As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hey, its Hellboy.

• Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have all the trades. Any time I'm in a book store or comic store I have to check if there is a new one which I don't have yet. I'd never give up my Hellboy and BPRD trades.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just wish Mike Mignola would art more. It's not that I don't love Duncan Fegredo, John Arcudi, et al., but the guy is just such a good artist.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well why don't you?

I just finished collecting Hellboy up to the latest trade, now I'm working on BPRD.

What would life be like if I did things I'd enjoy? A disaster, that's what.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just wish Mike Mignola would art more. It's not that I don't love Duncan Fegredo, John Arcudi, et al., but the guy is just such a good artist.

I believe Mignola is going back to being the full time interior artist on post-"Storm" Hellboy projects (while still doing side Hellboy projects with Corban and Fegredo).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Really? That's cool, I really missed his stuff after reading the Chapel of Moloch. The Knights of Saint Hagan are the bomb.

I really like the way Mike potrays "good" supernatural forces. It'd be easy to have the forces of heaven, angels, God, etc jump in and shut down the bad guy's plan from a Deus Ex perspective. But that's weak story telling and would destroy the 'horror' aspect of mankind facing this crap on its own. Instead, good and saintly people, sometimes not so saintly (like Elihu Cavendish and Lobster J), reach out from beyond the grave and combat forces far more impressive than themselves. The good in the universe speaks through those who fought for it in life, which gives it a lot more impact.

The best example I can think of are the dead Inquisition soldiers in Strange Places. The villian is ranting on and on about how the Church is narrow minded and how his god (Urgo-Hem) lives within him and only he can save the world. Then, after the priest 'dies', the head Bishop verbally bitch slaps him to hell.

Plus skeleton knights are cool, just read Berserk.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I snagged the last copy of Hellboy in Mexico from the local comic shop on Cinco de Mayo and it was the most beautiful thing I'd seen in months

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hellboy, Pet Detective:
    17954.jpg

Never heard of beasts of burden before, but that cover alone is great. :lol:

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Munch on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Love Duncan Fegredo's art on the main Hellboy book, a little more ambivalent about the art in BPRD, but I'm all caught up on Hellboy and working my way through BPRD. Man the last Hellboy trade was awesome. Wild Hunt really advanced the story and mythology. And I'm loving the big bad thus far.

valiance on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Love me some Hellboy and BPRD.

Question:

I just finished the 'Black Goddess' trade and have 'War on Frogs' sat waiting for me on my shelf. However the increasing Lobster Johnson presence and the comments made by the artists at the back of the book make me fear I should have read the Lobster Johnson trade before I move on.

Are my fears founded or false?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    qwerty12145qwerty12145 Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    Awesome!!

qwerty12145 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The LJ story is pretty cool. It's like Indian Jones meets Flash Gordon. Plus he kills lots of Nazis and that's always good.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Lobster Johnson story was really good. I have never read a bad Hellboy/BPRD story. They are not all amazing, but I have yet to read something bad.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Man. War On Frogs was a bit rubbish. :(

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, if you want great military action against the frog spawn, just read Black Flame or The Warning. War on Frogs was just filler.

Here's a couple of good interviews with Mike about the future of Hellboy.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=25351

All I can say is, BPRD Helicarriers? *drool*

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oh ****

Major spoilers guys for "The Storm #3" Don't look unless you want to.
    f21swk.jpg

9lifif.jpg

D:

Shit just got real.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    At least she'll finally stop complaining about it.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    What's more interesting is that...
    The Ogdru Jahad have posessed Nimue, the seven are now one. Hellboy has decided not to lead either Arthur's army or the army of Hell just yet. That's good, but man, I can't imagine a grander climax to Hellboy than armageddon with undead knights, flying aircraft carriers, lovecraftian horrors and insane magical beings.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Could it be?

An actual injury that counts?

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    It's kind of hard to say. We are talking about a guy who gets impaled on a weekly basis and has had his horns grow back/get snapped off half a dozen times.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I wonder if this means HB and the Baba Yaga will have connected vision or anything. I mean, you can't really pass up on that sort of idea, can you?
    Issue 3 of the Storm: Weird seeing so. damn. many people showing up in the woods trying to curry favor with Hellboy. Those are some heavy hitters. Somehow I knew it was Asmodeus as soon as HB hit him. Dunno about Nimue, though. How come Ogru Jahad can just decide to spawn into our world all of a sudden? I don't care how much the Chaos likes you, I thought there were, like, rules. And the Right Hand of Doom owns the doorway, Hecate herself said that. Are we to believe if Hellboy simply got lost and confused enough, the mere absence of resolve in his heart would enable the Seven to climb into the material plane?

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well why don't you?

I just finished collecting Hellboy up to the latest trade, now I'm working on BPRD.

what are the latest trades by the way

i have all of them up to Wyld Hunt (#9) I believe but I don't know what has come out since then.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I wonder if this means HB and the Baba Yaga will have connected vision or anything. I mean, you can't really pass up on that sort of idea, can you?
    Issue 3 of the Storm: Weird seeing so. damn. many people showing up in the woods trying to curry favor with Hellboy. Those are some heavy hitters. Somehow I knew it was Asmodeus as soon as HB hit him. Dunno about Nimue, though. How come Ogru Jahad can just decide to spawn into our world all of a sudden? I don't care how much the Chaos likes you, I thought there were, like, rules. And the Right Hand of Doom owns the doorway, Hecate herself said that. Are we to believe if Hellboy simply got lost and confused enough, the mere absence of resolve in his heart would enable the Seven to climb into the material plane?

