As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The TV Thread: More for Less

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    There is only one brand of DLP, so I'd guess it was a mitsu

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was almost entirely on board until I heard that the bulb thing is still an issue.

Someone in SA suggested I just buy speakers for the TV. It's not a bad idea, but if it takes up the headphone jack (which I use for headphones at night), then that's just an extra amount of clutter.

I'm going to call the electronics store now to see what their estimate is. If it was at least around $50 I would go for it, as it was my plan to sell the TV off before getting a new one. Having slightly defective speakers depreciates the value.

edited January 2012
    Yeah, I was almost entirely on board until I heard that the bulb thing is still an issue.

Someone in SA suggested I just buy speakers for the TV. It's not a bad idea, but if it takes up the headphone jack (which I use for headphones at night), then that's just an extra amount of clutter.

I'm going to call the electronics store now to see what their estimate is. If it was at least around $50 I would go for it, as it was my plan to sell the TV off before getting a new one. Having slightly defective speakers depreciates the value.

Buy a reciever?

That was going to be my initial suggestion, but you said "using the home theater" so I thought you already had one, but didn't like to use it for whatever reason.

I mean, if the TV works fine, and your only issue is the sound, buying speakers/a reciever/a soundbar/HTIB will solve it all.

Burtletoy on
    edited January 2012
    I do have a home theater, but it would be kind of a pain to have it blasting the whole time, even when I'm watching something mundane like Law and Order.

I could always set it to midnight mode (turns off the bass), but that's just another hassle when I forget to turn it back on for the high impact stuff.

I'm heading out to BB either way and shop around. I called the service and it already sounded like it wasn't worth the cost (I didn't get an estimate, but it would be over $50 just for the diagnostic, and they mentioned $300 as an example rate).

Professor Snugglesworth on
    I can't imagine wanting to listen to anything out of TV speakers. I've had speakers/reciever set up on my TV since I was living at home in middle school.

Can't you just turn the volumn down? I mean, it doesn't need to be blasting.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote:
    I can't imagine wanting to listen to anything out of TV speakers. I've had speakers/reciever set up on my TV since I was living at home in middle school.

Can't you just turn the volumn down? I mean, it doesn't need to be blasting.

Yeah. TV speakers are garbage - if you have a HT, use it :P

edited January 2012
    I decided not to go through with it.

I came really damn close, though: ultimately managed to get a deal from HH Greg for this TV: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-pn59d8000/4505-6482_7-34468622.html

$1899, including two 3D glasses and a blu ray player, as well as 2 years no finance.

But what ultimately had me decide against it (aside from funds) was that in order to get a free calibration, I would have to pay $399 for the 3 year warranty. The sales clerk damn near sold me on that as well, stating that it would only be a $10 extra difference when paid through the minimum balance per month, but I just didn't think it was worth it.

Generally speaking, I think paying extra for warranty is bullocks, but since my current TV was calibrated (and for free too), I didn't want to risk the chance that the newer TV would look "worse" because it wasn't calibrated.

It was real tough to walk away from the deal, though. There is some mystical shit going on that makes it very hard to not buy a huge TV like that when surrounded by the top-of-the-line brands, and with a suave salesman promising to wave two to three hundred dollars off.

So I'm going to go the speaker route. The headphone port is no longer an issue either, as apparently splitters are ridiculously cheap: http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-Stereo-Female-Adapter/dp/B000J1BRY8/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1327700483&sr=8-11

I just need a suggestion on a decent (and no more than $20) pair of speakers to act as the new TV speakers. I don't need anything huge or booming, since again I have a home theater, just whatever gets the job done and can carry over a small room without the boom of a home theater.

It's probably best this way anyway, since I can include the speakers with the TV when the time comes to sell it (I was pissed before because having the damaged internal speakers only depreciates the value).

Professor Snugglesworth on
    I would guess there is very little difference in quality in sub-$20 speakers.

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Incindium wrote:
    Those DLP's aren't as bright as an LCD... but they sure offer a massive bang for your buck.. Also and you'll have to replace the bulb on them every 2-3 years. I've got a 65" Mitsubishi that I've had for a bit over 3 years... Still on the original bulb and really need to replace it as it has dimmed a lot. If you do a lot of daytime watching or are putting in a bright room I'd recommend going LCD. But if you just want the most size for the dollar you can't beat the DLP Mitsubishi's.

