As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA Comic: Monday, Jan. 23, 2012 - Efficacy

2»

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    1HBqB.jpg

• Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    I suppose it's also worth mentioning that your squad misbehaving in ME3 with voice command isn't really different than the way your squad misbehaves in ME1 or ME2 with controller commands.

• Options
    thehappycactusthehappycactus Registered User new member
    Not meaning to veer off topic here, but Tycho says in the news post that, in regards to the Kinect, "They’ve really fucked this thing up, in my opinion: I genuinely hate using this device." Not having a Kinect myself, I was wondering if anybody could explain why it's so terrible; how has the new Dashboard screwed it up so much? I used it (albeit briefly) in a Best Buy and thought the voice worked pretty well and was pretty darn cool. Why if he was a proponent at first, does Tycho hate it so much now?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    This is a fantastic comic. Both the deer combing bar and just how up and ready Garrus is to go get a sno-cone.

• Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    I don't get it. The dashboard works fine through the Kinect for me.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Not meaning to veer off topic here, but Tycho says in the news post that, in regards to the Kinect, "They’ve really fucked this thing up, in my opinion: I genuinely hate using this device." Not having a Kinect myself, I was wondering if anybody could explain why it's so terrible; how has the new Dashboard screwed it up so much? I used it (albeit briefly) in a Best Buy and thought the voice worked pretty well and was pretty darn cool. Why if he was a proponent at first, does Tycho hate it so much now?

That somewhat confuses me too. The new Dashboard is whatever, but I haven't noticed much effect on the voice commands. The main problem with Kinect is that they haven't forced any consistency of usability across apps or sub-menus, so you can't just leave your controller on the floor and lean back on the couch, because if you're searching for something to watch it's all going to stop working as soon as you get into the Netflix app.

• Options
    npramseynpramsey Registered User new member
    I'm excited about voice controls.

Hopefully I'll never use them, but this technology opens up a lot of doors for people who have disabilities. Imagine having a C5 spinal cord injury, and still being able to play Mass Effect.

Let's face it - at any point, any one of us could become disabled. Hell, any of us who are lucky enough to reach old age will probably have some form of disability. It's reassuring to know that we can still play some games, no matter how much function we lose. This is also great for beneficiaries of the Child's Play charity. A lot of kids in hospitals have disabilities...

Hilarious comic, but I think Tycho overlooked some of the positive implications in his news post.

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    lol

If you can actually comb deer in the game, I will at least consider a rental.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    NibCrom wrote:
    lol

If you can actually comb deer in the game, I will at least consider a rental.

if it's still in development, I wouldn't put it past Bioware to stick in an easter egg.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    npramsey wrote:

Hopefully I'll never use them, but this technology opens up a lot of doors for people who have disabilities. Imagine having a C5 spinal cord injury, and still being able to play Mass Effect.

Let's face it - at any point, any one of us could become disabled. Hell, any of us who are lucky enough to reach old age will probably have some form of disability. It's reassuring to know that we can still play some games, no matter how much function we lose. This is also great for beneficiaries of the Child's Play charity. A lot of kids in hospitals have disabilities...

Hilarious comic, but I think Tycho overlooked some of the positive implications in his news post.

Wow um that's a bit fatalistic. Is your raven sick?

Also whatever applications it may have it'd be better if they you know work in a consistent manner.

Ten different games will have ten wildly different success rates with using Kinect.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    dren wrote:
    Am I the only person wondering why we need a kinect for voice commands? There has always been a microphone port in the 360 controller.

The headset microphone would be substantially better than the kinect since people couldn't walk into the room and screw with your game by yelling the voice commands.
    jackal wrote:
    The Kinect is able to isolate the voice of the player from background noise.

So is a headset microphone.

The Kinect is pointless when it comes to voice commands.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I thought the Kinect had the voice recognition stuff in it. So you could use any old mic to talk to your 360, but you need a Kinect for it to understand you.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    the kinect has processing power built into it to help parse the language being spoken. multiple mics working in tandem to put together the words in a way the console understands. they could have this done on the 360 with a normal mic but it would take away resources that could be used elsewhere in the game, especially when most games nowadays are pushing these machines to their limits that seems like a bad idea.
    now obviously it varies in effectiveness from game to game (and especially in an early build of the game), but using 'bing' and kinect, you can access just about anything you need from your 360 instantly. it's more useful than people give it credit for, but often because they play games which utilize the tech poorly

• Options
    npramseynpramsey Registered User new member
    npramsey wrote:

Wow um that's a bit fatalistic. Is your raven sick?

Also whatever applications it may have it'd be better if they you know work in a consistent manner.

Ten different games will have ten wildly different success rates with using Kinect.

I was thinking realistic more than fatalistic. I work in healthcare, where I confront disability on a daily bases. The topic isn't taboo for me. It's my job to think about these things.

One of the things I do is advocate for policy changes and new technologies that improve access for people with disabilities. It can be difficult to generate interest, in part because there's a false perception that such changes would only affect a small percentage of people. In reality, however, everyone is affected. All of us can, and probably will, at some point have a disability resulting from age or injury. We tend to hate thinking about it so much that we take precious little effort to protect our own interests. The market size and demand for these technologies are actually huge - bigger than many of us are comfortable with admitting.