Well...
    They're still stuck in their crystal prisons, so no burning the Earth to ash... yet. However, they seemed to have posessed Nimue with a measure of their power, and that's very not good.

With the end of the visions in King of Fear, I'm really pumped up to see a G.I. Joe like BPRD fighting mankind's last stand against a legion of cosmic horrors. Though we'll probably see the end of the world at some point, I'm betting the "new Eden' constantly hinted won't be for the legions of monsters that sought all this carnage.

Whether it's the book of Revealations or the story of Lif and Lifthrasir hidden in the world tree, there's always some bit of hope, even after the world ends. And Mike knows his stories...

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Well why don't you?

what are the latest trades by the way

i have all of them up to Wyld Hunt (#9) I believe but I don't know what has come out since then.

the latest one is The Crooked Man and Other Stories

http://www.amazon.com/Hellboy-10-Crooked-Others-Graphic/dp/1595824774/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283761525&sr=1-3

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I saw Mike Mignola at DragonCon this year, but sadly I never got into Hellboy so I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have. He seemed like a pretty cool guy too.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    So yeah,

(Fury Spoilers)
    hellboyheart_02.jpg

This happened apparently.

Hellboy is in for some interesting times.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    I don't know. It seemed awfully anticlimactic to me. Maybe it's paced better when read as a collected trade. And likely, when it does come out in trade, there will be a Mignola epilogue added in that gives it better context in one way or another.

If this was supposed to be the final battle, they did a better version of it back in Hellboy: Makoma.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    From what I've seen of the final battle, it seemed pretty impressive to me.

I did like the monologue about how the world is ending, period, but HB and friends are fighting that the spirit of man may endure past the apocalypse. That's cool.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    So Russia is royally screwed up, but in true SOVIET style, they just keep truckin.

Any spoilers for Russia #5?

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    It is totally great, is what.
    I like that they continue to provide some fleshing out ho HO of Kraus, pointing out how he relates to other people and their issues. I like that vanity is kind of a driving force for him.

Also! That little kid Russian vampire? Kept in a frigging bottle on the desk of the Russian chief science dude. Surrounded by crosses/etc.

This issue is really more of an epilogue/wrapup, but I like that. Short stories shouldn't end at the climax.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    The main thing I'm gonna miss from now on is Guy Davis' art. I mean, he practically defined the series. The new guy is okay, but it's like getting a good hamberger after eating filet mignon for ten years.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    So, there's a BPRD summer camp now. This seems the place to post that.

Ages 9-17. Want to bet on a lot of nightmares for all involved?

• Options
    Well, I'm too old and live too far away to ever attend it, but, then again, maybe it wouldn't be entertaining enough for 30 year old me. I'll just enjoy the concept and think up what it might be without reality horning in on the premise.

If Dark Horse decides to make their own BPRD Scouts, though, then I'll start to weep for a childhood I never had.

• Options
    "And so, the burried bones of the alien star god were lost to time, their spectral essence oozing from the rotten ground to pollute the living wherever they may be!"

• Options
    Preview for the next group of Hellboy/BPRD stuff, and a page from Hellboy in Hell!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=40900

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Ooo, that's a buy.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    I'm completely caught up on my Hellboy trades and only one Christmas wish list behind catching up on BPRD. After getting The Storm and The Fury I set aside a few evenings to marathon my way through the entire Trade catalogue in one go.

So. Awesome.

Will be painful waiting, but my single issue aversion will force me to wait a while for HB in Hell.

A question I asked in the comic book questions thread and got no reply (presumably due to lack of capes on any characters involved :p)
    Hellboy/BPRD question:

Sir Edward Grey has two kinds of appearance in Hellboy comics. In the past as a paranormal invesigator to Queen Elizabeth, and in the present as a mysterious masked figure often seen hanging out at the base of the World Tree with the court of fairies and witches.

Have any of the comics yet covered how this transition came to be? Is the answer contained in the Witchfinder series or is it one of the Hellboy world's many mysteries still unresolved?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    The whole Edward Grey stuff, I'm pretty sure, Mignola is intentionally leaving unresolved for the purposes of future BPRD/Hellboy stuff. There's actually not that many mysteries left at this point, so it makes sense keeping Grey as the sort of Dweller on the Threshold of future developments.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Even though Hellboy fizzled out for me (all the setup didn't really pay off IMO - especially since it seems rather random that Big Red can walk away from some kinds of damage but apparently not others, even though it isn't clear what the difference should be), I'm interested in Hellboy in Hell, not least because I've missed Mignola doing the art.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    The main difference here is that Nimue was able to grab hold of Hellboy's soul as she was dying and drag him down to Hell with her. Hellboy's been able to walk away from literally everything else by sheer force of will because he's the Devil's son. I think in the past he assumed that he was mortal because of his whole denial thing, but after the encounter with the Ogdru Hem in The Island, he realized that he could take pretty much any damage and live.