Is it an LED DLP? I have the Samsung HLT5087S LED DLP, bought it about four or five years ago, and haven't replaced its lamp yet. It's something I've been worrying about lately, though. I don't think it's dimmed much, so perhaps I'll be good for awhile yet, but then again I haven't seen a fresher bulb/lamp to compare it to.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    They don't make LED DLPs any more, for whatever stupid reason.

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Burtletoy wrote:
    They don't make LED DLPs any more, for whatever stupid reason.

No kidding? I wonder why they don't; maybe they just like the added sales from people replacing their bulbs/lamps? I guess I have nothing to worry about with mine then, and I could wait to replace my TV for another year or so and instead focus on buying audio equipment. It was either going to be a new plasma HDTV, a computer part and the Energy Take Classic 5.1 speaker system in the latter half of this year or that computer part and speaker system with headphones, headphone amplifiers, and computer speakers.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Hey guys, did a bit of research but have a question that I'm not sure on. I heard that 120hz TV's need to have a manual way of switching to 60hz or else you can end up with motion blur in some action movies. But, the TV I'm looking at is a 40" Samsung LED 1080p 120Hz HDTV (Model: UN40D6050) - and comes with CMR to auto adjust. My question to you fine people is this. A) I have more than One question. 2) Does CMR work well? iii) Is this TV worth the $948 price tag? FOUR) Is there a better option I should be looking at?

Main thing is this, it's not for me, it's my parents that are in the market, and it's for my Father, who's closing in on 80 so his eye sight isn't the greatest, but he's not blind, so the picture needs to be good, but not the best. All other internet/app features will NOT be used as I doubt he would touch them unless I forced him to. There is no Audio hook ups or anything to worry about, just a straight HDMI from the cable box to the TV and done.

Thanks in advance for the help!

50433.png?1708759015
  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    Hi TV thread, I'm looking to replace my failing 42" LCD projection TV and could use some advice.

It's used for cable with lots of sports, console gaming, and as the monitor for the main PC in the house which is used for video, web surfing, and a bit of gaming. I don't care about 3D. The TV sits about 9-12 feet away in a room that's usually neither really dark, nor really bright. It's also in Canada. I want something bigger (50-something would be great) and would prefer to keep it closer to $1000 than $1500+

I was thinking something along the lines of a mid-50 inch LED like this one, but most of them are a little more expensive than I'd like. I've read that plasmas are better for movies than displaying crisp text.

Am I looking in the right direction or would I get better value for my money elsewhere? Is there anything in particular I should keep in mind? Thanks in advance.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
    Well, if you were in the US I would tell you to go to Costco and get a 60" Panasonic ST30 for $1200.

But you're not, so I have no idea how to help :P

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    an_alt wrote:
    Hi TV thread, I'm looking to replace my failing 42" LCD projection TV and could use some advice.

It's used for cable with lots of sports, console gaming, and as the monitor for the main PC in the house which is used for video, web surfing, and a bit of gaming. I don't care about 3D. The TV sits about 9-12 feet away in a room that's usually neither really dark, nor really bright. It's also in Canada. I want something bigger (50-something would be great) and would prefer to keep it closer to $1000 than $1500+

I was thinking something along the lines of a mid-50 inch LED like this one, but most of them are a little more expensive than I'd like. I've read that plasmas are better for movies than displaying crisp text.

Am I looking in the right direction or would I get better value for my money elsewhere? Is there anything in particular I should keep in mind? Thanks in advance.

I picked up a LG 50'' plasma on Boxing day, and I've personally been loving it. I mainly just use it for console games. Haven't had it hooked up to a PC, but games and text are perfectly clear, even visiting the forums on the PS3 browser. So I can't imagine a PC input would be radically different. It's pretty barebones; no 3D, no fancy USB options, just a big honking screen. So if that's all you're interested in, it works a treat. There's glare, but I had a 46 rear projection TV before this, and I honestly don't have any more glare than I did before. Just a bit of a reflection in a moderately bright room if the screen is really dark. And I'm no audiophile, but the speakers are completely serviceable, no worse than any other TV I've ever had.