Of course, speech commands have never been perfect, and the Kinect could use a LOT of work and refinement. What excites me is that console games are starting to take some bold new directions with control interfaces. The situation may not be ideal, but it is a start. Being an optimist, I'm excited to think about the potential. I just won't be using the damn thing unless I have to.

• Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    dren wrote:
    Am I the only person wondering why we need a kinect for voice commands? There has always been a microphone port in the 360 controller.

The headset microphone would be substantially better than the kinect since people couldn't walk into the room and screw with your game by yelling the voice commands.
    jackal wrote:
    The Kinect is able to isolate the voice of the player from background noise.

So is a headset microphone.

The Kinect is pointless when it comes to voice commands.

Except you set it up and forget about it. I don't have to find my headset, (sync & worry about batteries)/(untangle & plug-in) and then wear it on my head like some type of caveman! My Xbox has fucking ears. Sometimes I forget that this is some Star Trek type shit going on and try to talk to my TV.

jackal on
  • Options
    drendren Registered User new member
    I don't know about Tycho but the other day I turned on my Kinect to watch a basketball game on the ESPN app. Thanks to the new update I had to dig through a bunch of menus and redownload the app. Once I found the app and started watching the game the Kinect did me wrong twice. The first time it misunderstood regular conversation for the word "pause". After that it went nuts with motion recognition and thought we were doing the Kinect pause movement, then started selecting stuff from its pause menu. We were sitting on the couch, not moving. I unplugged the Kinect. Furthermore, I find controlling menus by waving my hands in the air and/or speaking to be a substantially worse experience than controlling menus via controller. Voice control and motion recognition are an inexact method of control that takes longer than using a controller. The only thing the Kinect's got over the controller is that it doesn't go to sleep and shut itself off after it's been sitting on your couch for a while.

Kinect aside, the 360 is not that good a place to say, watch a specific movie. The 360 is ok if you'd like to use into a specific service you've paid for and you know what you want to watch is there but lets go back to the movie. Maybe you're lucky and it's on netflix instant. Nope, not there. You can try to download it from Zune marketplace but oh no it's not available there either. Your next option is to sift through the many apps hoping to find one that has your movie and is not a new subscription service you have to buy. Every app has a different selection and different UI, which adds to the frustration of searching them all. At this point, if you are like me, you say "Damn I should have stopped at redbox earlier," give up and play fruit ninja.

I'd also like to call out the fios app. I have fios and there is a fios tv app that lets me watch tv, but not all the channels. Why would I use the fios app instead of my dvr? So I can be signed into messenger and control TV with my clunky xbox controller or buggy Kinect instead of the zenith of design that is my tv remote? So I can experience picture quality drops and buffering due to streaming? Is there some killer feature of the app that I missed or is the fios app as lacking as it looks?

/offtopic

• Options
    All VOD is going to have the problem with lower quality due to streaming. It has the upside over a DVR in that you don't have to remember to record ahead of time. I'm sure your cable box also has the VOD feature as well, so the app seems a bit redundant. I guess if you have you 360 on a TV without a set top box it would be convenient.

With that being said, you have a real problem with completely ignoring the up side of something, focusing on the down side and declaring that thing pointless.

• Options
    BrymBrym Registered User regular
    dren wrote:

Kinect aside, the 360 is not that good a place to say, watch a specific movie. The 360 is ok if you'd like to use into a specific service you've paid for and you know what you want to watch is there but lets go back to the movie. Maybe you're lucky and it's on netflix instant. Nope, not there. You can try to download it from Zune marketplace but oh no it's not available there either. Your next option is to sift through the many apps hoping to find one that has your movie and is not a new subscription service you have to buy. Every app has a different selection and different UI, which adds to the frustration of searching them all. At this point, if you are like me, you say "Damn I should have stopped at redbox earlier," give up and play fruit ninja.

/offtopic

The bing search does search multiple VOD apps. I know when my wife wanted to watch Bridesmaids the other night, it showed us that we could watch it either in Zune or in VUDU. My only complaint is that it doesn't search Netflix instant as well (and I imagine not Hulu plus either). So it only partially solves the problem.

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    jackal wrote:
    I can't convince my wife that using an angry tone of voice isn't going to make the Kinect take her more seriously.

I've found that the voice recognition in new cars seems to work more often when you're screaming at it at the top of your lungs. You probably don't need to ask how I discovered that one.

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I don't think this was posted yet; seems appropriate. Kinda sums the whole thing up.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2akSqW85I6g

Does kind of suck that the clip cut out the full 'grandpa' comeback.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    SuperdupeSuperdupe Registered User regular
    Okay, I get the whole "come here" = "comb deer" wordplay, but what's the deal with the sno-cone thing in the first panel? Is it some kind of play on "Garrus, attack" = "get us a snack" or is it just showing the absurdity that can result from voice commands?

Man, I am thinking too hard about this comic.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I'll admit, even after considering it off and on since Monday, I don't understand the connection between "attack" and "procure sno-cone," assuming there's supposed to be one at all.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Garrus just wanted a sno-cone and was using kinect as an excuse