in population there but I may be wrong and there is no way of me finding out.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    The volume of hurtebutte suggests otherwise. I certainly don't have one.

Well I can't argue with the hurtebutte, that's for sure :D

steam_sig.png
    So, CCP finally got off their ass and you can check your account management page to see if you are properly signed up for the beta now.

• AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    This is going to be my excuse to finally play the Uncharted games, I think.

• ArandmoorArandmoor Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    V1m wrote: »
    Adda wrote:

It's coming out on the PC. Just not immediately. Exclusives happen when a console manufacturer offers a developer lots of money for exclusive rights. CCP tried to negotiate with Microsoft to let Dust on 360 communicate with Tranquility. Microsoft ate a bag of dicks, and then proceeded to make the latest in a very long line of bad moves (I blame Steve Balmer because I can and fuck proof). So CCP, who were also in negotiations with Sony for PS3 release rights because they're not retarded, would have made the results of the CCP-MS Dust514 negotiations public seeing as how MS tends to tell you "No" in a very loud voice while they beat their chest (I wish I were making that part up but I've heard stories about those meetings. Of course, most large publishers have serious male dominance issues at the corporate level, and yes, they will try to hump your leg if you give them the chance). Seeing the opportunity to one-up Microsoft, I bet Sony offered CCP enough money for exclusive rights to put a serious dent in their Dust514 development expenditures, and they would have just shut up, taken the check, and began calculating how long it would take to port to PC to determine how long after release to wait to start that particular development process.

"Platform Exclusive Rights" aren't eternal. After they run out, we'll get it on PC. XBox 360 is a different story because the XBox policy writers at M$ went full retard where XBox internet connectivity is concerned.

Arandmoor on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Thing is, multi-platform MMO's almost never plan out. They take an insane amount of money to do properly on account of balancing continuing development costs with porting a game properly.

I can count the number of multi-platform MMO's that actually managed to take their game past the first platform on my hand. And all of the ones that did this did it by developing a PC and console version at the same time and releasing it.

Given that CCP put WoD on the backburner for this due to monetary concerns, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Archonex on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    It's not really porting EVE though. It's tied to EVE, but doesn't share it's gameplay.

The issue is whether you can have stuff happening in one affect the other in a meaningful, not broken way.

• StorkStork Registered User regular
    The other issue with having a shooter on a console and PC is you end up handicapping issues and have to deal with it in some way. PCs will just absolutely smoke the console players unless you put in mechanisms like Monday Night Combat uses (I think - never played it) or something similar.