So if you're just looking for a standard 50'' screen, it's only $649 and it's got my thumbs up.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited February 2012
    Thanks for the responses, guys. After reading if plasmas being suitable as monitors, I've found that people like to argue about the subject. It doesn't seem to be a problem, but if anyone else here has tried it, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

The LG 50pv400 (which seems to be a cheaper 50pv450) reviewed quite poorly on color accuracy and motion. Since The Wolfman, who seems to be a pretty reasonable guy, is happy with it, I wonder if I'm not over thinking this. The ST30s seem to be getting good reviews, but I can't get close to that American Costco price. The S30s have a decent price tag and similar, though slightly worse, performance.

After looking at prices and reviews, I've shortlisted the following models. I don't think I can read any more reviews, so I'd love to hear any advice on deciding between them.

For plasmas, the 51" Samsung PN51D550 for $900, the Panasonic 60" TCP60S30 for $1250, or the 50" TCP50ST30 for $1000.

For LED TVs, the 46" Samsung UN46D6000 for $1000 (or 55" for $1500) or the 55" LG 55LV5500 for $1000.

Edit: Updated the model numbers to match the size I'm looking at which isn't necessarily the size being reviewed.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
    Oh I missed the "Monitor" part. Even with all the advances regarding burn-in, I'd be nervous about using a plasma as a primary PC monitor.

Of LEDs, the Samsung will be a better performer, but the extra 9" on the LG would be nice. Tough decision...

Banzai5150 wrote:
    Hey guys, did a bit of research but have a question that I'm not sure on. I heard that 120hz TV's need to have a manual way of switching to 60hz or else you can end up with motion blur in some action movies. But, the TV I'm looking at is a 40" Samsung LED 1080p 120Hz HDTV (Model: UN40D6050) - and comes with CMR to auto adjust. My question to you fine people is this. A) I have more than One question. 2) Does CMR work well? iii) Is this TV worth the $948 price tag? FOUR) Is there a better option I should be looking at?

Main thing is this, it's not for me, it's my parents that are in the market, and it's for my Father, who's closing in on 80 so his eye sight isn't the greatest, but he's not blind, so the picture needs to be good, but not the best. All other internet/app features will NOT be used as I doubt he would touch them unless I forced him to. There is no Audio hook ups or anything to worry about, just a straight HDMI from the cable box to the TV and done.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Anyone have any advice or thoughts here?

50433.png?1708759015
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'd not pay $950 for only a 40" TV when I could get a 55" for the same price... If you only want a 40" you can go cheap and get a 720p plasma model for half that price. Especially if buying for older parents who aren't likely to notice the difference between any HD TV's picture quality anyway.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    Incindium wrote:
    I'd not pay $950 for only a 40" TV when I could get a 55" for the same price... If you only want a 40" you can go cheap and get a 720p plasma model for half that price. Especially if buying for older parents who aren't likely to notice the difference between any HD TV's picture quality anyway.

Ok, thanks, that's what I wanted to hear. I may just send them to Walmart and have them pick up a Vizio something or another in the 42" range they want.

50433.png?1708759015
    You have hhGregg where you are at? The have TV's on sale for Superbowl weekend(got an email ad this morning) and saw this Samsung for $450 which looks reasonable.

http://www.hhgregg.com/samsung-43-720p-plasma-hdtv/item/PN43D450

Hell they have the 51" version of it for $597.77

Tv's have gotten so cheap it is ridiculous.

steam_sig.png
    Incindium wrote:
    You have hhGregg where you are at? The have TV's on sale for Superbowl weekend(got an email ad this morning) and saw this Samsung for $450 which looks reasonable.

Thanks for the info, I'll pass that on. I noticed a Vizio at Walmart 1080p for 450'sh as well at 42". I remember this thread saying decent things about Vizio, so I'll give both to my parents to look at.

50433.png?1708759015
  • alabasteralabaster Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    an_alt wrote:
    Thanks for the responses, guys. After reading if plasmas being suitable as monitors, I've found that people like to argue about the subject. It doesn't seem to be a problem, but if anyone else here has tried it, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

The LG 50pv400 (which seems to be a cheaper 50pv450) reviewed quite poorly on color accuracy and motion. Since The Wolfman, who seems to be a pretty reasonable guy, is happy with it, I wonder if I'm not over thinking this. The ST30s seem to be getting good reviews, but I can't get close to that American Costco price. The S30s have a decent price tag and similar, though slightly worse, performance.

After looking at prices and reviews, I've shortlisted the following models. I don't think I can read any more reviews, so I'd love to hear any advice on deciding between them.

For plasmas, the 51" Samsung PN51D550 for $900, the Panasonic 60" TCP60S30 for $1250, or the 50" TCP50ST30 for $1000.

For LED TVs, the 46" Samsung UN46D6000 for $1000 (or 55" for $1500) or the 55" LG 55LV5500 for $1000.

Edit: Updated the model numbers to match the size I'm looking at which isn't necessarily the size being reviewed.

I purchased the Samsung PN51D650 from Amazon for around $950 right before Christmas and I'm really happy with it. I opted for the D650 over the D550 because the D650 has additional anti-glare coating. I use the TV in a room with a lot of natural light during the day and get barely any reflection/glare. Depending on the room you put it in that might not be an issue for you though.

alabaster on
    PSN: RedBeardtheAngry XBL: alabaster
    Banzai5150 wrote:
    Incindium wrote:

Thanks for the info, I'll pass that on. I noticed a Vizio at Walmart 1080p for 450'sh as well at 42". I remember this thread saying decent things about Vizio, so I'll give both to my parents to look at.

of course, after talking with them, their adamant about Samsung, LED and 1080p. I swear, Old people! Fine, buy the damn one you were curious about at Sams Club and quit asking me for advice.

50433.png?1708759015
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. Also, I hate you Americans and your having Amazon send you things besides books.

Even though a plasma would probably be fine as a monitor, I'm still a little nervous about it. Without the pc, plasma really did look like the better option. Of the LEDs, I've decided on the Samsung in 55", which happens to be in stock at the local Best Buy.

Oddly enough, I IM'd a friend who happens to work at Costco and was coming over for the Superbowl about borrowing his truck. After getting as far as 'hey', he immediately suggested coming down to Costco where he could sell me a TV, followed by mounting each other, followed by mounting the TV on my wall. Slightly less oddly, they have a single UN55D6000 in stock which he has already discounted significantly and put on hold. Tomorrow he helps me pick it up and wall mount it.

I haven't promised any other mounting though...

Pony wrote:
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I will say that, with this being my first plasma, I've been hella worried about burn in. There's been a few times where I thought I had fucked up and burned in something like the hearts from Zelda. This thing just has image retention up the wazoo. It always goes away after about a minute, but it still freaks me out a bit every time.

If its primary life was going to be a monitor, and with something like Window's taskbar being omnipresent... yeah you probably made the right call in not getting one. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    I'm really excited. I should be able to get this TV (Samsung PN51D550) for about $160 out of (my) pocket if all goes to plan. I just need to sell my old Sony BRAVIA 40" for around $250.

I noticed a couple owners of the above Samsung TV in this thread. What are your opinions of it down the road? I'll be using mine for some gaming (PS3 and Xbox 360) and watching video on my HTPC. Might try some 3D out, but I'm more interested in the nice inky blacks from Plasma. Also I don't pay power in my apartment :).

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    After having the UN55D6000 for about a week, I'm really happy with it. There is a bit of flashlighting, but it's only noticeable if the picture is letter-boxed. The calibration settings I found on the AVS forums were a big help with getting it to look great. It works well as a TV and a monitor.

Pony wrote:
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I'm getting close to the point where I want to upgrade my ancient, decrepit, 34 inch CRT, and I'm looking at the 42 inch range, and am still very undecided about plasma or LCD.

So, this range of TVs happens to be uniquely stable or unstable in terms of price, anyone have general recommendations about keeping apprised of online deals? I'm not in a big rush, so I thought it might be good to wait and hop on a good deal when I see it, but I can't think of a good way to monitor price drops on the massive supply at Amazon.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited February 2012
    Septus wrote:
    I'm getting close to the point where I want to upgrade my ancient, decrepit, 34 inch CRT, and I'm looking at the 42 inch range, and am still very undecided about plasma or LCD.

So, this range of TVs happens to be uniquely stable or unstable in terms of price, anyone have general recommendations about keeping apprised of online deals? I'm not in a big rush, so I thought it might be good to wait and hop on a good deal when I see it, but I can't think of a good way to monitor price drops on the massive supply at Amazon.

Well for monitoring Amazon, you can use camelcamelcamel.com once you lock in on a few different models. For general stuff, you can watch the Found Deals section at AVSForum (though they tend to to focus on high-end and large-size products) or the forums at slickdeals.net (make to actually read the forum, not the front page - most of the good stuff gets sold out before it gets there).

For 42", you're mainly going to be looking at LEDs. The main plasma makers (Samsung and Panasonic) have abandoned sub-46" sizes on all but their lowest-end models in the US.

If you aren't super-concerned about having the latest and greatest, this is actually a good time to buy as the 2011 models are being blown-out all over the place. Do you have a budget in mind?

a5ehren on
    I definitely saw a few, if not a plethora, of 42 inch plasmas, though I might consider a 46 incher, as soon as I get a better idea of my viewing distance at the new apartment.

I'd really like to stay under $600, which was why I was looking for deals, and I'm seeing what look like pretty great sales in the $400-500 range.

edited February 2012
    This is a really good deal

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05775861000P?prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5

$549.88 for a Zenith 50" 1080p Plasma... Zenith is just an LG with a different name on it for Sears.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    That's the one I bought back at Christmas time. So far it's been a most excellent television.

Hmm, the AVSforums indicates a lack of technical specs though, since it doesn't exactly match any LG model, as well as a few LG-specific complaints about them lagging a bit on plasma technology. And then there's that re-stocking fee.

Is it a particularly great deal, or a good deal that's just available now? I think I saw a few newegg eblast deals that were in the range of $200 off, but I think the part of the equation that I won't know, is value of the MSRP itself.

Septus wrote:
    Hmm, the AVSforums indicates a lack of technical specs though, since it doesn't exactly match any LG model, as well as a few LG-specific complaints about them lagging a bit on plasma technology. And then there's that re-stocking fee.

Is it a particularly great deal, or a good deal that's just available now? I think I saw a few newegg eblast deals that were in the range of $200 off, but I think the part of the equation that I won't know, is value of the MSRP itself.

It's probably similar to a low-end LG panel. I don't know if its a great deal, but as long as it turns on you should be able to dial the picture into something decent.

Also, how should I tailor my shopping, considering that I'll likely use the speakers in the TV for a good long while, until I get a speaker system? Are they all going to be generate at least pretty decent sound?

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Even nice TV's have, at best, adequate sound. It will totally do the job, but you will appreciate the additional depth, fullness, and detail of a separate amplified speaker system when you get one. I wouldn't worry about it.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Hey guys. My DLP TV died on me today. So I'm in the market for a new one... I've been drooling over LED TVs since their conception... Are there any downsides to them? I'm a heavy, heavy gamer so if they suck with games please tell me now and I'll get a 51" Plasma for roughly half the cost.

e: The TV I'm thinking about getting: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+55"+Class+/+LED+/+1080p+/+120Hz+/+HDTV/4834412.p?skuId=4834412&id=1218540193959

urahonky on
    urahonky wrote: »
    Hey guys. My DLP TV died on me today. So I'm in the market for a new one... I've been drooling over LED TVs since their conception... Are there any downsides to them? I'm a heavy, heavy gamer so if they suck with games please tell me now and I'll get a 51" Plasma for roughly half the cost.

e: The TV I'm thinking about getting: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+55"+Class+/+LED+/+1080p+/+120Hz+/+HDTV/4834412.p?skuId=4834412&id=1218540193959

They're fine with games. I prefer plasma, but if you want LED they're OK too.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

They're fine with games. I prefer plasma, but if you want LED they're OK too.

My main concern with plasma is that the quality degrades over time, right? Have we noticed anything like that with LEDs? (Although plasma is roughly half the cost)